2019-2020 Baylor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary Prompt:
1. If you have taken a gap year(s), please explain what you have been, or will be, doing since graduating from your undergrad institution. (2000 characters)

2. Is becoming a physician a second career for you? If so, what was your first career choice? (2000 characters)

3 (REQUIRED). Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you feel would be helpful in evaluating you, including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, prevailing over adversity. You may expand upon but not repeat AMCAS application information. (2000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Baylor College of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
On their website and the MSAR, they request that all of your LoRs are from the year before matriculation (i.e., 2019 if applying in the 2020 cycle). If one of my four letters is from 2018, do you think it's worth still applying?

On their website and the MSAR, they request that all of your LoRs are from the year before matriculation (i.e., 2019 if applying in the 2020 cycle). If one of my four letters is from 2018, do you think it's worth still applying?
@boolfish21 Baylor requires 3 letters, and maximum 4 letters. If you want to also still use the one that is out of date, it's pretty common to ask the letter writer to update the letter for you. He may add more to his letter, or may just change the date.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For those familiar with Baylor's admissions process, does Baylor look for any special sauce an applicant might bring other than high GPA, high MCAT, research, instate status and URM?

By special sauce, I'm referring, for example, NYU's and Wash U's exceptionally strong preference for high MCAT scores or Stanford's exceptionally strong preference for lots of research experience.

Does Baylor have anything similar to the above in what it's looking for?

Does Baylor have any preference or perhaps dislike for applicants who've done research in a Baylor Med lab or volunteered at a Baylor Med hospital?

Is it worth applying to Baylor as a CA ORM?
Compare your scores against their medians (3.93/518) and if you are in the range, and are interested in the opportunities in Houston, take a try.
No specific Texas ties are needed. Baylor accepts at most 15% OOS to a class of 186.

Last edited:
Does Baylor have any preference or perhaps dislike for applicants who've done research in a Baylor Med lab or volunteered at a Baylor Med hospital?

I was accepted and I have worked in a Baylor lab, so I wouldn't say that Baylor dislikes it. I'm not sure how much they like it but I assume that they probably made note of it when they reviewed me.

My interviewers asked more about another research experience I had (not at Baylor) but that may just be because they were more interested in that particular project

Reactions: 1 users
Compare your scores against their medians (3.93/518) and if you are in the range, and are interested in the opportunities in Houston, take a try.
No specific Texas ties are needed. Baylor accepts at most 10% OOS to a class of 186.

Is the Baylor median GPA of 3.93 based on AMCAS GPA methodology or TMDSAS GPA methodology?

I ask because 3.93 is a freakishly high media GPA if computed based on AMCAS GPA methodology.

I was accepted and I have worked in a Baylor lab, so I wouldn't say that Baylor dislikes it. I'm not sure how much they like it but I assume that they probably made note of it when they reviewed me.

My interviewers asked more about another research experience I had (not at Baylor) but that may just be because they were more interested in that particular project

Do you sense that Baylor is as research focused as a place like Stanford, which is notorious for its research focus?

Is the Baylor median GPA of 3.93 based on AMCAS GPA methodology or TMDSAS GPA methodology?

I ask because 3.93 is a freakishly high media GPA if computed based on AMCAS GPA methodology.
It’s an AMCAS school, so whatever they use. Texas loves high GPAs!

The latest % I saw published was on their admissions FAQ page and it said 15% OOS. I amended my post to 15.
I was looking for that and went by fast. I am not sure the way it reads it is restricted to 15% but it is possible they started taking more money from the state? I also see 10 out of 13 MD/PHDs being OOS and if you remove them (they have no limits), it does not actually meet 15% and it is more like 12%.

There was a time this number used to be closer to 23%.

Does Baylor College of Medicine give preference to Texas residents?
The class is composed of 85% Texas residents and 15% out-of-state residents. The admissions committee uses the same criteria to evaluate applicants whether they are in-state or out-of-state residents.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was looking for that and went by fast. I am not sure the way it reads it is restricted to 15% but it is possible they started taking more money from the state? I also see 10 out of 13 MD/PHDs being OOS and if you remove them (they have no limits), it does not actually meet 15% and it is more like 12%.

There was a time this number used to be closer to 23%.

Does Baylor College of Medicine give preference to Texas residents?
The class is composed of 85% Texas residents and 15% out-of-state residents. The admissions committee uses the same criteria to evaluate applicants whether they are in-state or out-of-state residents.
Yeah, I don't think the MD/PhD's are included in these totals, because you are right, they are more likely OOS.

Have they sent out secondaries yet?
They don't send out secondaries as they are completed through a portal. Last year, they sent an email after my app was transmitted with a link, but it was just a reminder as you can find the portal on their website.

EDIT: supplemental app opens July 1st.

Here is the link:

Happy writing :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
They don't send out secondaries as they are completed through a portal. Last year, they sent an email after my app was transmitted with a link, but it was just a reminder as you can find the portal on their website. If AMCAS hasn't transmitted apps yet, then that could explain why the email hasn't been sent this year. Either way, the 2020 supplemental app is already live so you can complete it now if you want.

Here is the link:

When you try to create an account, it says deadline was 1/31/2019

under important it says "Supplemental Application Available Online - July 1"

Reactions: 3 users
under important it says "Supplemental Application Available Online - July 1"
I saw that. They should lock down the create account until July 1st so people don't assume it is open to create an account. You get the error after entering all information.

Do you sense that Baylor is as research focused as a place like Stanford, which is notorious for its research focus?

No, I wouldn't say so. Most of the people I know who have gotten into Baylor didn't have as much research experience as I did. Imo Baylor likes research but isn't heavily biased towards it!

No, I wouldn't say so. Most of the people I know who have gotten into Baylor didn't have as much research experience as I did. Imo Baylor likes research but isn't heavily biased towards it!

A couple of quick follow up questions to help me figure out where I stand ...

1. How much research had you had at the time you applied?

2. Any gap years for research?

3. Are you MD/PhD at Baylor?

1. In raw hours, I think 1000+ hours. I have worked in a few labs and done a few summer research experiences. What you learn/gain from your research is more important than the raw # of hours

2. Nope!

3. Nope!

I've been to the Baylor campus and it looked wonderful!

Does anyone have information on what the one-on-one preceptorships entail?

I had no research experience and was accepted with scholarship. OOS. Everyone's experiences are different but there are definitely no minimum research requirements or anything like that

I had no research experience and was accepted with scholarship. OOS. Everyone's experiences are different but there are definitely no minimum research requirements or anything like that

Thanks for the insight. So what was your Golden Ticket to Baylor Med?

Thanks for the insight. So what was your Golden Ticket to Baylor Med?
High stats and athletics I guess. If you have strong stats and a couple stellar EC's you've got a good shot anywhere

Reactions: 2 users
I've been to the Baylor campus and it looked wonderful!

Does anyone have information on what the one-on-one preceptorships entail?
Current student finishing up MS1 here! You'll be assigned a doc somewhere in Houston (most likely in family med) where you'll go once every 2 weeks to practice interviewing patients and doing physical exams. Each week you go, you will have a new physical exam to practice in addition to the ones you've already learned. In my experience, my preceptor usually gave me a couple patients to see, interview, and do a physical exam on. Afterwards I would present to her and give a couple differential diagnoses (which was usually a pretty short list bc I'm an MS1 lmao). It's basically like taking baby steps in becoming a clinician.

They don't send out secondaries as they are completed through a portal. Last year, they sent an email after my app was transmitted with a link, but it was just a reminder as you can find the portal on their website.

EDIT: supplemental app opens July 1st.

Here is the link:

I tried to create an account to access the supplemental application but it is saying my deadline to complete this application has passed. it says my deadline was " 01-31-2019". Did anyone get this error too? am I missing something?

I tried to create an account to access the supplemental application but it is saying my deadline to complete this application has passed. it says my deadline was " 01-31-2019". Did anyone get this error too? am I missing something?
Wait until after July 1

Is it worth apply OOS with LM of 72? I would love to attend this school, but I want manage expectations.

Is it worth apply OOS with LM of 72? I would love to attend this school, but I want manage expectations.
it's like 140 bucks for an app+secondary i think so a bit pricey but of course its worth a shot and from last year the secondary doesn't look terrible or too long.

Don't expect to get in but i can't see it not being worth a shot especially as a female URM 72 LM

it's like 140 bucks for an app+secondary i think so a bit pricey but of course its worth a shot and from last year the secondary doesn't look terrible or too long.

Don't expect to get in but i can't see it not being worth a shot especially as a female URM 72 LM
I am a bit lost on why a female URM with a 72 LM won't be considered. Can you explain? I can see if there are other highly qualified URMs applying OOS.

I am a bit lost on why a female URM with a 72 LM won't be considered. Can you explain? I can see if there are other highly qualified URMs applying OOS.

They were saying it is worth a shot, but with a double negative.

Just got an email about their supplemental application. Anyone else getting this message when trying to use their portal?

Your deadline for completing this application has passed!
Please email the Admissions office if you have any questions.
Your deadline was: 01-31-2019

Just got an email about their supplemental application. Anyone else getting this message when trying to use their portal?

+1 to email and error message

I emailed them and they got back to me! They said IT is working on it and to try again after 12:00 pm.

This also happened to me. It looked like it actually let me use my Amcas ID to make an account and then when I tried to login it said Invalid ID/password combination.

They had a lock until July 1st to open secondaries. Someone forgot to open the lock.

1. If you have taken a gap year(s), please explain what you have been, or will be, doing since graduating from your undergrad institution. (2000 characters)

2. Is becoming a physician a second career for you? If so, what was your first career choice? (2000 characters)

3 (REQUIRED). Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you feel would be helpful in evaluating you, including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, prevailing over adversity. You may expand upon but not repeat AMCAS application information. (2000 characters)

@PapaGuava

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else submit their secondary, but when checking the BCM File Completion/Status check page, it says supplemental application not received? Does it just take a while to update? I wanted to make sure because their secondary page was a little clunky.

Anyone else submit their secondary, but when checking the BCM File Completion/Status check page, it says supplemental application not received? Does it just take a while to update? I wanted to make sure because their secondary page was a little clunky.
Probably takes some time to process.

+1, supplemental application and payment not received despite the fact that everything is submitted.

I am unable to submit my payment. I'm assuming everyone else has this problem as well. Getting an error message

I am unable to submit my payment. I'm assuming everyone else has this problem as well. Getting an error message
I paid mine earlier. My status updated to submitted and when I check my application it shows that I paid via credit. IDK if anything has changed since this afternoon.

Is the first question essentially a diversity essay? I plan on writing about how I am a first-gen college student and come from a low SES household- would this be appropriate?

Is the first question essentially a diversity essay? I plan on writing about how I am a first-gen college student and come from a low SES household- would this be appropriate?

First one is gap year essay. Do you mean the 3rd one? I used it as a diversity essay, but I think you can basically put anything you want. Your topic sounds good.