2019-2020 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Secondary Prompt:

Each question has a 250 word count limit.

1. Why do you think BCOM is the place for you and what qualities do you feel you would bring to BCOM that would help develop and foster the climate of our school?

2. Tell us about a time you were under a lot of pressure. What was going on, and how did you get through it?

3. Talk about a time when you had to work closely with someone whose personality was very different from yours. What were the challenges you encountered, and what did you learn from the situation.

4. Answer one of the following questions:
  • Discuss a time in which you failed at something other than an academic experience and how you responded to that failure. Reflecting back, would you change how you initially responded? Do you feel like you learned anything from the experience?
  • What does advocacy mean to you? Describe a situation in which you chose to advocate for someone different from yourself. How do you see this linked to your role as a physician and what risks, if any, do you feel might be associated with your choice to be an advocate?
The following question is optional and will not impact your admissions decision.
You may provide us with a video of no more than 2 minutes duration that will help us understand you better. To submit the video you created, please paste into the box below a valid YouTube video URL. The video will need to be marked Public or Public Not Listed. Alternatively, you may submit a physical exhibit (art piece, music, sculpture, etc.) to the BCOM Office of Admissions. Note that all material submitted is the property of BCOM and will not be returned.

Last edited:
Applied here as it’s one of my top choices, good luck to everyone! Any idea on how many applicants they had last year?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Got an email that they've received my primary. No secondary though :(

Reactions: 1 users
Just got the secondary but it's all greyed out and I've tried it in different browsers, anyone else running into this issue?

Just got the secondary but it's all greyed out and I've tried it in different browsers, anyone else running into this issue?
Same here, I'm unable to type in anything in the response boxes.

1. Why do you think BCOM is the place for you and what qualities do you feel you would bring to BCOM that would help develop and foster the climate of our school?

2. Tell us about a time you were under a lot of pressure. What was going on, and how did you get through it?

3. Talk about a time when you had to work closely with someone whose personality was very different from yours. What were the challenges you encountered, and what did you learn from the situation.

• Discuss a time in which you failed at something other than an academic experience and how you responded to that failure. Reflecting back, would you change how you initially responded? Do you feel like you learned anything from the experience?
  • What does advocacy mean to you? Describe a situation in which you chose to advocate for someone different from yourself. How do you see this linked to your role as a physician and what risks, if any, do you feel might be associated with your choice to be an advocate?
The following question is optional and will not impact your admissions decision.
You may provide us with a video of no more than 2 minutes duration that will help us understand you better. To submit the video you created, please paste into the box below a valid YouTube video URL. The video will need to be marked Public or Public Not Listed. Alternatively, you may submit a physical exhibit (art piece, music, sculpture, etc.) to the BCOM Office of Admissions. Note that all material submitted is the property of BCOM and will not be returned.

@PapaGuava

Anyone having trouble with application process? I keep adding in my essays and when I press save I am getting an error and they all disappear.

Welp. Me too. Don't think I will get one.
I received that email on 6/18 and the secondary this morning. So long as you meet the cutoff ( 3.0 sGPA and 493 or higher MCAT) you should get a secondary eventually. Seeing everyone else except you getting secondaries can def feel discouraging, but just be patient :)

Members don't see this ad :)
have not received a secondary from here yet, I got that they received my primary today. I'm sure a secondary will come once we get through their system

Anyone else having troubles with their portal? I can save everything except my question answers....

Anyone else having troubles with their portal? I can save everything except my question answers....
Yes, I cannot save anything in the application, it just keeps telling me there's an error.

So the first and last question boxes can be saved, but the middle two create the error if they are over 50 words. I emailed admissions to let them know

Last edited:
Has anyone been able to submit supplemental successfully? Page still shows up as error

So has anyone been able to submit their secondary? I am still getting the error message. I already emailed them and don't want to incessantly bug them, could someone else shoot them a message?

Considering submitting an art piece, anybody have any idea what they do with it? Lol.

Anyone have two of their prompts disappear? I went to work on my essays and they are gone. Questions 2 and 3 are gone for me.

Anyone have two of their prompts disappear? I went to work on my essays and they are gone. Questions 2 and 3 are gone for me.
Pro tip: ALWAYS work on your application stuff in google docs before pasting it over into your secondary or primary app. I have lost a good deal of writing that way....

Pro tip: ALWAYS work on your application stuff in google docs before pasting it over into your secondary or primary app. I have lost a good deal of writing that way....
Ya, I did that, didn't lose anything, just the actual questions in the app, but thanks for the advice!

Hey ya'll! Good luck this cycle!<33

I received the secondary today at 3:30pm. I got email confirmation that they received my application on 6/20.

I received the secondary today at 3:30pm. I got email confirmation that they received my application on 6/20.
Before you received secondary, did you get an email that your primary app has been received and will be reviewed?

Before you received secondary, did you get an email that your primary app has been received and will be reviewed?
Yes, that was the email I got on 6/20! Sorry if my wording was weird. So it took nearly a week!

I made the payment for the secondary, but the portal didn't update so I can't submit. I emailed BCOM, but I didn't get a response :( Did this happen to anyone else?

I made the payment for the secondary, but the portal didn't update so I can't submit. I emailed BCOM, but I didn't get a response :( Did this happen to anyone else?
I submitted yesterday and payment processed fine. I can't remember if this is one where you had to click return to merchant or not...

I submitted yesterday and payment processed fine. I can't remember if this is one where you had to click return to merchant or not...
Yeah, that's the one. I did click there, so idk what went wrong. They definitely charged my card though :/

@PapaGuava

So my secondary does not have the 4th question on it and each prompt has a 300 word limit instead of the 250 stated here, any others in the same situation?

So my secondary does not have the 4th question on it and each prompt has a 300 word limit instead of the 250 stated here, any others in the same situation?
Yea they changed the prompt sometime shortly after sending out the first set of secondaries

How many applicants here are out of state? I'm a New York resident who is currently attending graduate school in Connecticut, but I would love to move to the south or southwest. BCOM is definitely one of my top choices!

How many applicants here are out of state? I'm a New York resident who is currently attending graduate school in Connecticut, but I would love to move to the south or southwest. BCOM is definitely one of my top choices!
I'm from Texas

I only have two of the essay prompts for the school now: Why do you think BCOM is the place for you and what qualities do you feel you would bring to BCOM that would help develop and foster the climate of our school? and Answer One Question Prompt. Does anyone know why they took away the two other prompts?

I only have two of the essay prompts for the school now: Why do you think BCOM is the place for you and what qualities do you feel you would bring to BCOM that would help develop and foster the climate of our school? and Answer One Question Prompt. Does anyone know why they took away the two other prompts?

No idea it's the same for me, I'm still deciding whether or not to do the video. If I do it I'm going all out (cuz potential YouTube fame ya know?) but will it really impact my admission decision if I decide to do it or not? It says it will not impact the admission decision, but then why have it? Any current or matriculating student want to comment on this?

Matriculating student here - It really doesn't impact the ADCOM's decision to admit you or not. I got in without making one and I know many others who got in without one. FYI, this is not to discourage you from making one if you feel there is a unique attribute about yourself you need the school to really know. Good luck!

I can't find their COMLEX pass rates anywhere on their website, does anyone know if they've gone up? The BCOM thread from last year indicated they were between 80-85% for the first class.

I just got an email saying I will not be getting a secondary. Did that happen to anyone else? I have a 3.2/502 so I am unsure as to what is going on.

I just got an email saying I will not be getting a secondary. Did that happen to anyone else? I have a 3.2/502 so I am unsure as to what is going on.

Did they mention why? I’d imagine your stats should definitely be competitive enough

Did they mention why? I’d imagine your stats should definitely be competitive enough

Yes I called, my MCAT test date was June 2017 and classes start July 2020 so they will not accept scores bore July 2017.

Anybody know when they start sending out interview invites?

You may try contacting their admissions office! They are very friendly and I heard they typically provide feedback to improve your application if you reapply! Good luck yo~

Lot of OOS matriculate here

May be paranoid, but I just submitted my secondary and noticed the check box about not allowing federal student loans. My understanding of this is that once they graduate their first class, this is lifted and federal loans are allowed. Is this true? Does not allowing federal student loans truly concern anyone?

May be paranoid, but I just submitted my secondary and noticed the check box about not allowing federal student loans. My understanding of this is that once they graduate their first class, this is lifted and federal loans are allowed. Is this true? Does not allowing federal student loans truly concern anyone?

This is from Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine -BCOM - Choose DO

Yay for federal aid!

Reactions: 2 users