2019-2020 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Since all the interviews are done I wonder if they'd be open to telling people their positions on the waitlist now.
Most likely not going to happen guys. My guess for why they won't tell you where you are on the waitlist is - they probably don't go in order, yes they have highly ranked candidates but the committee re-visits those candidates and the entire list periodically and select few to call based on available seats - (not 100% certain on this btw).

So here's a hint that could help: you can call and ask them, "do you think I'm high enough on the waitlist to make it in this cycle?" Try that a couple of times! Remember to be nice each time you call :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
So how’s everyone holding up lol

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Holding and waiting. Much more stressful of a process than I initially anticipated.
Same lol, didn’t expect to hold out until this late in the process for either an acceptance or rejection

I think someone mentioned it earlier but I'm just gonna treat it as a rejection and start drawing up the documents again for re-application. But still keeping the faith.

Reactions: 1 user
I just got an acceptance today off the waitlist, will probably accept since I don’t have any others yet. I was notified by phone call first then an email right after. Good luck guys and don’t give up hope!

Reactions: 7 users
I just got an acceptance today off the waitlist, will probably accept since I don’t have any others yet. I was notified by phone call first then an email right after. Good luck guys and don’t give up hope!
Congrats!!! Would you mind sharing approximate stats and interview date?

Congrats!!! Would you mind sharing approximate stats and interview date?
Thank you! My stats were honestly not the best, I had a 3.6 GPA and an MCAT of 497 (took it twice and got the same score both times). I did have a ton of EC’s and shadowing hours and stuff tho so I’m hoping thats what helped. I interviewed (virtually because of corona) on April 10th and was waitlisted April 18th. Let me know if you’d like any other info, I’m glad to share!

Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations!!! Welcome to the BCOM family!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Thank you! My stats were honestly not the best, I had a 3.6 GPA and an MCAT of 497 (took it twice and got the same score both times). I did have a ton of EC’s and shadowing hours and stuff tho so I’m hoping thats what helped. I interviewed (virtually because of corona) on April 10th and was waitlisted April 18th. Let me know if you’d like any other info, I’m glad to share!
CONGRATULATIONS!!! you're giving hope to all of us.

What time did u get the call? (And time zone pls)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! First time posting, I received a call from BCOM yesterday at 10:30 am. I have accepted my seat, but I was waitlisted back in October. I did apply for the BEAR pathway. I'm a Las Cruces local, if there are any new students moving to Las Cruces in the next month or so, my sister has a house with two spare bedrooms about ten mins from the school. Rent will range from $400-500, which will include utilities and internet. Must be dog and cat friendly. Pm me please for more info

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys, just popping in to say I was accepted off the WL the same time-ish the previous two posters were.

MY PEEPS WHO ALREADY LIVE IN LC ... I’m noticing a LOT of rentals are not allowing applicants to look at the property due to the pandemic. That makes me extremely nervous when looking into a house rental.

Any thoughts or advice on the matter?

Hi guys!

I will be withdrawing my acceptance as I have been accepted at my in-state school. Kinda hurts, I have a soft spot for BCOM because they were my first A and I fell in love with the school on interview day. But I know my seat will be going to an amazing applicant. Good luck everyone!!

Reactions: 7 users
Hi guys!

I will be withdrawing my acceptance as I have been accepted at my in-state school. Kinda hurts, I have a soft spot for BCOM because they were my first A and I fell in love with the school on interview day. But I know my seat will be going to an amazing applicant. Good luck everyone!!
Congrats!!! Good luck to ya too!

Hi guys!

Goodluck!!!

Hey guys, just popping in to say I was accepted off the WL the same time-ish the previous two posters were.

MY PEEPS WHO ALREADY LIVE IN LC ... I’m noticing a LOT of rentals are not allowing applicants to look at the property due to the pandemic. That makes me extremely nervous when looking into a house rental.

Any thoughts or advice on the matter?

Congrats on your acceptance!! I'm not sure if the house rentals are doing it but I know the apartment complex I live in (the Flats) are doing virtual tours. I wonder if you can see if anyone is willing to do that for their houses that are up for rent? Just an idea!

@ M0 students, what date is orientation / first day of class scheduled for BCOM? Are they online? Im asking bc I read earlier that they wanted students to come to Las Cruces 2 weeks before to self quaratine, but does that mean WL movement ends then too i.e. to give those newly accepted students time to move and self quaratine? Just wondering....

Orientation begins 7/13 online. Class starts 7/20, online as well. They want us there before 7/5 because of NM state laws for travel right now. I can’t say how that will affect the waitlist, I’m not sure.

Orientation begins 7/13 online. Class starts 7/20, online as well. They want us there before 7/5 because of NM state laws for travel right now. I can’t say how that will affect the waitlist, I’m not sure.
Ty!!!! Well if they're both online and they historically accepted people up until the first day of class, I would assume they can still do that lol except the accepted WL students would just be quaratined and doing their online stuff while figuring out travel plans to the school OR BCOM could simply end the waitlist movement 2 weeks before....I'll probs email or call them tomorrow to ask unless someone else has any insight

Ty!!!! Well if they're both online and they historically accepted people up until the first day of class, I would assume they can still do that lol except the accepted WL students would just be quaratined and doing their online stuff while figuring out travel plans to the school OR BCOM could simply end the waitlist movement 2 weeks before....I'll probs email or call them tomorrow to ask unless someone else has any insight

So one of the admissions staff mentioned to me in passing that I was “lucky to get off the waitlist when did” because they’ll be letting students in “all the way up until orientation, most likely.”

So one of the admissions staff mentioned to me in passing that I was “lucky to get off the waitlist when did” because they’ll be letting students in “all the way up until orientation, most likely.”
Ayyyeee okay sweet! So WL ends July 13 basically??? AHHH thats only like 6 weeks but also having to wait that long will be agonizing

That’s great to hear! My SMP starts in 3 days so hopefully we hear back this week haha

Also just another PSA: Those with multiple acceptances/ that already know where they want to go, if you can please notify schools asap to drop your seats/ remove you from waitlists, that would be so appreciated!! This is the last month of hope for WL movement for those of us without any acceptances. And we'd rather hear back sooner than last minute so we can arrange housing, etc. Thanks!!!

Also just another PSA: Those with multiple acceptances/ that already know where they want to go, if you can please notify schools asap to drop your seats/ remove you from waitlists, that would be so appreciated!! This is the last month of hope for WL movement for those of us without any acceptances. And we'd rather hear back sooner than last minute so we can arrange housing, etc. Thanks!!!

You have until the end of July, up to the day of matriculation to receive notice of acceptance.

I thought medical schools already had a mechanism to figure out whether students are holding multiple acceptances.?

I thought medical schools already had a mechanism to figure out whether students are holding multiple acceptances.?

They do, but BCOM didn't catch my multiple As until my deposit had processed. :whistle:

I know someone told me not to watch the FB group but the numbers have been gradually going up and not everyone has/posts on SDN....We still have ALL of June tho so I'm hoping for a lot of movement these next few weeks. Also, idk if adcoms are really motivated rn during the BLM movements + pandemic. Who knows honestly....

Just got off the phone with someone from BCOM to talk about what I need to improve on for the next cycle, I thought it was really informative! Plus the staff is so nice, haven’t had a problem with anyone I’ve come in contact with from BCOM!

Just got off the phone with someone from BCOM to talk about what I need to improve on for the next cycle, I thought it was really informative! Plus the staff is so nice, haven’t had a problem with anyone I’ve come in contact with

Yes they are nice and informative. If you cannot make it this time, reapply next year. I got in after two cycle attempts with the same stats/MCAT score. Last year I got rejected post interview because of my poor communication skill. I reapplied and had the same interviewer who rejected me first time; maybe he was so tired of me so he let me in finally:)

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Yes they are nice and informative. If you cannot make it this time, reapply next year. I got in after two cycle attempts with the same stats/MCAT score. Last year I got rejected post interview because of my poor communication skill. I reapplied and had the same interviewer who rejected me first time; maybe he was so tired of me so he let me in finally:)

Having the interviewer you had the first time must have been a plus. He picked up on your dedication to getting into bcom

I know someone told me not to watch the FB group but the numbers have been gradually going up and not everyone has/posts on SDN....We still have ALL of June tho so I'm hoping for a lot of movement these next few weeks. Also, idk if adcoms are really motivated rn during the BLM movements + pandemic. Who knows honestly....
A classmate of mine was pulled off the waitlist the weekend right before orientation (in July) and one pulled off 2 days into orientation. Miracles do happen (if you believe)!

• Love
I got pulled off the waitlist yesterday. Good luck!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
When 5 PM MST passes by and still no A :cryi::cryi::cryi::cryi::cryi::cryi::cryi::cryi::clown::clown::clown::clown::clown::clown::clown::clown::clown:

Everyday after 4:30 PST passes, I just console myself and my fam with “Maybe tomorrow”. Keep the faith.

Weekends are lowkey the worst because we have to wait 2 whole days before anything happens lolol I feel so neurotic on weekends tbh

Always getting tense when someone calls you around 10:30 am thinking its the school

I’ve been following this thread for quite some time. I’m a very non traditional applicant. I’ll be turning 30 this summer, and have been waitlisted since December. All the anxiousness and overthinking, I feel it too. I just want all of you to remember to be proud of yourselves. You’ve all worked so hard to get to here, and it’s never too late. I promise that in the end, whatever is ultimately in your best interest will happen, whether or not we realize it at the time.

Praying you all are safe and well, and sleep well without anxiousness, not only in the weeks to come, but always.

Virtual Hug,
Kat

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Hi
I was pulled off the waitlist today and am thinking about accepting but I have to be honest. The school is not my top choice, I’m waitlisted at touro Nevada as well. What are the repercussions if I accept a position here and then get accepted to touro and withdraw from Burrell

Hi
I was pulled off the waitlist today and am thinking about accepting but I have to be honest. The school is not my top choice, I’m waitlisted at touro Nevada as well. What are the repercussions if I accept a position here and then get accepted to touro and withdraw from Burrell
At this point of the application cycle, I'd take any acceptance I can get. Look at it this way, what if you pass on the acceptance to BCOM and never get pulled off the waitlist at Touro this cycle? How bad do you want to get into Touro? Are you willing to wait another year, go through the application process, to maybe get into Touro?

The only downside I see is losing the deposit ($3k) to BCOM if you end up getting accepted at Touro. There are really no repercusions, you can withdraw your acceptance to BCOM up to the time when school starts if you do get accepted to Touro.