2019-2020 California Health Sciences University College of Osteopathic Medicine (CHSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know how expensive it is to live here?

I did undergrad in Fresno and lived in Clovis. Rent is anywhere from $600-$1000 a month depending on if you have roommates or not.

Reactions: 1 user
I did undergrad in Fresno and lived in Clovis. Rent is anywhere from $600-$1000 a month depending on if you have roommates or not.
That's cheap!

Reactions: 1 users
Hello Everyone!

Okay, so I just received their secondary but I am extremely skeptical on applying here. So far, I have just read negatives comments about it on SDN. Of course, my goal is to get accepted to medical school but I want a good education so I am able to pass my STEP exams and provide quality care.

What is everyone's opinion about applying here? What have you all heard so far?

Hello Everyone!

Okay, so I just received their secondary but I am extremely skeptical on applying here. So far, I have just read negatives comments about it on SDN. Of course, my goal is to get accepted to medical school but I want a good education so I am able to pass my STEP exams and provide quality care.

What is everyone's opinion about applying here? What have you all heard so far?
+1

Following along. My secondary is "due" in three days so I'm making the decision whether or not to submit it. A bit skeptical about the school, but just about everything here on SDN needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Following along. My secondary is "due" in three days so I'm making the decision whether or not to submit it. A bit skeptical about the school, but just about everything here on SDN needs to be taken with a grain of salt.
It is a big conspiracy to decrease the number of applications so they have a better chance of getting in!

It is a big conspiracy to decrease the number of applications so they have a better chance of getting in!
Lol, I'm not sure that would work for any medical school

The cons are that it is a brand new school and you will undoubtably feel the growing pains in the first class. As with any new school.
If you got rejected from everywhere else and this was your only acceptance, would you go there? If the answer is yes, submit the secondary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
If the cons out way the pros, I suggest you don't apply...there are plenty of well-established schools that are looking for equally capable candidates.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Finally just got the secondary today
Kinda starting to get skeptical about the school, but I guess I'll turn in the secondary as soon as I'm done with it

Alright everyone, I know a thing or two about this school and the city. But, do take what I have to say with a grain of salt. So, this school is for-profit but its important to understand the major stakeholders at play here. Per the website, the Assemi family is funding the creation of the school. The Assemi's are land developers. They run Granville Homes and build luxurious houses in some the more higher income parts of Fresno. They probably build homes in other surrounding areas but I cant say for sure. The Assemi's have been around for decades and bought a ton of land when they came to Fresno.

Anyway, the real estate market in Fresno has been increasing over the years. This is a great thing for real estate developers of course, because you know, greater profits. So what is one of the best ways to increase the value of property in an city? Developing academic institutions of course. Its well known that large academic institutions typically serve as the economic engine to the surrounding city.

A medical school is a great way to add value to a city. However, who is to say that the quality of this particular school will be up to par? What I am saying is that the motive behind this school isn't solely based educating the future generations of doctors, and increasing the physician workforce in the valley. I believe it largely has to do with bettering the business interests of the family that is building the school in the first place. This is a for-profit school after all. This is my opinion. TAKE IT WITH A GRAIN OF SALT.

This could be a great school that provides an incredible education. However, this school may also be a disaster in the making. My advice is that people give this place 5-10 years before making the decision to apply here. But, that's not practical right now. Someone has to be apart of the first few classes. Would you be ok with that being you? Its pretty well known that there are DO schools that provide a very poor experience compared to some of the more established DO schools. Proceed with caution. I bet that taking an extra year of two to reapply would serve most people far better than taking the chance to come here if it was there only acceptance. It could definitely lead to deep regret. And don't forget all that debt….

Keep in mind that the pharmacy school is also having problems as well. I believe the school still hasn't received full accreditation or was denied accreditation. I don't know much about that though. Something to look into.

Now, enough about the school. On to the city of Clovis and Fresno. Clovis is small city within Fresno but we all think of it as Fresno. I grew up here. Let me tell you, it is the definition of small town living. Clovis is suburban and life here is pretty stale. It's not terrible; just really boring. Nothing really goes on in this town. If you’re from Norcal or Socal, you will probably be deeply disappointed with your decision to study medicine here. The people who move to Fresno come here for two reasons. To work and to raise a family. The cost of living is cheap and the schools in Clovis are very good.

Young people (18-28) who are living in Fresno pretty much grew up in the town. They either attended Fresno State and stayed or left for college and came back after graduation. It’s pretty rare for someone from Los Angeles, for example, to come to Fresno for reasons other than a great job or family. If your from a big city, or from the San Fran, LA, OC, ect. area, I highly advise you DON’T come here. It's likely that you will NOT be happy living and studying in Fresno. It’s a bland town for people who are raising children. In fact, I remember meeting a cashier in a trader joes in Newport beach who left OC for Fresno to raise her two boys. After her boys left to college, she came back to OC.

The goal for many young people who grew up in Fresno is to LEAVE. At least for a few years. I left myself, and I could not imagine living out the prime of my life in Fresno. Just the thought of that is depressing….

Anyway, I wanted to be objective as possible here so you all can make an informed decision. Do some more research yourselves. Where you attend medical school is important. Make a decision that's best for you.

Reactions: 5 users
One of my friends went to their Information Night two weeks ago and said the admissions director mentioned that the first batch of interviews will begin the second week of September. Has anyone received an interview yet? Seems like they give short notice for interviews if that's true.

Reactions: 1 users
So I'm assuming this school doesn't offer financial aid because they only list private loans on their website. Anyone know?

So I'm assuming this school doesn't offer financial aid because they only list private loans on their website. Anyone know?
My understanding is that if the school is private, you cannot get federal/government loans. Private loans only :/

• Sad
Just got a secondary this morning. Submitted my primary 8/5

I have yet to receive a secondary and I submitted in June smh

I just got an email saying I didn't meet all their standards, then they listed a bunch of standards like certain GPA, MCAT, classes required, etc. I meet all of these standards, except I am entering my senior year so I still have a few prerequisites to take. It says in the email:

"Note: Degrees and courses currently in progress may be accepted, but it is the responsibility of the applicant to outline a plan to satisfactorily complete these requirements prior to matriculation."

Did they reject me because I'm a senior and still taking prerequisites, but expect me to email them my plan for senior year? I'm sorry but that seems kind of dumb to me. I have had NO problem with being a senior at any other medical school, some expect you to list your planned classes in the secondary but that's fine. I have to take like 1 chem class and 1 more English before I graduate but that's it.

Anyhow, I'm not going to sweat over this because I already have multiple DO II's and 1 MD II and this school doesn't sound great :) Just seems silly to me to think they will auto-reject anyone who has to take even a single class before matriculation.
I got the same email, except I do meet all the requirements... I'm wondering if this was simply their rejection email as well.. oh well!

I'm almost done with my secondary and I just realized that the school isn't even accredited yet lol... I mean I'll submit it but who knows how far I'll get

I just got an email saying I didn't meet all their standards, then they listed a bunch of standards like certain GPA, MCAT, classes required, etc. I meet all of these standards, except I am entering my senior year so I still have a few prerequisites to take. It says in the email:

"Note: Degrees and courses currently in progress may be accepted, but it is the responsibility of the applicant to outline a plan to satisfactorily complete these requirements prior to matriculation."

Did they reject me because I'm a senior and still taking prerequisites, but expect me to email them my plan for senior year? I'm sorry but that seems kind of dumb to me. I have had NO problem with being a senior at any other medical school, some expect you to list your planned classes in the secondary but that's fine. I have to take like 1 chem class and 1 more English before I graduate but that's it.

Anyhow, I'm not going to sweat over this because I already have multiple DO II's and 1 MD II and this school doesn't sound great :) Just seems silly to me to think they will auto-reject anyone who has to take even a single class before matriculation.

What standards did it list in the email?

My understanding is that if the school is private, you cannot get federal/government loans. Private loans only :/

The school is ineligible for Title IV federal student loans for four years. I believe until they successfully graduate a class. If any of us start next year, we will need to utilize private loans throughout the duration of our education. Class of 2025 should be eligible for federal loans, pending approval.

Private institutions can use federal funding, they just need to meet the other eligibility requirements.

Got the dreaded R but I still have the post-interview high *shrug*.

How'd your interview go? I'm sure you'll be fine for this app cycle!
Good actually! If you have any general questions, feel free to ask in the ATSU-SOMA thread. Anyway, for some reason, I don't mind the R from this school for some reason...

Sorry, a bit confused...who got a rejection pre-interview and who got an R after the interview? Also, I had no idea that they already started doing II.

Sorry, a bit confused...who got a rejection pre-interview and who got an R after the interview? Also, I had no idea that they already started doing II.
No one has actually interviewed yet

for those that got II when were you complete

Verified 6/3 and received the secondary on 7/2. My CASPer scores were available on 8/7 and its been radio silence since. So far they have been the only school to not send any sort of confirmation that all my material has been received :unsure:

II yay! A little nervous from the negative comments about the school.

Interviewing here on monday! I am very iffy after reading all these posts, but it is my first interview so should be a good practice either way.

Reactions: 2 users