2019-2020 California Health Sciences University College of Osteopathic Medicine (CHSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any chance for interviews still?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know anything about how long it might take to hear back after the interview?
Also any more information about the kinds of questions they ask during the interview would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know anything about how long it might take to hear back after the interview?
Also any more information about the kinds of questions they ask during the interview would be greatly appreciated!

I heard back two weeks after my interview. They called me in the morning.

They are really big on the central valley, their community, and being a DO school.

Reactions: 1 users
I got the call on the same Friday after a Monday interview. Thought I fumbled a lot on the interview and I finished early. I'm OOS with no ties but think I meet their mission. I would agree with the poster above. They definitely want to see a good understanding of Osteopathic Medicine and a mature ability to talk about your experiences

My interview experience was similar. It was my first, I was extremely nervous, and finished early. I think timing yourself would be helpful!

I heard back two weeks after my interview. They called me in the morning.

They are really big on the central valley, their community, and being a DO school.
I got the acceptance the friday after monday interview. It was a surprise, thought it will take them longer. I am pretty excited as Iam from socal. Def want to stay in California.

Reactions: 2 users
II just now! Available dates were 2/24 (6 of 16 spots filled) and 3/2. So excited! IS with ties to Central Valley. Complete around 10/4.

II as well! Torn because I am accepted to RVU and really want to go there, but also would really love to stay in CA. I'm worried about the COMLEX/USMLE, financial aid, and residency placement at CHSU since we have no info to go off of.

II as well! Torn because I am accepted to RVU and really want to go there, but also would really love to stay in CA. I'm worried about the COMLEX/USMLE, financial aid, and residency placement at CHSU since we have no info to go off of.
Congrats man, no reason not to interview. If you don’t mind me asking, I’m also in California, if it’s okay with can you share your stats. Hoping for an interview and wanted to compare to see if I have a chance.

Go for an interview there’s no regrets and maybe it’ll solidify your choice or you’ll really like it.

Hey!
Does anyone know in what hospitals will students from CHSUCOM will be doing their rotations?
I'm also worried about the COMLEX/USMLE, financial aid, and residency placement at CHSUCOM.

Also, those of you who have interviewed. Congratulations!
Can you please share your stats and what you thought about this school.
As someone from Central California, this school is intriguing.

Hey!
Does anyone know in what hospitals will students from CHSUCOM will be doing their rotations?
I'm also worried about the COMLEX/USMLE, financial aid, and residency placement at CHSUCOM.

If I'm not mistaken, I think I remember hearing that the school is partnered with the Clovis Community Medical Center since it's like really close by. And the website also mentions Kaiser, St Agnes, and Kern County Hospital. But there are a few other clinical sites in the Fresno area that I'm hoping may partner with CHSU in the future. I hear particularly good things about Valley children's hospital. Maybe there will be a way for students to take elective rotations or petition to rotate at these other local sites?

Hey!

They will have quite a few hospitals, all within an hour of the campus where students will be doing rotations. They have actually partnered with an already established DO school to allow that schools’s 3rd and 4th year students to rotate at the hospitals we will be at once we get to that point. They will serve as a resource for the inaugural class as somewhat of “upper classmen” in a sense. The school is state of the art and they work actively to continue to build relationships with hospitals in the community. Their desire to bring physicians to the central area of California was the main reason I applied here since I grew up in California. I can say that I interviewed at 8 schools, was accepted to 5, and this is where I will be going. After talking with staff and really understanding the schools mission, it was the perfect fit for me. Loved their layout for the curriculum and the teachers and staff will really be involved with our success since the class is so small. Trust me, they want you to succeed as much as you do. The inaugural class will have to set a standard that everyone will be looking at. As for financial aid, yes it will be private loans but after researching it, I’ll be able to get a lower interest rate and they offer deferment through residency. Additionally, they hope to be able to offer financial aid in 2 years once the school becomes more established (this was recently done with their pharmacy school). I encourage you to attend your interview and check it out. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at just how much this school has to offer, even with being a new school. I’m over the moon excited to be going here in July.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
If I'm not mistaken, I think I remember hearing that the school is partnered with the Clovis Community Medical Center since it's like really close by. And the website also mentions Kaiser, St Agnes, and Kern County Hospital. But there are a few other clinical sites in the Fresno area that I'm hoping may partner with CHSU in the future. I hear particularly good things about Valley children's hospital. Maybe there will be a way for students to take elective rotations or petition to rotate at these other local sites?

I really like this school and it is one of my top schools rn.
Can you please tell me where you got this information from because I would like to make an informed decision in case I am offered an acceptance.

They will have quite a few hospitals, all within an hour of the campus where students will be doing rotations. They have actually partnered with an already established DO school to allow that schools’s 3rd and 4th year students to rotate at the hospitals we will be at once we get to that point. They will serve as a resource for the inaugural class as somewhat of “upper classmen” in a sense. The school is state of the art and they work actively to continue to build relationships with hospitals in the community. Their desire to bring physicians to the central area of California was the main reason I applied here since I grew up in California. I can say that I interviewed at 8 schools, was accepted to 5, and this is where I will be going. After talking with staff and really understanding the schools mission, it was the perfect fit for me. Loved their layout for the curriculum and the teachers and staff will really be involved with our success since the class is so small. Trust me, they want you to succeed as much as you do. The inaugural class will have to set a standard that everyone will be looking at. As for financial aid, yes it will be private loans but after researching it, I’ll be able to get a lower interest rate and they offer deferment through residency. Additionally, they hope to be able to offer financial aid in 2 years once the school becomes more established (this was recently done with their pharmacy school). I encourage you to attend your interview and check it out. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at just how much this school has to offer, even with being a new school. I’m over the moon excited to be going here in July.

Hey I have a few questions for you. Would it be ok if I messaged you?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I really like this school and it is one of my top schools rn.
Can you please tell me where you got this information from because I would like to make an informed decision in case I am offered an acceptance.

Hey I have a few questions for you. Would it be ok if I messaged you?
Absolutely!

Just got waitlisted :( pour one out for me fam
Really wanted to go to this school

Just got waitlisted :( pour one out for me fam
Really wanted to go to this school
There is always room for movement before the school year begins! Look into opportunities to shadow DO's and send in an update letter! Don't ever give up until the cycle truly ends.

Gonna be withdrawing my acceptance here, hope it goes to one of y’all! :D

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Has anyone else not heard back yet since submitting a secondary?

Has anyone else not heard back yet since submitting a secondary?
I submitted early October and went 4mos without any word. I uploaded new activities in AACOMAS last week and I got an II like 2 days later. I didn't even have to reach out to CHSU via email to let them know about the updates. Not sure if this is coincidence, but I'd say you should update AACOMAS with something if you can. It just might catch their attention once the update is dispatched to them.

Also, for those who have already interviewed-- did the staff mention anything about when the academic year will start for admitted students? Sometime in July, or are they planning on August? Thanks.

Also, for those who have already interviewed-- did the staff mention anything about when the academic year will start for admitted students? Sometime in July, or are they planning on August? Thanks.

July.

Thanks! Would you happen to have a specific date? I'd call the office to ask but they never pick up the phone lol

Orientation is from July 21-23.
First day of class is July 27.

Has anyone applied for the private loans? What lenders and rates were you getting? PM me if needed. Sallie Mae is gouging me

I will let you know when I apply! I was worried about that too and was unsure of how soon to apply.

Applied here back in July. No response still. Has anyone been rejected.

Withdrew my A. Hope it goes to one of y’all. :)

• Wow
I just want to thank those of you who were accepted and not planning on attending for withdrawing your acceptances. Hoping to turn my Waitlist into an Acceptance :dead:

Does anyone know how many interview dates are left?

By the way, does anyone know if there have been any post-II rejections? Or is the WL just insanely long lol, trying to figure out how much of a shot I have being on the WL
There were a few post-II R on here. You still have a good chance. I'm sure there will be a lot of movement in the upcoming months when people start shuffling for their top choices.

II this afternoon, OOS
Will be withdrawing my application - hope it goes to one of you guys!

Last edited:
Can anyone who interviewed PM me please? this is my top choice school since I am from the central valley, hoping it goes well! thanks in advance

Love this! I am excited for the interview!

For those of you who interviewed: It sounds like the interview is a round of rapid-fire questions thrown at you. Is that right? Do they give you time to ask them questions afterward? Was it just 2 people grilling you about your secondary and asking you if you've memorized the tenets of osteopathic medicine, or what? Interviewing here tomorrow and this will be the first "non-conversational" interview I've had.

For those of you who interviewed: It sounds like the interview is a round of rapid-fire questions thrown at you. Is that right? Do they give you time to ask them questions afterward? Was it just 2 people grilling you about your secondary and asking you if you've memorized the tenets of osteopathic medicine, or what? Interviewing here tomorrow and this will be the first "non-conversational" interview I've had.
They have a specific set of qs they ask and u have 5 mins to answer each one. U can’t ask questions to the interviewers at the end apart from maybe clarifying a question. It was not conversational at all. They have opportunities to answer questions when you’re in a group.

They have a specific set of qs they ask and u have 5 mins to answer each one. U can’t ask questions to the interviewers at the end apart from maybe clarifying a question. It was not conversational at all. They have opportunities to answer questions when you’re in a group.

Yep exactly this! Try to pace yourself when you answer the questions, I know I had a disproportionately large amount of time left for the last one so I wish I had split my time up more evenly. Basically you're given a total of 25 mins (if I remember correctly) for the 5 questions and you can take as long or as little time as you'd like for each one with that overall limit in mind.

Yep exactly this! Try to pace yourself when you answer the questions, I know I had a disproportionately large amount of time left for the last one so I wish I had split my time up more evenly. Basically you're given a total of 25 mins (if I remember correctly) for the 5 questions and you can take as long or as little time as you'd like for each one with that overall limit in mind.

Thanks for the information! I appreciate it!

Someone please answer affirmatively and give me hope :/

I think real movement from the waitlist won’t happen till April, but hopefully I’m wrong and it will be sooner!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I can confirm that I know there has been movement on the waitlist.