2019-2020 California Northstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary prompts:
1) (Required) Why have you chosen to apply to CNUCOM? (250 words maximum)*
2) (Required) In the medical profession, you will be exposed to students, faculty, colleagues, and patients of various cultures and socioeconomic backgrounds. How has your involvement with diverse populations prepared you for potentially four years in Elk Grove, the greater Sacramento area, and the rest of the Central Valley? (250 words maximum)
3) (Required) What has been your biggest challenge in pursuing medicine? What have you learned as a result? (250 words maximum)
4) (Required) In which direction would you like to see healthcare progress over the next decade? (250 words maximum)
5) (Required) If your education has not been continuous since high school, please explain why. Examples of discontinuities include time taken off while obtaining your undergraduate degree, in addition to gap years. (250 words maximum)
6) (Required) If you have previously applied to medical school, what have you accomplished since that time that would warrant your admission now? (250 words maximum)
7) (Required**) Is there anything you would like the Admissions Committee to know that is not reflected elsewhere in your application? (250 words maximum)
8) (Required) Please share with us about a time when you needed to follow school instructions accurately. How do you ensure that you don't miss school instructions and your action is correct? (250 words maximum)

** Question 7 says required in the stem, however it has a little "Optional" tag beneath it. I do not believe it is required to submit the secondary.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: California Northstate University

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Secondary received 07/05!

I also need some guidance on one of their secondary prompts:
"(Required) If you have previously applied to medical school, what have you accomplished since that time that would warrant your admission now? (250 words maximum)"

Would I just put Not Applicable in the box?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received 07/05!

I also need some guidance on one of their secondary prompts:
"(Required) If you have previously applied to medical school, what have you accomplished since that time that would warrant your admission now? (250 words maximum)"

Would I just put Not Applicable in the box?
Yea

Secondary prompts @PapaGuava :

1) (Required) Why have you chosen to apply to CNUCOM? (250 words maximum)*
2) (Required) In the medical profession, you will be exposed to students, faculty, colleagues, and patients of various cultures and socioeconomic backgrounds. How has your involvement with diverse populations prepared you for potentially four years in Elk Grove, the greater Sacramento area, and the rest of the Central Valley? (250 words maximum)
3) (Required) What has been your biggest challenge in pursuing medicine? What have you learned as a result? (250 words maximum)
4) (Required) In which direction would you like to see healthcare progress over the next decade? (250 words maximum)
5) (Required) If your education has not been continuous since high school, please explain why. Examples of discontinuities include time taken off while obtaining your undergraduate degree, in addition to gap years. (250 words maximum)
6) (Required) If you have previously applied to medical school, what have you accomplished since that time that would warrant your admission now? (250 words maximum)
7) (Required**) Is there anything you would like the Admissions Committee to know that is not reflected elsewhere in your application? (250 words maximum)
8) (Required) Please share with us about a time when you needed to follow school instructions accurately. How do you ensure that you don't miss school instructions and your action is correct? (250 words maximum)

** Question 7 says required in the stem, however it has a little "Optional" tag beneath it. I do not believe it is required to submit the secondary.

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone else verify that their secondary is through an AAMC gateway? The whole site just looks a little sketch so just wanted to confirm lol

Reactions: 4 users
After finally doing question 8 (lol), secondary submitted!

What is question 8?? Now I’m curious lol

What is question 8?? Now I’m curious lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol wow

Would any current CNU students please shed some light on what you know about refinancing / consolidating Sallie Mae loans?? I want to know if it's happened with students successfully and to what extent it lowered their interest rates. Sallie Mae loans have incredibly high interest rates and knowing this would really help me out! Thank you.

Considering the instructions for the question RIGHT before this one say both “Required” and “Optional” this may be the most challenging question I’ve seen in a secondary.

Are we supposed to receive a "complete" email after we submit our secondaries or?

Sometimes the "complete" email isn't immediate -- I would wait a week then call if you're really concerned.

Ok so the mysterious “we’ve received your supplemental application” email finally arrived haha. Received and submitted 07/05 (CA applicant)!

Does anyone what the minimum MCAT requirement is and the lowest MCAT score that matriculated last year was?

How did you guys talk about the progression of health care? did you guys include insurance and cost related items, or how patient treatment should change? just want a general idea. The questions for this secondary are so fun and plentiful :)

Did yall e-sign the forms? or handsign it and then scanned it?

Has anyone gotten clarification about the certification form?

It says:

"California Northstate University College of Medicine complies with The Medical Board of California... as stated on their website you must disclose all convictions as well as all cases in which you pled guilty... this includes every citation, infraction, misdemeanor and/or felony, including traffic violations" (http://medicine.cnsu.edu/shareddocs/certification-form.pdf)

The following yes/no question is

"Have you ever been convicted of a crime based on the Medical Board of California's criteria of criminal convictions?"

If I have a traffic violation, should I check "Yes" for this question?

I've tried emailing and calling their admissions office but haven't gotten a response and I haven't submitted the certification form yet because I'm not sure about this question.

I haven't received an application complete email yet and submitted about a week ago.

It says:

"California Northstate University College of Medicine complies with The Medical Board of California... as stated on their website you must disclose all convictions as well as all cases in which you pled guilty... this includes every citation, infraction, misdemeanor and/or felony, including traffic violations" (http://medicine.cnsu.edu/shareddocs/certification-form.pdf)

"Have you ever been convicted of a crime based on the Medical Board of California's criteria of criminal convictions?"

I've tried emailing and calling their admissions office but haven't gotten a response and I haven't submitted the certification form yet because I'm not sure about this question.

I haven't received an application complete email yet and submitted about a week ago.
I have a speeding ticket from 4 years ago so I went ahead and checked "yes"... Felt weird checking yes though just for a speeding ticket! :/

"What has been your biggest challenge in pursuing medicine? What have you learned as a result? "

Is this just a re-wording of the typical adversity prompt? I don't know if I should write about school, or stick to my original adversity prompt which is about how I struggled to adjust to my current job position

"What has been your biggest challenge in pursuing medicine? What have you learned as a result? "

Is this just a re-wording of the typical adversity prompt? I don't know if I should write about school, or stick to my original adversity prompt which is about how I struggled to adjust to my current job position
I wouldn't use your typical adversity essay if it doesn't effect your actual path to medicine (i'm not sure what your current job position is; do you need your current job position to get into medicine?). For example, I talked about balancing all my activities during undergrad (I had to work full time and this made it hard to commit to all the required activities of a pre-med)

I wouldn't use your typical adversity essay if it doesn't effect your actual path to medicine (i'm not sure what your current job position is; do you need your current job position to get into medicine?). For example, I talked about balancing all my activities during undergrad (I had to work full time and this made it hard to commit to all the required activities of a pre-med)

Hmm, well my job is clinical based and it's a big reason why I want to go into medicine. Idk I'm just on the fences about talking about school bc I'm afraid they might think I'm making excuses or something. I did have to work a lot when I was at community college, which also made it hard for me to partake in premed ec's. Similar to yourself haha

Just submitted my application! I wish they sent me a receipt confirming my payment + my secondary right away to help with my neuroticism hahahha. ok gluck my beautiful friends! We got this :)

It says:

@Just_Another_CA_ORM, out of curiosity, did you ever get a response from the admissions office? I'm in a similar position, except it's not even a speeding ticket for me, just some benign, miscellaneous traffic violation.

Another criminal speeder checking. I have to assume that north state has the highest percentage of criminal applicants in the US.

• Haha
I got a secondary at 10:46 today. but their website's broken

11:47 websites fixed
Secondary as below

Essay Questions

Have you ever been exposed to long periods of significant stress in your life (months at a time)? Even if you haven’t if you were to encounter such a challenge, how would, or did you, cope with it.
0/1500 char

If you were enrolled in fewer than 12 units/credits for more than 1 semester/2 quarters during your undergraduate education, please provide a brief explanation below.
0/1500 char

Sometimes it is necessary to work in unsettled or rapidly changing circumstances. When have you found yourself in this position? Tell us exactly what you did.
0/1500 char

If you were working on a small group project and you thought that another student wasn’t meeting his/her responsibility, how would you feel about this situation and how would you handle it?
0/1500 char

If given the opportunity to attend medical school where would you see yourself in ten years?
0/1500 char

Diversity comes in many forms. How do you think you might contribute to the diversity of the class?
0/1500 char

Last edited:
@Just_Another_CA_ORM, out of curiosity, did you ever get a response from the admissions office? I'm in a similar position, except it's not even a speeding ticket for me, just some benign, miscellaneous traffic violation.
Hey, so sorry for the delay. Yes, I spoke with admissions and they said to mark Yes on the form if there were any traffic violations. You can then send in an email to admissions to give further explanation and they'll add it to your file.

Secondary as below

Essay Questions

Have you ever been exposed to long periods of significant stress in your life (months at a time)? Even if you haven’t if you were to encounter such a challenge, how would, or did you, cope with it.
0/1500 char

If you were enrolled in fewer than 12 units/credits for more than 1 semester/2 quarters during your undergraduate education, please provide a brief explanation below.
0/1500 char

Sometimes it is necessary to work in unsettled or rapidly changing circumstances. When have you found yourself in this position? Tell us exactly what you did.
0/1500 char

If you were working on a small group project and you thought that another student wasn’t meeting his/her responsibility, how would you feel about this situation and how would you handle it?
0/1500 char

If given the opportunity to attend medical school where would you see yourself in ten years?
0/1500 char

Diversity comes in many forms. How do you think you might contribute to the diversity of the class?
0/1500 char

It looks like they gave you a different secondary than the previous prompt. I submitted questions completely different than these in July.

Secondary as below

Essay Questions

0/1500 char

0/1500 char

0/1500 char

0/1500 char

0/1500 char

0/1500 char
On second look, looks like you may have accidentally posted in the wrong thread :)
The school you're looking for is here: 2019-2020 CA University of Science and Medicine

II just now! Worried about the "writing segment" ... haven't we written enough lol

9/20/19 is the date, they do not offer opportunities to reschedule either