2019-2020 Central Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Wishing all of you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

I know the waiting game is difficult, so for those of you on hold, waitlist, or general silence with no idea where you stand - I empathize and remember that feeling.

You'll get through this, it'll work out in the end.

I hope you enjoy some time with loved ones these next few weeks!!

:giggle:

Reactions: 6 users
I know CMU is closed right now but is CMED reviewing any update letters during the break? Is there a particular day that one should send update letters?

Does anyone happen to know how I could get in touch with other class of 2024 matriculants? I want to get a jump on housing arrangements and build some rapport with future classmates. Thank you in advance!

Does anyone happen to know how I could get in touch with other class of 2024 matriculants? I want to get a jump on housing arrangements and build some rapport with future classmates. Thank you in advance!
message me your phone number and ill add you to the groupme

so I combed through last and the year before's threads and I didn't see any waitlist movement until the last couple days of April and all through May. does anyone know of anyone getting accepted off of the waitlist earlier than that?

Anyone here still waiting post II, any updates? Interviewed back 9/27

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed 11/15 and also placed "on hold". Hopefully, our time is soon!

Reactions: 1 users
II on 01/06! Complete on 09/15. Took a while, but as a re-app who has never had an interview, I'll take it!

Anybody else interviewing on 02/14?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've called repeatedly, only to find out that my application has passed through the screening and is being reviewed by the committee that offers interviews. Is everyone else that is on hold receiving the same message? It's been like that for a while and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or if it just means they haven't sent a mass rejection email yet.

Last edited:
Is it is too early to write a letter of continued interest/update letter? I was interviewed November 8th, OOS was also placed on hold last month.

What is the difference between being on hold versus being on the wait list? Thanks!

Being on hold means they're still looking at your application and post interview you could either be accepted right away, put on waitlist, or rejected. Waitlist means you're definitely on the waitlist and will get offered a spot if/when one opens up

Does anyone know if CMU is still sending IIs. I haven't heard anything from them still

Does anyone know if CMU is still sending IIs. I haven't heard anything from them still

As of now, I'm not too sure. But what I do recall is the committee stating that November 8th was the halfway point of their interviews, apparently there were 7-8 more interviews to be done until their interview season. So they may still have some remaining. I can recall someone saying that they were called for an interview last minute 2 weeks before it was scheduled. Although it may feel narrow, hang in there.

Reactions: 1 user
As of now, I'm not too sure. But what I do recall is the committee stating that November 8th was the halfway point of their interviews, apparently there were 7-8 more interviews to be done until their interview season. So they may still have some remaining. I can recall someone saying that they were called for an interview last minute 2 weeks before it was scheduled. Although it may feel narrow, hang in there.
Thank you!

Is it is too early to write a letter of continued interest/update letter? I was interviewed November 8th, OOS was also placed on hold last month.
SAME!! Except IS. Also wondering the same thing. I’d rather the LOI not go to waste so if anyone could provide insight? I’ve heard that it might be good to wait until after they’re done with their interviews but idk.

This is my opinion, so take it over leave it:

1. a LOI likely won’t save you from a rejection

2. A LOI likely won’t speed up your review process if you’re on hold

3. A LOI MIGHT help nudge you off of a waitlist

4. patience is very important to this process, don’t contact the admin committee unless you have a genuine reason to (not because you’re anxious, not because it’s been a while, not because you want them to remember you).

So:
If you’re on hold: wait.

If you’re waitlisted: I’d still wait til mid-end of February to time it better.

Just my 2 cents. I had to time my contact with residency programs very carefully and strategically as well. So... I’m kinda in the same boat as you guys, just on the other end. At least I have an end date to the wait, 57 days from now, on March 20.

Reactions: 10 users
Canadians who have applied to Central Michigan, and received II/acceptance, do you mind sharing your stats? I submitted the secondary in September and have heard nothing :(

Canadians who have applied to Central Michigan, and received II/acceptance, do you mind sharing your stats? I submitted the secondary in September and have heard nothing :(
In the same boat!! I’m Canadian as well and was complete in late August... silence since then!

I've heard that CMED doesn't actually factor in GPA/MCAT in the decision to send IIs

They say that they'll send II until the beginning of March

Does anyone know when they will be having their next meeting about post II decisions?

During the interview on 1/17 they said that the committee was meeting in about a week and a half but didn’t give exact dates. I’m assuming they met today?
Yeah, at my 1/10 interview it was mentioned that the adcom was meeting at the end of the month. From what I've seen from this and past CMED threads, they meet on Mondays.... and decisions come out that following tuesday... in other words, today.

But no thread activity today. So either I'm wrong or only non-sdn people have been contacted today.

THE SUSPENSE CONTINUES

My phone rang and I got excited but it was just a social security scam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Sad
  • Wow
Does anyone know if CMU is still sending out iis? I have been silent since july! Or do they send out pre-ii rejections?

Any of those acceptances off of the waitlist?
On my admissions folder, it says that offers off the waitlist are made from April- July so I'm guessing that there might be a good amount of waitlist movement then. I hope this helps!

On my admissions folder, it says that offers off the waitlist are made from April- July so I'm guessing that there might be a good amount of waitlist movement then. I hope this helps!

In past years there is significant movement during those months, usually in early to mid-April. A good thing to recall however is that CMed is establishing itself very successfully; as rank lists are released and every year 100% matches are attained the waitlist movement may decrease as people see CMU is a school that can assure success as a future resident and physician. It's always good to have a backup plan, a way to increase competitiveness for another cycle - which I hope NONE of you have to go through.

Hang in there, I'm rooting for you!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Interviewed in Nov and radio silence since... anyone else in the same boat?

II! OOS/URM/No Update Letter/No IS ties/Complete 8/02.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
II this morning! IS and complete on 9/7.

Hi, can any current student elaborate on the cadaver lab? Is it hands-on or observation? Or any other information?

Hi, can any current student elaborate on the cadaver lab? Is it hands-on or observation? Or any other information?
We have a prosection lab! Instructors, anatomy grad students, and M3s/M4s dissect the bodies beforehand and we learn from pinned structures in the lab. It's very self-study oriented but super doable. CMED got a new anatomy instructor last year and there are some changes to the way lab is handled.

There were a few hiccups at the beginning of the year, but the administration and faculty are super receptive to feedback and continually improve the way anatomy runs based on feedback. It's a longitudinal type of class so you're learning anatomy throughout two years, but it coincides with what organ block you're in so it's not like you're learning something irrelevant to the rest of your studies (except foundations, which is a ton of information thrown at you at once, and anatomy doesn't completely align with that).

• Love