2019-2020 Chicago Med at Rosalind Franklin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Last year they sent em out early I'm a little surprised we haven't gotten any yet

Secondary received.

@PapaGuava

Please discuss challenges in your journey thus far to medical school. (150 words)
Please specially discuss how, if admitted to our program, your admission would contribute to the diversity of the Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science community. (150 words)

Last edited:
Secondary received, same prompts as last year!

Please discuss challenges in your journey thus far to medical school. (150 words)

Please specially discuss how, if admitted to our program, your admission would contribute to the diversity of the Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science community. (150 words)

Where can I find my temporary pin? I don't see it on my email.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone understand what they mean by "challenges in your journey thus far to medical school"? Do they want academic challenges? I ask because when most schools ask that question they state that they are specifically looking for OTHER challenges...

Does anyone understand what they mean by "challenges in your journey thus far to medical school"? Do they want academic challenges? I ask because when most schools ask that question they state that they are specifically looking for OTHER challenges...

wondering the same thing!!

Just got a secondary! Glad to see they're not using just a google form this year!

Secondary received 07/11! I am ready to submit my secondary, but it is not allowing me to input my AAMC ID # into the box. Is anyone else facing this same problem?? I called their office, but no one answered. Sending an email now!

Should we talk about our growth from our challenges or is it just asking for challenges we have faced?

OOS, AMCAS verified 6/28/19, secondary received 7/11/19. Good luck everyone!

Also wondering this.. not sure if i should write about academic challenges or something else..

I am wondering about this too. I have my "obstacle" essay that talks about 1 major event that has happened during my premed time, but since the question is plural I wonder if I should talk about other hurdles.

Secondary received 07/11! I am ready to submit my secondary, but it is not allowing me to input my AAMC ID # into the box. Is anyone else facing this same problem?? I called their office, but no one answered. Sending an email now!
Just got an email back and they fixed it! The box should no longer be there!

Reactions: 1 users
I am wondering about this too. I have my "obstacle" essay that talks about 1 major event that has happened during my premed time, but since the question is plural I wonder if I should talk about other hurdles.
I'm more talking about just one instance because 150 words is so short, I don't know how you could really do much more

Secondary received. For the "challenges" prompt, would getting rejected from medical schools last cycle be considered an adequate "challenge on my journey to medical school"? I did not have any huge non-academic challenges during undergrad... getting rejected last year was definitely my biggest hurdle but not sure how this would be viewed by the RFUSM adcom??

I took the "challenge" essay as my adversity in going to med school. (first-gen, economically disadvantaged, bankruptcy, homelessness, etc.) FWIW.

Reactions: 2 users
Submitted; payment went through, and when I click on the application it says complete. But checklist still has X will wait a day or two to see if it updates like the little warning says.

Submitted; payment went through, and when I click on the application it says complete. But checklist still has X will wait a day or two to see if it updates like the little warning says.
My checkmark showed up about an hour after

Reactions: 3 users
Secondary received. For the "challenges" prompt, would getting rejected from medical schools last cycle be considered an adequate "challenge on my journey to medical school"? I did not have any huge non-academic challenges during undergrad... getting rejected last year was definitely my biggest hurdle but not sure how this would be viewed by the RFUSM adcom??
I think this is a good one as long as you are a re-applicant to RFUSM specifically. If you didn't apply there last year, don't tell them you are reapplying this cycle.

I would not highlight the failure of a previous application, especially since that does little to set you apart from many applicants (only 40% get in, many re-apply at least one more time).

Do you have other life experiences that were difficult? Previous jobs or the like that you needed to get through school (ie paying for school, or paying off loans) etc

I would not highlight the failure of a previous application, especially since that does little to set you apart from many applicants (only 40% get in, many re-apply at least one more time).

Do you have other life experiences that were difficult? Previous jobs or the like that you needed to get through school (ie paying for school, or paying off loans) etc
I disagree, but that's just me. If you feel that you've somehow improved between now and the previous cycle and you can show that within the 150 words than that can be beneficial. Showing not only the application improvement but personal growth I'd say go for it, because it's understandable to have this as a challenge.

I disagree, but that's just me. If you feel that you've somehow improved between now and the previous cycle and you can show that within the 150 words than that can be beneficial. Showing not only the application improvement but personal growth I'd say go for it, because it's understandable to have this as a challenge.
I agree. I approached this essay from an academic standpoint and used it to explain my non-trad background and upward trend. As long as you justify it and tie into the prompt, whatever you write will be fine I’m sure!

For what it's worth I also couldn't get either of my cards to go through on the payment (thought I was just broke), logged out and back in again, then it went through no problem. For those submitted already, did anyone get a complete email or something? I got a confirmation of payment but not anything else

For what it's worth I also couldn't get either of my cards to go through on the payment (thought I was just broke), logged out and back in again, then it went through no problem. For those submitted already, did anyone get a complete email or something? I got a confirmation of payment but not anything else

No complete email (yet)! Just payment confirmation!

Reactions: 1 users
Oh my god everyone wrote about their denial from schools last year.... FML goto write another challenge now lol

Oh my god everyone wrote about their denial from schools last year.... FML goto write another challenge now lol

Well it's not a particularly unique answer considering what other posters have said, specifically, that the majority of people who apply to medical school get rejected, and of that population a significant amount reapply.

Well it's not a particularly unique answer considering what other posters have said, specifically, that the majority of people who apply to medical school get rejected, and of that population a significant amount reapply.
I was not being sarcastic, I am truly devastated lol I completely agree with you. Anyone reading this, maybe write about another challenge bc it looks like everyone is writing about being rejected.

I was not being sarcastic, I am truly devastated lol I completely agree with you. Anyone reading this, maybe write about another challenge bc it looks like everyone is writing about being rejected.
I'm non-trad in the sense though that I've gotten a master's degree and when I was rejected that was 3 years ago lol. It's a bit different.

I also don't really get their challenge question.. is it just a super short adversity essay? Or does it have to directly have impacted your medical school application or pre-med academics? My adversity essay is about overcoming/coping with the death of a close friend while in college... but I also had to work throughout most of college/apps and had an unfortunate accident requiring me to withdraw from some classes (which I use to explain gaps in education/withdrawals for other schools)... just not sure what they are going for here

Is anyone else a recipient of FAP and not have their application fee waived on the secondary?

I'm obviously going to write both essays but looks like they're actually optional.

"Applicants are asked to complete two optional essays to further inform our committee. Each Essay answer should be no longer than 150 words."