2019-2020 Columbia VP&S

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm gonna go ahead and add that I had one student and one faculty interviewer, and at the end of my interview my faculty interviewer said "I hope you decide to come to Columbia next year!" This is a faculty interviewer who no one has reported hearing from either in this year's thread or last year's.

So 1) It's an extra rough look for me because I have not received a call today and 2) seems like a bizarre/cruel thing to say if you're an exclusively R/WL interviewer which leads me to believe that R/WL-only interviewers are not a real thing and 3) y'all are overestimating the number of people who post on SDN. We are a very small, very loud cross section of applicants

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Gosh I hate to be that person... but unless your interviewer is a surgeon (because they could have been operating) the calls are probably done. There have been some cases of an interviewer calling late or the next day but those were very rare instances that I would not bank on that being the case today . With that being said, I do want to say that there is definitely waitlist movement here at the school! A lot of kids in our class and past classes came off the waitlist. My biggest advice would be if you really want to come here is to keep sending updates and event a letter of intent if you’re truly interested. Trust me, although Columbia wouldn’t ever have a problem filling up their class they tend to keep a very close eye on applicants who show they’re serious about wanting to go there.
It’s really over....

Also allow me to alleviate everyone’s fears and dead this topic right now. Columbia does NOT have R/WL interviewers.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok thank you for that clarity!
With that, I’m officially done caring about Columbia for med school. It was a dream but one I’ll defer for now. Good luck everybody else :) y’all were super nice and hope some of you come to the other school I’ll be attending!!

Really love the energy here ❤️ Seems to me like a waste of energy to invest so much energy and hope in a school w a process like this. Guess it’s all over folks- see you when residency time comes around

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
One final salute to my fellow comrades and fallen warriors. It's been real and I am honored to have received an interview here.
1583197247606.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 16 users
Hey guys, I've cried twice and have drank three glasses of red wine, but then I realized something really crucial. If I'm not moving to NYC next year and living in a dorm room or shoebox apartment, I get to keep my cat! And damn, do I love the heck out of my cat.

Please find your silver lining lol

• Love
Reactions: 25 users
I'm gonna go ahead and add that I had one student and one faculty interviewer, and at the end of my interview my faculty interviewer said "I hope you decide to come to Columbia next year!" This is a faculty interviewer who no one has reported hearing from either in this year's thread or last year's.

So 1) It's an extra rough look for me because I have not received a call today and 2) seems like a bizarre/cruel thing to say if you're an exclusively R/WL interviewer which leads me to believe that R/WL-only interviewers are not a real thing and 3) y'all are overestimating the number of people who post on SDN. We are a very small, very loud cross section of applicants

I feel you, my dude. Seems like a letdown for your interviewer to say that, but remember their opinions are likely just one input. I like to imagine them sitting at the table and being your champion when the committee votes. “Let me tell you about how PHENOMENAL my conversation with doctorateintraderjoeswine was!”

I’ve helped interview for undergraduate admissions before in a similarly competitive environment. I always told my interviewees that I hoped they chose [School X], because at the end of the day, virtually all of them were highly qualified and each one of them would have brought incredible perspectives to the school. The reality was that with the admission rate so low, most were not accepted, even with a spectacular interview report. But that didn’t stop me from trying, and I like to think your interviewer tried (and may continue trying) the same on your behalf!

Anyways, the cycle isn’t over yet!

Columbia University P&S: VP&S Decision

"Dear XX,

The Admissions Committee for Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians & Surgeons has released the admissions decision for the class matriculating in August 2020.

To access your decision, please follow the following instructions:

1. Navigate to https://apply.med.columbia.edu
  2. Username: Same as your AMCAS ID (8 digit number)
  3. Password: PASSWORD
  4. Click on Admissions Decision
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact the Office of Admission at 212-305-3595 or [email protected].

Sincerely,

VP&S Admissions"

Reactions: 1 user
Any thoughts on what no email yet means?

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn honestly I know I’m just upset but what’s wrong with sending all emails at the same time. Like hollllllllly can you stop with this staggered release ****

Reactions: 5 users
Does columbia offer merit aid? apologies if this info is easily found elsewhere.

Lol looks like I’m not the only one that went from being elated about acceptance to crazy-worried about finances.

• Haha
Someone on last year's thread mentioned getting a 1/4 tuition Dean's scholarship, so maybe ~15k is the max?

No email or portal update yet. Assuming WL will come later. Not sure why these are staggered.

• Angry
Reactions: 6 users
+1, thought the delay was gonna mean waitlist but nah
+2. On the bright side, it means I don't have to hold out any longer. Good luck to those who end up on the waitlist and congrats to those of you who were accepted!

by the way to the future neurotic premeds applying next year reading this. interviewed in september by JA who caught me off guard by starting the interview telling me i had one of the most competitive apps he had ever seen and virtually told me he was sure id be accepted. hard R today lmao it stings

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 16 users
No email yet but my portal updated with this immaculately worded rejection letter under the admissions decision tab

Attachments

• 98C38B4C-3E3E-499C-AE57-5BBFF8ABA675.jpeg
    98C38B4C-3E3E-499C-AE57-5BBFF8ABA675.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 400
  • Wow
  • Sad
WL just now. grateful to have made it this far. and congrats to everyone who was accepted :)

Reactions: 3 users
Wait...is this for real or photoshopped?

It’s for real hahaha I’m not sure if it broke because of mobile or if it hasn’t officially updated because I haven’t received the email but this is definitely earning them a slot in the roast thread

Edit: just got the email which has actual appropriate language

by the way to the future neurotic premeds applying next year reading this. interviewed in september by JA who caught me off guard by starting the interview telling me i had one of the most competitive apps he had ever seen and virtually told me he was sure id be accepted. hard R today lmao it stings

Same interviewer, same exact quote. Please take what your interviewers say with a grain of salt. Your performance on interview day here and many other programs holds virtually no weight. It’s more of an excluding factor if it goes poorly.

Waiting for someone to post some WL stats...

Waiting for someone to post some WL stats...

MSAR doesn't have them unfortunately, but I've heard they give out far more WLs than Rs at this stage. Judging also by how many people on this thread were waitlisted, I'd imagine the WL pool is pretty large.

Same interviewer, same exact quote. Please take what your interviewers say with a grain of salt. Your performance on interview day here and many other programs holds virtually no weight. It’s more of an excluding factor if it goes poorly.
I agree. So far my acceptances have come from schools where my interview was pretty average, and what I thought were my best interviews led to R/WL. I’m honestly convinced that the decisions are already made, and that interviews are just a formality.

Reactions: 2 users

Oof, I don't know if JA knows how sweet he is because there's no way every kid he interviews can be accepted. But every single person who has had him has more or less gotten such wonderful compliments and affirmation.

Know that you definitely are one of the most competitive applicants in the country for having made it all the way to the Columbia interview! No one can control how the committee works, but I've been so impressed by every interviewee I've met. We're all going to make an amazing generation of doctors no matter where we end up.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users