2019-2020 Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Any current students at DMUCOM willing to give some pros/cons about the school and/or Des Moines as a city?

Looks like a great school, I just want to hear it from the horse's mouth. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Any current students at DMUCOM willing to give some pros/cons about the school and/or Des Moines as a city?

Looks like a great school, I just want to hear it from the horse's mouth. :)

I'm not a current student- but I am working as a researcher here this summer and am applying for the DO program! It's an amazing school- everyone is so nice, it's like a family. The facilities are amazing. Des Moines is a great city- I've lived here my whole life. You experience all four seasons-definitely a plus that DMU has tunnels so you never have to go outside when it's cold and snowy! I don't have any cons to share :)

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an email with a link to their portal. It says that they'll be doing initial reviews of apps in the next two weeks to see if all supplemental materials have been received.

Just got an email about my app being complete! Also says they should be informing applicants of post-review decisions within 90 days.

For those who submitted a primary app via AACOMAS and received an email about being complete, how long did that take?

Also, is there no supplemental fee to apply?

TIA!

Members don't see this ad :)
It appears to me that they require a committee letter AND a letter from a physician. What if that letter is already included in my committee letter? Will the physician have to submit it again separately to DMU or do you think I could call them and say that it's attached to my committee letter?

It appears to me that they require a committee letter AND a letter from a physician. What if that letter is already included in my committee letter? Will the physician have to submit it again separately to DMU or do you think I could call them and say that it's attached to my committee letter?
Definitely call and ask. You don't want to risk waiting too long and have them tell you they need a separate letter. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

First II of the cycle in my email yesterday. Mid-to-late August dates open. Scheduled for August 15th.

Reactions: 6 users
DMU didn’t have any essays besides the one on primary, correct? Just making sure. It’s hard to keep all these schools straight lol.

DMU didn’t have any essays besides the one on primary, correct? Just making sure. It’s hard to keep all these schools straight lol.
Correct. I appreciate that there doesn't seem to be a secondary fee-some schools that have gotten rid of secondary applications still have secondary fees....rude..

Reactions: 1 user
Are people taking the optional casper test?

I applied to other schools that required it so I took it, but if you are only applying to schools where it is optional I probably wouldn't bother.

I took the CASPER already, but if it's optional I'm considering not sending it to DMU because what if I'm considered a sociopath? I have no idea how I scored so it might be a bit of a risk.

I took mine and sent it to them without knowing it was optional. So if I’m a sociopath then so be it /:

I'd still send it. Anything that could potentially give your application a nudge in the right direction is worth it in my opinion.

Got an II today! First of the cycle! Completed July 5th for anyone wondering

Reactions: 7 users
So this is kind of a weird question, but I figured I'd ask you all. I am working on the essay and when it asks "How have these experiences impacted you and your pursuit of osteopathic medical education as it relates to the mission of Des Moines University?," are they literally just talking about their mission of "To improve lives in our global community by educating diverse groups of highly competent and compassionate health professionals." or do they want you to go more in depth about why you are a good fit for the school?

So this is kind of a weird question, but I figured I'd ask you all. I am working on the essay and when it asks "How have these experiences impacted you and your pursuit of osteopathic medical education as it relates to the mission of Des Moines University?," are they literally just talking about their mission of "To improve lives in our global community by educating diverse groups of highly competent and compassionate health professionals." or do they want you to go more in depth about why you are a good fit for the school?
I don’t think they mean their literal written mission, more like their emphasis on primary care and why you fit in.

I took the CASPER already, but if it's optional I'm considering not sending it to DMU because what if I'm considered a sociopath? I have no idea how I scored so it might be a bit of a risk.
No offense but we have enough sociopaths in medicine already....if you are one go into finance or something. If you're not, don't worry about casper.

I took it to mean their literal written mission :shrug:
I usually assume schools mean the literal mission posted on their website. It's not usually hard to incorporate into your app, because most are just generic goals about serving others through medicine, bringing positive change, etc. I think that's what most of us want to do if we're going into medicine.

that's insane to already receive an interview this early in the cycle. Congrats to all of you. Hopefully mine will be coming soon because this is one of my top schools :)

Reactions: 5 users
what day of the week were the interviews scheduled? when were you complete?

Thursday and Friday. Maybe a single Monday. Got the application complete email last week.

II just now. OOS and LM 70-72. Complete 7/2

Reactions: 3 users
Getting a little neurotic about lots of II's going out to people that were completed after me :shrug: I was complete on 6/28 and haven't heard a peep, do they send II's out in order of how they receive the apps or is it pretty random? Any cause for concern?

MCAT 507, cGPA 3.87, sGPA 3.91

Getting a little neurotic about lots of II's going out to people that were completed after me :shrug: I was complete on 6/28 and haven't heard a peep, do they send II's out in order of how they receive the apps or is it pretty random? Any cause for concern?

No cause for concern yet. Maybe the person assigned to review your file is a bit slower?

Usually people with connections to the school and high stat people. Your stats are good and you will get an interview Most likely. Just try to relax!

A few things before this thread blows up.

1) I’m an incoming 3rd year here and try to answer questions because people did it for me.
2) highly recommend going through last cycles application thread. It gives you ideas of when milestones for IIs and such are, as well as answers lots of questions about the city, school, etc.
3) AFTER you do the above step, if you still have questions, pm me. I’ll try to answer some but if it’s a question I know is on here somewhere I’ll tell you.
4) I have been very happy with my decision here and wouldn’t change anything, although I’m not gunning for anything more competitive than a middle-level IM fellowship tops. If I wanted to be a high level cardio-dermato-neurosurgeon I would’ve gone MD. Make sure you know what additional hurdles DOs face.

The biggest thing is to not let this cycle or this process control your life. There’s plenty of time for that later and SDN is a cesspool of neuroticism so don’t buy in. Enjoy the hell outta your time now because once you get here it’s a whole different ballgame. Still have time for a life, but it’s a much different one than you have now. Best of luck

Reactions: 13 users

Goro and the other adcoms on SDN have said applications are not reviewed in the order that they’re received. They do a quick look and organize based on stats, URM, military, mission fit, ECs, etc.

It helps to submit early but doesn’t guarantee that your app will be reviewed or get an II before someone who submitted after you.