2019-2020 Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II last night complete 12/13

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Most are ones where you have to demonstrate interest in FM/EM, etc. or have to be a veteran. But others are available yeah

Can entering students receive those FM/EM ones if we have shown interest? Or are those mainly for upperclassmen that have done EC’s in those fields?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Members don't see this ad :)
wow thats quick.
I have been waiting since 9/6 and still no news.

I've been complete since 7/29, notified I was placed on hold on 8/23, and updated I was still on hold on 10/23.
Sent grades at the end of the fall semester and hoping to hear back, soon. (>.<)

Can entering students receive those FM/EM ones if we have shown interest? Or are those mainly for upperclassmen that have done EC’s in those fields?

I’m not sure as I don’t have interest in either of those fields

Does anyone know if students receive free laptops every year?

Curious to know before I pay $500 for a laptop that meets their “requirements” since my current one doesn’t

Curious to know before I pay $500 for a laptop that meets their “requirements” since my current one doesn’t

An earlier post from a current student said we get one of the latest HP or Dell laptops during orientation.

Yeah, we got laptops from the school, and you're required to use these laptops during exams. (I wouldn't call them "free," per se, since their cost is included in your tuition.)

That being said, the school retains ownership over the laptops until you graduate. You're technically only supposed to use it for school-related purposes (though I'm not sure how or if they monitor for that), and you're not supposed to install your own software and programs. Personally, I bought another laptop prior to coming to DMU, and I've been using that for all personal purposes, whether that be shopping, gaming, social media, or what have you.

Congrats to the prospective incoming class of 2024! I'm a current MS1. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. Either reply in this thread or shoot me a PM. I have no affiliation with the DMU administration and will try to be as candid and open as possible.

Congrats to the prospective incoming class of 2024! I'm a current MS1. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. Either reply in this thread or shoot me a PM. I have no affiliation with the DMU administration and will try to be as candid and open as possible.
I got a bit of a silly question, but might ask it anyway: is DMU flexible with studying from home - like thorough online materials or do you actually have to attend the campus every day? I live like 3 hours away and have a family (kids), not ready to move closer to the campus yet. I got fairly competitive stats and wonder if I should still apply this year or just wait till next- or even the following cycle and apply then, maybe I'll be a little more flexible regarding living accommodations by then, I doubt it though. I appreciate your insights!

I got a bit of a silly question, but might ask it anyway: is DMU flexible with studying from home - like thorough online materials or do you actually have to attend the campus every day? I live like 3 hours away and have a family (kids), not ready to move closer to the campus yet. I got fairly competitive stats and wonder if I should still apply this year or just wait till next- or even the following cycle and apply then, maybe I'll be a little more flexible regarding living accommodations by then, I doubt it though. I appreciate your insights!
1. Too late to apply this year. 100%.
2. You will need to be on campus most days, even for like an hour or two. I was barely on campus besides for required classes and I still was there almost every day, especially in the beginning of school.
You need to live within like 30 minutes. 3 hours is way too far. What you could do is rent an apartment or something and just be home on the weekends if you absolutely cannot move, but unfortunately medicine is a thing that you need to be able to move...residency, etc

1. Too late to apply this year. 100%.
2. You will need to be on campus most days, even for like an hour or two. I was barely on campus besides for required classes and I still was there almost every day, especially in the beginning of school.
You need to live within like 30 minutes. 3 hours is way too far. What you could do is rent an apartment or something and just be home on the weekends if you absolutely cannot move, but unfortunately medicine is a thing that you need to be able to move...residency, etc
With strong enough stats he could apply today and maybe get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
With strong enough stats he could apply today and maybe get in.
nooooooo. Its too late. Think about it, 60 day wait time for processing + scheduling an interview (hoping for a spot) + hoping the class isn't full yet. It isn't worth being a re applicant. DMU is competitive and it isn't like admissions is sitting on their hands waiting for some rockstar, there's a ton of apps.

Accepted just now. Interview 12/12. Debating DMU vs KCU

Reactions: 3 users

Wait until next year, when you'll be able to apply early in the cycle and hopefully be in a better position to move to Des Moines. The required classes (OMM, OMM lab, anatomy lab, med ethics, some of FoP, etc.) will require you to be on campus fairly regularly, so living 3 hours away wouldn't be doable at all.

Reactions: 1 users
Alternate list. Interviewed 12/16. When does the quartile rank come out again?

Got an II for 1/24! Does anybody know if the class is full yet and I would be interviewing for the waitlist? I am just curious because this is one of my top choices, thanks!

Got an II for 1/24! Does anybody know if the class is full yet and I would be interviewing for the waitlist? I am just curious because this is one of my top choices, thanks!
Would also like to know this as a 1/23 interviewee

So - I am literally 26 days past their 90 day response and have heard nothing lol so I'm going to go ahead and assume its a soft R but hey good luck to everyone interviewing and congratulations to those accepted!

Reactions: 2 users
So - I am literally 26 days past their 90 day response and have heard nothing lol so I'm going to go ahead and assume its a soft R but hey good luck to everyone interviewing and congratulations to those accepted!
I am 16 days past the 90 day mark. Hoping for the best.

Accepted a few minutes ago!! Interviewed on 12/16.

Does anyone know if scholarship offers are made at the same time as admission decisions? I can't recall what they said during the presentation.

Accepted a few minutes ago!! Interviewed on 12/16.

Does anyone know if scholarship offers are made at the same time as admission decisions? I can't recall what they said during the presentation.

Hey! Same. 12/16. Got the A, but no info for financial aid yet. I remember them saying that they discuss our aid alongside our admission decision, so if I don’t get any more info by mid next week, I’ll probably call.

Also for everyone else, I loved this school a LOT. It was pretty amazing and the only downside was high cost and location as I was admitted to my home state school for cheap. I am pretty sure I will decline, (barring crazy aid), and hope it goes to one of you guys. Super amazing place and I’m very fortunate to have gotten into my top 2 realistic schools. If anyone has Qs from interview, I am happy to answer! Best of luck.

I won't be applying until next cycle, but I have a few questions about the application process for DMU! Since there isn't a secondary, are the school-specific questions built into the application? What types of questions do they ask?

I won't be applying until next cycle, but I have a few questions about the application process for DMU! Since there isn't a secondary, are the school-specific questions built into the application? What types of questions do they ask?

Yes, the questions are part of the primary application. Only two notable questions which are along the line of "describe your experience with Osteopathic Medicine" and "What are you/will you be doing from this point leading up to matriculation?"

Yes, the questions are part of the primary application. Only two notable questions which are along the line of "describe your experience with Osteopathic Medicine" and "What are you/will you be doing from this point leading up to matriculation?"
Thank you! Any advice about applying in general?

Thank you! Any advice about applying in general?
Please do your future self a big favor and apply early, like as early as June 1st when the cycle opens. I applied semi-late this cycle and it has been a rollercoaster ride for me. Seeing other early applicants getting acceptances while you are sitting there waiting for II's is not good for your mental health.

Reactions: 5 users
Did anyone else have a committee letter from your college/university? If you did, how many extra LORs did you include from doctors, PI's, etc?

Did anyone else have a committee letter from your college/university? If you did, how many extra LORs did you include from doctors, PI's, etc?
Your school should give you a list of what they need. No more no less.

I don't remember if they asked for a committee letter, but my university did not offer this. I provided them with 3 professor LORs (2 science, one non-science), a personal LOR, and an MD LOR

They accept a decent portion of the waitlist, so interviewing for the waitlist isn’t so bad.

Hey! Same. 12/16. Got the A, but no info for financial aid yet. I remember them saying that they discuss our aid alongside our admission decision, so if I don’t get any more info by mid next week, I’ll probably call.

Also for everyone else, I loved this school a LOT. It was pretty amazing and the only downside was high cost and location as I was admitted to my home state school for cheap. I am pretty sure I will decline, (barring crazy aid), and hope it goes to one of you guys. Super amazing place and I’m very fortunate to have gotten into my top 2 realistic schools. If anyone has Qs from interview, I am happy to answer! Best of luck.

I just called the financial aid office! They said they don't have the e-packet ready yet and will probably send communications out in February. But she did say there are no state scholarships offered, just DMU's small internal ones.

II last night, complete 9/23! Honestly forgot I even applied to this school so now I'm debating on whether I should go to it or not. I have an A at another DO school already but obviously this is one of the top programs. Would I just be interviewing for the wait list at this point though?

• Dislike
Interviewed 12/19

Accepted 1/17.

LizzyM: 68

Huge dilemma whether or not I will take the acceptance. Currently it is looking like I will! From NJ so Iowa is incredibly far haha

Moving from AZ to Iowa, I feel

CA to Iowa, same same.

Happy to be given this opportunity, but would have loved to stay where I grew up. I’ll use these four years to figure if I can stand the snow storms.

CA to Iowa, same same.

Happy to be given this opportunity, but would have loved to stay where I grew up. I’ll use these four years to figure if I can stand the snow storms.
This was the first snowstorm that we got 6 inches in like 5 years. Its more the wind which will be tough to get used to haha you dont spend that much time outside for the first few years just live next to campus and walk it

CA to Iowa, same same.

Potentially HI to Iowa.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Only a quarter of the class of ‘23 is from Iowa. If you’re from out of state, you’ll likely be in very good company. (I’m an M1 from the northeast myself.)

Also, med school is med school... Location doesn’t matter all that much when you’re just studying all day. Anki in Iowa is the same as Anki in Florida or California. ;)

Reactions: 3 users
An earlier post from a current student said we get one of the latest HP or Dell laptops during orientation.

I'm a current DMU student, up until now DMU has provided laptops for everyone but they recently decided to stop doing that so you will need to have your own laptop!

I'm a current DMU student, up until now DMU has provided laptops for everyone but they recently decided to stop doing that so you will need to have your own laptop!
2nd this, they told us exactly this during interview. There will be a list of qualifications that your laptop needs to pass.

That’s upsetting. Now we have to dish out $500-$1,000 for a laptop that probably won’t be as good as the ones they historically provided. My laptop is from 2015 and doesn’t meet the qualifications. Do any students have trouble with MacBooks on campus? May finally make the switch to Apple just to match my phone. But man those are expensive.

I guess it’s a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things.

That’s upsetting. Now we have to dish out $500-$1,000 for a laptop that probably won’t be as good as the ones they historically provided. My laptop is from 2015 and doesn’t meet the qualifications. Do any students have trouble with MacBooks on campus? May finally make the switch to Apple just to match my phone. But man those are expensive.

I guess it’s a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things.

IIRC the cost of the laptops were added onto the tuition anyways, and from what I hear they weren't anything to write home about. I'd recommend a MacBook for school anyway, they tend to be more reliable if you want extended usage (from personal and family/friends' experience).

IIRC the cost of the laptops were added onto the tuition anyways, and from what I hear they weren't anything to write home about. I'd recommend a MacBook for school anyway, they tend to be more reliable if you want extended usage (from personal and family/friends' experience).

Glad they aren’t charging us “$500” for a HP laptop. I bought my MacBook in 2017, so hoping it’s good enough.

Maybe DMU will switch to NBME exams now?? Oh I wish :)

Edit: NBOME, osteopathic counterpart lol

Last edited:
PM me if you’ll be in Des Moines tonight and wanna meet up for a beer!

My heart dropped when I got an email notification labelled DMU Admission starting with "Thank you for interviewing...........", turned out to be just a survey email post-interview :(.