2019-2020 Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone remember/know if the wellness center has a good weight room? Squat rack, multiple benches, bars, plenty of plates, dumbbells, that sort of thing.

I’m not a body builder, but I want to get back into my routine that I started last fall. Started seeing some progress right when COVID started. If DMU doesn’t have that stuff then I’ll have to look for a gym!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Their gym had a small indoor track and they had nice sets of benches and squat racks if I remember correctly.

Reactions: 1 user
Their gym had a small indoor track and they had nice sets of benches and squat racks if I remember correctly.
I second this, I remember being quite happy with the amount of free weights and the natural light in the gym. Also a nice basketball court in the middle.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Awesome. I remembered the track and basketball court.

Does anyone remember/know if the wellness center has a good weight room? Squat rack, multiple benches, bars, plenty of plates, dumbbells, that sort of thing.

I’m not a body builder, but I want to get back into my routine that I started last fall. Started seeing some progress right when COVID started. If DMU doesn’t have that stuff then I’ll have to look for a gym!

From what I remember from the interview tour, it's actually quite nice. I wouldn't feel the need for a gym membership elsewhere. Just depends on what your needs are, I suppose.

From what I remember from the interview tour, it's actually quite nice. I wouldn't feel the need for a gym membership elsewhere. Just depends on what your needs are, I suppose.
I checked the DMU Wellness Center FB page and it appears to have what I'm looking for. I'll probably do my workouts super early, shower there, and eat a packed breakfast before heading to class. If I don't get an apartment near campus I'm going to have to drive out there early to get a parking spot. May as well go there earlier and do my workout too.

Is anyone living in downtown or Sherman Hill? Maybe we can carpool and be gym buddies if I my waitlisted apartment doesn't work out.

I checked the DMU Wellness Center FB page and it appears to have what I'm looking for. I'll probably do my workouts super early, shower there, and eat a packed breakfast before heading to class. If I don't get an apartment near campus I'm going to have to drive out there early to get a parking spot. May as well go there earlier and do my workout too.

Is anyone living in downtown or Sherman Hill? Maybe we can carpool and be gym buddies if I my waitlisted apartment doesn't work out.
I got an apartment in Sherman Hill lined up, but still hesitant from putting down a deposit since I am still waitlisted at my first choice school :(.

I just signed a lease for an apartment downtown. Would be down for that if it ends up working out

I got an apartment in Sherman Hill lined up, but still hesitant from putting down a deposit since I am still waitlisted at my first choice school :(.

I feel ya. I've been waiting too, but it's getting close to July. I think the Sherman Hill and Downtown complexes will have availability before school starts, so I think you'll be good if you wait a bit longer. The places around campus are just about full tho, at least the ones I liked.

I feel ya. Thankfully we live in an era where virtual tours are possible haha. But nothing beats seeing it in person.

Which areas are you looking at if you don’t mind sharing?

I've been looking south and west of campus mostly. Ideally I would like to walk to campus, but the apartments nearby are pretty expensive for the space that they provide. I've looked even out in West Des Moines too. Really trying to find a place that is nice but not super expensive. I like the 31st street apartments, but their parking and laundry situation isn't the best.

Sherman Hill is nice, downtown is nice, try to avoid some of the northwest and some of the south.

If you guys have questions about areas lemme know. Congrats again

I've been looking south and west of campus mostly. Ideally I would like to walk to campus, but the apartments nearby are pretty expensive for the space that they provide. I've looked even out in West Des Moines too. Really trying to find a place that is nice but not super expensive. I like the 31st street apartments, but their parking and laundry situation isn't the best.

I’ve tried calling 31st and Grand but they don’t answer. Never called me back either or replied to my emails.

I’m waitlisted at 3000 Grand. Might give them a call soon.

Sun Prairie Apartments in West Des Moines seems pretty cool. Bunch of utilities included and internet for a decent price. They have 1000+ units so availability should be there lol. Almost seems like a too good to be true deal tho...

However, I want to be close to campus for the first year. I’ll pay the premium price for the convenience. After that, maybe I’ll drift to WDM.

I’ve tried calling 31st and Grand but they don’t answer. Never called me back either or replied to my emails.

I’m waitlisted at 3000 Grand. Might give them a call soon.

Sun Prairie Apartments in West Des Moines seems pretty cool. Bunch of utilities included and internet for a decent price. They have 1000+ units so availability should be there lol. Almost seems like a too good to be true deal tho...

However, I want to be close to campus for the first year. I’ll pay the premium price for the convenience. After that, maybe I’ll drift to WDM.

I got in contact with them via their ask a question thing on their website. I couldn't get any response from calling either.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sherman Hill is nice, downtown is nice, try to avoid some of the northwest and some of the south.

What do you think about a few apartments next to Drake U such? Only 7 mins drive straight south to DMU.

What do you think about a few apartments next to Drake U such? Only 7 mins drive straight south to DMU.
So its a college town, with that comes loud parties and kinda run down area. If you're okay with it go for it but you have to keep that in mind. Personally I avoided that and downtown towards Court Ave because there's gonna be times where you need to sleep and/or wake up real early and focus and its loud and doesn't stop

So its a college town, with that comes loud parties and kinda run down area. If you're okay with it go for it but you have to keep that in mind. Personally I avoided that and downtown towards Court Ave because there's gonna be times where you need to sleep and/or wake up real early and focus and its loud and doesn't stop
Do you know anyone living at Four Seasons? It is super close to campus but I read that the landlords can be a pain to deal with.

Do you know anyone living at Four Seasons?
Not personally but I looked there. I just found a better deal right by school. I'm not the only one paying rent though

Not personally but I looked there. I just found a better deal right by school. I'm not the only one paying rent though
Thank you, I am deciding between Four seasons, a Sherman Hill apt and another next to DrakeU. If I don't hear back from my waitlisted school by Monday I will go ahead with one of them and call it done.

my friend emailed Anna Cruz and she said the waitlist has been historically slow moving this year and its FREAKING me out :scared: I want to go to DMU so bad :cryi:. Im about to have one of my recommenders send DMU an update letter for me ..BRB
If you don't mind me asking, what did your friend ask Anna? I'm hoping to email admissions and ask for an update on movement, and I think I may be interested in the same info she recieved

Do you know anyone living at Four Seasons? It is super close to campus but I read that the landlords can be a pain to deal with.
I saw someone on FB ask about Four Seasons and a student said his friends recommend not living there. I was interested in that place too but that, along with reviews online saying sketchy landlords, kinda pushed me away. The FB post was a while back ago I think.

I think Four Seasons has all/most utilities included. Might be worth possibly dealing with the landlords for that haha.

Do you ever shop at the Price Chopper on Ingersoll? Seems like that is the nearest grocery store to campus. Gateway Market seems expensive and I don't care for organic foods vs non-organic. Wal-mart in the Windsor Heights area is 5 miles away - not too bad but if Price Chopper is decent I'll stick with them.

Also Hy-Vee seems far, other than the downtown location which people say is overpriced AF.

If you don't mind me asking, what did your friend ask Anna? I'm hoping to email admissions and ask for an update on movement, and I think I may be interested in the same info she recieved
I'm likely going to do the same next week and send an update letter. Also, going to test the waters for a second time (1st was at MWU CCOM - was not granted an exception) and ask if they're willing to accept a 4 year old MCAT if I have to reapply this upcoming cycle. I think it is a reasonable inquiry given my current position on the waitlist and the pandemic. I'll keep everyone in the loop in case any of you are in a similar situation.

Do you ever shop at the Price Chopper on Ingersoll? Seems like that is the nearest grocery store to campus. Gateway Market seems expensive and I don't care for organic foods vs non-organic. Wal-mart in the Windsor Heights area is 5 miles away - not too bad but if Price Chopper is decent I'll stick with them.

Also Hy-Vee seems far, other than the downtown location which people say is overpriced AF.
The prices at price chopper aren't very chopped but its more than fine. We basically use it for quick runs. I personally go to Aldi. Much cheaper and everything tastes the same if not better. Hy-vee may be more expensive but it has literally anything you ever would need food wise, and they have a gas discount program

The prices at price chopper aren't very chopped but its more than fine. We basically use it for quick runs. I personally go to Aldi. Much cheaper and everything tastes the same if not better. Hy-vee may be more expensive but it has literally anything you ever would need food wise, and they have a gas discount program
Oh snap I forgot about Aldi! All Aldi locations are just about equally as far from DMU. Is there a location you prefer? I'll definitely need to get on that gas program at Hy-vee. I'm on one at Kroger and it rocks.

I saw someone on FB ask about Four Seasons and a student said his friends recommend not living there. I was interested in that place too but that, along with reviews online saying sketchy landlords, kinda pushed me away. The FB post was a while back ago I think.

I think Four Seasons has all/most utilities included. Might be worth possibly dealing with the landlords for that haha.
All utilities included except for electricity and internet. Yeah the landlords are my main concern too.

Oh snap I forgot about Aldi! All Aldi locations are just about equally as far from DMU. Is there a location you prefer? I'll definitely need to get on that gas program at Hy-vee. I'm on one at Kroger and it rocks.
Eh any of em work just fine. I don't usually go my wife does

I would just go to Costco and stock up for couple of months at a time.

I would just go to Costco and stock up for couple of months at a time.
I've never been to Costco. But I'm looking forward to trying their cheap pizza and hot dogs that I've read all about over the years. I've had it at Sam's Club, but ppl say Costco's taste better.

Has anyone received their financial aid award letter on Pulse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d avoid living up by Drake if possible. There’s been a lot more crime there lately, esp around Kingman/Cottage Grove, and you’re not really gaining much by living in that area (not the best food options, further from campus, loud, not that cheap, etc.). Anywhere near campus is perfectly nice except the area next to the Woodland Cemetery between Woodland Ave, 235, and 31st St - been there, done that and you could not pay me to repeat (muggings, drug deals in the street any time of day, open prostitution, and gun fights).

The Price Chopper by campus is fine, and cheaper than Hy-Vee. Plenty of other grocery stores around within 10min.

Man, I was just looking at a relatively new complex right by Drake, next to Jethro’s BBQ. I was going to call tomorrow, but now idk...

How about Ingersoll/MLK area? Soll Apartments and Ingersoll Square are there and they are right next to that cemetery you mentioned but people seem to like this area a lot. These two places are pricey as hell so I’m hoping it’s a nice enough area lol. There’s also Gateway Lofts and Jefferson down the street closer to downtown.

EDIT: TBH, I’m coming from a BIG city with high crime. Some people claim Des Moines has a “ghetto” but I’m finding it hard to believe. I went to undergrad in an area where students got mugged/robbed every other day. Some students even got their car jacked. From what I saw during my two days in DSM, it’s nothing like that, but then again I was only in downtown and grand avenue area by school.

Has anyone received their financial aid award letter on Pulse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope I've been checking pretty frequently. Someone had posted that they talked to fin aid and it would probably be early June.

When we submit our loan request form with a specified amount on it, are we stuck with that amount or can we change it up until disbursement/start of school? Some other random expenses came up after talking with some current med students and I may want to add a couple K to what I put on the form a few weeks ago.

Nope I've been checking pretty frequently. Someone had posted that they talked to fin aid and it would probably be early June.

When we submit our loan request form with a specified amount on it, are we stuck with that amount or can we change it up until disbursement/start of school? Some other random expenses came up after talking with some current med students and I may want to add a couple K to what I put on the form a few weeks ago.

No, you can always ask for more or return money (in the form of just making a payment immediately), however you may have a bit of delay in receiving funds. I met with budgeting about this

Man, I was just looking at a relatively new complex right by Drake, next to Jethro’s BBQ. I was going to call tomorrow, but now idk...

How about Ingersoll/MLK area? Soll Apartments and Ingersoll Square are there and they are right next to that cemetery you mentioned but people seem to like this area a lot. These two places are pricey as hell so I’m hoping it’s a nice enough area lol. There’s also Gateway Lofts and Jefferson down the street closer to downtown.

EDIT: TBH, I’m coming from a BIG city with high crime. Some people claim Des Moines has a “ghetto” but I’m finding it hard to believe. I went to undergrad in an area where students got mugged/robbed every other day. Some students even got their car jacked. From what I saw during my two days in DSM, it’s nothing like that, but then again I was only in downtown and grand avenue area by school.

It really isn't THAT bad. I came from Chicago and this is nothing haha Those places are newer and fine. Almost anywhere down ingersoll or grand is going to be nice. I live in that area currently and I love it.

Don't live by Drake and/or Court Ave. Its a college area and acts like it (nothing wrong with it, just not something youll need in med school)

Reactions: 2 users
what the consensus on east village? I’m tempted to sign with city square lofts.

what the consensus on east village? I’m tempted to sign with city square lofts.
East Village seems cool. Restaurants, bars, and shopping.

Parking seems iffy tho. I was looking at a place there a while back and they had no surface parking lot and required a monthly garage parking pass.

I liked East Village Square when I checked it out. Not sure if it comes with W/D, IDK if that's important to you tho.

Parking seems iffy tho. I was looking at a place there a while back and they had no surface parking lot and required a monthly garage parking pass.

I liked East Village Square when I checked it out. Not sure if it comes with W/D, IDK if that's important to you tho.

Thx for the recommendation, its wild how I'm going to live somewhere I've never been to :scared: I liked the downtown area because of the parking garages lol. My car is a diesel and i'm scared she wont start in the cold weather... unless the garages aren't underground :thinking:. Can u tell I'm from the big city :lol:

Parking can be up to $100 bucks a month, crazy expensive.

Thx for the recommendation, its wild how I'm going to live somewhere I've never been to :scared: I liked the downtown area because of the parking garages lol. My car is a diesel and i'm scared she wont start in the cold weather... unless the garages aren't underground :thinking:. Can u tell I'm from the big city :lol:

IDK if east village has underground garages but I saw that some places on Ingersoll Ave near campus have heated underground garages. But like zNoodlez said, they generally run from $70-100 per month. 3000 Grand next to campus has a heated garage but they have no vacancy atm and a long waitlist.

I wouldn't worry about diesel around here haha the amount of diesel trucks Iowa has is eye opening. I don't have one now but just living here has made me want a pickup bad

I would avoid Price chopper at all costs. Their products are very...sketch looking and appear to be aged. Produce is decent but everything else I would avoid. Walmart/Sam’s club aren’t that far away and it’s worth the drive. Only go to Price Chopper if you’re desperate.

I would avoid Price chopper at all costs. Their products are very...sketch looking and appear to be aged. Produce is decent but everything else I would avoid. Walmart/Sam’s club aren’t that far away and it’s worth the drive. Only go to Price Chopper if you’re desperate.
I thought Price Chopper is the midwest version of Safeway/Albertsons in the pacific NW :D

I wouldn't worry about diesel around here haha the amount of diesel trucks Iowa has is eye opening. I don't have one now but just living here has made me want a pickup bad
I have a little turbo diesel hatchback volkswagon ! The diesel engine gets me some incredible gas mileage

Also looking into Soll and Ingersoll Square Lofts. Soll has been pretty lackluster with communication. Both me and my S/O have sent emails and have tried calling a few times a day for the past week to set up a virtual tour/ask questions, but we've only heard back from them once. Haven't had any issues with Ingersoll Square Lofts. They're pretty responsive and open to setting up virtual/in-person tours.

Also looking into Soll and Ingersoll Square Lofts. Soll has been pretty lackluster with communication. Both me and my S/O have sent emails and have tried calling a few times a day for the past week to set up a virtual tour/ask questions, but we've only heard back from them once. Haven't had any issues with Ingersoll Square Lofts. They're pretty responsive and open to setting up virtual/in-person tours.

The ingersoll lofts look sick but make sure you know which place you're getting. They show off the super nice ones online, but the cheaper models aren't as nice. Just a heads up

Soll is out of my budget. It's more expensive than Ingersoll Square and I feel like Ingersoll Square is a bit nicer.

I think Soll has a tiny studio, under 500 sq ft, for $1,200. You can get a decent one bedroom across the street for under that, haha.

The ingersoll lofts look sick but make sure you know which place you're getting. They show off the super nice ones online, but the cheaper models aren't as nice. Just a heads up

Was the cheaper model they showed you an income restricted unit? I don't know if they offer income restricted units or just give those that fit that criteria a lower rate and a "regular" unit.

I meet the income restriction so I could possibly go there...

Was the cheaper model they showed you an income restricted unit? I don't know if they offer income restricted units or just give those that fit that criteria a lower rate and a "regular" unit.

I meet the income restriction so I could possibly go there...
Some of the "income-restricted" apts I contacted also do not accept full-time students.

• Angry
  • Okay...