2019-2020 Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Looks like there have been at least 10 acceptances off the waitlist so far (that's just what was posted in this forum) since May 6th. I think 3 or 4 of them were high priority. Anyone have any idea as to how many are on the waitlist and the size of the first quartile? Hoping they'll get to the second quartile! :)
It seems likely that they're done with HP and moving through 1st quartile. Not everyone uses SDN, and the acceptance posts are becoming a little more frequent, so there's still hope! I'm still waiting in the 1st quartile non-HP. I think COVID screwed up everyone's schedules, including interviews, admissions committee meetings, waitlists at other schools are also slow.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
It seems likely that they're done with HP and moving through 1st quartile. Not everyone uses SDN, and the acceptance posts are becoming a little more frequent, so there's still hope! I'm still waiting in the 1st quartile non-HP. I think COVID screwed up everyone's schedules, including interviews, admissions committee meetings, waitlists at other schools are also slow.

I’m assuming the next big wave would be after 6/15 as that’s the “default CTE date”, but remember that schools are free to use their own.

Reactions: 3 users
Man the scramble being accepted a week before classes is gonna be dope. Also in 2nd quartile.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m assuming the next big wave would be after 6/15 as that’s the “default CTE date”, but remember that schools are free to use their own.
True. I just emailed Anna about wait list movement. I hope I am not coming off as impatient. I'm just concerned about my chances this cycle and I'm on the fence about submitting another application. I'm not financially well off, so another $200 application just to get accepted a day after submitting it gives me anxiety.

Reactions: 1 users
True. I just emailed Anna about wait list movement. I hope I am not coming off as impatient. I'm just concerned about my chances this cycle and I'm on the fence about submitting another application. I'm not financially well off, so another $200 application just to get accepted a day after submitting it gives me anxiety.
Have you applied for the financial waiver? I don't remember if AACOMAS's waiver covers primary apps tho. I know it covered all of my secondaries.

Luckily, applying in July is still early for DO. If this were for MD, I would recommend taking the hit of $200 just to be an early applicant. I received the application complete e-mail for DMU on 7/9 and was invited to interview on one of their first dates not even a week later. So, those of you still waiting, it may not be a bad idea to just wait another month or so before applying to DO schools again. In the mean time, work on the app and on re-vamping your personal statement. I'm a re-applicant, so i'm very familiar with the anxiety of checking your inbox every 30 mins for a WL acceptance. Wishing luck to all of y'all still waiting!

Have you applied for the financial waiver? I don't remember if AACOMAS's waiver covers primary apps tho. I know it covered all of my secondaries.

Luckily, applying in July is still early for DO. If this were for MD, I would recommend taking the hit of $200 just to be an early applicant. I received the application complete e-mail for DMU on 7/9 and was invited to interview on one of their first dates not even a week later. So, those of you still waiting, it may not be a bad idea to just wait another month or so before applying to DO schools again. In the mean time, work on the app and on re-vamping your personal statement. I'm a re-applicant, so i'm very familiar with the anxiety of checking your inbox every 30 mins for a WL acceptance. Wishing luck to all of y'all still waiting!

Agreed! I didn't submit my primary for DO schools until 7/29 and received an II from DMU the 2nd or 3rd week of August.

Also, don't fret about housing. Those who give up their spots and already signed a lease will have to scramble to find someone to take over their lease. It won't be any cheaper, but housing will always be available!

Reactions: 1 user
Howdy y'all.

It hurts me to write this, but I am going to be withdrawing from DMU. I recently received a deferred acceptance to one of my state schools and the tuition difference is far too large to ignore. I was so excited to start my new life in Des Moines and to meet all of you, but now that won't be happening.

Good news is that a seat and two scholarships will be available soon. I'll be hoping it goes to one of y'all.

I'll stick around on this thread to see some of my fellow SDN users get in and congratulate them.

Reactions: 13 users
Howdy y'all.

It hurts me to write this, but I am going to be withdrawing from DMU. I recently received a deferred acceptance to one of my state schools and the tuition difference is far too large to ignore. I was so excited to start my new life in Des Moines and to meet all of you, but now that won't be happening.

Good news is that a seat and two scholarships will be available soon. I'll be hoping it goes to one of y'all.

I'll stick around on this thread to see some of my fellow SDN users get in and congratulate them.
Congratulations and best of luck to you!!

Howdy y'all.

that’s awesome tangoes, so happy for you

Can someone PM me the link to the groupme? I dont have a facebook (I know its weird for someone in this day of age to not have one lol).

For waitlisted people still crossing your fingers, I was in the same spot last year. For reference, I was 1st quartile, but not high priority, and got an acceptance call July 2nd. So yes, there's plenty of time left.

On where to live...to each their own, but I cannot stress enough how helpful it was for me to live across the street at the Imperial apartments. The longest part of my commute was leaving my apartment, lmao. This was huge for reducing stress for getting on time to class, random required events, and especially exams. Also great for those who want to use the gym (assuming it becomes available again by the time school starts) and for IM sports. The way I would think about deciding to live comes down a few things. If you're lazy, procrastinate, or not incredibly disciplined in general, I would say living as close to campus as possible is critical. Additionally, if you're more extroverted like me, I would strongly advocate for being close to campus, as it makes visiting people, post exam shenanigans, etc, way easier.

If you're on the other side of the spectrum, living further away can probably work just fine. IMO, introverts in general would probably be more suited to living further away, or if you have a family. You can certainly pay a lot for down town Des Moines or the nicer suburbs, but you'll have far more options for a place. For some people, driving to and away from campus is a nice way to chill and unwind, or catch up with family. And some people really appreciate having a distinct separation. In the end, it really comes down to the person.

As much as I've advocated living close, I will say that I've heard that my place Imperial, as well as Grand Prix, another super close Grand Ave apartment, are possibly not taking on new students, for some reason. No clue as to why, as they're under new management as of January ish. But that does reduce options. I'm personally moving in with a classmate to his apartment 3000 Grand, which I would say is the overall best balanced pick for proximity, price, and quality. Apparently, it can be really hard to otherwise find an apartment there, and I'm sure demand vs openings is going only going to get more difficult if the rumors about Imperial + Grand Prix are true.

Feel free to ask me any other questions about Des Moines, school, apartments, or any other general questions you have on here or via DMs, and I should be able to respond quickly now that we're free from classes! :)

For waitlisted people still crossing your fingers, I was in the same spot last year. For reference, I was 1st quartile, but not high priority, and got an acceptance call July 2nd. So yes, there's plenty of time left.

On where to live...to each their own, but I cannot stress enough how helpful it was for me to live across the street at the Imperial apartments. The longest part of my commute was leaving my apartment, lmao. This was huge for reducing stress for getting on time to class, random required events, and especially exams. Also great for those who want to use the gym (assuming it becomes available again by the time school starts) and for IM sports. The way I would think about deciding to live comes down a few things. If you're lazy, procrastinate, or not incredibly disciplined in general, I would say living as close to campus as possible is critical. Additionally, if you're more extroverted like me, I would strongly advocate for being close to campus, as it makes visiting people, post exam shenanigans, etc, way easier.

If you're on the other side of the spectrum, living further away can probably work just fine. IMO, introverts in general would probably be more suited to living further away, or if you have a family. You can certainly pay a lot for down town Des Moines or the nicer suburbs, but you'll have far more options for a place. For some people, driving to and away from campus is a nice way to chill and unwind, or catch up with family. And some people really appreciate having a distinct separation. In the end, it really comes down to the person.

As much as I've advocated living close, I will say that I've heard that my place Imperial, as well as Grand Prix, another super close Grand Ave apartment, are possibly not taking on new students, for some reason. No clue as to why, as they're under new management as of January ish. But that does reduce options. I'm personally moving in with a classmate to his apartment 3000 Grand, which I would say is the overall best balanced pick for proximity, price, and quality. Apparently, it can be really hard to otherwise find an apartment there, and I'm sure demand vs openings is going only going to get more difficult if the rumors about Imperial + Grand Prix are true.

Feel free to ask me any other questions about Des Moines, school, apartments, or any other general questions you have on here or via DMs, and I should be able to respond quickly now that we're free from classes! :)

Thanks for the detailed response! I am living in the Woodland Heights area. I am glad I'm not directly across the street from the cemetery, but it still irks me a little being a couple blocks away.

Are you from the area or did you have to make a long-distance move? If the latter, what is something you left behind but wished you brought? Currently in the process of packing and figuring out what I need. Going to try and take everything since the place I will be leasing has a huge basement I can use for storage space, but will probably have to make some cuts soon lol.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the detailed response! I am living in the Woodland Heights area, literally in-between the middle school and cemetery. I am glad I'm not directly across the street from the cemetery, but it still irks me a little being 3ish blocks away.

Are you from the area or did you have to make a long-distance move? If the latter, what is something you left behind but wished you brought? Currently in the process of packing and figuring out what I need. Going to try and take everything since the place I will be leasing has a huge basement I can use for storage space, but will probably have to make some cuts soon lol.

I'm from Michigan, so it was quite the drive and commitment for deciding what to pack lol. I would say prioritize all the basics like clothes and whatnot. It really depends on the car you have to haul stuff in. I'd also bring any entertainment you like, such as a TV, console, board games, Best money saver would probably be bringing your mattress I imagine, plus you'll have somewhere to sleep right away. I ended up getting all of my furniture practically from Facebook Marketplace + craigslist, with the exception of my mattress which I bought in town.

I guess the only stuff I wish I brought more of was stuff that reminded me of home, like photos and small trinkets. Also more of my favorite board games, not that I had as much time as I wanted to enjoy them until now, lol.

I'm from Michigan, so it was quite the drive and commitment for deciding what to pack lol. I would say prioritize all the basics like clothes and whatnot. It really depends on the car you have to haul stuff in. I'd also bring any entertainment you like, such as a TV, console, board games, Best money saver would probably be bringing your mattress I imagine, plus you'll have somewhere to sleep right away. I ended up getting all of my furniture practically from Facebook Marketplace + craigslist, with the exception of my mattress which I bought in town.

I guess the only stuff I wish I brought more of was stuff that reminded me of home, like photos and small trinkets. Also more of my favorite board games, not that I had as much time as I wanted to enjoy them until now, lol.

Haha I will be making the drive from California and will be shipping all my stuff a few weeks before I arrive as I will be road tripping with my two cats. Going to be an awesome time on the road (4 days 3 night trip with indoor-only cats)

Thank you for this, you give me hope!!

Howdy y'all.

Congratulations!! I hope you flourish at your state school! Is it alright if I PM you to ask a question?

Does anyone know if interviews are virtual or in person this cycle?

I am withdrawing my acceptance from DMU to attend an in-state school, hoping that it will go to one of you awesome people :D

Reactions: 8 users
I am withdrawing my acceptance from DMU to attend an in-state school, hoping that it will go to one of you awesome people :D

congrats!! so happy for you. Try to travel some since you won’t be moving now :)

Any movement this week?
I withdrew last week but still in the FB group. We had many people join over the last few days, but it's hard to tell if they are incoming students or current students. Some of the names are people I recognize from the GroupMe so they aren't recently accepted applicants.

Might be a stupid question, but if I graduated college last month, should I send DMU my final transcript even if I’m waitlisted? Or should I just do that if I am offered acceptance?

Might be a stupid question, but if I graduated college last month, should I send DMU my final transcript even if I’m waitlisted? Or should I just do that if I am offered acceptance?
I would send it! I sent mine and got accepted a week later. I'm not sure if that's the reason why or if it helped but it definitely won't hurt to send it.

I hope it starts to pick up soon:(
I haven't heard anything yet and I'm in the first quartile, not high priority. I emailed Anna in the admissions office last week and she just let me know that there has been steady movement. I realize that people in previous years have been admitted off the WL as late as mid July, but it's nerve wracking.

I haven't heard anything yet and I'm in the first quartile, not high priority. I emailed Anna in the admissions office last week and she just let me know that there has been steady movement. I realize that people in previous years have been admitted off the WL as late as mid July, but it's nerve wracking.
Yeah I'm sure there's people not on SDN or who are just lurking here that got admitted. It's good to hear that its been steady because I thought it was stagnant!

Just got the email! Accepted 1st quartile non-hp OOS

Reactions: 8 users
Hello everyone! Long time lurker here. I created an account so that I could post that I received the acceptance call earlier today! I was also 1st Quartile, not high priority from OOS. I interviewed in late February and have been anxiously waiting on the waitlist since. I'm so excited to be joining all of you!

Reactions: 7 users
Hello everyone! Long time lurker here. I created an account so that I could post that I received the acceptance call earlier today! I was also 1st Quartile, not high priority from OOS. I interviewed in late February and have been anxiously waiting on the waitlist since. I'm so excited to be joining all of you!
Might be a silly question but what does OOS mean? :)

Guys, very important info regarding health insurance: If you (1) will not be covered by your parents’ health insurance during the first year; (2) haven’t had a substantial level of income in the past year or so; and (3) have an Iowa address for the apartment/house you’ll be living in during the school year, consider applying for Iowa Medicaid as soon as possible. If you apply ASAP, you will likely have your application accepted or declined before the late-July student health insurance waiver deadline. The administrators don’t give extensions for the waiver, so get this done now if you think you qualify.

The school’s health insurance is expensive and crappy. If you qualify for Medicaid, you can have better healthcare benefits without having to pay $3200.

Also, share this information with your future classmates through other social platforms, because not everyone uses SDN. DMU administrators won’t tell you about the Medicaid option because they want you to pay for the school’s insurance.

Message me if you have any questions.

I received an email from Anna just asking if I was still interested if a potential seat becomes available. Unsure if this is a good or bad thing...

I received an email from Anna just asking if I was still interested if a potential seat becomes available. Unsure if this is a good or bad thing...

If it means the same thing as it meant last cycle, you’ll probably be accepted within the next week or two.

Hey all, haven’t had access to a computer for awhile but just wanted to jump on here and let y’all know I got the call a couple days ago. I am first quartile, non-HP. I wish everyone luck, everyone has been so helpful on here.

Reactions: 7 users
Hello everyone! I just wanted to let you know that I just received the acceptance call! I was in the 2nd quartile and in-state resident! I hope you hear back soon with good news

Reactions: 6 users
Hello everyone! I just wanted to let you know that I just received the acceptance call! I was in the 2nd quartile and in-state resident! I hope you hear back soon with good news

Congratulations future classmate! Make sure to join the facebook and GroupMe to get to know some of the class of 2024! Everybody’s extremely nice and helpful if you need help with the next steps such as housing and preparing for matriculation

Congratulations future classmate! Make sure to join the facebook and GroupMe to get to know some of the class of 2024! Everybody’s extremely nice and helpful if you need help with the next steps such as housing and preparing for matriculation
Awesome thank you! Could you send me the Facebook group?

Any other first quartiles waiting to hear back?