2019-2020 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Created an account to update this thread I got my offer yesterday morning. (11 Nov App Day). See you guys there!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Hey, Congratulations!
Now I am wondering if September Applicant Day people should stop hoping for a good news:inpain::unsure:
Are you Singaporean? MD-PhD?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Created an account to update this thread I got my offer yesterday morning. (11 Nov App Day). See you guys there!
Thank you for the updates and congratulations!!
Hey, Congratulations!
Now I am wondering if September Applicant Day people should stop hoping for a good news:inpain::unsure:
Are you Singaporean? MD-PhD?

Yes, I am a September applicant and I think my chances of getting an offer in the near future is low. It has past 3months point for me.

1576680088190.png

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Thank you for the updates and congratulations!!

Yes, I am a September applicant and I think my chances of getting an offer in the near future is low. It has past 3months point for me.
Sep applicant here as well, more or less given up hope already. Guess it just wasnt meant to be eh.

Sep applicant here as well, more or less given up hope already. Guess it just wasnt meant to be eh.
Actually I feel free letting it go and getting it off my chest.

But the next year could be for you if you continue to work on your application/ MCAT scores :)

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Actually I feel free letting it go and getting it off my chest.

But the next year could be for you if you continue to work on your application/ MCAT scores :)
Do you mean that you applied in September or you interviewed (attended Applicant Day) in September. If you interviewed in September, I wouldn't count yourself out by any means. If you mean you submitted your application in September, then maybe things are more bleak.

In other news, I thought this would be the week for me, but haven't heard a peep :(

Me too. Sep 16 applicant day. I also think not much hope. Been 3 months past interview.

Do you mean that you applied in September or you interviewed (attended Applicant Day) in September. If you interviewed in September, I wouldn't count yourself out by any means. If you mean you submitted your application in September, then maybe things are more bleak.

In other news, I thought this would be the week for me, but haven't heard a peep :(
I interviewed in September. Really appreciate what you said but I think my chances are quite low.

I remember you had a good MCAT score and had the interview at a later date, so you’ve got a higher chances:) good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I’m actually planning to contact the admissions office. I will bravely carry the ball for everyone in here :)

Reactions: 2 users
I just received a response from the admissions office. I was told that Duke-NUS generally needs about 2 - 5 months to review applications after the applicant day. I guess none of us passed the "5 months" after interviews. So, don't lose hope yet!

• Haha
... who is hoping for Christmas present news?

Members don't see this ad :)
No news before Christmas.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

No news before Christmas.

Merry Christmas to everyone!
And then 2020 is going to pass with no news.

Going to just wait until the 5 month mark then forget about it.

Happy new year to everyone. :)

dont lose hope everyone!

I have not received anything either, not even interviews :) I was accepted in Uni Syd, but I much prefer to do it locally here.

Happy new year to everyone!!

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 9 users
dont lose hope everyone!

I have not received anything either, not even interviews :) I was accepted in Uni Syd, but I much prefer to do it locally here.

Happy new year to everyone!!
Congrats on offer from Syd.
Happy 2020

Reactions: 4 users
Happy 2020 Everyone!!!

• Love
(Late) Happy new year to everyone! May 2020 be the year for us fellow applicants to receive great news! :)

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Does anyone know if they send out an email informing us if we are waitlisted and not rejected?

..and Happy New Year all!

Does anyone know if they send out an email informing us if we are waitlisted and not rejected?

..and Happy New Year all!
I don't think so. Only the accepted students have received emails. They have asked us to wait for 2-5 months from the date of the interview.

Anyone know when the PhD decision for MD-PhD candidates will be made? Or has anyone already received the PhD offer

Anyone know when the PhD decision for MD-PhD candidates will be made? Or has anyone already received the PhD offer
One person posted awhile back that they got the MD-PhD offer already. But I know a bunch of us are still wondering. Good luck!

Hi folks

Anyone knows how many had received offers so far?

:)

IDK, but last year, January 15th, Duke-NUS released a lot of offers. So, I'm now desperately waiting for that!

Reactions: 3 users
Good morning, everyone! Is the 15th the day you will hear? Fingers cross for you all!

Anyone else aside from @HPASHF (congrats by the way:)) from the Nov. 11 Applicant Day received offers yet?

Last edited:
Hopefully!
Congrats! Where did you get accepted?
Thank you.
I don’t want to share that until all the decisions have been made.
I hope Duke-NUS starts giving us some decisions soon though! :)

It’s chinese New Year this weekend. It seems like no one (or at least those are on this forum) got a reply so far in the month of January. Oh well...

Hopefully we get some reply soooon. It’s really difficult to plan ahead when everything is hanging like this. :/

Reactions: 7 users
It’s chinese New Year this weekend. It seems like no one (or at least those are on this forum) got a reply so far in the month of January. Oh well...

Hopefully we get some reply soooon. It’s really difficult to plan ahead when everything is hanging like this. :/
yeah it really is difficult :(
On the bright side, Happy Chinese New Year to you and the rest of everyone here! Time for the festive spread of hotpots and goodies :D

Just got the acceptance today, interviewed 30 sept. Praise God! Has been a long wait heh, jiayou all the rest who are still waiting and happy cny!

Reactions: 4 users
Duke-NUS has waitlisted me.
Just got an email
Same...Waitlisted just now
Just got the acceptance today, interviewed 30 sept. Praise God! Has been a long wait heh, jiayou all the rest who are still waiting and happy cny!
Awww. Congrats to the offer! And congrats to those who received news about waitlisted. Some news is good news, I reckon! May the force be with you - fingers crossed.

Have a great Chinese New Year weekend!

Hi everyone,

I received a notification for a follow-up interview last friday. However, I asked the adminstration to drop my application because I am looking for other career choices (partly because I saw the Singapore medical system for its flaws). I hope this spot will go to another more deserving candidate in Duke-NUS.

Wish you guys all the best!

Hi everyone,

I received a notification for a follow-up interview last friday. However, I asked the adminstration to drop my application because I am looking for other career choices (partly because I saw the Singapore medical system for its flaws). I hope this spot will go to another more deserving candidate in Duke-NUS.

Wish you guys all the best!
Hey
You would have made an informed decision. What are the flaws that you saw in the Singapore medical system?

First of all, I am not bashing anything against medicine in Singapore. For me, the following are the considerations:

1) Lost income for 4 years and in debt for the schooling period despite financial aid.

2) Bottlenecks at every career point. I have spoken to multiple MO who have been competing into limited training spots for years. I was even told that some who got into residency quit halfway because they realise there are no guaranteed consultant jobs. All these is after the straight out of med school residency application system is abolished. Post grad board exams have low passing rates that are set arbitrarily. Therefore, for someone to progress in the medical career, it takes a much longer and harder toll now. All these are legit considerations for guys
to consider. In the open house they show you that u can do your training after graduation, but reality can different.

3) The system does not and will my protect its juniors as long as the bond exist. The bond exist to tie you down in a system where you have no where to run even when you are overworked. They can place an 80 hour work limit but behind the scenes can be different.

In conclusion, this is my observation from shadowing many docs from multiple healthcare clusters (trust me I invested alot of days into shadowing). Basically, you have to look beyond the medical school phase and think about life after graduating and the system you are under. Yet again, these are just my opinions but I applaud anyone who has the passion for a career in medicine! It will be tough but hopefully worth it for you! I hope my spot will be given to someone else more deserving.

First of all, I am not bashing anything against medicine in Singapore. For me, the following are the considerations:

1) Lost income for 4 years and in debt for the schooling period despite financial aid.

2) Bottlenecks at every career point. I have spoken to multiple MO who have been competing into limited training spots for years. I was even told that some who got into residency quit halfway because they realise there are no guaranteed consultant jobs. All these is after the straight out of med school residency application system is abolished. Post grad board exams have low passing rates that are set arbitrarily. Therefore, for someone to progress in the medical career, it takes a much longer and harder toll now. All these are legit considerations for guys
to consider. In the open house they show you that u can do your training after graduation, but reality can different.

3) The system does not and will my protect its juniors as long as the bond exist. The bond exist to tie you down in a system where you have no where to run even when you are overworked. They can place an 80 hour work limit but behind the scenes can be different.

In conclusion, this is my observation from shadowing many docs from multiple healthcare clusters (trust me I invested alot of days into shadowing). Basically, you have to look beyond the medical school phase and think about life after graduating and the system you are under. Yet again, these are just my opinions but I applaud anyone who has the passion for a career in medicine! It will be tough but hopefully worth it for you! I hope my spot will be given to someone else more deserving.
Thank you for respecting my request and explicitly stating your opinions. Best wishes for your career!

No problem. Hope u guys internalise the track medicine in Singapore has to offer.

Do you mean that you did your shadowing in Singapore?

Hi. Did anyone applied for the PhD IBM in DUKE-NUS and has received a call for interview?

Hi. Did anyone applied for the PhD IBM in DUKE-NUS and has received a call for interview?

I applied for the IBM PhD Programme in Duke-NUS and have yet to hear from them. The website says that the Applicant Day is on 26 Feb but they'll only notify shortlisted applicants 1 to 2 weeks before. I think they'll email/call applicants selected for interview in mid-Feb.

Hey has anyone interviewed at Durham in November received replies?:oops: