2019-2020 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey! I've received info that the 16 Mar applicant day would be done virtually online. And they mentioned that they might be having another applicant day in late Mar. Have hopes still! Good luck!

How did your virtual interview go? Any team lead session? :)

Members don't see this ad.

anyone from the Jan or Feb applicant days received any updates to their applications? Like waitlisted, accepted, or rejected? With the COVID situation I wonder how things will change since virtual interviews are never the same as in person..
For me, it took about 3 months after the interview to hear about the decision. Given the COVID situation, for your case, it would take even longer. Waiting sucks, but don't lose hope and hang in there!

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone, I just received the offer this evening (December Applicant Day). Is there a way to join the group chat? :soexcited: All the best to those who are waiting, I hope to see you guys soon as well!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone! I received an offer ytd too, I interviewed in Feb. Really excited to meet you guys in school! :soexcited:All the very best to those who are still waiting!! The application journey is tough but all of you did great for coming so far!! Don't lose hope, stay positive! :)

Reactions: 5 users
Hello everyone! I received an offer ytd too, I interviewed in Feb. Really excited to meet you guys in school! :soexcited:All the very best to those who are still waiting!! The application journey is tough but all of you did great for coming so far!! Don't lose hope, stay positive! :)

care to share your stats? :D

care to share your stats? :D

Hey! Sure :)

My stats:
GPA: 3.49
MCAT: 510
Extensive research and competition experience - no publication.
Shadowing - ~5 weeks
Community volunteering experience
Applied for MD

Reactions: 2 users
How did your virtual interview go? Any team lead session? :)
Hey! Hm I would say it wasn't as casual as everyone said it was - probably due to the physical distance. There's no team lead. We're assessed 100% based on the interview

Hey! Hm I would say it wasn't as casual as everyone said it was - probably due to the physical distance. There's no team lead. We're assessed 100% based on the interview

The team lead session is an experience and for the physical applicant day, no staff was there to judge us. The written component was also very easy and didn't require any prep. So, the whole Applicant day boils down to just interviews.

Didn't know this until I experienced my applicant day and realised I got worked up over the team lead articles for no reason.

The team lead session is an experience and for the physical applicant day, no staff was there to judge us. The written component was also very easy and didn't require any prep. So, the whole Applicant day boils down to just interviews.

Didn't know this until I experienced my applicant day and realised I got worked up over the team lead articles for no reason.
That was what I believed initially too. However, I heard that all segments during applicant day are being assessed in one way or another (including lunch with the students). Not sure if it's true but regardless, it's all over and we just gotta hope for good news.

Hi everyone, I haven’t sat for the MCAT yet. Currently struggling to study while working full time at a hospital (busy due to COVID-19). Any tips on how to prepare my notes? Each chapter seems to be more than 5 pages long. Feeling intimated wondering if my brain can remember all the info from 6 books, 12 chapters. How did you guys study and condense your notes? Feeling so lost and demoralized.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I haven’t sat for the MCAT yet. Currently struggling to study while working full time at a hospital (busy due to COVID-19). Any tips on how to prepare my notes? Each chapter seems to be more than 5 pages long. Feeling intimated wondering if my brain can remember all the info from 6 books, 12 chapters. How did you guys study and condense your notes? Feeling so lost and demoralized.
Hey! Dont worry. From your own experience till now in academics, analyse what revision strategy works for you. You could have notes that summarise Khan academy videos, MCAT material and your undergrad notes. That worked for me - having all info related to a concept at one place. Another option could be summarising important points in a page at the top or bottom or sides of the very same page- so that next time you revise, you need not read the entire page. This strategy is primarily for pyschology, biology and biochemistry - for physics and chemistry practice problems and get to the root of concepts by solving MCQs from question banks. CARS - do practice daily for 15min or so depending on your diagnostic test. Hope this helps. Best wishes!

Hi,

I also took the MCAT as a fulltime worker. My suggestion is

1) Take the CARS daily in order to understand what this section is like (MCAT Question of the Day | MCAT CARS Practice - Jack Westin) Jack Westin is a website that sends you daily CARS questions. I took it every morning with a cup of coffee.

2) For psychology, use Khan academy. Additionally, if you google their material, you will find their 100-page-summary which is very useful. This summary is so thorough that once you memorize everything in the Khan's note, you can basically excel in the exam.

3) For the other two sections, you would at some points realize that MCAT is not about memorization (at least for those two sections). Once you get familiar with the contents and ideas, try MCAT question/section banks from AAMC (AAMC MCAT Official Prep Section Bank). This is official study material from the organization which hosts MCAT. Very expensive, but I found that the score from this practice exam is very close to what I got from the actual exam.

Good luck on your MCAT. I previously took many exams before like everyone else in here, including SAT, ACT, AP, and GRE. But, MCAT by far was the hardest one not necessarily because this exam requires more advanced skillsets but because I studied as a full-time worker with limited access to "expensive study material." If you need any help, please let me know!

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply ;)
I purchased the AAMC question bundle and the KAPLAN guide. Cost me a bomb. I’m doing chapter by chapter but it’s taking me forever. Thank you so much :)

Hey! Dont worry. From your own experience till now in academics, analyse what revision strategy works for you. You could have notes that summarise Khan academy videos, MCAT material and your undergrad notes. That worked for me - having all info related to a concept at one place. Another option could be summarising important points in a page at the top or bottom or sides of the very same page- so that next time you revise, you need not read the entire page. This strategy is primarily for pyschology, biology and biochemistry - for physics and chemistry practice problems and get to the root of concepts by solving MCQs from question banks. CARS - do practice daily for 15min or so depending on your diagnostic test. Hope this helps. Best wishes!

Thank you for your reply :)

I tried searching the 100 page Kaplan notes you mentioned, didn’t manage to locate it.

Are you currently studying at DUKE NUS?

Hi,

I also took the MCAT as a fulltime worker. My suggestion is

1) Take the CARS daily in order to understand what this section is like (MCAT Question of the Day | MCAT CARS Practice - Jack Westin) Jack Westin is a website that sends you daily CARS questions. I took it every morning with a cup of coffee.

2) For psychology, use Khan academy. Additionally, if you google their material, you will find their 100-page-summary which is very useful. This summary is so thorough that once you memorize everything in the Khan's note, you can basically excel in the exam.

3) For the other two sections, you would at some points realize that MCAT is not about memorization (at least for those two sections). Once you get familiar with the contents and ideas, try MCAT question/section banks from AAMC (AAMC MCAT Official Prep Section Bank). This is official study material from the organization which hosts MCAT. Very expensive, but I found that the score from this practice exam is very close to what I got from the actual exam.

Good luck on your MCAT. I previously took many exams before like everyone else in here, including SAT, ACT, AP, and GRE. But, MCAT by far was the hardest one not necessarily because this exam requires more advanced skillsets but because I studied as a full-time worker with limited access to "expensive study material." If you need any help, please let me know!

Hey guys! Just wanted to ask if anyone knows whether the school will still be sending out more acceptance letters? I know that the school says it will take about 2-5 months to reply but I was wondering if, beyond a particular time after you attended the applicant day, and still has yet to hear from the school(no waitlisted, no rejection email), it more or less means you should start planning to apply for the next intake? :)

Hey guys! Just wanted to ask if anyone knows whether the school will still be sending out more acceptance letters? I know that the school says it will take about 2-5 months to reply but I was wondering if, beyond a particular time after you attended the applicant day, and still has yet to hear from the school(no waitlisted, no rejection email), it more or less means you should start planning to apply for the next intake? :)

What I found from the last year's forum (2018-2019 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School Application) is they released small batches of acceptance on April 1st and 11st, 2019. The last acceptance went out on May 21st, 2019. I hope you find this information helpful!

Was on the waitlist this January and got an offer today:) hope this helps people who are still waiting, hang in there:)

Reactions: 6 users
Was on the waitlist this January and got an offer today:) hope this helps people who are still waiting, hang in there:)

Congratulations! Glad to hear that! Would you mind telling us when you did your interview and what's your stats?

Congratulations! Glad to hear that! Would you mind telling us when you did your interview and what's your stats?
Thanks!:) I apologize for the late reply. I did my interview in Nov! Will pm you my stats.

Hi guys, hope everything goes well with the Duke-NUS application.

I am actually working full time in Singapore now and I am considering to apply to med schools (SG/Aus/UK) in 2-3 years time.

Just curious as a foreigner who have already graduated from university, is there a way to get some shadowing / attachment opportunities to enhance my profile for med school applications?

I am looking for some opportunities after Covid-19 situation gets better but I am not sure what is the best approach for it. Would be great if someone can shed some light on this. Thank you!

Hey! DId anyone who did the virtual interview online get an acceptance yet from the admissions?

Applied for the 31 Jan 2020 deadline, did my virtual interview on 16 March 2020.

No results yet, if anyone from my batch gets accepted/rejected please post and let us all know haha. Thanks.

Got an offer yesterday! March 16 Applicant Day

Applied for the 31 Jan 2020 deadline, did my virtual interview on 16 March 2020.

No results yet, if anyone from my batch gets accepted/rejected please post and let us all know haha. Thanks.
Got my offer today (17/4/2020) singapore.

i did the applicant day/interview sesh on 16 march

Got my offer today (17/4/2020) singapore.

i did the applicant day/interview sesh on 16 march

Got my offer today too! Did my virtual interview on 16 March.

Anyone knows how to be added into the class 2020 group chat?

Got my offer today too! Did my virtual interview on 16 March.

Anyone knows how to be added into the class 2020 group chat?
Yeahhhh i wanna be added to the group chat too lol. im assuming its on whatsapp since we are in singapore and thats the main chat app that we use haha. can someone pls message me to ask for my handphone number so i can get added to the group too pls thanks XD

Yeahhhh i wanna be added to the group chat too lol. im assuming its on whatsapp since we are in singapore and thats the main chat app that we use haha. can someone pls message me to ask for my handphone number so i can get added to the group too pls thanks XD
Yup me too!

Congratulations! Did you guys apply for MD only or MD-PhD?

Hi, can I know what is ur stat? I am wondering if I am qualified enough to apply

Congrats ! May I know which Uni did you got your undergrad degree?

H
OMG! Accepted a few minutes ago!!! Definitely a gift for thanksgiving. Hope you guys receive your Christmas gift soon!!!
All the best :soexcited: :clap:
hi, congratulations may I know your profile coz I wanted to know am I qualified enough

Hey! Sure :)

My stats:
GPA: 3.49
MCAT: 510
Extensive research and competition experience - no publication.
Shadowing - ~5 weeks
Community volunteering experience
Applied for MD
Hi, can I know if I graduated from Taylor’s University Malaysia with cgpa 3.68 (first class honours) with research component, do you think there is a chance for me to get in???? I really wanted to pursue MD In Singapore.

Hi!
My stats
GPA: 3.89
MCAT: 513
Extensive research experience- no publication.
Shadowing- 150 hours
Minimal volunteering experience.
Applied for MD PhD
MD offer made and accepted
PhD rejected - asked to apply in MD second year again.
Be yourself and things will work out for you. Don't rely on the stats too much. I believe there are more factors involved than simply the numbers.
Best wishes for the interview :thumbup:
Hi! So one candidate can apply for 2 programme?????

H
First of all, I am not bashing anything against medicine in Singapore. For me, the following are the considerations:

1) Lost income for 4 years and in debt for the schooling period despite financial aid.

2) Bottlenecks at every career point. I have spoken to multiple MO who have been competing into limited training spots for years. I was even told that some who got into residency quit halfway because they realise there are no guaranteed consultant jobs. All these is after the straight out of med school residency application system is abolished. Post grad board exams have low passing rates that are set arbitrarily. Therefore, for someone to progress in the medical career, it takes a much longer and harder toll now. All these are legit considerations for guys
to consider. In the open house they show you that u can do your training after graduation, but reality can different.

3) The system does not and will my protect its juniors as long as the bond exist. The bond exist to tie you down in a system where you have no where to run even when you are overworked. They can place an 80 hour work limit but behind the scenes can be different.

In conclusion, this is my observation from shadowing many docs from multiple healthcare clusters (trust me I invested alot of days into shadowing). Basically, you have to look beyond the medical school phase and think about life after graduating and the system you are under. Yet again, these are just my opinions but I applaud anyone who has the passion for a career in medicine! It will be tough but hopefully worth it for you! I hope my spot will be given to someone else more deserving.
thats informative! I just would like to know how do you apply for shadowing? Is it applicable for EP pass holder?

Hi! So one candidate can apply for 2 programme?????
Hello @tzehua97
MD-PhD is a dual degree program. In an application year, you could either apply for an MD or MD-PhD program- not both. You could separately apply for PhD programs. Best wishes!

oh there's also a 21/3 interview group? I thought there were only 16/3 and 27/3

Hi! Just curious, for you guys who did the interview on 21/3 and 27/3 respectively, were you initially invited to attend the Applicant Day in Singapore or the US?