2019-2020 East Carolina

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary prompt:
Please complete this section using the prompt given. Your essay should be limited to 300-500 words and it is strongly recommended that you not copy and paste your AMCAS application essay.

Reflect on your reasons for desiring to study medicine, your future professional aspirations, your most significant clinical experience, and also your most meaningful non-medical experience.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: East Carolina University

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Submitted a primary here. Hopefully will be getting secondary soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
It keeps my declining my payments, despite cards that have worked otherwise.

Reactions: 1 users
It keeps my declining my payments, despite cards that have worked otherwise.
Its been happening to me too! I called and they had no answer, sent it to tech support and are supposed to get back to me tomorrow.....

Haven't gotten the secondary either! Hoping they just send them in batches and the next batch will be soon!
I guess it won’t matter if they don’t fix the payment portal so we can submit our secondary apps lol

I emailed admissions regarding the payment problem, and they said they are looking into it. Hopefully, they fix it soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else get like 4 identical emails about the secondary?

Not an error. Admissions is fed up with us bothering them. "You wanna spam us?? See how you like it when YOUR email is clogged"

Reactions: 2 users
under competencies: "Please review your experiences and match them to the following experience types. While you may match experiences to different competencies, select the most appropriate competency (when possible). "

Do we need to match EVERY experience to a competency? My Frat/hobbies dont really fall under a competency

when assigning classes to pre-reqs, if my phys+phys lab was one 4 credit class, should i assign that class to both "Physics" and "physics Lab" or just only assign it tophysics

when assigning classes to pre-reqs, if my phys+phys lab was one 4 credit class, should i assign that class to both "Physics" and "physics Lab" or just only assign it tophysics
For classes that had those circumstances I just listed the one class under both.

Thanks! and did you tag every AMCAS activity under one of the 3 categories, or did you leave some blank?
I believe I filled out every category and tried to tag all my activities unless it simply didn't fit (like hobbies).

Is the secondary more or less the same as last year?

Is the secondary more or less the same as last year?
@PapaGuava

This year’s prompt is “Please complete this section using the prompt given. Your essay should be limited to 300-500 words and it is strongly recommended that you not copy and paste your AMCAS application essay.

Reflect on your reasons for desiring to study medicine, your future professional aspirations, your most significant clinical experience, and also your most meaningful non-medical experience.
So yep, exactly the same as last year. They say a word limit of 300-500 words but the input box has a 3500 character limit, FWIW.

Last edited:
for those that have received secondaries, has your AMCAS primary application already been verified?

So if everything is "completed" we are good to go?
I'm hoping so? Everything is marked completed for me but I didn't get a confirmation email or anything. The charge showed up on my credit card though lol. I might call admissions on Monday to double check and I'll try to update here. @ me if I haven't posted by Tuesday night.

Update: I got a confirmation email the day after.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm hoping so? Everything is marked completed for me but I didn't get a confirmation email or anything. The charge showed up on my credit card though lol. I might call admissions on Monday to double check and I'll try to update here. @ me if I haven't posted by Tuesday night.
in the words of kanye... they take my money... when im in need... oh they a trifling... school indeed...

As you may know, WebAdmit is a fairly new system. Unfortunately, the application fee reports we receive are difficult for us to match up correctly. To help us out, if you would simply reply to this email with the last 4 digits of the card you used for your payment, this would help us out tremendously. Please DO NOT include any other information.

Did anyone get this email? is it real

Submitted, how long does it take for a confirmation email?

It is. You basically need to enter your RDS number based on the assessment. Instructions are in the secondary. UNC-Chapel Hill also requires it for in-state applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone get an email from Brody asking for the last 4 digits of your card? Is this legit?

Struggling to place experiences with competencies. Where did you guys place paid employment (like summer jobs) or leadership in college clubs?

I recently got Brody's secondary and noticed the word/character count discrepancy like @Lucille95 mentioned earlier. I am near 500 words and at 2500ish characters. I can literally add a whole paragraph (that's not fluff). Would it be bad to be over 500 words but still be in the character limit? I don't want it to seem like I can't follow directions

Also, I am not sure if this is the place to do this but I'd love to exchange secondaries with anyone that is willing to swap. If this is not allowed here, then just disregard this haha

I received a secondary on 7/3 and submitted it on 7/12. I didn't have any issues paying, but the admissions office did ask me to provide the last four digits of my credit card number. I'm a re-applicant and this happened last year as well so it wasn't unexpected - though it is weird.

Also, ECU is super transparent about their process and regularly posts updates here: Admissions Update
To quote their numbers, as of 7/15, they've received 413 primary applications and 129 secondaries.

II received!

I recently got Brody's secondary and noticed the word/character count discrepancy like @Lucille95 mentioned earlier. I am near 500 words and at 2500ish characters. I can literally add a whole paragraph (that's not fluff). Would it be bad to be over 500 words but still be in the character limit? I don't want it to seem like I can't follow directions

Also, I am not sure if this is the place to do this but I'd love to exchange secondaries with anyone that is willing to swap. If this is not allowed here, then just disregard this haha
I played it safe and kept it under 500 words with the same thinking that I don’t want to get binged for not following directions on the slim chance that they look at the word count. I also already had it prewritten under 500 words.

Up to you!