2019-2020 Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM-Auburn)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary Received today!

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone who has received the secondary, what all are you putting in the "CV" section? Are we supposed to put everything (e.g. all volunteer experiences, work experiences, military activity), or do we just need to account for what our time has spent doing the past few years? I volunteer, but it wasn't the sole thing I was doing for any period of time. I'm just not sure what they want from this section.

For anyone who has received the secondary, what all are you putting in the "CV" section? Are we supposed to put everything (e.g. all volunteer experiences, work experiences, military activity), or do we just need to account for what our time has spent doing the past few years? I volunteer, but it wasn't the sole thing I was doing for any period of time. I'm just not sure what they want from this section.
I put down pretty much everything (things that were also on my AACOMAS) and just put the times I did them. I didn’t write a description for each! Just put my title/employer

Looks like they also ask if you've ever received a speeding ticket going over 10 mph, this was many years ago I either went 10 or 12 mph .... hmm I might have to call my insurance company to verify this :shrug:

Looks like they also ask if you've ever received a speeding ticket going over 10 mph, this was many years ago I either went 10 or 12 mph .... hmm I might have to call my insurance company to verify this :shrug:
We got a felon in our hands lol. me too bruh.

If we’re interested in all campuses, do we fill out one primary on AACOMAS and then rank/choose the campus on the secondary or add all 3 campuses on AACOMAS?

Anyone care to share the secondary essay prompts?

Anyone care to share the secondary essay prompts?
1. "Describe a significant challenge you have experienced in your life, share the strategies you employed to overcome the challenge, and what you learned from the experience. " (500 characters)

2. "Professionalism and respect in the community in which you live is of utmost importance in medical school and as a physician. What three professional qualities do you believe a Student Doctor must demonstrate and describe how you will demonstrate these qualities as a medical student at VCOM?" (500 characters)

3. "How do your professional ambitions align with osteopathic medicine?" (500 characters)

4. What influenced your decision to apply to VCOM? (e.g., personal or medical experiences; influences of friends/family/physicians/mentors; etc.) (500 characters)

1. "Describe a significant challenge you have experienced in your life, share the strategies you employed to overcome the challenge, and what you learned from the experience. " (500 characters)

2. "Professionalism and respect in the community in which you live is of utmost importance in medical school and as a physician. What three professional qualities do you believe a Student Doctor must demonstrate and describe how you will demonstrate these qualities as a medical student at VCOM?" (500 characters)

3. "How do your professional ambitions align with osteopathic medicine?" (500 characters)

4. What influenced your decision to apply to VCOM? (e.g., personal or medical experiences; influences of friends/family/physicians/mentors; etc.) (500 characters)

Thanks!

How does this school seem to be toward non traditional grad? I live in rural area in Alabama about 30 min north birmingham. I have worked past 10 years in radiology as radiology tech, and CNA 3 years prior, paying for college and raising a family.i really like what VCOM offers. Seems be great school. I noticed grandview medical center and Brookwood was possible clinical sites, both great hospitals have worked at and would love do my clinicals there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone here that gets fee waivers and has problems submitting their application? It says my fee has been paid for already but it won't let me submit my application because it reads that the payment section is still incomplete

just to clarify, if we already submitted our letters through AAMCAS do we have to fill out the letters of rec section? I'm confused.

just to clarify, if we already submitted our letters through AAMCAS do we have to fill out the letters of rec section? I'm confused.
Yes, my thinking is that it tells them which ones you want them to read.

Dang. So what all did you put? I have everything already on AACOMAS and don't want to do it again :dead:
Yeah, I'm also wondering if I should just do the CV section as a list format or just copy and paste the descriptions from the primary app.

Anyone here that gets fee waivers and has problems submitting their application? It says my fee has been paid for already but it won't let me submit my application because it reads that the payment section is still incomplete

Were you ever able to submit the app? I've been waiting nearly a week and still cannot submit it.

This CV section is brutal. They must not even look at your primary if they want everything from your entire life listed on the CV. Why can't I just attach one :(

500 words not characters...Busy re-writing these now lol know wonder they seemed short.

Last edited:
This CV section is brutal. They must not even look at your primary if they want everything from your entire life listed on the CV. Why can't I just attach one :(

Haha I remember doing this years ago, it’s sucks. Think 4 years from now you get to do the same for residency. Lol it all just repeats over and over.

Has anyone received a complete email or II?

Hey guys, OMS-I here at Auburn. Just went through the process, so kind fresh in my memory.

I would be happy to answer any questions that you may have! Just remember that I am also doing this med school thing now, so if I take a little while to respond, I am sorry!

Hey guys, OMS-I here at Auburn. Just went through the process, so kind fresh in my memory.

I would be happy to answer any questions that you may have! Just remember that I am also doing this med school thing now, so if I take a little while to respond, I am sorry!

Thanks for the input! How are the facilities and the ties with Auburn University? What do you think of the mandatory attendance and dress code?

Thanks for the input! How are the facilities and the ties with Auburn University? What do you think of the mandatory attendance and dress code?
Facilities are above par to me. Building built in 2015 means that it is top-notch. The facilities are as good if not maybe a little better than at least 1 of my state MD schools.

Further, you ARE an Auburn student. War Eagle! You have access to anything any other auburn student does.

We are done most days by 12 or 2 (either we are done at lunch [12-1 always] or we have 1 lecture after). So, it’s not the worst mandatory attendance ever - I usually pay no attention to lecture and study the things I need to in class anyways. We also get to miss 12 days or 22 half days.

The dress is basically khakis and a collared shirt for guys. Nothing crazy, and once class is over, you can change.

Reactions: 2 users
Facilities are above par to me. Building built in 2015 means that it is top-notch. The facilities are as good if not maybe a little better than at least 1 of my state MD schools.

Further, you ARE an Auburn student. War Eagle! You have access to anything any other auburn student does.

We are done most days by 12 or 2 (either we are done at lunch [12-1 always] or we have 1 lecture after). So, it’s not the worst mandatory attendance ever - I usually pay no attention to lecture and study the things I need to in class anyways. We also get to miss 12 days or 22 half days.

The dress is basically khakis and a collared shirt for guys. Nothing crazy, and once class is over, you can change.

Awesome! Thanks for the insight. I think being an Auburn student would be awesome because they have a great sports culture. The attendance thing doesn't sound too bad along with the dress code. Cheers! Hope to get an interview here or at the Virginia location. *fingers crossed*

Hello,

Thanks for being open to questions!

Do you remember how long it took to get a decision back from VCOM in regards to admission?

Hello,

Thanks for being open to questions!

Do you remember how long it took to get a decision back from VCOM in regards to admission?
I am probably not the best to ask. I have a couple of my classmates that submitted, got an interview two weeks later, and got accepted two weeks after that.

For me, it took 5 months to hear back for an interview, a month later for the interview, and 3 months till acceptance. Ultimately, for me, it was a 9 month process.

Reactions: 1 users
Ugh its so weird how that is, I was "complete" early July and still haven't received anything should I just assume that I am rejected as they are offering interviews to people that were complete a couple of weeks after me? This is so sad :(

I submitted my secondary like 2 weeks ago, got a complete email 2 days ago, and II invite today by email
That's great congrats, but I thought that they would only call us for an interview invite... are they doing it differently this year. On my complete email it says that "should you get an interview, you will receive a phone call from us"?

Thanks in advance for the help!

That's great congrats, but I thought that they would only call us for an interview invite... are they doing it differently this year. On my complete email it says that "should you get an interview, you will receive a phone call from us"?

Thanks in advance for the help!
No, you should not assume you have been rejected. Plenty of people for interviews and acceptance way before I did even though I submitted first - yet here I stand in the class.

My interview invite came from email.

Hey, I'm applying to VCOM and have a couple of questions. Am I supposed to apply to all the campuses to be eligible for interview for any campus or can I apply to just one of the campus site and potentially get an interview invite from any campus depending on my ranking and eligibility. Also, for the CV section, am I supposed to write a description (essentially do I copy my experience section in AACOMAS? Thank you.

Hey, I'm applying to VCOM and have a couple of questions. Am I supposed to apply to all the campuses to be eligible for interview for any campus or can I apply to just one of the campus site and potentially get an interview invite from any campus depending on my ranking and eligibility. Also, for the CV section, am I supposed to write a description (essentially do I copy my experience section in AACOMAS? Thank you.
So, what you end up doing is applying to just one location and if you receive a secondary, then you will be able to rank your campus preference. You will receive only ONE interview invite from VCOM, and where your interview is at will be the campus that you are being considered at.

Also, I have no idea what this "CV" section everyone is referring to this year, so I am assuming it is new.

Reactions: 2 users
II on 8/19, OOS. Submitted secondary 7/26

Reactions: 1 users
I've been trolling this thread for a while in anticipation. Very happy to be done with that part of the process and had my share of hiccups. I got my secondary 06/20 and submitted it by 06/24. I didn't get my verification email until 08/02 and I had to call and ask about it several times. I had the pay issue as well with my secondary. VCOM is the only school I have applied to since my family is rooted here in Auburn. I am a nontraditional applicant and the school seemed very open to that when I went to the open house so hopefully chances are good.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone else found that admissions is somewhat inaccessible at Auburn? I can usually get someone on the phone after several attempts but rarely hear back if I ever email or leave a message.