2019-2020 Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM-Carolinas)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Is there only one application for all of the VCOM campuses?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know why my secondary email says pending MCAT? I already included my MCAT and AAMC ID in my app, is this what they say to all students?

Does anyone know after the primary is verified how long it takes to be offered a secondary?

Does anyone know after the primary is verified how long it takes to be offered a secondary?
I received it the next day after verification (which was like June 25th or something).

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone with the fee waiver unable to submit app due to the app fee?

Does anyone know when interviews start to go out?

Members don't see this ad :)
Received the "application complete" email this morning (7/29). I submitted the secondary on 7/12.

Does anyone know when interviews start to go out?

The first one to go out last year (that was acknowledged on sdn) was August 8th, so maybe in the next week or so. They said they received a phone call, so that's exciting!

Last edited:
The first one to go out (that was acknowledged on sdn) was August 8th, so maybe in the next week or so. They said they received a phone call, so that's exciting!

Uh oh, haha I usually don't take calls from unknown numbers b/c of spam callers. This is not good lol maybe I should memorize their number

• Haha
Uh oh, haha I usually don't take calls from unknown numbers b/c of spam callers. This is not good lol maybe I should memorize their number
I mean, I feel like they would leave a message if we didnt pick up hahah hopefully!!

Can anyone give me II chances? Received secondary 7/5 before MCAT scores were in, submitted today. sGPA: 3.82, cGPA: 3.86. MCAT scores just came out today: 497 (123, 127, 122, 125). Definitely lower than expected and retaking 9/6. ECs include some DO and MD shadowing, free clinic volunteer, and 1300+ research hours.

Can anyone give me II chances? Received secondary 7/5 before MCAT scores were in, submitted today. sGPA: 3.82, cGPA: 3.86. MCAT scores just came out today: 497 (123, 127, 122, 125). Definitely lower than expected and retaking 9/6. ECs include some DO and MD shadowing, free clinic volunteer, and 1300+ research hours.

Their website says that an MCAT score of 500 or higher is competitive. They don't seem to imply that under a 500 would not be considered, but I imagine it will be very hard with that score. Another thing they will consider is your GPA. You have a very competitive GPA, one that would qualify you for top schools. A GPA and MCAT score that don't match will raise a lot of red flags to an admissions committee. Your GPA is probably 80th percentile or greater and your MCAT is <50th percentile, which is a strong mismatch. Those are some things to consider.

My SO got into the Virginia campus (which is supposedly more competitive) last year with a lower GPA and a 498 MCAT. You could receive an II, don't give up yet. I hear they are big on GPA so you could be in luck!

Reactions: 2 users
My SO got into the Virginia campus (which is supposedly more competitive) last year with a lower GPA and a 498 MCAT. You could receive an II, don't give up yet. I hear they are big on GPA so you could be in luck!
What is considered a lower GPA? I have a cGPA of 3.48 and a sGPA of 3.67

For the CV portion did you guys list all your experiences again? Seems so repetitive. But it doesn't say "not included in AACOMAS"

For the CV portion did you guys list all your experiences again? Seems so repetitive. But it doesn't say "not included in AACOMAS"
I only listed work/volunteer/school. I didn't list anything like hobbies that I put on AACOMAS

I feel like other schools are already interviewing! Has anyone heard anything from here yet?

Secondary received today!

Any news on interviews? A lot of other schools started sending them out already

I am wondering the same thing!
They started sending interviews on August 8th last year, so they will start sending them out next week probably!

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else way under the 500 word limit on the essays? I'm hovering around 300 words for each response... just hope this is adequate.

Anyone else way under the 500 word limit on the essays? I'm hovering around 300 words for each response... just hope this is adequate.

Mine weren’t all 500. As long as you answer the question and go into enough detail to get your point across, you should be good

I think thats what mine were about at as well. I don't think its a big deal. I couldn't think of anymore to write. Besides, they would rather hear what you really want to say than just some fluff to fill the 500 word max limit (they probably don't wanna read that much anyways :laugh:)

Has anyone not received a secondary from this school yet?

I only received this email on 6/23 and haven't heard back anything yet:

"We thank you for taking the time to submit an application to the Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine. Your application is scheduled to be reviewed by committee. The purpose of the committee meeting is to determine whether or not to invite you to submit a Secondary Application along with letters of recommendation.

Please be advised: considering the volume of applications we receive, the review process may take a few months. As soon as the committee has had the opportunity to review your file, we will be certain to notify you by email."

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone not received a secondary from this school yet?

I only received this email on 6/23 and haven't heard back anything yet:

"We thank you for taking the time to submit an application to the Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine. Your application is scheduled to be reviewed by committee. The purpose of the committee meeting is to determine whether or not to invite you to submit a Secondary Application along with letters of recommendation.

Please be advised: considering the volume of applications we receive, the review process may take a few months. As soon as the committee has had the opportunity to review your file, we will be certain to notify you by email."

I would just call them, they have been super nice when I have contacted them. I got my secondary 5 days after submitting the primary!

I just received an email today stating my application is complete. I was confused because I thought it was already complete. I just misread the last email stating they received my secondary. Waiting and praying for an interview!

I just received an email today stating my application is complete. I was confused because I thought it was already complete. I just misread the last email stating they received my secondary. Waiting and praying for an interview!

When did you submit?

I am assuming no calls this week. The wait is torture!

Reactions: 3 users
I agree! I sent an email last month in response to my letters of recommendation. Never heard anything back so I emailed again last week. Still nothing. Then I called and left a message, and they still haven't contacted me at all. They are either really busy or they can't respond to students very quickly. I feel a little disheartened because this was my top choice. Is this type of wait time normal for VCOM?
I am not sure. I feel like this time last year they were already sending out interview invites. Hopefully next week. Good luck!

I am not sure. I feel like this time last year they were already sending out interview invites. Hopefully next week. Good luck!

Thank you; you too!

II to Louisiana campus. There is no specific thread for this campus

Reactions: 2 users