2019-2020 Florida Atlantic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if the committee has met (probably virtually) to review the waitlisted applicants yet?
well we got an email from Monica on March 16 saying that the Admissions Office is preparing to start reviewing applicants currently on the waitlist, so it's possible that they've already started!! I guess there's no way to know for sure, but I'm pretty sure we won't hear anything back until after April 30 anyway

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What application are you talking about? FAFSA?

No, it was sent to us I think the accepted students and it's online on their website as well. People on the alternate list and who have been accepted can both apply for scholarships. I submitted my application less than a week ago and I got an award amount today which covers about 70% of my tuition for my first year. IDK if the scholarship can be renewed because it specifically said "for your first year of medical school" If its only for my first year that would be pretty annoying

Members don't see this ad :)
No, it was sent to us I think the accepted students and it's online on their website as well. People on the alternate list and who have been accepted can both apply for scholarships. I submitted my application less than a week ago and I got an award amount today which covers about 70% of my tuition for my first year. IDK if the scholarship can be renewed because it specifically said "for your first year of medical school" If its only for my first year that would be pretty annoying
Did you email them the completed form and essays? and did you receive a confirmation or a reply that your document is received?

Did you email them the completed form and essays? and did you receive a confirmation or a reply that your document is received?
I did not receive confirmation. I even sent a question in that email and they did not reply but I got extended an offer for a scholarship a week later. And today FAU sent me my loan offer as well and it's a huge amount I'm like my heart is palpating.

I did not receive confirmation. I even sent a question in that email and they did not reply but I got extended an offer for a scholarship a week later. And today FAU sent me my loan offer as well and it's a huge amount I'm like my heart is palpating.
Thank you! I'm happy for you!!!!!

When do financial aid packages come out?
After you do fafsa and complete the form I think. As soon as I turned in the form a little over a week later I got my loan amount. I’ve attached the link below for the scholarship form. I’m pretty sure everyone gets something

After you do fafsa and complete the form I think. As soon as I turned in the form a little over a week later I got my loan amount. I’ve attached the link below for the scholarship form. I’m pretty sure everyone gets something

Do we have to follow a certain font or letter size for the essays? single spaced or double spaced?
I think I'm overthinking haha!

Do we have to follow a certain font or letter size for the essays? single spaced or double spaced?
I think I'm overthinking haha!
Yeah you might be overthinking it a little. I just did times new Roman with 12 point font and like 1.25 or like 1.5 spacing. I finessed certain margins to make it fit one page if I wrote a little too much or something. You have to convert it into a pdf anyway so they’ll never be able to tell

Yeah you might be overthinking it a little. I just did times new Roman with 12 point font and like 1.25 or like 1.5 spacing. I finessed certain margins to make it fit one page if I wrote a little too much or something. You have to convert it into a pdf anyway so they’ll never be able to tell
Got it! Thank you so much :)

Members don't see this ad :)
yess tbh I would love if accepted people could let us know how likely they are to actually matriculate here ;)
Still deciding between schools. It’s down to FAU and one other school. I’m waiting for financial aid packages to make a final decision. Hopefully by the end of the week I can let FAU know my final decision

Reactions: 2 users
I have an A here and most likely won't matriculate, simply due to OOS costs. I want to attend 2nd look and get a deeper understanding of the program and potentially wait 1-2 more weeks to see if I can get some fin aid packages. Those are the two reasons I am holding on to my A right now.

I have an A here and most likely won't matriculate, simply due to OOS costs. I want to attend 2nd look and get a deeper understanding of the program and potentially wait 1-2 more weeks to see if I can get some fin aid packages. Those are the two reasons I am holding on to my A right now.

Was an email for a virtual second look sent out or they don’t have one?

Yes an email was sent out for 2nd look, you did not get one?
Did not get one as I was waitlisted, but from what I recall in previous years they sometimes send one to waitlisted applicants.

Did anyone on the waitlist get one this year?

Did not get one as I was waitlisted, but from what I recall in previous years they sometimes send one to waitlisted applicants.

Did anyone on the waitlist get one this year?
Ahh I’m sorry, hopefully you hear good things from then in the coming weeks.

Hi everyone! I'm a graduating 4th year med student at FAU who matched into a competitive specialty. I'd be happy to answer any lingering questions, with the decision deadline coming up. I used this site as a pre-med, and I'm hoping to pay it forward. A bit about me... I'm a FL resident who was accepted off the waitlist and chose FAU over two other in-state public med schools plus one out-of-state private school. The campus + a very generous scholarship were the main reasons. All advice/opinions are my own, and it's also possible that anything I tell you about FAU could change by the time you get there.

Hi everyone! I'm a graduating 4th year med student at FAU who matched into a competitive specialty. I'd be happy to answer any lingering questions, with the decision deadline coming up. I used this site as a pre-med, and I'm hoping to pay it forward. A bit about me... I'm a FL resident who was accepted off the waitlist and chose FAU over two other in-state public med schools plus one out-of-state private school. The campus + a very generous scholarship were the main reasons. All advice/opinions are my own, and it's also possible that anything I tell you about FAU could change by the time you get there.

Thanks! Was wondering as an OOS what a potential scholarship/finaid package could look like. Do you know if any of your OOS classmates received a finaid package/scholarship and what it looked like?

Hi guys! Does anyone have the match list for 2020? I had the email Monica sent a few weeks ago but deleted it :/ I'm making my final decision but couldn't find much online

Thanks! Was wondering as an OOS what a potential scholarship/finaid package could look like. Do you know if any of your OOS classmates received a finaid package/scholarship and what it looked like?
I've only talked about this with one of my OOS friends, so I don't have enough data to really say. Anywhere you look at, I'd recommend considering the difference between a one-time scholarship that you can reapply for and a scholarship that's guaranteed every year. I was guaranteed a certain amount every year, but some of my classmates were only guaranteed money for the first year. I also know of a few people who thought they could start as an OOS student but then fulfill the requirements to be in-state after the first year. This is risky and usually doesn't work.

Hi guys! Does anyone have the match list for 2020? I had the email Monica sent a few weeks ago but deleted it :/ I'm making my final decision but couldn't find much online

SPECIALTY RESIDENCY INSTITUTION CITY ST
AnesthesiologyIcahn School College of Medicine at Mount SinaiNEW YORKNY
AnesthesiologyUniversity of Texas Southwestern Medical SchoolDALLASTX
Emergency MedicineCarolinas Medical CenterCHARLOTTENC
Emergency MedicineEmory University School of MedicineATLANTAGA
Emergency MedicineUniversity of Florida College of Medicine -Shands HospitalGAINESVILLEFL
Emergency MedicineZucker School of Medicine-Northwell North Shore/ Long Island JewishMANHASSETNY
Emergency MedicineMt Sinai Medical CenterMIAMI BEACHFL
Emergency MedicineJohn Peter Smith HospitalFORT WORTHTX
Emergency MedicineUniversity South Florida Morsani College of MedicineTAMPAFL
Family MedicineUniversity of Florida College of Medicine - Shands HospitalGAINESVILLEFL
Internal MedicineUniversity of Kentucky Medical CenterLEXINGTONKY
Internal MedicineLouisiana State University School of MedicineNEW ORLEANSLA
Internal MedicineEmory University School of MedicineATLANTAGA
Internal MedicineWake Forest Baptist Medical CenterWINSTON-SALEMNC
Internal MedicineUniversity of Michigan Hospital - Ann ArborANN ARBORMI
Internal MedicineGeorge Washington UniversityWASHINGTONDC
Internal MedicineUniversity of South Florida Morsani College of MedicineTAMPAFL
Internal MedicineMedical College of GeorgiaAUGUSTAGA
Internal MedicineUniversity of Florida College of Medicine -Shands HospitalGAINESVILLEFL
Internal MedicineBaylor College Medicine - HoustonHOUSTONTX
Internal MedicineBaylor College Medicine - HoustonHOUSTONTX
Internal MedicineUniversity of Florida College of Medicine -Shands HospitalGAINESVILLEFL
Internal MedicineFAU Schmidt College of MedicineBOCA RATONFL
Internal Medicine - PreliminaryFAU Schmidt College of MedicineBOCA RATONFL
Internal Medicine/PediatricsLouisiana State University School of MedicineNEW ORLEANSLA
Neurological SurgeryUniversity Hospital -JacksonJACKSONMS
NeurologyUniversity of Florida College of Medicine -JacksonvilleJACKSONVILLEFL
NeurologyBarnes-Jewish HospitalST LOUISMO
NeurologyWalter Reed National Military Medical CenterBETHESDAMD
Orthopaedic SurgeryAlbany Medical CenterALBANYNY
Orthopaedic SurgeryUniversity of South Florida Morsani College of MedicineTAMPAFL
Orthopaedic SurgeryWest Virginia University School of MedicineMORGANTOWNWV
Pathology-Anatomic and ClinicalMedical University of South CarolinaCHARLESTONSC
PediatricsUniversity of Maryland Medical CenterBALTIMOREMD
PediatricsCincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center - OhioCINCINNATIOH
PediatricsNationwide Children’s Hospital - OhioCOLUMBUSOH
PediatricsNemours Children’s HospitalORLANDOFL
PediatricsNicklaus Children’s HospitalMIAMIFL
PediatricsNew York-Presbyterian / Columbia University Medical CenterNEW YORKNY
PediatricsUniversity Washington Affiliated HospitalSEATTLEWA
PediatricsCincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center-OhioCINCINNATIOH
PediatricsChildren's Hospital - Los AngelesLOS ANGELESCA
Physical Medicine and RehabilitationUniversity of Texas Health Science Center - San AntonioSAN ANTONIOTX
Internal Medicine - PsychiatryVidant Medical Center/East Carolina UniversityGREENVILLENC
PsychiatryMemorial Healthcare System-FLPEMBROKE PINESFL
PsychiatryZucker School of Medicine - Northwell Staten Island UniversitySTATEN ISLANDNY
PsychiatryUniversity of Central Florida College of Medicine / GME ConsortiumGAINESVILLEFL
PsychiatryRutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical SchoolPISCATAWAYNJ
PsychiatryLoyola University Medical CenterMAYWOODIL
PsychiatryTemple University HospitalPHILADELPHIAPA
Radiology-DiagnosticAdventHealth OrlandoORLANDOFL
Radiology-DiagnosticAventura HospitalAVENTURAFL
Surgery-GeneralUniversity of Vermont Medical CenterBURLINGTONVT
Surgery-GeneralMedical College of GeorgiaAUGUSTAGA
Surgery-GeneralFAU Schmidt College of MedicineBOCA RATONFL
Surgery-GeneralFAU Schmidt College of MedicineBOCA RATONFL
Surgery-GeneralStony Brook Teaching HospitalSTONY BROOKNY
Surgery-General - PreliminaryUniversity of Florida College of Medicine -Shands HospitalGAINESVILLEFL
Surgery-General - PreliminaryUniversity of Florida College of Medicine -Shands HospitalGAINESVILLEFL
Surgery-General - PreliminaryTulane UniversityNEW ORLEANSLA
Surgery-GeneralSt. Barnabas HospitalBRONXNY
UrologyUniversity of ArkansasLITTLE ROCKAR

Hello! do you remember when you got off the waitlist and how you found out? Also, while you were on the waitlist, did you do anything specific to help with your placement?

Hello! do you remember when you got off the waitlist and how you found out? Also, while you were on the waitlist, did you do anything specific to help with your placement?
I got off the waitlist a day or two after whatever deadline you all have around May 1st (I think it was the deadline to narrow down to one school?), and was notified via phone call. I didn't do anything specific to help with my placement. In fact, I didn't even notify them after being placed on the waitlist that I wished to remain on the waitlist (I already had acceptances at schools I really liked, so it wasn't a priority to me). I wouldn't recommend this approach though.

Did you feel restricted with the amount of research opportunities present at fau? I also heard that FAU is the weakest, relative to other Florida schools, in terms of clinical preparedness for residency, what are your thoughts on that and did you notice any weaknesses during the rotations?

Hi! Do you know how the waitlist movement is on average?

Did you feel restricted with the amount of research opportunities present at fau? I also heard that FAU is the weakest, relative to other Florida schools, in terms of clinical preparedness for residency, what are your thoughts on that and did you notice any weaknesses during the rotations?
I personally never felt restricted. They do a good job of finding opportunities for everyone for the summer after M1 year (when you'll have the most time for research). Without residency programs for many of the research-heavy specialties, there aren't as many people working on research and pushing publications, so I've had to do a lot of the work myself in order to get published. I'm grateful for this though, because I know that I can carry a project from start to finish, and that's how I framed it in my residency interviews. I will say that one of the downsides is that it can be hard to get funding for research. I was selected to present my research at a national conference, and both the med school and university funds for conference travel were out of money.

We'll see in a few months how clinically prepared I am for residency. Any school that doesn't have a single teaching hospital where everyone rotates is going to have variability in the clinical skills of its students, which I would say is the main weakness of rotations. It also depends on how much the students care. FAU differs for 3rd year from many med schools because we take our end-of-rotation exams (shelf exams) at the end of the semester, rather than at the end of each rotation like most med schools. It's nice to be able to focus on rotations and not worry about having to take a standardized test at the end of every one. But that can also take away some of the pressure to study if you have a particularly easy attending. They've also been making an effort to change their approach to clinical education during the M1 and M2 years after my class raised concerns about it.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! Do you know how the waitlist movement is on average?
No clue, sorry. A lot of people in my class came from the waitlist, but I don't know if that's the case for other classes.

Just withdrew my acceptance, the hardest thing I had to do because I'm scared the school I'm going to is gonna rescind me or something. Just the neurotic premed talking basically LOL

I hope whoever really wants to go gets in. Good Luck!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Just withdrew my acceptance as well. The OOS costs were just too insane for me to wrap my head around. I wish you all the best of luck this cycle, and I am glad my spot is going to one of you. Good luck everyone!

• Love
Just withdrew my A and hoping it goes to one of you wonderful people! Best of luck everyone!!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Sorry if this has been asked before, but does anyone know if FAU requires using the Plan to Enroll feature? I didn’t select it just yet because I wasn’t sure if it would negatively impact my waitlist standing at other schools—does anyone know if that’s true?? Thanks!!

Sorry if this has been asked before, but does anyone know if FAU requires using the Plan to Enroll feature? I didn’t select it just yet because I wasn’t sure if it would negatively impact my waitlist standing at other schools—does anyone know if that’s true?? Thanks!!
It definitely doesn't affect your waitlists at other schools but I am pretty sure according to AAMC you have to select it or the school has the right to rescind your offer.

Do you know if FAU requires admitted/accepted students to pay any deposit?
The only thing I have heard back after acceptance is from financial aid....I'm kinda worried as I was accepted to another school and they required deposit like right away.
Thanks!

I remember Monica said the deposit would be due after April 30th

I remember Monica said the deposit would be due after April 30th
Do you know if Monica/admission office will send us a link for payment? I was reading the acceptance and didn't see anywhere that mentioned seat deposit...which is strange

Do you know if Monica/admission office will send us a link for payment? I was reading the acceptance and didn't see anywhere that mentioned seat deposit...which is strange

Yea I think we will get a link for it sometime after today. I didn’t see anything on the acceptance letter either but at second look day, they said they would send out more info once they had a better idea who was attending.

Yea I think we will get a link for it sometime after today. I didn’t see anything on the acceptance letter either but at second look day, they said they would send out more info once they had a better idea who was attending.
Did they mention anything about the waitlist movement on the second look day?

How did you guys withdraw? Through the [email protected] email? I sent an email regarding my withdrawal but I did not get a response back so I’m just curious

Just withdrew my acceptance as well. The OOS costs were just too insane for me to wrap my head around. I wish you all the best of luck this cycle, and I am glad my spot is going to one of you. Good luck everyone!
+1

Reactions: 1 users
Did they mention anything about the waitlist movement on the second look day?

They didn’t but a few of the M1s in charge of the program mentioned they were off the waitlist. :)

Any WL movement yet? Wondering if they will be calling the next few days because their office is closed on the weekend...

Reactions: 4 users