2019-2020 George Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary prompt:

• Please provide the Admissions Committee with a brief summary of your activities, academics, employment or other occupations to account for full-time activity (approx. 30-40 hours/week) from the point of application through matriculation in 2020. (750 characters)
  • The MD Program includes substantial content in Clinical Public Health (population health, health systems science, health policy, and community health) to prepare GW graduates for an expanded scope of practice required to be successful 21st century physicians. What are your specific interests and experiences related to that aspect of the MD Program? (350 characters)
  • What is your most meaningful clinical experience to date, involving direct patient contact? (350 characters)
  • What makes you a unique individual? What challenges have you faced? How will these factors help you contribute to the diversity of the student body at GW? (1000 characters)
  • What is your specific interest in the MD Program at GW? What opportunities would you take advantage of as a student here? Why? (2000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: George Washington University

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The first post...this is weird. I'm prewriting my secondaries and would love some insight into one of GW's prompts (assuming they are the same as last year). My question is on the prompt that states: "What makes you a unique individual? What challenges have you faced? How will these factors help you contribute to the diversity of the student body at GW? (1000 characters)" My topic for my diversity essay does NOT bring in any challenges/adversity. I'm wondering if I need to discuss something that comprises both? Or can I ignore the challenge part and just focus on the diversity aspect?

Reactions: 1 user
The first post...this is weird. I'm prewriting my secondaries and would love some insight into one of GW's prompts (assuming they are the same as last year). My question is on the prompt that states: "What makes you a unique individual? What challenges have you faced? How will these factors help you contribute to the diversity of the student body at GW? (1000 characters)" My topic for my diversity essay does NOT bring in any challenges/adversity. I'm wondering if I need to discuss something that comprises both? Or can I ignore the challenge part and just focus on the diversity aspect?

Maybe approach it in reverse? Instead of adversity making you "unique/diverse," talk about an instance when your unique experience or perspective helped you overcome a challenge?

I dunno I also think this secondary is weird. It's like they purposefully spun it so you can't just toss in your boilerplate diversity essay.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe approach it in reverse? Instead of adversity making you "unique/diverse," talk about an instance when your unique experience or perspective helped you overcome a challenge?

I dunno I also think this secondary is weird. It's like they purposefully spun it so you can't just toss in your boilerplate diversity essay.

Thanks for the response; I think that's a great way to approach it. Looking at last years thread I didn't see many people asking about it so I'm not sure what others did. Going to have to think about this one a little bit...

Maybe check out this article? http://www.savvypremed.com/savvy-pr...th-sciences-secondary-essays?rq=george washin

They have advice for a bunch of schools' secondaries and I have been finding some of them pretty helpful when prewriting also so maybe it could give you some inspiration? Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
it seems that GW is very focused on promoting URMs in medicine and primary care. is this an accurate assessment?

it seems that GW is very focused on promoting URMs in medicine and primary care. is this an accurate assessment?
tbh it seems almost every school would fit this description

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
working on pre-writing secondaries and have a question about this prompt from last year:
"Please provide the Admissions Committee with a brief summary of your activities, academics, employment or other occupations to account for full-time activity (approx. 30-40 hours/week) for the 2018-2019 application cycle, or from the point of application through matriculation"

So I will be a re-applicant (unless i get off one of my 3 waitlists within the next month) and I planned my gap year in accordance with the previous application cycle. So basically all of my employment/volunteering activities of the past year ended at the end of May so that I would either have time to move for the start of 2023 medical school or work on my reapplication. With getting my re-app ready and not being able to commit to a job because of my waitlists I dont really have anything I can put for this prompt. Any suggestions?

TL;DR dont know how i will be spending my application year because being on waitlists from previous cycle is restricting me from committing to anything

Members don't see this ad :)
  • Please provide the Admissions Committee with a brief summary of your activities, academics, employment or other occupations to account for full-time activity (approx. 30-40 hours/week) from the point of application through matriculation in 2020. (750 characters)
  • The MD Program includes substantial content in Clinical Public Health (population health, health systems science, health policy, and community health) to prepare GW graduates for an expanded scope of practice required to be successful 21st century physicians. What are your specific interests and experiences related to that aspect of the MD Program? (350 characters)
  • What is your most meaningful clinical experience to date, involving direct patient contact? (350 characters)
  • What makes you a unique individual? What challenges have you faced? How will these factors help you contribute to the diversity of the student body at GW? (1000 characters)
  • What is your specific interest in the MD Program at GW? What opportunities would you take advantage of as a student here? Why? (2000 characters)

Reactions: 6 users
thank you!! looks like only the second question changed from last year

For the question about meaningful clinical experience, what should we do if one of our most significant activities was clinical volunteering?? Should I reiterate something similar to what I said in the Work/Activities section or choose another experience?

For the question about meaningful clinical experience, what should we do if one of our most significant activities was clinical volunteering?? Should I reiterate something similar to what I said in the Work/Activities section or choose another experience?
That's the way I am approaching this question. But I am just explaining it differently and using a different perspective on how impactful it's been versus what I put on AMCAS, more specific. Does this make sense?

How are y'all answering these questions with only 350 characters

Reactions: 3 users
How are we supposed to format these answers?

When I copy/ paste into the box or write out a response directly into the box, the text just keeps going on as one long line.

Do i have to make line breaks myself or will this mess up how the essay is printed/ downloaded?

We have to pay to even see the secondary...definitely not extortion :)

Reactions: 1 users
I don't even fully understand the new prompt...are they just asking about if we have had any experience with public/population/community health and if not if we have any interests in it??

I don't even fully understand the new prompt...are they just asking about if we have had any experience with public/population/community health and if not if we have any interests in it??
+1 confused as well

I mean I guess you have to pay the primary app fee to see the secondary app, but you don't have to pay the secondary fee to see the secondary app lol

Reactions: 1 users
How are you all approaching the second question? I feel like there isn't enough space but I'm not 100% sure what it is even asking.

For the following prompt: "What is your most meaningful clinical experience to date",
Do you think the question is asking us to describe one particular event ("i'll never forget that one patient encounter"), or rather an entire activity ("i'll never forget my time spent working at XYZ clinical job")?

For the following prompt: "What is your most meaningful clinical experience to date",
Do you think the question is asking us to describe one particular event ("i'll never forget that one patient encounter"), or rather an entire activity ("i'll never forget my time spent working at XYZ clinical job")?
Entire activity. If it were asking for a particular interaction, it would have said "...patient experience to date."

I am also on re-review hold. No email for update. Just logged in to see it.
I bet they're yield protecting you for being too smart!
Checked again and got this "Your file is under review. "

+3 also confused, I spent like an hour reading their website and being like "okay...????"
like,,, what if we're not that interested in it LOL

+2 and 350 characters. Wild

Yeah pretty much...I know someone who just finished M1 at GW and she said that they added a big public health component to their curriculum last year and even some policy makers had come into one of their required public health classes. So I think they’re really emphasizing public health now.

TFW your entire "Why this school?" answer was about the integration of public health into the curriculum, and now they made that a whole separate question RIP

@PapaGuava