Jul 2, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Interviewing here in 2 weeks but had a question for any current students/earlier interviewees, because it is closed file do they ask for your resume? Trying to decide whether it is worth it to revamp it even more or leave as is if they are not asked for.
I was not asked for a resume, nor do I think any of the other people in my group were.

Reactions: invisible-light
May 3, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I was not asked for a resume, nor do I think any of the other people in my group were.
+1. I don’t know of any medical school that will ask for your resume. Closed file interviews are just one piece of the puzzle; there will be adcom members who are familiar with your file who will advocate for you during their meetings in addition to those who interviewed you.

Reactions: JSD2
May 3, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Just interviewed. Absolutly love this school. Extremly chill interview and everyone was extremly nice. I love the D.C. area too.
D.C. area really appeals to me, too. Feels like a great place to live for a few years if you're in your early-mid twenties. Expensive, but anyone that has lived near a major urban center should already be used to it lol.

Nov 22, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Just finished up my interview day. It was a great experience! The entire atmosphere at GW is relaxed and they make a concerted effort to fight the inevitable stress of medical training. The interviews were particularly chill, and they made it very clear that they were just trying to get to know us. Definitely don't stress about them! I think they match you up with faculty and student interviewers that you have things in common with, cause my interviewers had so many similarities that it seemed to be more than coincidence. All around great experience!

The proximity to the university hospital is phenomenal, it's literally like 30 yards away. D.C. seems like a great city, as far as large cities go. Much cleaner than similar cities I've been to. I'd be stoked to live here.

Like mentioned above, I would have liked a more in-depth tour of the campus, it was a little brief. I was out of there by 1:15PM despite the email saying it would go until 3. I'm not complaining about getting out early, but I'd have loved to see more. I hope I get in!!

Apr 28, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
D.C. area really appeals to me, too. Feels like a great place to live for a few years if you're in your early-mid twenties. Expensive, but anyone that has lived near a major urban center should already be used to it lol.
As someone currently living in the heart of DC, I can confidently say it's an outstanding place to be for 25+ year olds. Extremely young population, lots to do, and a diverse (but rather average) culinary scene

May 3, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
As someone currently living in the heart of DC, I can confidently say it's an outstanding place to be for 25+ year olds. Extremely young population, lots to do, and a diverse (but rather average) culinary scene
This is what stood out to me. The bar scene is phenomenal, tons of cultural and entertainment possibilities, and a boatload of young professionals. The more I think about it, the giddier I get. The school is wonderful, of course, but the prospect of living in D.C. probably pushes GW to the top of my list. I would be incredibly honored and happy to be a student there.

Sep 16, 2018
Status
Medical Student
Hold is the same as Waitlist.
A hold is actually different than being waitlisted. As people have said before, a "hold" basically just means they've looked over your application but didn't decide if they want to give you an interview or not yet, so they are going to look at other applicants and then get back to you. It's definitely not a rejection, so don't give up! Several of my friends who are now MS1s didn't get interviews until Spring. I believe that re-review can come after a hold when they are actively looking back over your application.

In terms of waitlisting, GW uses the "alternate pool" system. It's essentially a waitlist, but it isn't ranked. Post-interview you can either be accepted, rejected, or placed in the alternate pool. The alternate pool isn't a bad place to be and a fair portion of the class ends up coming from the alternate pool.

ayjaystudent

2+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
A hold is actually different than being waitlisted. As people have said before, a "hold" basically just means they've looked over your application but didn't decide if they want to give you an interview or not yet, so they are going to look at other applicants and then get back to you. It's definitely not a rejection, so don't give up! Several of my friends who are now MS1s didn't get interviews until Spring. I believe that re-review can come after a hold when they are actively looking back over your application.

In terms of waitlisting, GW uses the "alternate pool" system. It's essentially a waitlist, but it isn't ranked. Post-interview you can either be accepted, rejected, or placed in the alternate pool. The alternate pool isn't a bad place to be and a fair portion of the class ends up coming from the alternate pool.
Which one has higher priority: On Hold or Waitlist?

Aug 22, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Did you check when your status changed to file under review?
Where can you see that? All I see is my current status. Friday I was still just complete.

Jan 8, 2018
May 3, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
II today for interview in November, complete 7/25; this is my first interview and second year applying to MD programs, very excited!!
LizzyM: 70, WARS: 69, I’m finishing up an MPH at a top school
Congrats! Enjoy D.C. and don't stress for the interview, Very low-key and easygoing day :)

Nov 22, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
You might be best off holding that information until after the interview, and adding it to your portal as a post-II update so they have that to consider as "new info still grinding and getting paper" before they make a decision on your entry
Another question on this note. I interviewed on Friday and now get to wait the 4-8 weeks to hear a decision. Does anyone have any input on when to send the post-II update? I think it's a fairly valuable update and the interview went very well IMO, so I really want to try to "drive it home." Is there a good strategy as to when to send the post-II update?

May 3, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Another question on this note. I interviewed on Friday and now get to wait the 4-8 weeks to hear a decision. Does anyone have any input on when to send the post-II update? I think it's a fairly valuable update and the interview went very well IMO, so I really want to try to "drive it home." Is there a good strategy as to when to send the post-II update?
I’ve seen conflicting information regarding update timing. Ultimately, I just said “screw it,” and sent my update today lol.

Then again, my update revolved around a newly accepted/published publication, which the consensus seems to think warrants an immediate update. I think it depends on the type of update and how valuable you think it really is. At the end of the day, I personally don’t think it’s going to matter much if you send it today or after October 15th.

Aug 28, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I just checked my portal and it says "your file is now complete. At this point we received all the necessary credentials..." underneath my application status. I was complete on 7/25 but a lot of people on this thread who were complete after me said that they were either notified that they got an interview or they were on hold. My question is that is this message under my application status considered a hold or not. And if it's not a hold, should I be concerned that it's been almost two months since I was complete and I haven't had any change in my status?

Aug 6, 2019
I just checked my portal and it says "your file is now complete. At this point we received all the necessary credentials..." underneath my application status. I was complete on 7/25 but a lot of people on this thread who were complete after me said that they were either notified that they got an interview or they were on hold. My question is that is this message under my application status considered a hold or not. And if it's not a hold, should I be concerned that it's been almost two months since I was complete and I haven't had any change in my status?
Nope, not a hold. I believe the hold status would clearly state you were put on hold as no decision was made to date.

I was complete on the same day as you and was put on hold at the end of last week so don’t worry! I don’t think they review chronologically anyways.

Jul 5, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Nope, not a hold. I believe the hold status would clearly state you were put on hold as no decision was made to date.

I was complete on the same day as you and was put on hold at the end of last week so don’t worry! I don’t think they review chronologically anyways.
Do you know roughly how many days you had the “your file is under review” status before you were put on hold?

limeyguydr

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
May 16, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
May 3, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Interviewing on 10/1!

For those of you who have interviewed already, how many ethical issues/scenario based questions were asked?
Both interviews were blinded, so both of my interviewers really just made an effort to get to know me as a person. We went pretty in-depth about my experiences and why I chose GW. This isn’t an MMI lol. Just traditional, blinded interviews. There were no tricky questions for me at all.

My faculty interviewer was freaking amazing. We went into a little bit about the profession of a physician in general, but I never once felt stressed or anxious. He just genuinely wanted to know about my motivations when it came to pursuing medicine and whether or not I knew what I was getting myself into. I really appreciated how open and honest he was about the profession itself, and we talked quite a bit about the benefits and pitfalls. It was super conversational throughout, and I’m really (wishfully) hoping he’s my faculty mentor if I’m fortunate enough to be accepted here!

Not sure how much I can say (didn’t sign anything, but you never know), but seriously: Don’t stress. It’s blinded, so while they might ask you some more generic questions, the impetus is really on you to guide the conversation. Just know your app (so you can talk about stuff you want to talk about) and be able to enunciate why the heck you’re doing this whole thing in the first place!

skrrss

2+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Both interviews were blinded, so both of my interviewers really just made an effort to get to know me as a person. We went pretty in-depth about my experiences and why I chose GW. This isn’t an MMI lol. Just traditional, blinded interviews. There were no tricky questions for me at all.

My faculty interviewer was freaking amazing. We went into a little bit about the profession of a physician in general, but I never once felt stressed or anxious. He just genuinely wanted to know about my motivations when it came to pursuing medicine and whether or not I knew what I was getting myself into. I really appreciated how open and honest he was about the profession itself, and we talked quite a bit about the benefits and pitfalls. It was super conversational throughout, and I’m really (wishfully) hoping he’s my faculty mentor if I’m fortunate enough to be accepted here!

Not sure how much I can say (didn’t sign anything, but you never know), but seriously: Don’t stress. It’s blinded, so while they might ask you some more generic questions, the impetus is really on you to guide the conversation. Just know your app (so you can talk about stuff you want to talk about) and be able to enunciate why the heck you’re doing this whole thing in the first place!
Thats so great to hear, thank you!! Good luck :))

Reactions: SeaHusky