2019-2020 George Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
do you know when the committee meets to review students on the alternate list?
No idea but I would guess after March 20th since thats the deadline to send the LOI to stay on the waitlist

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
No idea but I would guess after March 20th since thats the deadline to send the LOI to stay on the waitlist
Wait, there’s a deadline to send an LOI if we’re waitlisted? Did I miss an email somewhere?

Their FAQ said they’d send additional information about the alternate list beginning in January, but I never received an email...

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait, there’s a deadline to send an LOI if we’re waitlisted? Did I miss an email somewhere?

Their FAQ said they’d send additional information about the alternate list beginning in January, but I never received an email...
Yes, they sent out an email to people on the waitlist last week asking us to confirm that we wish to remain on the alternate list. They asked us to send some info on the portal (name, number, address, email, statement of interest) by March 20. Maybe they’re not done sending that email out! I’m sure they’re gonna send it to everyone on the waitlist so I wouldn’t worry

For those who interviewed, what type of questions were asked? I’ve heard that it’s usually conversational, but was there anything unexpected?

They dont know anything about you so the conversation is v moldable into whatever you want. One of my interviewers did have a vague list of questions (typical expected questions like why gw, why medicine, etc) and the other interviewer and I literally just had a random conversation about politics 70% of the time.

For those who haven’t received an email re. alternate list interest, email the admissions office! Apparently I just never received the email, and they quickly sent me the required information.

Also, for those who have already submitted the “Statement of Interest,” does this qualify as our official Letter of Intent? Or is it just supposed to be a short statement reaffirming our desire to remain on the alternate list? Thanks! :)

For those who haven’t received an email re. alternate list interest, email the admissions office! Apparently I just never received the email, and they quickly sent me the required information.

Also, for those who have already submitted the “Statement of Interest,” does this qualify as our official Letter of Intent? Or is it just supposed to be a short statement reaffirming our desire to remain on the alternate list? Thanks! :)

Not entirely sure but I think it can be either depending on how you word it! I didn’t want mine to be a letter of intent, so I just repeated that I was interested and would be thrilled to be accepted. If you DO want this to be a letter of intent, and you are absolutely sure you’d attend GW, I’d just write it as one (“if accepted to this school, I WILL attend”)

Reactions: 2 users
Not entirely sure but I think it can be either depending on how you word it! I didn’t want mine to be a letter of intent, so I just repeated that I was interested and would be thrilled to be accepted. If you DO want this to be a letter of intent, and you are absolutely sure you’d attend GW, I’d just write it as one (“if accepted to this school, I WILL attend”)
Awesome, thanks for the insight! Quick question: Did you submit a PDF, or did you just write the requested info in the text box before submitting?

Awesome, thanks for the insight! Quick question: Did you submit a PDF, or did you just write the requested info in the text box before submitting?
I wrote requested info (name etc) in the text box and then I wrote “statement of interest attached” but i’m sure doing it as text is fine too!

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
Alternate List today interviewed 12/17, I am really bummed. The chances seem slim with how many people they interview.

Hi all! Financial aid question: all my parents live/work outside of the US and never filed taxes in the US. I got financial information from my mom and stepfather. However, my dad is not being cooperative. He gave me some financial information, but I don't know if I can trust it. I am leaning towards getting an appeal for him. My questions are:

1- Will the school ask for additional documents., such as bank statements, etc.?
2- What would an appeal look like? My dad does not speak English. I also don't know who to have as a 3rd party to witness my severed relationship with him.

If any current medical students with parents who are internationals can help me figure this out I will be grateful!

Hi all! Financial aid question: all my parents live/work outside of the US and never filed taxes in the US. I got financial information from my mom and stepfather. However, my dad is not being cooperative. He gave me some financial information, but I don't know if I can trust it. I am leaning towards getting an appeal for him. My questions are:

1- Will the school ask for additional documents., such as bank statements, etc.?
2- What would an appeal look like? My dad does not speak English. I also don't know who to have as a 3rd party to witness my severed relationship with him.

If any current medical students with parents who are internationals can help me figure this out I will be grateful!
I would recommend calling the financial aid office. They are really nice and will probably be able to give you the best guidance since you seem to have a bit of a complicated situation. You should be able to find their contact info online. Good luck with figuring it all out!

Hi, I have the same problem. My dad lives in Brazil and I live in the US with my mom and my stepfather. I used a document from my dad's job and translated it into English myself and sent both the original and the translated to them. You could also email them and ask for help. I do know that there is an appeal process, but it seems to be quite complicated.

Does anybody know where GW does clinical rotations during M3 and M4? I assume it's primarily the GW hospital but I thought I heard something about some rotations at different places.

Does anybody know where GW does clinical rotations during M3 and M4? I assume it's primarily the GW hospital but I thought I heard something about some rotations at different places.

They have a bunch of facilities in the DC area they work with

Multiple clinics and hospitals around the DMV area depending on rotation. Baltimore, Annapolis, all over DC, Virginia.

Does anyone have a sense of how often the admission committee meets and who sits on it?

Does anyone have a sense of how often the admission committee meets and who sits on it?
I have no idea how often it meets, though if you’re curious about who might be on the committee, look up GWU SOM Standing committees. The first one on the page is the admissions committee.

anyone still sitting in complete silence since submitting their secondary? have they sent pre II R's yet?

Reactions: 6 users
I interviewed on 2/18, and I was just wondering when people generally started hearing back after their interview?

If I applied here and am waiting to hear back after my interview, should I still fill out the scholarship applications if the priority deadline is March 1? Or should I wait until I hear back?

If I applied here and am waiting to hear back after my interview, should I still fill out the scholarship applications if the priority deadline is March 1? Or should I wait until I hear back?
Wondering too but don't think we can because a GW id is needed

Last edited:
Interviewed on 2/25, is it too late to send a thank you letter?
No, thank you letters are sent out of good practice and will have little to no effect on the outcome of your decision.