2019-2020 George Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you guys getting emails? Still no news from my January interview

Members don't see this ad.

Nevermind got alternate pool, going to withdraw best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Curious if anyone has any idea how many students have been accepted off the alternate list in previous years... Thanks in advance!

Reactions: 3 users
After you submit your update, do you just get an automated email that it has been added to your application?

any As go out? or did they have to give out all As before march 15th to fill class size? I heard something strange about that on another thread

alternate list, also interviewed in feb

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who are on the alternate list - what did you write for your statement of interest? Did you just provide the information and state that you continue to have interest in the school or did you add more?

For those who are on the alternate list - what did you write for your statement of interest? Did you just provide the information and state that you continue to have interest in the school or did you add more?
I wrote an update about what I’d been doing and then wrote why I was interested in their school.

Did any alternates submit their institutional need-based scholarship information to the school even though they haven't been accepted? The priority deadline was March 1, and I never did it because I didn't have an acceptance. Wondering if I am at a disadvantage now.

Did any alternates submit their institutional need-based scholarship information to the school even though they haven't been accepted? The priority deadline was March 1, and I never did it because I didn't have an acceptance. Wondering if I am at a disadvantage now.
They specifically said DON’T submit those forms unless you’re accepted, and that there is still a chance for merit/institutional aid for people accepted off alternate list. Do submit your FAFSA though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone else get their financial aid package back? I was checking my portal yesterday and saw that it was already posted there. I didn’t get an email or anything.

I was wondering how people felt about their aid. I got much lower aid than I was expecting. At that state I would graduate with about $240,000 debt...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did anyone else get their financial aid package back? I was checking my portal yesterday and saw that it was already posted there. I didn’t get an email or anything.

I was wondering how people felt about their aid. I got much lower aid than I was expecting. At that state I would graduate with about $240,000 debt...

Me too! I felt disappointed, but I'm not too worried. It is what it is.

Yeah, they literally didn't give me anything, just federal loans

• Sad
Yeah, they literally didn't give me anything, just federal loans

Me too. I would have to take >80k per year in loans. That is outrageous -- I will be withdrawing.

Last edited:
Isn’t that normal price for private schools?

It is, but 80K per year is a lot of money and not everyone can afford to take that much out on loans, so some of us wish that we could at least get a little bit of FA.

It is, but 80K per year is a lot of money and not everyone can afford to take that much out on loans, so some of us wish that we could at least get a little bit of FA.

I mean, I wish I could get FA but I probably won’t. And I’m definitely not going to let that be what stops me from becoming a doctor

I mean, I wish I could get FA but I probably won’t. And I’m definitely not going to let that be what stops me from becoming a doctor

100% feel you and agreed. Not going to let money get in the way but also probably going to go the school that gives me the most aid/is cheapest haha

Did anyone here apply to the HCOP scholarship? If so, did anyone hear back?

Isn’t that normal price for private schools?
Normal price but it still hurts my soul a little bit, lol. At the end of the day barring unforeseen circumstances we'll be physicians making a physician's salary (hell even a resident's income puts you in the top 20% of wage earners in the United States [second link]). Now obviously other things can complicate our ability to pay off student loans (children, pre-existing debts and new other debts taken on during training, medical expenses, etc.), but overall large student loan debts for physicians are not the death sentence they can be for other career paths. Still sucks though.

Hi folks. How do withdraw our offer at GW? Do we just email the admissions committee? Or can we do it through the portal?

Last edited:
Anyone in touch with admissions directly? Just curious if anyone knew how COVID-19 will be affecting the process (not that any of us really know this answer). Hope everyone is staying safe!

Anyone know roughly how many people get off WL from here?

Reactions: 3 users
I just withdrew my application from GW... It was a really difficult decision. GW was my first interview and my first acceptance, but I decided to go to my state school. I hope It goes to one of you here!

Reactions: 14 users
Anyone know roughly how many people get off WL from here?
I don’t have any specifics but I’ve heard there is normally pretty good movement from their waitlists.

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone with MSAR know how many people are on the waitlist/how many people usually get off (not sure if it says on there). TIA!

Was there an additional alternate webinar? Besides the dates offered in February and March?

Anyone with MSAR know how many people are on the waitlist/how many people usually get off (not sure if it says on there). TIA!
I looked in MSAR and they do not provide any numbers-- they just say it is "variable"

There is no waitlist data listed for GW. Wake Forest gives out about 100 acceptances off the waitlist to fill 25-35% of its class. GW interviews upwards of 500 more students than comparable schools.

Reactions: 2 users
Will waitlist movement be pushed back a bit because of the whole covid-19 situation. I'm assuming the committee is now doing virtual meetings instead?

Will waitlist movement be pushed back a bit because of the whole covid-19 situation. I'm assuming the committee is now doing virtual meetings instead?

It probably is virtual but I dont think it will cause a huge delay in movement since its been about a month of covid stuff everyones used to it at this point. im sure they have already figured out a good system to make this work.

Just withdrew my acceptance to GW. One of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make. They were my first interview and second acceptance (literally just days after my first one). But, decided on state school due to expense and a couple other factors. Hope my spot goes to one of you all!

Reactions: 15 users
Just withdrew my acceptance to GW. One of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make. They were my first interview and second acceptance (literally just days after my first one). But, decided on state school due to expense and a couple other factors. Hope my spot goes to one of you all!

+1. Good luck to those on the waitlist!!

Reactions: 10 users
Are there any more info sessions on the alternate list? I never got any information emailed about these after receiving the alternate list email and am wondering if I missed something.

Are there any more info sessions on the alternate list? I never got any information emailed about these after receiving the alternate list email and am wondering if I missed something.

I haven’t heard anything since the initial email either