2019-2020 Seton Hall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Hackensack-Meridian School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Any secondaries yet. Have not received any.

Reactions: 1 users
Any secondaries yet. Have not received any.

Last year they got sent out around mid-August, so it might be a while till we see them. I'm guessing they might be short-staffed on the administrative end just due to being a new school and all. I'd love to be proved wrong though haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
None yet. Just thought I’d add to the updates lol.

Reactions: 1 user
is anybody else having trouble with the letter of recommendation requirements? I believe you have to have a letter from an MD

is anybody else having trouble with the letter of recommendation requirements? I believe you have to have a letter from an MD
Doesn't have to be an MD! But it is a strange requirement. Here is what the website says, "At least one from a health care professional (does not need to be a physician - can be a nurse, social worker, physician’s assistant, occupational therapist, psychologist, etc.). "

Hoping the prompts are the same as last year but at the same time, they seem really redundant so low-key hoping they change them haha.

all 500 words
  1. Why are you interested in attending the Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine at Seton Hall University?
  2. State a professional goal/s that you wish to accomplish by pursuing a medical degree.
  3. Explain what qualities of excellence, knowledge, and/or skills you would contribute to the medical school experience.
  4. Please share personal experiences that have motivated your decision to enter health care, as well as short- and long-term goals.
  5. Describe your experience with the field of medicine (or a related field) that has prepared you for advanced study in this area. Specifically, how have your life experiences prepared you to pursue a degree in medicine, including: coursework experiences, clinical work, experiences in overcoming adversity, work experiences, volunteer activities, and/or research experiences?

if anyone is pre-writing these... let me know how you think #4 and #5 are different??

Hoping the prompts are the same as last year but at the same time, they seem really redundant so low-key hoping they change them haha.

all 500 words
  1. Why are you interested in attending the Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine at Seton Hall University?
  2. State a professional goal/s that you wish to accomplish by pursuing a medical degree.
  3. Explain what qualities of excellence, knowledge, and/or skills you would contribute to the medical school experience.
  4. Please share personal experiences that have motivated your decision to enter health care, as well as short- and long-term goals.
  5. Describe your experience with the field of medicine (or a related field) that has prepared you for advanced study in this area. Specifically, how have your life experiences prepared you to pursue a degree in medicine, including: coursework experiences, clinical work, experiences in overcoming adversity, work experiences, volunteer activities, and/or research experiences?

if anyone is pre-writing these... let me know how you think #4 and #5 are different??
I didn't prewrite any because they seemed to change quite a bit from year to year, so I have a lot of writing to do either way. But hoping they do change because I'm not feeling particularly inspired by these prompts.

Just received this email:

“Thank you for your interest in Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine at Seton Hall. We have received your verified AMCAS application, at this time there is nothing for you to do. In mid-August you will be invited to complete a secondary application. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact the Office of Admissions.”

Reactions: 3 users

“Thank you for your interest in Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine at Seton Hall. We have received your verified AMCAS application, at this time there is nothing for you to do. In mid-August you will be invited to complete a secondary application. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact the Office of Admissions.”
I got the same one!

+1

Members don't see this ad :)
Psh that's too late. I am not doing any secondaries mid-August. Good luck all!

Reactions: 1 users
"at this time there is nothing for you to do"

Seton Hall assuming we are all sitting on our couches watching Netflix lol

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
I will be if I don't get any IIs lol

Not because I shouldn't, but because I already know I will have no money. All the other schools already took it all

• Haha
There's a reason I said "all of us", you deserve a break after submitting 36 secondaries! :)
Same email^^^ was hoping to get all the secondaries done before my vacation in August...catch me writing these damn essays on the plane

Same email^^^ was hoping to get all the secondaries done before my vacation in August...catch me writing these damn essays on the plane
Lol that was me writing secondaries in my AirBNB at night. Just got back from 3 week vacation.

I want to add this school to my list but I know their mission it pretty much centered around serving underserved populations. Do y'all think I'm throwing money away if I apply with only 315 hours of volunteering with only ~70 being non-clinical?

I want to add this school to my list but I know their mission it pretty much centered around serving underserved populations. Do y'all think I'm throwing money away if I apply with only 315 hours of volunteering with only ~70 being non-clinical?

I don't think I would do it. From what I have read online, this school is like pretty big on non-clinical worked with undeserved like you said. BUT if money and time are resources you can expend then shoot your shot 2019! lol

I don't think I would do it. From what I have read online, this school is like pretty big on non-clinical worked with undeserved like you said. BUT if money and time are resources you can expend then shoot your shot 2019! lol

Lol okay thanks for the honest answer!

Just throw in the app. Shoot your shot man.

Lol I might, just trying to decide if it's worth my time and money, if they have one of the $125 dollar secondaries...

I'm still trying to finish like 15 more MD secondaries anyways so I definitely am not in need of something to do.

Lol I might, just trying to decide if it's worth my time and money, if they have one of the $125 dollar secondaries...

I'm still trying to finish like 15 more MD secondaries anyways so I definitely am not in need of something to do.
I think theirs is $80

Dont take this the wrong way. With your LizzyM You might as well apply broadly to MD programs.

Up to you mate, good luck in the cycle.

Dont take this the wrong way. With your LizzyM You might as well apply broadly to MD programs.

Up to you mate, good luck in the cycle.

Lol that's exactly my reason for considering, but I'm already at 27 schools so I don't know when to stop. I might add 3 more and then be done for good haha

Do you guys think there is any chance with an LM of 63, IS, a lot of clinical experience/volunteer and a masters degree?

Do you guys think there is any chance with an LM of 63, IS, a lot of clinical experience/volunteer and a masters degree?
If you meet their 10th percentile for MCAT/GPA I say shoot your shot!

Yes. Several of my classmates have under 510 meats/3.7 gpa. I think the other parts of your app can help you stand out especially that masters degree. At the end of the day, you might as well shoot your shot if you’ve got the money

• Haha
Yes. Several of my classmates have under 510 meats/3.7 gpa. I think the other parts of your app can help you stand out especially that masters degree. At the end of the day, you might as well shoot your shot if you’ve got the money

Under 510 meats gave me a good giggle i wont lie

Reactions: 3 users
Should I apply even though I dont have a health professional letter of recommendation? This is one of my in state schools.

Should I apply even though I dont have a health professional letter of recommendation? This is one of my in state schools.
Email them and ask about it. They told me I should be fine for my specific case

On MSAR, Seton Hall lists their "Estimated number of new entrants" as 114, but their class size is 60. Did they increase their intended class size this year?

they said it would not be released until mid-august in the email I received, so it should be sometime soon
Yep, just wondering if anyone had gotten anything. About that though, it does seem strange that they would put it off for so long.

On MSAR, Seton Hall lists their "Estimated number of new entrants" as 114, but their class size is 60. Did they increase their intended class size this year?

Inaugural Class was 60, 2019 entering class was 95ish. They’re growing the class size a little bit each year.

Reactions: 2 users
I have a letter of rec from an MD who taught a post-bacc class I took. But it has nothing to do with my clinical experience. Would that fulfill their LOR requirement?