2019-2020 Hawaii (Burns)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Hawaii

Members don't see this ad.

Received their 2˚ fee email! JABSOM is a bit different as they require you to pay the fee before emailing you their 2˚ application.

Received their 2˚ fee email! JABSOM is a bit different as they require you to pay the fee before emailing you their 2˚ application.

Same here, it's weird how they make you pay before getting the secondary

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have the prompts?

I immediately paid the fee but you don't receive the 2˚ right away. Their fee email said "We will notify you when we’ve received your credit card payment, followed by a link to the JABSOM secondary application. You will have 2 weeks to complete the secondary application."

We probably won't receive it until at least Monday but I'll post the prompts when it comes.

@PapaGuava Secondary Prompts: 600 words

1. How will becoming a John A. Burns School of Medicine (JABSOM) educated physician allow you to achieve your long term goals?
  2. Describe a personal experience that demonstrated your resilience.
  3. Describe any personal connection to JABSOM and/or Hawaii and the Pacific that you may have.
  4. (OPTIONAL) If you are a re-applicant to JABSOM, please complete the following additional essay. Describe what efforts you have made to further improve your application to the MD Program.
It also requires you to list the Letters of Recommendations (Name, Title, and Organization for the letter writer) that you're sending to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Anyone have any idea of how to answer question 3 if I'm not from Hawaii or never visit Hawaii before?

Anyone have any idea of how to answer question 3 if I'm not from Hawaii or never visit Hawaii before?

Maybe explain that you don't have those connections but do have a passion for the people that you'd be serving (if it's true, of course).

Hawaii has a major shortage of doctors and therefore, a huge medically underserved population with socioeconomic barriers. JABSOM is super into admitting students who will stay in Hawaii after medical school.

@PapaGuava Secondary Prompts: 600 words

1. How will becoming a John A. Burns School of Medicine (JABSOM) educated physician allow you to achieve your long term goals?
  2. Describe a personal experience that demonstrated your resilience.
  3. Describe any personal connection to JABSOM and/or Hawaii and the Pacific that you may have.
  4. (OPTIONAL) If you are a re-applicant to JABSOM, please complete the following additional essay. Describe what efforts you have made to further improve your application to the MD Program.
It also requires you to list the Letters of Recommendations (Name, Title, and Organization for the letter writer) that you're sending to them.
Thanks! 600 words for each question?

Is it even worth applying here if you have no ties to hawaii or are not pacific islander? I'm about to pay the 150 but dont wanna waste my money if I'm not even going to receive a secondary. I am interested in community health in disadvantaged groups and have the ECs to back it up but all with black or hispanic populations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it even worth applying here if you have no ties to hawaii or are not pacific islander? I'm about to pay the 150 but dont wanna waste my money if I'm not even going to receive a secondary. I am interested in community health in disadvantaged groups and have the ECs to back it up but all with black or hispanic populations.
I’m pretty sure if you pay the $150, that means you’ll receive the secondary app.
However, like mentioned above, I know they really want people who will want to stay in Hawaii to practice. And they try very hard to eliminate people who won’t. So if you’re interested in community health in Hawaii’s disadvantaged population, I’d say it’s worth a try, but that’s just my opinion :)

I’m pretty sure if you pay the $150, that means you’ll receive the secondary app.
However, like mentioned above, I know they really want people who will want to stay in Hawaii to practice. And they try very hard to eliminate people who won’t. So if you’re interested in community health in Hawaii’s disadvantaged population, I’d say it’s worth a try, but that’s just my opinion :)
I actually have a friend who paid the 150 but was rejected pre-secondary. Had a LM around 75 too. He's going to a T10 now lol. Maybe they were yield protecting?

But I mean, I definitely am interested in working in Hawaii. Just don't know how compelling of a case I could make with my background but I guess it's worth a shot. But that really makes me think less of the school for being willing to reject pre-secondary but post-secondary fee. And with literally the highest secondary fee...

I actually have a friend who paid the 150 but was rejected pre-secondary. Had a LM around 75 too. He's going to a T10 now lol. Maybe they were yield protecting?

But I mean, I definitely am interested in working in Hawaii. Just don't know how compelling of a case I could make with my background but I guess it's worth a shot. But that really makes me think less of the school for being willing to reject pre-secondary but post-secondary fee. And with literally the highest secondary fee...
That's absolutely ridiculous. I've never heard of that but I only mostly know IS applicants. Now that I re-read their first fee email, it says all applicants must pay the $150. That definitely makes the choice harder but I would just really think about the chances of you wanting to stay in Hawaii forever, and if you genuinely do then it's worth trying and you could probably be compelling enough. Good luck!

Does Hawaii have a regional bias? Like students from the West Coast (Cali, Washington, etc.)?

Does Hawaii have a regional bias? Like students from the West Coast (Cali, Washington, etc.)?
This is what it says on MSAR. I don’t think they’re necessarily only looking at west coast but mostly want people with very strong ties to Hawaii.
8F02EBFE-4D1C-46E3-8E94-165A9DCCCF66.jpeg
8F02EBFE-4D1C-46E3-8E94-165A9DCCCF66.jpeg

Hey friends! Are we supposed to receive a "complete" email after we submit the secondary application form?

Hey friends! Are we supposed to receive a "complete" email after we submit the secondary application form?
Yes, I submitted my secondary on 7/16 and received a complete email 7/18.

I sent my 2 last week and just got an email saying that my application is being screened. Does anyone know how they screen post-secondary applicants?

How did you guys know that you passed the post-secondary screening? Did they send an email?

How did you guys know that you passed the post-secondary screening? Did they send an email?
I don't actually know, I haven't heard from them since the "Received Completed Secondary Application" email. I don't think they'll let you know if you specifically passed the post-secondary screening other than through an interview invite.

I'm just confused on whether any II have been sent out yet since TofuTony said "anyone else." Last year's thread didn't have anyone saying they received an II until a little later this month (I think September 17th).

I don't actually know, I haven't heard from them since the "Received Completed Secondary Application" email. I don't think they'll let you know if you specifically passed the post-secondary screening other than through an interview invite.

I'm just confused on whether any II have been sent out yet since TofuTony said "anyone else." Last year's thread didn't have anyone saying they received an II until a little later this month (I think September 17th).

In their “complete email” they said we would be notified our status of application within 2-4 weeks...it seems they will tell us if we passed the screening or not.

In their “complete email” they said we would be notified our status of application within 2-4 weeks...it seems they will tell us if we passed the screening or not.
They do mention that, but several of the previous years threads show that they don’t send anything before September regardless of when you submit your secondary (so after that 2-4 weeks).

I received my post-secondary screening results via email (my first R lol) and it was just an attachment letter. I think if you haven't received anything yet you're still in the running? Got that on 9/6, OOS, LM not great (pls don't ask for the sake of my mental health). Good luck everyone!

yes received email II earlier this week! hope you hear back soon too!
Congrats!! I'm glad they're starting a little earlier than last year! Do you mind sharing when you were complete? And any ties to the state?

Nope but my flagship EC was something very heavily aligned with Hawaiian issues
Just wondering, cause I got a rejection today. No ties to Hawaii but I grew up on an island sooo.... I dunno:( Anyways, congrats!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Hey guys! MS1 from JABSOM here (honestly still shook I’m here, lol)! I’ve gotten a couple of you message me personally, so If you guys have any questions at all about JABSOM or the interview process, just lmk! Love helping fellow/future students out, so feel free to reach out to me :)

I received an email on September 14th saying :
"Due to the high volume of applications received by JABSOM, we are experiencing a delay in reviewing secondary applications. We apologize for the delay and will notify you by email upon completion of the review process."

Did anyone else receive this as well? And if so, have you received any notices or anything from JABSOM since then?

I received an email on September 14th saying :
"Due to the high volume of applications received by JABSOM, we are experiencing a delay in reviewing secondary applications. We apologize for the delay and will notify you by email upon completion of the review process."

Did anyone else receive this as well? And if so, have you received any notices or anything from JABSOM since then?
Yes, I received that email too but haven’t hear anything since then.

II this morning!! (8:20 am Hawaii time)
IS Complete 7/18

Just got my first Post Secondary Rejection from JABSOM.

OOS / Moderate Ties / Was my first college and lived there four years.

• Sad
Anyone know if they’ve sent out ED decisions already? Wondering when the committee will start making final decisions for regular applicants

Anyone know if they’ve sent out ED decisions already? Wondering when the committee will start making final decisions for regular applicants
I'm pretty sure ED applicants had to be notified by October 1st, according to AAMC's traffic rules.

They don't make any decisions until like May. Its not rolling admissions. Unless your average application is scored above 9/10 I think.