2019-2020 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
pretty sure some SDners posted Idaho newspapers as evidence.

Interesting. I also saw someone post on here that they spoke with the IMA and that was not their position. Lots of hearsay seems to be the takeaway regarding these positions on ICOM.

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting. I also saw someone post on here that they spoke with the IMA and that was not their position. Lots of hearsay seems to be the takeaway regarding these positions on ICOM.

I'm with Goro on this one. I haven't sought out any publications and I don't know what IMA's official stance is on this school now that it's open, but there was a lot of distaste in the medical community when this school just popped up without even considering reaching out to them. It was a complete shock to many. Some people are supportive, sure, but this varies from physician to physician and practice to practice. Not sure what it means to you, but I have had more than one physician who I rotated with in the Treasure Valley tell me that ICOM asked them to precept and it was an absolute no (for a combination of reasons).

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
I'm with Goro on this one. I haven't sought out any publications and I don't know what IMA's official stance is on this school now that it's open, but there was a lot of distaste in the medical community when this school just popped up without even considering reaching out to them. It was a complete shock to many. Some people are supportive, sure, but this varies from physician to physician and practice to practice. Not sure what it means to you, but I have had more than one physician who I rotated with in the Treasure Valley tell me that ICOM asked them to precept and it was an absolute no (for a combination of reasons).

That is good to know, thank you for sharing!

Members don't see this ad :)
II yesterday!! Just out of curiosity, has this school filled its incoming class yet? I just want to know if I will be interviewing for a waitlist spot. Thanks!

Bumping this Q ... interviewing regardless, but will be disappointed to be added to yet another school’s waitlist.

So I received an II yesterday and have a week to send them my ranking of interview dates if I still want to interview. My question for anyone is this, would it even be worth spending the time and money to interview here when I already have an acceptance elsewhere, and am waitlisted (at my top choice) given the controversy with ICOM?

For those of you wondering if attending an interview day here is worth it, I say absolutely. I highly doubt they have filled their entire class at this point. It's also just worth it to see how beautiful the Boise/Meridian area is. Regarding the "controversy" with ICOM, these situations are common with new schools like this. They have some kinks to work out, but at the end of the day you will still be a doctor. If this is your only acceptance it would be silly of you not to attend here.

I will be interviewing soon and was wondering where those who have interviewed would recommend staying? (Boise or Meridian) Thank you!

Does anyone know if there was good Lyft availability? Or is it smarter to obtain a rental car? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Why would a state with zero medical schools need to get the blessing of hospitals to fill a need? How do we know if these local hospitals are just a good old boys network who don't appreciate local competition for the rotations? I find the arguments against a new school for the crime of not kissing the ring of local hospital administrators a bit dubious. What am I missing?

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why would a state with zero medical schools need to get the blessing of hospitals to fill a need? How do we know if these local hospitals are just a good old boys network who don't appreciate local competition for the rotations? I find the arguments against a new school for the crime of not kissing the ring of local hospital administrators a bit dubious. What am I missing?

First of all, this school isn't filling a need. The need is physicians in Idaho. These students by and large will not attend residencies in Idaho and by and large will not return to Idaho to practice. Also, not sure what you mean by hospitals not appreciating local competitions for their rotations. It's not a competition. They have the amount of positions they feel like they can handle. They have agreements with a school to take their students or they don't. As a UW student and I not competing with Utah students or ICOM students for rotation spots. They have their own rotations and my school has theirs. Even if they are shared, there is no competition. I know of one site specifically that takes 3 UW students every 6 weeks. They are not always full. If they aren't, they will now consider taking an ICOM student. It is not the other way around though, because UW created that rotation.

While the state has previously had no medical schools of their own, they have considered it, but the universities and medical community decided that they could not provide the quality of education that they wanted to with the current size of hospital systems and state population. They understand their need for physicians and medical education, but weren't willing to do anything less than great. So, take a guess on if this school will provide the quality of education that people within the state really wanted. Idaho also has a long and strong relationship with two well established and respected MD schools who have rotations in the state. Now take a guess on if these schools communicated with the medical community in Idaho. It's just respectful, especially if you want to utilize them for your school's education. The problem with not having the blessings of hospitals and angering even the physicians that don't work for hospital systems is that it becomes difficult to convince them that they should then turn around and educate your students. Hence why a majority of their students will not be rotating in the state.

First of all, this school isn't filling a need. The need is physicians in Idaho. These students by and large will not attend residencies in Idaho and by and large will not return to Idaho to practice. Also, not sure what you mean by hospitals not appreciating local competitions for their rotations. It's not a competition. They have the amount of positions they feel like they can handle. They have agreements with a school to take their students or they don't. As a UW student and I not competing with Utah students or ICOM students for rotation spots. They have their own rotations and my school has theirs. Even if they are shared, there is no competition. I know of one site specifically that takes 3 UW students every 6 weeks. They are not always full. If they aren't, they will now consider taking an ICOM student. It is not the other way around though, because UW created that rotation.

While the state has previously had no medical schools of their own, they have considered it, but the universities and medical community decided that they could not provide the quality of education that they wanted to with the current size of hospital systems and state population. They understand their need for physicians and medical education, but weren't willing to do anything less than great. So, take a guess on if this school will provide the quality of education that people within the state really wanted. Idaho also has a long and strong relationship with two well established and respected MD schools who have rotations in the state. Now take a guess on if these schools communicated with the medical community in Idaho. It's just respectful, especially if you want to utilize them for your school's education. The problem with not having the blessings of hospitals and angering even the physicians that don't work for hospital systems is that it becomes difficult to convince them that they should then turn around and educate your students. Hence why a majority of their students will not be rotating in the state.
I disagree with your premise that Idaho COM grads will not stay in Idaho. What I've observed is the feature of the school is they love Idaho and want to work there. Also, the competition evidently is fierce in that Washington students want to continue to be prioritized for Idaho slots. No doubt the school has some issues, as do all schools, but "stepping on toes" in a territory squabble should not be given much weight IMHO.

Reactions: 4 users
I disagree with your premise that Idaho COM grads will not stay in Idaho. What I've observed is the feature of the school is they love Idaho and want to work there. Also, the competition evidently is fierce in that Washington students want to continue to be prioritized for Idaho slots. No doubt the school has some issues, as do all schools, but "stepping on toes" in a territory squabble should not be given much weight IMHO.

Come back at me in ten years with numbers. For every 40 students that go through UW's Idaho WWAMI program, Idaho will gain 30 practicing physicians. That's fact. I'm telling you right now that 75% of ICOM students will not end up back in Idaho. I guarantee it. I'd be surprised if 30 per year do, but I'd love for ICOM to prove me wrong. The majority of physicians practice where they did residency, and as I said, a majority of ICOMs students will not be completing a residency in Idaho. For Christ sake, a majority of them won't even be completing rotations in Idaho.

It's not that Washington students WANT to be prioritized. They ARE. In my example above, UW created and owns the rotation. They are allowing ICOM students to rotate if they are not full. ICOM students will never be taking UW spots. I think this may be a misunderstanding of how a majority of MD vs DO rotations work. I am not familiar with DO rotations, but it sounds like DO students have to apply for or request rotations. That is not how MD rotations work, at least not UW or Utah. They have rotations and you will go there, period.

Come back at me in ten years with numbers. For every 40 students that go through UW's Idaho WWAMI program, Idaho will gain 30 practicing physicians. That's fact. I'm telling you right now that 75% of ICOM students will not end up back in Idaho. I guarantee it. I'd be surprised if 30 per year do, but I'd love for ICOM to prove me wrong. The majority of physicians practice where they did residency, and as I said, a majority of ICOMs students will not be completing a residency in Idaho. For Christ sake, a majority of them won't even be completing rotations in Idaho.

It's not that Washington students WANT to be prioritized. They ARE. In my example above, UW created and owns the rotation. They are allowing ICOM students to rotate if they are not full. ICOM students will never be taking UW spots. I think this may be a misunderstanding of how a majority of MD vs DO rotations work. I am not familiar with DO rotations, but it sounds like DO students have to apply for or request rotations. That is not how MD rotations work, at least not UW or Utah. They have rotations and you will go there, period.

Thats pretty bold to present a presumption at someone then tell them to come back with numbers. With that being said, I’d probably agree that the majority may not be practicing in Idaho at least for the first couple of classes while the kinks get worked out.

Thats pretty bold to present a presumption at someone then tell them to come back with numbers. With that being said, I’d probably agree that the majority may not be practicing in Idaho at least for the first couple of classes while the kinks get worked out.

So I'm bold, but you agree?

Are MDs prioritized over DO's? Yes. Are physicians who want to stay local to practice in Idaho prioritized even more so? Yes. You make an assumption that Idaho-COM students who love Idaho and want to practice in Idaho are a small percentage, but that assumption is baseless. You carry on about your privilege as a WA state MD student, which probably has some merit. In the final analysis, I believe those who wish to work as physicians in Idaho will prevail, which is why the school was founded.

Are MDs prioritized over DO's? Yes. Are physicians who want to stay local to practice in Idaho prioritized even more so? Yes. You make an assumption that Idaho-COM students who love Idaho and want to practice in Idaho are a small percentage, but that assumption is baseless. You carry on about your privilege as a WA state MD student, which probably has some merit. In the final analysis, I believe those who wish to work as physicians in Idaho will prevail, which is why the school was founded.

Dude, I was born and raised in Idaho. I'm an Idaho medical student. It's not MD privilege. It's the privilege of attending a school that actually worked with the entire state to create the best medical education they could. If ICOM had actually tried to do things right, maybe ICOM students would have the same exact rotations and opportunities as we do.

Dude, I was born and raised in Idaho. I'm an Idaho medical student. It's not MD privilege. It's the privilege of attending a school that actually worked with the entire state to create the best medical education they could. If ICOM had actually tried to do things right, maybe ICOM students would have the same exact rotations and opportunities as we do.
Uh-Huh. I find a privileged resentful attitude behind your half-baked arguments. Going back to the core of your arguments: 1) I-COM had the audacity to start a medical in a state that had none; 2) Washington already has Idaho's desirable rotations covered; 3) I-COM students are not welcomed by Idaho hospitals, Idaho physicians, Washington M.D. students, and really should question why they enrolled in Idaho-COM, which is located a state without a medical school. LOL!

Uh-Huh. I find a privileged resentful attitude behind your half-baked arguments. Going back to the core of your arguments: 1) I-COM had the audacity to start a medical in a state that had none; 2) Washington already has Idaho's desirable rotations covered; 3) I-COM students are not welcomed by Idaho hospitals, Idaho physicians, Washington M.D. students, and really should question why they enrolled in Idaho-COM, which is located a state without a medical school. LOL!

Maybe you're forgetting how this conversation started. Someone asked if they should go to consider attending this school. @Goro responded that they didn't recommend, because the school did not have a good relationship with the IMA and hospital systems, resulting in many rotation sites that are very far away from the campus and perhaps not of the greatest quality. I agreed and I told you why I agree. My arguments are that what @Goro said is true, based on my ACTUAL experience rotating through Treasure Valley hospitals and living in Boise my entire life, which is experience that you do not seem to have. ICOM stepped on toes and as a result does not have rotation sites where they want to. There is plenty of room for more ICOM rotation sites in the Treasure Valley. They don't have them not because UW or Utah has a monopoly, but because those people don't want to work with ICOM because they did step on toes. Whether you think it isn't fair, or childish, or whatever, that is what happened and so no, I would not say that ICOM clerkships are strong. If clerkship strength and staying in the Treasure Valley for all four years is important to you, I wouldn't recommend it because you are unlikely to get those things.

I have spoken to students at I-COM to confirm this malicious rumor and have been told this is 100% rubbish. With that said are the FIRST set of graduates to place rotations having to forge new territory in this community and others, of course.

I have spoken to students at I-COM to confirm this malicious rumor and have been told this is 100% rubbish. With that said are the FIRST set of graduates to place rotations having to forge new territory in this community and others, of course.

What malicious rumor? That the majority of their students don’t do their core rotations in the Treasure Valley? That’s true, and ICOM can verify it for you.

What malicious rumor? That the majority of their students don’t do their core rotations in the Treasure Valley? That’s true, and ICOM can verify it for you.

Dont think that was what they are referring to. At the interview I think they said about 30% of the M2s will do core rotations in Treasure Valley. This isn’t just an ICOM issue. Lots of DO schools have core rotations not where the school is.

Everyone on this thread needs to chill out. We've established that ICOM does not have all the privileges of an established MD school, but that does not mean that ICOM is a bad school.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Everyone on this thread needs to chill out. We've established that ICOM does not have all the privileges of an established MD school, but that does not mean that ICOM is a bad school.
Thank you ... this is a discussion easily finished in DMs. No longer relevant or helpful.

Anyway, thank you for your response regarding how full this coming class probably is. Looking forward to interviewing and seeing the beautiful area!

Reactions: 1 users
Any waitlist movement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can anyone who has interviewed recently offer any advice on what kind of questions to expect, how the interview day is like, etc. I'm from the east coast as well so it'll be a new experience. Thanks

Can anyone who has interviewed recently offer any advice on what kind of questions to expect, how the interview day is like, etc. I'm from the east coast as well so it'll be a new experience. Thanks

Standard interview Qs like tell me about yourself, why medicine, why DO, why ICOM. They’re all in the interview feedback

Current ICOM student here and ran across this today, so I thought I would throw this comment in the mix. Going to ICOM is the greatest and I am so glad that is what I chose to do. Honestly, haven't looked back since day 1 and I feel like I am getting a fantastic education at a school that cares deeply about preparing us as physicians. In regard to the comments about a sour community, I haven't heard this prior to this thread. I have talked to a lot of people in the community about ICOM and everyone is very excited about what it will bring to the table. About a third will be staying in the valley for rotations, and about half will stay in Idaho. One thing to remember is that our mission statement reflects that ICOM wants to help Idaho and the surrounding areas as this entire area of the country is underserved. This being said, they are still working diligently to create more opportunities in Idaho to rotate, but none of us are that bugged about it. We have a good relationship with most hospitals in the area and hopefully we will be able to rotate with more of them once we are able to show the quality of education that is coming out of ICOM (that seems to be the deciding factor at this point, as we just haven't proved ourselves in the early stages). All in all, come to ICOM. None of the students here regret their decision, so neither will you!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
So ... anyone else have their interview date canceled due to the corona virus?

So ... anyone else have their interview date canceled due to the corona virus?
The interview days are postponed and it looks like they will be transitioning to a skype/online format. Was really bummed canceling that flight to Boise, as I was looking forward to visiting the region. I have no idea how this will affect the admissions process going forward for not only ICOM, but all schools.

The Accepted Students Day has been postponed as well. So... was anyone going to attend? And if so, is your flight refundable?
I did not plan on going so I am fine, but I am just curious. Thanks for your responses.

The Accepted Students Day has been postponed as well. So... was anyone going to attend? And if so, is your flight refundable?
I did not plan on going so I am fine, but I am just curious. Thanks for your responses.
I had an upcoming interview and was able to get credit for a flight that is of equal or lesser value after canceling my flight. (United Airlines and booked March 4th)

Have been following this thread for a while now and figured that I would share my two cents and clear up some things about this school (even had to make an account to post this). 1) The newspaper articles that the other SDN poster quoted and that goro referred too are from 2016-2017 so 3 to 4 years ago, which are now extremely out of date. 2) Since that time ICOMs relationship with both the IMA and local hospitals (St. Lukes in particular) has excelled to the point that IMA is hosting events on ICOMs campus and that the CEO of St Lukes, who ran their hospital system for 10 plus years and recently retired is joining ICOMs board of directors in addition he spoke at the class of 2023s white coat ceremony. So I'm not sure where these rumors started that ICOM isn't well accepted in the community, but if you look at it in an unbiased way you can clearly see that the rumors are now unsubstantiated.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Have been following this thread for a while now and figured that I would share my two cents and clear up some things about this school (even had to make an account to post this). 1) The newspaper articles that the other SDN poster quoted and that goro referred too are from 2016-2017 so 3 to 4 years ago, which are now extremely out of date. 2) Since that time ICOMs relationship with both the IMA and local hospitals (St. Lukes in particular) has excelled to the point that IMA is hosting events on ICOMs campus and that the CEO of St Lukes, who ran their hospital system for 10 plus years and recently retired is joining ICOMs board of directors in addition he spoke at the class of 2023s white coat ceremony. So I'm not sure where these rumors started that ICOM isn't well accepted in the community, but if you look at it in an unbiased way you can clearly see that the rumors are now unsubstantiated.

1) You are correct, many articles about this school are from 2-3 years ago. That is why I did not claim to have a recent news article.

2) I know nothing personally about the current public relationship that ICOM has with the IMA, but I do know that there was previous distaste. As a current IMA member, I'm not wild about the school, but I hope that they improve and become a great place. Each individual member will have their own opinion. Also, being best buds with the former CEO of a hospital does not mean that the entire hospital loves you or that the physicians there want to educate you. Maybe some do, maybe some don't. Students that do rotations there will have to let us know how it is once they experience it.

3) If you read my post, you'll see that I have spoken with several physicians in the community during my rotations in the last year that specifically want nothing to do with ICOM. For reference, I have done 5 rotations in the Boise area in the last year, and 3 of those locations have refused ICOM students, and those physicians have all brought it up to me without my asking. That is where these "rumors" are coming from. I will keep saying it-this is what I know from growing up in the community and actually working in the medical arena for the past several years. If you want to dismiss that and instead take the school's word that everything is great, that's fine. But remember that most schools are not going to tell you they have problems-it tends to make them look bad.

End all be all is, if you want to go to this school, do it. That's your choice. Make an informed decision. Get some perspectives from all sides, think about it, and then do what you want. I'm not gonna cry if you go to this school, end up a great doctor, and practice in Idaho. That would be great. You can also do this by going to another school. Choose your own path.

1) You are correct, many articles about this school are from 2-3 years ago. That is why I did not claim to have a recent news article.

2) I know nothing personally about the current public relationship that ICOM has with the IMA, but I do know that there was previous distaste. As a current IMA member, I'm not wild about the school, but I hope that they improve and become a great place. Each individual member will have their own opinion. Also, being best buds with the former CEO of a hospital does not mean that the entire hospital loves you or that the physicians there want to educate you. Maybe some do, maybe some don't. Students that do rotations there will have to let us know how it is once they experience it.

3) If you read my post, you'll see that I have spoken with several physicians in the community during my rotations in the last year that specifically want nothing to do with ICOM. For reference, I have done 5 rotations in the Boise area in the last year, and 3 of those locations have refused ICOM students, and those physicians have all brought it up to me without my asking. That is where these "rumors" are coming from. I will keep saying it-this is what I know from growing up in the community and actually working in the medical arena for the past several years. If you want to dismiss that and instead take the school's word that everything is great, that's fine. But remember that most schools are not going to tell you they have problems-it tends to make them look bad.

End all be all is, if you want to go to this school, do it. That's your choice. Make an informed decision. Get some perspectives from all sides, think about it, and then do what you want. I'm not gonna cry if you go to this school, end up a great doctor, and practice in Idaho. That would be great. You can also do this by going to another school. Choose your own path.
Basis for your response: Item 1) outdated; Item 2) "I know nothing personally about current public relationship. . .", and 3) "I have spoken to several physicians. . .", which is an n=3 proposition--anecdotal at best. It seems like you have an axe to grind. . . .

Basis for your response: Item 1) outdated; Item 2) "I know nothing personally about current public relationship. . .", and 3) "I have spoken to several physicians. . .", which is an n=3 proposition--anecdotal at best. It seems like you have an axe to grind. . . .

And your evidence to the contrary is what? More anecdotes that just happen to oppose mine? And these are somehow better proof than my anecdotes how? I'm sick of repeating myself, but 'll do it one more time for you.

I am trying to find an apartment and roommate. Where do I start?

Thought I'd check in on this thread after a long hiatus. I'm glad to see @UWIdahoan sticking around to hopefully shed some light on any of you with multiple acceptances and have some better options.

Just butting in to say pretty much everything he's/she's been saying has been spot on. As a fellow "native" Idahoan who works in the local healthcare system and has family in the system, all of these points have been generally true. I'll admit that the physicians have stronger feelings on it than the nurses, administrators, and general members of the community.

As for the "ICOM will be helping the physician shortage in Idaho!" thing, there are literally not enough residency slots to account for WWAMI, UW, Utah, and OOS "native" Idaho MD students that will pick those up to share with ICOM. Statistically, doctors will most likely practice where they go to residency.

@applesauce1996 Where did you read Dr. Pate was pals with ICOM or that he was joining the Board of Directors? To my knowledge, he hasn't spoken at all publicly about the school and has gone fully into retirement. I'm going to need some sauce with that claim.

@aspiring 2B great doctor Wouldn't it be you with the acxe to grind? Clearly you have much more investment into this school than I or UWIdahoan have?

Honestly, dude. If this is your only choice, go ahead and go here, but if it were me, I'd do a hard pass and go somewhere that doesn't have to "work the kinks out".
Wow! Both Gem & UWIdahoan seem to be on the war path with a vendetta against ICOM. I am pretty sure we got your point several times now. Perhaps it's time to move along before some of us on this list file a complaint for aggravated redundancy, LOL!

Guys. This thread is for ICOM applicants. If someone has a specific question that you feel qualified to answer, go right ahead. However, if you're just coming here to talk crap about a school you don't go to then you need to take it into DMs. Y'all just keep saying the same things over and over and it's getting frustrating.

Reactions: 9 users
Anyone else who participated in the phone interviews? How do you think it went and since they don't get as much of time to get to meet you and observe you, how do you feel it is going to affect your chances?

Thought I'd check in on this thread after a long hiatus. I'm glad to see @UWIdahoan sticking around to hopefully shed some light on any of you with multiple acceptances and have some better options.

Just butting in to say pretty much everything he's/she's been saying has been spot on. As a fellow "native" Idahoan who works in the local healthcare system and has family in the system, all of these points have been generally true. I'll admit that the physicians have stronger feelings on it than the nurses, administrators, and general members of the community.

As for the "ICOM will be helping the physician shortage in Idaho!" thing, there are literally not enough residency slots to account for WWAMI, UW, Utah, and OOS "native" Idaho MD students that will pick those up to share with ICOM. Statistically, doctors will most likely practice where they go to residency.

@applesauce1996 Where did you read Dr. Pate was pals with ICOM or that he was joining the Board of Directors? To my knowledge, he hasn't spoken at all publicly about the school and has gone fully into retirement. I'm going to need some sauce with that claim.

@aspiring 2B great doctor Wouldn't it be you with the acxe to grind? Clearly you have much more investment into this school than I or UWIdahoan have?

Honestly, dude. If this is your only choice, go ahead and go here, but if it were me, I'd do a hard pass and go somewhere that doesn't have to "work the kinks out".

So you go to ICOM or UW?

Phone Interviewed offered rn, declined. There's still hope!

I declined ICOM's interview invite months ago. They just sent me another interview invite. Never had that happen before.

Anyone have an idea on what the waitlist movement will be like for this school, considering the traffic rules and pandemic hoopla? Apparently 77 were removed from the waitlist and accepted last year.