2019-2020 Jefferson (Kimmel)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was accepted today also!!! :love: I interviewed on 1/22

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I took notes on this during interview day, but I must have misplaced them. Does anyone know how much time is dedicated to Step 1 study at Jeff?

When were you complete?
Complete on 7/10/19. Also send an ITA email on 1/28/20. I was hoping to interview around the same time as one I have scheduled in Boston but unfortunately there's no date available during that week.

Does anyone know how the reimbursement works for second look? Do we need to provide them with copies of plane tickets or anything?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What weekend is second look?
April 16th and 17th. There will be an opening meeting and a social on Thursday at 3:30 to probably 6 or 7 and then on Friday from 8:30am-3:30pm there will be information meetings and such.

II on Friday :) (complete in July, big update sent on Wednesday for those wondering)

If anybody stayed with and had a good experience with any particular student host please PM me who :)

Reactions: 5 users
Received an II Friday and I'm SUPER excited!! Right now I am scheduled for March 4th, but the Feb 19th date that was available works a lot better with my work schedule. If anybody ends up rescheduling/withdrawing on that date, and wouldn't mind letting me know I would really appreciate it! Thank you so much!

Reactions: 5 users
Received an II Friday and I'm SUPER excited!! Right now I am scheduled for March 4th, but the Feb 19th date that was available works a lot better with my work schedule. If anybody ends up rescheduling/withdrawing on that date, and wouldn't mind letting me know I would really appreciate it! Thank you so much!
Also, would it be bad if I emailed to ask if they could let me know if a spot opened up? Thank you!

Also, would it be bad if I emailed to ask if they could let me know if a spot opened up? Thank you!
Call Luel and ask. He's SUPER nice and incredibly helpful (his contact info should be in your interview confirmation email)

Reactions: 3 users
Call Luel and ask. He's SUPER nice and incredibly helpful (his contact info should be in your interview confirmation email)
Agreed, he's fantastic. On the day I scheduled my interview he actually called me and told me he could schedule me for a date a month earlier

Reactions: 1 users
I have seen a sample schedule on the SKMC website on what an "average day" looks like, but I was wondering when these blocks are. If anyone if willing to share what their 1st year week looks like, please DM me! Thanks everyone!

Hi all - does any previous applicant/current student know how receptive Jeff is to letters of recommendation AFTER being put on HPWL? My current supervisor offered, but I'm not sure if this would hinder my app in anyway. Is there an ideal time to send this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all - does any previous applicant/current student know how receptive Jeff is to letters of recommendation AFTER being put on HPWL? My current supervisor offered, but I'm not sure if this would hinder my app in anyway. Is there an ideal time to send this?
For what is worth, I most likely will send one depending on if I get accepted to another school or not. I think March is prob best as you approach close to April 30th.

II on Friday :) (complete in July, big update sent on Wednesday for those wondering)

If anybody stayed with and had a good experience with any particular student host please PM me who :)

Congrats!! If you don't mind me asking, what type of things did you include in your update letter?

Congrats!! If you don't mind me asking, what type of things did you include in your update letter?
Founding a new club focused on community service that has been very successful and gotten recognition from 3-4 publications by our school/community, joining a new wet lab with a pretty unique focus (compared to most med school apps), having a semester of 3.8 GPA with upper level science courses.

Founding a new club focused on community service that has been very successful and gotten recognition from 3-4 publications by our school/community, joining a new wet lab with a pretty unique focus (compared to most med school apps), having a semester of 3.8 GPA with upper level science courses.

Thank you! And that's amazing, well-deserved II.

"You have been placed into a special High Priority category by the Committee."
Is there anything "special" about this or is this the HPWL?

To current students, at what point should I consider signing a lease for an apartment? I live out of state, so I'm probably only going to be in town to look at apartments during the second look weekend.

Just got the call from Dr. C! I'm so excited, the school blew me away during my interview day

Reactions: 10 users
I just received the "special list" email, but it seems like there are quite few people who have gotten that?

I just received the "special list" email, but it seems like there are quite few people who have gotten that?
It seems like majority of WL are HPWL but there are a few who have reported normal WL. If yours says High Priority category I think it's better than not.

lol I really hope that GPA is good enough for Jeff.

I've only heard bad things about applying ED unless you have incredibly strong ties to the school/committee. ED might increase your chances for TJ slightly, but if it doesn't work out you'll be basically 2-3 months late for every other school.

How does one get increase ties with the school/comittee. I go the jefferson undergrad so that should be abonus

Does this school send out rejections post-interview? Or do they place everyone they don't accept on the waitlist, then pick and choose who they want in April/May?

Does this school send out rejections post-interview? Or do they place everyone they don't accept on the waitlist, then pick and choose who they want in April/May?
I have not seen anyone report that they have been rejected. Plus it appears that I’ve only seen posts regarding HPWL.

Just double checking - the deposit is refundable until April 30th right?

I have not seen anyone report that they have been rejected. Plus it appears that I’ve only seen posts regarding HPWL.

Everyone who is not an A is put on HPWL or WL after the interview from what I heard/seen.

HPWL gets pulled in first if there's any spots left and there's many ppl on HPWL so WL is kind of like a soft rejection....but a few years ago on SDN someone from regular WL did get the A so not all is lost if you are in WL; Just don't get your hopes up too high as chances are slim.

I was on HPWL until two days after the orientation week started when I was told there are no more spots last year, so the wait might be long folks. But I do hope you get in and get in sooner than later! I almost died waiting around last year lol waiting till July to find out I was out of the game was waaayy too long

Also if you have any good updates, make sure to send it to them. I think we are continuously evaluated after HPWL/WL so your update may give you that little push you needed. Jefferson seems to like continued interest.

Also if you have any good updates, make sure to send it to them. I think we are continuously evaluated after HPWL/WL so your update may give you that little push you needed. Jefferson seems to like continued interest.
Jefferson said at my interview back in October that they LOVE indications of continued interest. She told us to wait until spring but it’s just about getting to that point. Send an update letter, shoot your shot. They’re into it.

Does anyone have an idea of the number of people on HPWL? I’d love to write to ad comm to ask but don’t think that I will.

To any recently accepted students, has anyone heard back from their financial aid office yet with aid packages and/or scholarships? I've had FASFA done for a month now...

To any current SMKC students, would you be able to provide any more information about aid/scholarships? Thank you