Nov 19, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I have seen a sample schedule on the SKMC website on what an "average day" looks like, but I was wondering when these blocks are. If anyone if willing to share what their 1st year week looks like, please DM me! Thanks everyone!

Reactions: pahlavik23
About the Ads
Oct 3, 2019
Hi all - does any previous applicant/current student know how receptive Jeff is to letters of recommendation AFTER being put on HPWL? My current supervisor offered, but I'm not sure if this would hinder my app in anyway. Is there an ideal time to send this?

Last edited:

FuturePedsDoc1993

2+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi all - does any previous applicant/current student know how receptive Jeff is to letters of recommendation AFTER being put on HPWL? My current supervisor offered, but I'm not sure if this would hinder my app in anyway. Is there an ideal time to send this?
For what is worth, I most likely will send one depending on if I get accepted to another school or not. I think March is prob best as you approach close to April 30th.

Reactions: liblib2019

HighYieldOnly

premed killa -> killa docta?
Jun 22, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Congrats!! If you don't mind me asking, what type of things did you include in your update letter?
Founding a new club focused on community service that has been very successful and gotten recognition from 3-4 publications by our school/community, joining a new wet lab with a pretty unique focus (compared to most med school apps), having a semester of 3.8 GPA with upper level science courses.

Jul 2, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Founding a new club focused on community service that has been very successful and gotten recognition from 3-4 publications by our school/community, joining a new wet lab with a pretty unique focus (compared to most med school apps), having a semester of 3.8 GPA with upper level science courses.
Thank you! And that's amazing, well-deserved II.

Feb 12, 2020
Status
Non-Student
"You have been placed into a special High Priority category by the Committee."
Is there anything "special" about this or is this the HPWL?

Reactions: Westfound
Nov 22, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
To current students, at what point should I consider signing a lease for an apartment? I live out of state, so I'm probably only going to be in town to look at apartments during the second look weekend.

About the Ads

FuturePedsDoc1993

2+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I just received the "special list" email, but it seems like there are quite few people who have gotten that?
It seems like majority of WL are HPWL but there are a few who have reported normal WL. If yours says High Priority category I think it's better than not.

Feb 1, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
lol I really hope that GPA is good enough for Jeff.

I've only heard bad things about applying ED unless you have incredibly strong ties to the school/committee. ED might increase your chances for TJ slightly, but if it doesn't work out you'll be basically 2-3 months late for every other school.

How does one get increase ties with the school/comittee. I go the jefferson undergrad so that should be abonus

Oct 3, 2019
Does this school send out rejections post-interview? Or do they place everyone they don't accept on the waitlist, then pick and choose who they want in April/May?

Feb 12, 2020
Status
Non-Student
Does this school send out rejections post-interview? Or do they place everyone they don't accept on the waitlist, then pick and choose who they want in April/May?
I have not seen anyone report that they have been rejected. Plus it appears that I’ve only seen posts regarding HPWL.

About the Ads
May 13, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I have not seen anyone report that they have been rejected. Plus it appears that I’ve only seen posts regarding HPWL.
Everyone who is not an A is put on HPWL or WL after the interview from what I heard/seen.

HPWL gets pulled in first if there's any spots left and there's many ppl on HPWL so WL is kind of like a soft rejection....but a few years ago on SDN someone from regular WL did get the A so not all is lost if you are in WL; Just don't get your hopes up too high as chances are slim.

I was on HPWL until two days after the orientation week started when I was told there are no more spots last year, so the wait might be long folks. But I do hope you get in and get in sooner than later! I almost died waiting around last year lol waiting till July to find out I was out of the game was waaayy too long

May 13, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Also if you have any good updates, make sure to send it to them. I think we are continuously evaluated after HPWL/WL so your update may give you that little push you needed. Jefferson seems to like continued interest.

Reactions: Ninanana

tinfoilforests

Gunnery Sergeant Mrs. Tinfoil
Feb 21, 2019
Status
Medical Student
Also if you have any good updates, make sure to send it to them. I think we are continuously evaluated after HPWL/WL so your update may give you that little push you needed. Jefferson seems to like continued interest.
Jefferson said at my interview back in October that they LOVE indications of continued interest. She told us to wait until spring but it’s just about getting to that point. Send an update letter, shoot your shot. They’re into it.

Feb 12, 2020
Status
Non-Student
Does anyone have an idea of the number of people on HPWL? I’d love to write to ad comm to ask but don’t think that I will.

Reactions: 2020_vision
Aug 1, 2019
To any recently accepted students, has anyone heard back from their financial aid office yet with aid packages and/or scholarships? I've had FASFA done for a month now...

To any current SMKC students, would you be able to provide any more information about aid/scholarships? Thank you

Reactions: star-lily
Nov 19, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
@Division1MD and everyone else wondering about financial aid! I called the office a week back and they informed me that they won't be reviewing financial aid until the summer. They couldn't get me an exact date but don't expect anything anytime soon :(

Reactions: Division1MD
Sep 18, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Does anyone have an idea of the number of people on HPWL? I’d love to write to ad comm to ask but don’t think that I will.
According to the waitlist information on the AAMC MSAR there are about 370 waitlist positions per cycle and about 60 acceptances granted off the waitlist. Not sure what year this data is from though.

Reactions: catlady906

star-lily

5+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
To any recently accepted students, has anyone heard back from their financial aid office yet with aid packages and/or scholarships? I've had FASFA done for a month now...

To any current SMKC students, would you be able to provide any more information about aid/scholarships? Thank you
This. As a future applicant through DIMER, I would extremely appreciate if anyone has info on this, especially people who come from a household income on the lower end of matriculants (~40k)

About the Ads

DimFlow

2+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2016
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
@Division1MD and everyone else wondering about financial aid! I called the office a week back and they informed me that they won't be reviewing financial aid until the summer. They couldn't get me an exact date but don't expect anything anytime soon :(
Thanks for the heads up! I'll be on cruise mode from now till SUmmer then

Oct 21, 2019

I received my financial aid package on Saturday. This was after doing the FAFSA and the extra forms in Banner

Nov 22, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I got all my information a week or so ago too.

Aug 1, 2019
Thanks for the reply. I am wondering why they said that to you when others on this thread replied that they have already received their packages? Did they mention anything specific to you?

This. As a future applicant through DIMER, I would extremely appreciate if anyone has info on this, especially people who come from a household income on the lower end of matriculants (~40k)
Have you completed all the financial aid forms on their banner yet/contacted their financial aid office?

I received my financial aid package on Saturday. This was after doing the FAFSA and the extra forms in Banner
When did you complete FASFA and the extra forms in Banner, roughly, if you remember?

I got all my information a week or so ago too.
Thanks, I wonder why a user above was told we would have to wait until the summer. Do you know about when you completed your FASFA and extra forms in banner?

Thank you for all the feedback guys, feel free to continue chiming in!

Oct 21, 2019
The financial aid office is in the process of awarding for next fall
Thanks for the reply. I am wondering why they said that to you when others on this thread replied that they have already received their packages? Did they mention anything specific to you?

Have you completed all the financial aid forms on their banner yet/contacted their financial aid office?

When did you complete FASFA and the extra forms in Banner, roughly, if you remember?

Thanks, I wonder why a user above was told we would have to wait until the summer. Do you know about when you completed your FASFA and extra forms in banner?

Thank you for all the feedback guys, feel free to continue chiming in!
I’m not sure why the user said that unless they’re just trolling...can’t really put off the extensive health clearance forms and other pre-enrollment paperwork until the summer either. But yeah I finished all my additional info on Banner a few weeks ago and FAFSA I had done sometime last year. I’ve called them a few times and from my understanding they award quite fast after all student requirements are met. You can see what requirements you’re missing in Banner too! Call the financial aid number if you have any trouble...they’re super helpful :)

Nov 22, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I had everything done a month or so ago.

Jun 19, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Anyone know if we're required to select "plan to enroll" in AMCAS at any time for this school? I know the option is available to us and we have to commit by 7/1, but do we also have to plan to enroll at some point?

Aug 1, 2019
The financial aid office is in the process of awarding for next fall

I’m not sure why the user said that unless they’re just trolling...can’t really put off the extensive health clearance forms and other pre-enrollment paperwork until the summer either. But yeah I finished all my additional info on Banner a few weeks ago and FAFSA I had done sometime last year. I’ve called them a few times and from my understanding they award quite fast after all student requirements are met. You can see what requirements you’re missing in Banner too! Call the financial aid number if you have any trouble...they’re super helpful :)

Ok, thanks for the information. I completed my FAFSA a month ago, but for whatever reason it is still saying it is incomplete in banner. Everything else in banner is complete. I've been meaning to give them a call but I never seem to have a free second during the work day at my job.

I had everything done a month or so ago.
Good to know, thanks. I completed FAFSA a month or so ago and completed the rest of the requirements on banner early this week. Do you know how soon after you completed FAFSA that it was marked as complete in Jeff's banner? Thanks

Aug 25, 2019
Ok, thanks for the information. I completed my FAFSA a month ago, but for whatever reason it is still saying it is incomplete in banner. Everything else in banner is complete. I've been meaning to give them a call but I never seem to have a free second during the work day at my job.

Good to know, thanks. I completed FAFSA a month or so ago and completed the rest of the requirements on banner early this week. Do you know how soon after you completed FAFSA that it was marked as complete in Jeff's banner? Thanks
I had the same issue! But it turned out that I had Thomas Jefferson University listed on my FAFSA, not the medical college so I would double check that. Once I fixed that, they received my FAFSA within a week!
If that’s not the problem tho, I would probably call them. I called the office last week with a few questions and they were super helpful :)

Nov 22, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical

I had completed mine quite a bit before it was marked as complete, and I even emailed the financial aid office about it. They never responded, but about 2 weeks later it was marked as complete.

Nov 7, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I am sure this has been asked before but does anyone know when the waitlist starts to have movement?
I feel like with the new traffic rule, I would say there'll be more movement after April 30th when all of the applicants have to narrow down their "plan to enroll" list to 1 school :/. But I could still be wrong it's just very unpredictable :'(

Reactions: Penguin3324
About the Ads