2019-2020 Jefferson (Kimmel)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
None of the above really seems consistent. People were taken off the WL 1.5 wks ago, meaning the WL movement is happening. However, Dr. Callahan said it hasn't started yet? Or rather that it is slow and that there is more to come..
Dr. Callahan said WL movement has not happened yet but it will happen. This was just confirmed for me by my advisor who said there may be weeks before there is WL movement for SKMC.

I think the important takeaway is that the Dean of Admissions says major movement hasn't happened yet but it is expected to happen.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Dr. Callahan said WL movement has not happened yet but it will happen. This was just confirmed for me by my advisor who said there may be weeks before there is WL movement for SKMC.

I think the important takeaway is that the Dean of Admissions says major movement hasn't happened yet but it is expected to happen.
Any insight as to why it’s so delayed?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, everyone... time to find ways to chill until then! Mindfulness and exercise really help me. This process is tough, but good practice for the future I suppose!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I got in touch with Dr. Callahan earlier this week. She said there hasn't been waitlist movement (so do not worry!) even though the April 30 date has passed. Jefferson's CTE date is so much later that things are still unfolding. Not sure how this compares to other institutions, but I was relieved to hear this. I hope it can bring solace to you all as well!
Thank you so much for sharing the info!

I got in touch with Dr. Callahan earlier this week. She said there hasn't been waitlist movement (so do not worry!) even though the April 30 date has passed. Jefferson's CTE date is so much later that things are still unfolding. Not sure how this compares to other institutions, but I was relieved to hear this. I hope it can bring solace to you all as well!
What do you mean by the CTE date is so late? Isint it actually relatively early compared to other schools?

6 ppl joined the fb group between yesterday afternoon and this morning.....

until I see a post where someone says they were accepted off the waitlist, I'm going to assume it's not moving. No need to read into fb group movement

Yikes. Perhaps Dr. Callahan was just being nice...

I don't know, there's a difference between nice and straight up lying! I worry about overthinking the FB groups. There are SO many reasons for upperclassmen to join. Housing, clubs, etc. Also, people who were accepted much earlier in the year, finally getting around to it, as they prepare for the school year. This is the biggest private med school in the country, so between the incoming class and the older ones, there are so many people that might come (and go).

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know, there's a difference between nice and straight up lying! I worry about overthinking the FB groups. There are SO many reasons for upperclassmen to join. Housing, clubs, etc. Also, people who were accepted much earlier in the year, finally getting around to it, as they prepare for the school year. This is the biggest private med school in the country, so between the incoming class and the older ones, there are so many people that might come (and go).
yeah ive been ignoring slow changes in numbers but 6 new members in one evening seems suspicious hahah. my friend said maybe MS1/2s finished any exam or something and joined after bc now they have time. Gonna try to be optimistic

Last edited:
yeah ive been ignoring slow changes in numbers but 6 new members in one evening seems suspicious hahah. my friend said maybe MS1/2s finished any exam or something and joined after bc now they have time. Gonna try to be optimistic

perhaps they sent out another email to accepted students that included the link and some people were reminded and joined!!

stay positive friends

perhaps they sent out another email to accepted students that included the link and some people were reminded and joined!!

stay positive friends
If we’re going to believe what Dr. Callahan said about no movement yet, the new members have to either be already accepted students just joining the group now or current students who found the group and have joined to share housing info or get the latest scoop. People underestimate the amount current students who join these FB groups, it can be hundreds in some school’s groups.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a little curious. For those with an acceptance already and possibly on multiple WLs, is SKMC your first choice? Or are there others that you would go to if you got off their WL over SKMC.

I am a little curious. For those with an acceptance already and possibly on multiple WLs, is SKMC your first choice? Or are there others that you would go to if you got off their WL over SKMC.
I have been accepted to another school, but I fell in love with SKMC at my interview. I would highly consider going if accepted off the wait list.

6 ppl joined the fb group between yesterday afternoon and this morning.....
7 of the 10 most recent people to join the Facebook group (who have joined over the past 2 days) are current SKMC students. The 3 others had strong privacy settings so had very little information come up when you click on their profile, slow they could easily be SKMC students as well. I can't emphasize enough that virtually every post on there is a current SKMC trying to sell their apartment contract or find a roommate haha. I think what y'all heard from Dr. Callahan is the best thing to go off of! It seems that the waitlist movement is slow in a lot of schools this year for some odd reason, but more movement will surely happen in the future. Hopefully sooner rather than later!

Reactions: 5 users
I just got my first acceptance yesterday! I'd be super happy to go to the school, but I am secretly holding out hope to get into Jeff because it is my clear top choice. I will probably hold out for a few more weeks before I fully commit to the other school.

I was accepted to SKMC and am in the top tier of a couple of other waitlists, one of which I would possibly choose over Jefferson if I got in (like 75% chance in my mind). I'd love to give one of you my spot if I get into the other school! If any of you are holding on to a U of Colorado acceptance and would rather go to Jeff, kindly withdraw your app so we can get this thing moving! :lol::lol:

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I was accepted to SKMC and am in the top tier of a couple of other waitlists, one of which I would possibly choose over Jefferson if I got in (like 75% chance in my mind). I'd love to give one of you my spot if I get into the other school! If any of you are holding on to a U of Colorado acceptance and would rather go to Jeff, kindly withdraw your app so we can get this thing moving! :lol::lol:
There are ranked waitlists that are disclosed to the applicant?!

There are ranked waitlists that are disclosed to the applicant?!
Yes, many schools will tell the applicants which tier they fall in on their waitlist (top, middle, or bottom tier). I have heard of some schools even telling the applicants their exact position on the waitlist.

Yes, many schools will tell the applicants which tier they fall in on their waitlist (top, middle, or bottom tier). I have heard of some schools even telling the applicants their exact position on the waitlist.
Both have benefits I suppose, but I almost prefer ranked vs unranked.

It would be pretty nice to know the exact position on the wl (I know this is not necessarily how it works). Like, imagine if they told you that you were #2 vs. #150 on the HPWL... would make planning for reapplications much easier.

It would be pretty nice to know the exact position on the wl (I know this is not necessarily how it works). Like, imagine if they told you that you were #2 vs. #150 on the HPWL... would make planning for reapplications much easier.
EXACTLY. Given how many students on the HPWL, I can't imagine that it is truly unranked? Otherwise, acceptances would literally be random.

EXACTLY. Given how many students on the HPWL, I can't imagine that it is truly unranked? Otherwise, acceptances would literally be random.
Well, I think each school has an idea of what they want their class to look like (a diverse class, people from different backgrounds, experiences, etc.). So having an unranked waitlist allows them to fill vacancies more specifically. The 3-tier waitlist is nice, though! At least I have some type of a gauge on what my chances are of getting off.

I have an A at my state school and have two WLs, SKMC and Penn State. I loved them both for similar reasons and for me the main difference is location but I am 99% sure I would go to whichever of them accepts me first...IF either of them accepts me.

I am hoping for a SKMC acceptance as its my top choice, but I also prefer Penn State over my state school and would go there if accepted as well. Unfortunately my state school and SKMC have the same CTE so I won't get to benefit from any post-CTE movement :/ in the end I am just thankful to have the opportunity to go to med school this cycle BUT it's nice to have a choice and pick your favorite :)

there are schools that actually rank their WL like this!!! and apparently on the portal it shows you which # they've accepted up to. Idk if that would make me more or less crazy...

there are schools that actually rank their WL like this!!! and apparently on the portal it shows you which # they've accepted up to. Idk if that would make me more or less crazy...
Ignorance isn't bliss.

I'll take you up on that! Is there an AMCAS Swap Your Medical School tool?

• Haha
I can't wait for next year applicants in the next few months to read through this thread and be like... :help:

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone have any insight about how to tell Jeff that I just got accepted at another school that I would love to go to, but that I SKMC is still my clear top choice? Should I include it in an update letter? Send an email directly to Dr. Callahan? Not mention it at all? I am a little lost about the respectful way to do this (and I know I am so lucky to have an acceptance) so any advice would be incredible.

Does anyone have any insight about how to tell Jeff that I just got accepted at another school that I would love to go to, but that I SKMC is still my clear top choice? Should I include it in an update letter? Send an email directly to Dr. Callahan? Not mention it at all? I am a little lost about the respectful way to do this (and I know I am so lucky to have an acceptance) so any advice would be incredible.
I think at this point, its really up to the committee. Dr. Callahan doesn't have the power to make these decisions or shift around the WL before more movement happens.

*edit. That said, I don't think it could hurt asking via admissions email. I don't think it wouldn't offend them, because honestly they're looking after their interests and you should too at this point.

For everyone on WL, Jeff just sent an email with instructions for the readiness assessment and summer readings to the matriculating students and we can see it was sent to 219 students. Looks like they still have 21 seats left then to fill to reach 240

For everyone on WL, Jeff just sent an email with instructions for the readiness assessment and summer readings to the matriculating students and we can see it was sent to 219 students. Looks like they still have 21 seats left then to fill to reach 240
I wonder if this sent to students who officially committed or those who for PTE?

Isn’t it a 270 person class? That’s what MSAR says.

I wonder if this sent to students who officially committed or those who for PTE?
I'm PTE at another school and am receiving emails like this, so I would have to assume its PTE & CTE students

Jeff doesn't discriminate between the two. I've been PTE since February and I'm on two other waitlists and Jeff is treating me like I'm coming. It was sent to our Jeff emails as well

Woo!! May still not mean there are 51 seats open due to all of those programs, but that’s a lot of hope!!!

So as some additional information: Yes, Jeff took some people off the WL around May 1st. However, at the moment, they can't take anymore off because people are still holding onto their acceptances (PTE) even if they're waiting on other WL acceptances. So, from what I've been told, more WL movement will happen around June 30th.

So as some additional information: Yes, Jeff took some people off the WL around May 1st. However, at the moment, they can't take anymore off because people are still holding onto their acceptances (PTE) even if they're waiting on other WL acceptances. So, from what I've been told, more WL movement will happen around June 30th.
If the PTE + CTE = 219, they still have spots open and could take people though!

If the PTE + CTE = 219, they still have spots open and could take people though!
Right, that's what makes me think they might take a fewer amount of WL this year.

Covid is having an awfully negative effect on hospital systems, which would likely mean budget cuts or lay offs, which makes me think they're staying on the safe side and keeping class low at this point..

Did someone from Jeff tell you that? (To not expect WL movement until 6/30?)

I think that's where this is leaning now, but if people start withdrawing their acceptances over the next month, I'm sure a little WL movement will happen until June 30th...