The-Medical-Mamba

2+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I know this is kind of irrelevant to people waiting on WL news... but I’m just curious.

did anyone not put anything for their “Optional” secondary and get an II?

Oct 3, 2019
So I just called admissions and they said that the waitlist has had movement and that people are being offered spots. So, I wonder if its just us?

• Wow
Reactions: bincx1602
About the Ads

justaperson274939135

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
Sep 9, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
So I just called admissions and they said that the waitlist has had movement and that people are being offered spots. So, I wonder if its just us?
Was this the admissions office or Dean Callahan? When I called admissions like the first week in May they told me that too so I think if it’s the general office they don’t actually know

Oct 3, 2019
This was the main admissions line. I don't think Dean C picks up these general calls, but I could be wrong.

But I clarified it with a few follow ups of "oh, so people on the waitlist have been taken off". and she was like "of course". So... I'm not sure what to believe anymore.

Apr 1, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
I know this is kind of irrelevant to people waiting on WL news... but I’m just curious.

did anyone not put anything for their “Optional” secondary and get an II?
Their screening process puts people who write something first, then people who didn't second. I got an interview in February and didn't write anything. Next cycle, I will be sure to!

May 13, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
This was the main admissions line. I don't think Dean C picks up these general calls, but I could be wrong.

But I clarified it with a few follow ups of "oh, so people on the waitlist have been taken off". and she was like "of course". So... I'm not sure what to believe anymore.
: ( man, wish we could know for sure. If WL happened and none of us heard back I'm going to be super sad...

Thanks for calling the office and letting us know!

Reactions: liblib2019
Nov 14, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Soooo who is reapplying and when are we submitting that primary???

I figure since apps are being sent to schools two weeks later, I could get away with submitting my app two weeks (June 15th-ish). I am dabbling with the idea of waiting until like June 21st because I would hate to spend the money and then get off any of these three waitlists.

Apr 1, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
Soooo who is reapplying and when are we submitting that primary???

I figure since apps are being sent to schools two weeks later, I could get away with submitting my app two weeks (June 15th-ish). I am dabbling with the idea of waiting until like June 21st because I would hate to spend the money and then get off any of these three waitlists.
Maybe send it in june 15th, but only send it to one school!

medDaisuki

2+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey friends, I sent an update letter/LOI over two weeks ago and it still hasn't been added to my file. Should I send it again or wait another week? Has this happened to anyone?

May 18, 2020
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hey friends, I sent an update letter/LOI over two weeks ago and it still hasn't been added to my file. Should I send it again or wait another week? Has this happened to anyone?
Have you navigated to "Communication Status" in your portal? That's where they note if it was received or not. I sent something yesterday and it's already in my file.

medDaisuki

2+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Have you navigated to "Communication Status" in your portal? That's where they note if it was received or not. I sent something yesterday and it's already in my file.
Yes I checked. It’s not there. It looks like they just missed my email. Thank you!!

About the Ads

openstage

2+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Ok so I just got off the phone with them an it was not a very useful conversation. This was basically my script that I wrote out because, you know, neurotic.

"My name is , I am an applicant from the 2020 cycle and I am currently on the high priority waitlist. I sent an update letter about a month ago that I had moved back home to and I just wanted to call and see if you could make a note that I am now back in Philadelphia.

I am also wondering if you can offer any insight into expected waitlist movement or do you know if the class is full?

Basically she just said "you can just email us to make another update" and then about the second part she seemed honestly a little idk, annoyed. but also the quality of the signal was bad so idk. She said that there is no ranking of how they take people off and she couldn't tell me if I would be pulled off but I should just continue to show interest and keep waiting. No comment about if the class is full. I think reaching out to Dean Callahan is the best way to get any useful info.
I bet those same answers are being given all over the country by administrative assistants. They probably wish it was pre-recorded for ease.

Sep 23, 2019
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I reached out to Dr. Callahan, she essentially informed me that students have until the 28th to CTE and they don't know how many people are holding on to acceptances that are not planning to enroll, but they have not really started moving to the waitlist yet. She doesn't know when they will.

Oct 3, 2019
I reached out to Dr. Callahan, she essentially informed me that students have until the 28th to CTE and they don't know how many people are holding on to acceptances that are not planning to enroll, but they have not really started moving to the waitlist yet. She doesn't know when they will.
That was the exact same thing she said to me when I communicated with her. So, she essentially doesn't know how many people on the PTE that will/won't enroll.

At this point, can we brainstorm the realistic scenarios in which some students won't CTE?
- COVID restrictions (having most clinical groups/interactions virtually carried out), so they defer a year
- WL movement at other schools that they are waiting on (though this seems less likely at this point)
- Change in motivation, don't want to go into medicine anymore due to the trauma of the pandemic/other reasons, and therefore just drop their A

Oct 3, 2019
#2 Scenario only IMHO.

I have yet to meet anyone who has been through such a challenging process to just give up now with an A in their hand.
I think that's the most likely case as well, though I've known quite a few people who have deferred their acceptances.

*Not this year, but in previous years*

Last edited:

medDaisuki

2+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I thought they have to "plan to enroll" in order to hold on to the A? Can people PTE at another school and still keep the A at Jefferson?

justaperson274939135

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
Sep 9, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
That was the exact same thing she said to me when I communicated with her. So, she essentially doesn't know how many people on the PTE that will/won't enroll.

At this point, can we brainstorm the realistic scenarios in which some students won't CTE?
- COVID restrictions (having most clinical groups/interactions virtually carried out), so they defer a year
- WL movement at other schools that they are waiting on (though this seems less likely at this point)
- Change in motivation, don't want to go into medicine anymore due to the trauma of the pandemic/other reasons, and therefore just drop their A
Just curious for you both, how recent was your communication w Dean? I know this info has been mentioned but just wondering how recent/ up to date it is

Only #2 tbh. I wish the others could be realistic bc even this seems unlikely at this stage but they really don’t seem to be.

#1 not worth it because so many schools will be ambiguous about their plans even at prematriculaton and can all change at the drop of a hat so no one knows how COVID restrictions (could even loosen up - not likely IMO, but a lot of people’s best guess is as good as anyone else’s right now) will impact M1. Jeff is one saying in person too last I heard (anyone feel free to correct me)

Since you mentioned knowing people who have deferred in previous years, I know people who have done this but it is usually for PeaceCorps or Fulbright or some incredible opportunity and the # of these available is smaller than ever.

#3 is probably n=0 because if you got accepted you already convinced a med school you have exposed yourself enough to the profession and thought deeply about this being the right choice for you and it’s hard to make someone else believe it if it’s not an engrained core belief of your own

Oct 3, 2019
Just curious for you both, how recent was your communication w Dean? I know this info has been mentioned but just wondering how recent/ up to date it is

Only #2 tbh. I wish the others could be realistic bc even this seems unlikely at this stage but they really don’t seem to be.

#1 not worth it because so many schools will be ambiguous about their plans even at prematriculaton and can all change at the drop of a hat so no one knows how COVID restrictions (could even loosen up - not likely IMO, but a lot of people’s best guess is as good as anyone else’s right now) will impact M1. Jeff is one saying in person too last I heard (anyone feel free to correct me)

Since you mentioned knowing people who have deferred in previous years, I know people who have done this but it is usually for PeaceCorps or Fulbright or some incredible opportunity and the # of these available is smaller than ever.

#3 is probably n=0 because if you got accepted you already convinced a med school you have exposed yourself enough to the profession and thought deeply about this being the right choice for you and it’s hard to make someone else believe it if it’s not an engrained core belief of your own
To your first question, it was Mid-May.

About the Ads
May 29, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
With Jefferson being a school that takes a substantial amount of students off the waitlist, this delay is really discouraging me. Maybe it's just slow because of COVID, I guess we can just hope and speculate at this point. Hang in there fellow waitlist gang!!!

Nov 14, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Maybe send it in june 15th, but only send it to one school!
The thought here is that my application will get approved by AMCAS by submitting to one school and then I can always go back and apply to more once I know I didn't get off a waitlist?

If that's what you're saying, you a truly a bright person.

Reactions: mammalia21
Oct 22, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
The thought here is that my application will get approved by AMCAS by submitting to one school and then I can always go back and apply to more once I know I didn't get off a waitlist?

If that's what you're saying, you a truly a bright person.
yes, definitely do that!

Reactions: mammalia21
Apr 28, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
Did anybody else who didn't get an II recently get a letter from the dean? It was oddly worded so I'm not sure if it's the general rejection e-mail that comes at the end of the cycle or if my application was especially bad.

About the Ads
Oct 3, 2019
Does anyone think June 15 will have any significant or am I just too naive at this point... it looks like a couple schools have a CTE deadline of 6/15 ? Grabbing at straws because idk what else there could be at this point
I wish I knew if June 15th or June 30th would have an impact on WL movement at this point...

Nov 22, 2018
Status
Medical Student
Someone on the FB group just posted today saying that they were accepted off the waitlist and are looking for a roommate/apartment, etc. So it looks like there is some movement going on.

justaperson274939135

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
Sep 9, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Someone on the FB group just posted today saying that they were accepted off the waitlist and are looking for a roommate/apartment, etc. So it looks like there is some movement going on.
Definitely makes sense especially at this stage :( thanks for letting us know.

Edit. Not sure if this is good news or bad news, but atleast it helps to be less in the dark...

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
Okay guys, I'm going to attempt to call the admissions office tomorrow out of pure desperation. I am so lucky that I have another acceptance, but it is across the country and I have to sign a lease by the end of the week or could end up without housing. Going to try to see if they will give me any information about future waitlist movement, wish me luck /:

justaperson274939135

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
Sep 9, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Okay guys, I'm going to attempt to call the admissions office tomorrow out of pure desperation. I am so lucky that I have another acceptance, but it is across the country and I have to sign a lease by the end of the week or could end up without housing. Going to try to see if they will give me any information about future waitlist movement, wish me luck /:
best of luck!!!!

Reactions: mctmct
Feb 16, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
Update: no answer. I am assuming that they are out of the office due to COVID, so I am going to shoot Dr. Callahan an email and see if she would be willing to speak on the phone this week. I am honestly not expecting a response, which is a huge bummer because I loved this school

May 15, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Update: no answer. I am assuming that they are out of the office due to COVID, so I am going to shoot Dr. Callahan an email and see if she would be willing to speak on the phone this week. I am honestly not expecting a response, which is a huge bummer because I loved this school
That’s so weird.. they had answered previously when I called once back in May (so when COVID was still happening). Maybe something is just going on today? Dr. Callahan is usually pretty responsive when it comes to emails so hopefully she’ll get back to you!

Reactions: liblib2019
Feb 16, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
They just called me back! The woman basically said that movement is happening but to email Dr. Callahan. Can anyone confirm her email for me? I'd like to verify that I'm using the correct one

Reactions: 2020_vision
About the Ads