2019-2020 Kaiser (Tyson)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OchemOficionado

Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Via Email: "Thank you for submitting your primary AMCAS Application. We are in the process of reviewing your application and will be in contact with you as soon as possible."

Reactions: 4 users
Received e-mail:

Dear XXXXXXXXX
Thank you for submitting your primary AMCAS Application. We are in the process of reviewing your application and will be in contact with you as soon as possible.

Sincerely,
The Office of Admissions

Members don't see this ad :)
When were you verified? If you don't mind my asking!

Thanks! I'm excited to see what their secondaries are, I really love the look of their program

Reactions: 1 users
Hahaha, it is very affordable ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Via Email: "Thank you for submitting your primary AMCAS Application. We are in the process of reviewing your application and will be in contact with you as soon as possible."
Received e-mail:

Dear XXXXXXXXX
Thank you for submitting your primary AMCAS Application. We are in the process of reviewing your application and will be in contact with you as soon as possible.

Sincerely,
The Office of Admissions
+2

I got my secondary about 20 minutes ago however there is a problem with the website, I think it crashed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got this:

We are aware of the Secondary Application reset password issue. We have our IT department working on resolving this as soon as possible. We hope to have an update early next week. We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused.

Thank you for your patience and have a great weekend!

Sincerely,

The Office of Admissions

Received a reply from them!
"
Dear xyz,

We are aware of the Secondary Application reset password issue. We have our IT department working on resolving this as soon as possible. We hope to have an update early next week. We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused.
Thank you for your patience and have a great weekend!

Sincerely,
The Office of Admissions
"

Reactions: 5 users
During your career as a physician, you will potentially encounter many obstacles and be required to overcome many challenges. Resilience is a prerequisite for success in medical school and beyond. Describe your experience with a situation that had an unfavorable outcome. How did you react, and how might you have responded differently? What did you learn about yourself? (250 Words)

Kaiser Permanente is nationally recognized for its achievements in the realm of equity, inclusion, and diversity. How will you contribute to the diversity of the Kaiser Permanente School of Medicine? (250 Words)

Lifelong learning is an essential process for continued professional development in physicians that includes reflection and being open and responsive to constructive feedback. Tell us about an area of intellectual exploration you are passionate about and have sustained over time. What means have you used to explore this area? (250 Words)

Reactions: 26 users
For the lifelong learning prompt, is it okay to talk about hobbies?

Just to clarify, the challenges prompt is just a traditional challenges/adversity prompt?

Last edited:
Just to clarify, the challenges prompt is just a traditional challenges/adversity prompt?

It’s specifically worded to select for challenges that did not have a good outcome. So it’s more of a “failure” essay than a challenge essay, slightly different imo. I think they want a situation where you failed and grew from it through a means other than “yeah I tried harder the next day and fixed it and then things were gucci”

For the lifelong learning prompt, is it okay to talk about hobbies?
Yea, I'm writing about photography for this one

as @Fruitjuice said, I think this is specifically asking for a time where something went wrong/you didn't achieve an end, etc. The standard challenge prompt is usually asking about a situation you had to get through and how you got through it

as @Fruitjuice said, I think this is specifically asking for a time where something went wrong/you didn't achieve an end, etc. The standard challenge prompt is usually asking about a situation you had to get through and how you got through it

Agree. A challenge may or may not be about a time you failed, so be careful about using your "challenge" essay here if it doesn't apply. It's kind of like rhombus, square, rectangle categorizations.

For the third essay, would my passion for teaching be appropriate, tying in how as a physician I hope to teach medical students using my past experiences?
I think this is a fine topic, but keep in mind that linking undergrad teaching experience to desire to be a med school professor is a common thing to write about. I would also link education to medicine itself and explain if teaching had any impact on your desire to pursue medicine

Secondary just received today!

Verified 6/7, in-state, ORM with LizzyM of 67.

Reactions: 3 users
What does area of intellectual exploration mean? Is this referring to, for example, engineering or research? Or is it actually talking about hobbies or personal interests, like playing an instrument or volunteering?

What does area of intellectual exploration mean? Is this referring to, for example, engineering or research? Or is it actually talking about hobbies or personal interests, like playing an instrument or volunteering?

I was thinking of using research for this prompt, but I’d like to hear what others think.

Submitted my secondary. For the prompt in question, I talked about my research but not in much detail. It was more of an overall picture of why I got interested in the topic in the first place.

Yeah I would like to know if people are talking about research or hobbies for the exploration question. I wrote about my astronomy hobby but I can't figure out how to tie it to medicine. However, I haven't exactly had a lifelong passion for research...

I was thinking of using research for this prompt, but I’d like to hear what others think.
Yeah I would like to know if people are talking about research or hobbies for the exploration question. I wrote about my astronomy hobby but I can't figure out how to tie it to medicine. However, I haven't exactly had a lifelong passion for research...
I could be way off here, but I don't think there's anything in the prompt that implies that you should talk about research, although if your research is the result of an intellectual passion then go for it. To me, it sounds like they're just trying to see that you're intellectual and curious, so I chose to talk about something that didn't show up in great detail anywhere else on my application (being a musician).

I don't think there's anything in the prompt that implies that you should talk about research

Research is definitely the most “intellectual” thing I’ve done personally, but I’m a nontrad with a heavy research background. I agree that people can choose to write about other things.

I could be way off here, but I don't think there's anything in the prompt that implies that you should talk about research, although if your research is the result of an intellectual passion then go for it. To me, it sounds like they're just trying to see that you're intellectual and curious, so I chose to talk about something that didn't show up in great detail anywhere else on my application (being a musician).

I agree. I think it’s asking you to tell them about something that you’ve learned a lot about that you are passionate about... I asked a family member for ideas for this one and she said “don’t write about video games” lol

Reactions: 2 users
It's open-ended but I talked about research.

Submitted my secondary. For the prompt in question, I talked about my research but not in much detail. It was more of an overall picture of why I got interested in the topic in the first place.
Me too!

Secondary received this morning at 2:30am (edit: 2:30am EST) lol

Last edited:
Secondary rec'd...just added this school to my app this morning!

Was verified and sent my primary to kaiser first day. Still no secondary is everyone in state? Their website didn’t mention any cutoffs.

Secondary yay! Severely unqualified but staying hopeful :)