2019-2020 Kaiser (Tyson)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So is it safe to say that they're still going through July applications for IIs?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
So is it safe to say that they're still going through July applications for IIs?
They definitely don’t review chronologically. I was complete 6/30 and when I contacted them recently for an unrelated reason they told me my application hasn’t been reviewed yet.

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Based on the stats of people getting an invite I wonder how holistic are they viewing applicants lol

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Based on the stats of people getting an invite I wonder how holistic are they viewing applicants lol

I think judging by the complete date assortment, they may be doing something similar to other schools where they sort through high stat applicants apps first and then get to us lower tier folks. So it can be that they arent even entertaining it but I tend to think they stratify their in some manner rather than going the fully random route

Reactions: 4 users

I think it’s just more high stat applicants tend to be on sdn and post about their interviews

It may be possible that they are going through high stats people first since they want to compete with the Harvards, etc. Then once they fill the spots they want to fill with people of those stats, they'll move on to us lower stats people. I know for sure that they are not looking to fill the entire 48 student class with high stats. They are definitely looking to get a diverse (in many ways) class. Here's to hoping us lower end folks hear some good news soon!!

Reactions: 7 users
I know for sure that they are not looking to fill the entire 48 student class with high stats. They are definitely looking to get a diverse (in many ways) class.
One can hope, anyway.

Reactions: 6 users
I think judging by the complete date assortment, they may be doing something similar to other schools where they sort through high stat applicants apps first and then get to us lower tier folks. So it can be that they arent even entertaining it but I tend to think they stratify their in some manner rather than going the fully random route
As long as they actually get to the rest of us :(

what are your stats? i feel like we applied to all the same schools :oops:
514 mcat, super nontraditional. With your LM, I don't know if you can be considered "lower stats" lol.

Reactions: 1 user
514 mcat, super nontraditional. With your LM, I don't know if you can be considered "lower stats" lol.
oh sorry! i didn't mean to imply that I was, i was just curious since i see you on all the same threads haha. wishing you luck!

Forever waiting for the status "Your application is now complete and awaiting review" to change

Members don't see this ad :)
Did these guy just ask if I wanted to be a test subject?
I'm not even upset, that's bold.

• Haha
Reactions: 29 users

Got the following email:

Thank you for submitting your secondary application to the Kaiser Permanente School of Medicine (KPSOM)!

As a new medical school, KPSOM is committed to increasing scientific knowledge that might improve future students’ medical education experiences, health and well-being, career development, and societal impact. We are currently building an ongoing repository of potential study participants for future medical education research studies. We invite you to participate in the repository by clicking on the link below.

Some absolute maniac of a PI convinced the admissions office to send him the list of applicants, then promptly sent out an email blast looking for volunteers for a study.

Look, as someone who values training opportunities for cardiologist and who values scaring people; I'm more excited to hopefully attend knowing they have no qualms about instigating heart attacks across the US like that.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Interesting. I didn’t get the email.
1568648518671.png

Edit: probably only the very likely to be rejected were chosen for this honor, Carcinoma

• Haha
Did these guy just ask if I wanted to be a test subject?
I'm not even upset, that's bold.
Yeah what is this? Is this a test? If I don’t participate will it be viewed negatively?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Yeah what is this? Is this a test? If I don’t participate will it be viewed negatively?

-"So how would you say the stress of the cycle is aff-"

"I WOULD LIKE TO ATTEND KPSOM BECAUSE I ALSO VALUE DIVERSITY"

-"Sir, this is separate from -"

"I WAS THE LEADER OF A PREMED GROUP THAT CAMPAIGNED FOR CHEAPER BETA BLOCKERS DUE TO THE HIGH DEMAND AMONGST THIS GROUP. I CAN SEND YOU AN UPDATE LETTER WITH RESULTS"

-"
Capture.PNG

• Haha
Reactions: 24 users
-"So how would you say the stress of the cycle is aff-"

"I WOULD LIKE TO ATTEND KPSOM BECAUSE I ALSO VALUE DIVERSITY"

-"Sir, this is separate from -"

"I WAS THE LEADER OF A PREMED GROUP THAT CAMPAIGNED FOR CHEAPER BETA BLOCKERS DUE TO THE HIGH DEMAND AMONGST THIS GROUP. I CAN SEND YOU AND UPDATE LETTER WITH RESULTS"

-"View attachment 280183
Im dying:rofl:

just got the test subject email. smh, thought it was an II.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
They are ghosting me so hard they don’t even send me the research study email. Smh

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 9 users
I saw the subject and didn’t even open it. Quit playing games with my heart, kpsom.
I mean yeah tbh I thought it was either a rejection or an invite. But it was neither kind of disappointed. I just want to hear back from schools I'm getting so anxious.

Reactions: 2 users
I got it and already have an II so don't worry.
Doesn’t mean you’re not going to get an R though...

(Totally kidding, you’re going to kill the interview and get that A.)

• Love
Based on that research study, it seems KP is anticipating 5000 applications, and everyone that applied should receive a RESEARCH invitation.

is everyone sad about that email this morning as well? ahaha dang

Is there any way to update KPSOM through the portal, or do you have to email admissions directly?

Plot twist: their true research project was based on our reactions on sdn

New psychology experiment

• Haha
I didn't hear about this school until recently. Think it would be too late (donation to the school) to send an application in at this point?

I didn't hear about this school until recently. Think it would be too late (donation to the school) to send an application in at this point?
50 bucks and no one knows what kind of people theyre lookin for. My vote is to shoot ya shot. Feel free to object

50 bucks and no one knows what kind of people theyre lookin for. My vote is to shoot ya shot. Feel free to object
+1. Interviewed here already. Seems like they’re truly looking for diversity; one of the guys at the interview told me he mostly applied DO because of his stats, so it seems like they’re not just trying to fill their class up with high stats (though n=1). Love the city of Pasadena and they’re clearly paying attention to evidence based medical education and trying to rapidly rise as a school. All of the above + free tuition tells me that it’s worth tossing your hat in. You’re not early anymore, but not necessarily too late imo.

Reactions: 2 users

No one knows how things work at Kaiser yet, but you need to decide quickly. They stop accepting applications on October 1st with secondaries due by November 1st.

I just called the office and they were able to send me a secondary even though my MCAT was about 5 months too old lol. Fingers crossed I'm not throwing money away at this point by sending it in kind of late.