2019-2020 Kaiser (Tyson)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got my 2° the day I got verified this week and submitted. Curious to see how this goes...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Received II 3 days ago, seems sketchy that they've sent so many out, but grateful nonetheless!

The adversity essay has me stumped. I want to write about how I struggled at first with my current job and received negative feedback, but then learned from that feedback and grew. Don't know if this story would fit with the prompt. Any advice would be appreciated

Last edited:
Complete 7/6, yeah I'm saying it based off posts here but maybe hella sampling bias

Yeah, Kaiser and USC are the main reasons why I am neurotic right now and feel like something wrong with my app. IIs seem to be flying out like they’re free for these schools (someone said USC already booked out interviews for 2 months or something?)

Worried about how my app will fare at even more competitive schools.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah, Kaiser and USC are the main reasons why I am neurotic right now and feel like something wrong with my app. IIs seem to be flying out like they’re free for these schools (someone said USC already booked out interviews for 2 months or something?)

Same tho

Reactions: 1 users

+1 to all of this

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I mean Michigan didn’t give me an interview, but I wasn’t even phased because they only gave out 37 interviews. And those who did had pretty high LM and WARS

But when I see other schools book interviews out for months, and give out IIs to people who submitted 2 days ago (no offense, I’m sure you deserve it if this is you) I’m just like...damn bro did I accidentally insult an adcom’s mother or something?

Sorry off topic, I’ll stop lol

Reactions: 4 users
I mean Michigan didn’t give me an interview, but I wasn’t even phased because they only gave out 37 interviews. And those who did had pretty high LM and WARS

But when I see other schools book interviews out for months, and give out IIs to people who submitted 2 days ago (no offense, I’m sure you deserve it if this is you) I’m just like...damn bro did I accidentally insult an adcom’s mother or something?

Sorry off topic, I’ll stop lol
It ain't over until we receive the R. This has been said many times on here, but apps are not always reviewed chronologically. High stats + URM and/or disadvantaged status or a number of other factors could put someone at the top of the pile to be reviewed more quickly. Don't count yourself out yet.

Even then, there are other schools. Statistically speaking, our chances at gaining admission at any one particular school are low, but that's why we applied to more than one school.

I understand how you feel, but let's not beat ourselves up too much just yet. It is still July.

Reactions: 5 users
Is Kaiser really giving out that many interviews? Looking at the NYU thread it seems like more people got NYU IIs this morning than Kaiser has given out in total so far...
Not sure about the total number of interviews, but the inaugural class size is really small (~40-something). I would imagine they would interview a sizable amount throughout the cycle.

This place and Reddit are treasure troves in terms of information and having a community who knows what you're going through, but are also toxic in terms of making you insecure and neurotic. Don't let it get to you, the app cycle is still suuuper young!

Reactions: 8 users
Anyone else's portal say "complete and awaiting review"? Kind of concerned because I was marked complete 7/3.

anyone write about a hobby for the "intellectual exploration" prompt? I've been really involved in swimming and long distance running for a few years. I'm always learning and reading about training methods and how to recover better. Was thinking of writing about this since my other 2 prompts are sort of centered around my current job

Reactions: 1 user
anyone write about a hobby for the "intellectual exploration" prompt? I've been really involved in swimming and long distance running for a few years. I'm always learning and reading about training methods and how to recover better. Was thinking of writing about this since my other 2 prompts are sort of centered around my current job

If you can really emphasize the "learning" aspect rather than the training aspect, it might be OK.

To those who submitted their primary in July, how many days did it take before Kaiser sent the secondary?

To those who submitted their primary in July, how many days did it take before Kaiser sent the secondary?

Someone mentioned they got the secondary on the same day they got verified. As for verifications, AMCAS is working on June 26th submissions right now, so no July AMCAS submissions (with the exception of EDP) yet.

Someone mentioned they got the secondary on the same day they got verified. As for verifications, AMCAS is working on June 26th submissions right now, so no July AMCAS submissions (with the exception of EDP) yet.
I submitted in June and still don't have a secondary.

• Sad
Just got a II! 3.95 GPA/518 MCAT OOS. I just took CASPer July 18th so I assumed my scores weren’t in yet but who knows? Maybe they’re only using CASPer for info purposes and not actually screening out applicants this year.

Reactions: 5 users
Just got a II! 3.95 GPA/518 MCAT OOS. I just took CASPer July 18th so I assumed my scores weren’t in yet but who knows? Maybe they’re only using CASPer for info purposes and not actually screening out applicants this year.

Congrats. You can check on CASPer's website, once you log in, under Past Tests, it will say if the results were delivered.

Do you mind if I ask when you submitted your secondary?? Congrats!

congrats!! When did you submit your secondary?

Do you mind if I ask when you submitted your secondary?? Congrats!
I submitted my secondary June 30th! Also I checked and my CASPer scores are still pending, so it's confirmed that they don't need CASPer to send out interview invites.

Congrats to everyone with an II!

It seems to me like Kaiser is sending a lot of IIs for having a class of ~40...

Congrats to everyone with an II!

It seems to me like Kaiser is sending a lot of IIs for having a class of ~40...
Doesn't mean all of them will get accepted ...

I find it interesting that a new school (although I know kaiser is amazing and free) is interviewing people with 4.0s/518s first. Do they think that people will choose them over top schools? Maybe I'm just a jealous average applicant wishing I had an II here :p

Reactions: 9 users
I find it interesting that a new school (although I know kaiser is amazing) is interviewing people with 4.0s/518s first. Do they think that people will choose them over top schools? Maybe I'm just a jealous average applicant wishing I had an II here :p
IT IS FREE

Reactions: 12 users
Not applying here. But it's the uncertainty whether top applicants will choose them so they will interview a lot of students hoping they can steal them with free tuition and build their reputation for a few years
I find it interesting that a new school (although I know kaiser is amazing) is interviewing people with 4.0s/518s first. Do they think that people will choose them over top schools? Maybe I'm just a jealous average applicant wishing I had an II here :p

Kaiser is a well-established system, even though their med school might be new, they will be able to attract talent as they have quite a few residencies that they will likely probably give preferential treatment to their own students. Also it is free. Also it is in California.

Reactions: 3 users
Kaiser is a well-established system, even though their med school might be new, they will be able to attract talent as they have quite a few residencies that they will likely probably give preferential treatment to their own students. Also it is free. Also it is in California.
RT, although I don't consider myself "top talent," Kaiser is my dream school and I'd pick it over the T20's I applied to in a heartbeat.

Nothing in life is free. There is always a cost. You might not see it now but eventually you will.
You are probably right. However, it is better than having 240k in tuition debt at the time of graduation and possibly 350-400k including living costs.

You are probably right. However, it is better than having 240k in tuition debt at the time of graduation and possibly 350-400k including living costs.

Maybe.
But I ain’t drinkin that Kaiser Kool-Aid.

• Haha
It sounds more like in regards to the original issue. For example, if you originally got pissed off and punched someone, reacting differently would be staying calm and seeing all the issues before making a compelling case and then giving them a cookie. Yea, it's a severe exaggeration, but you should focus on the original issue. You are essentially saying what you have learned from that situation specifically. Even if that info can be used in other situations, they seem to want the emphasis on the original.

just got an II!!!!!! i'm freaking out guys

Reactions: 17 users
II this morning. My first II and I want to go crazy but I’m at work and must remain composed lol. First of the cycle and this is my number 1 choice.

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
Is anyone else experiencing this issue.... I submitted my secondary last week and when I click on status it shows the fee, secondary, letters, technical standards, and MCAT score are all complete but the last box shows my application is still incomplete. I also took casper early June and my casper portal shows my results were delivered to the school as well.

Was this problem resolved for you? I am having the same issue and contacted the school. Got a response from an admissions counselor who confirmed that my application is complete and awaiting review.