2019-2020 Kaiser (Tyson)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I find it interesting that a new school (although I know kaiser is amazing and free) is interviewing people with 4.0s/518s first. Do they think that people will choose them over top schools? Maybe I'm just a jealous average applicant wishing I had an II here :p
I have been told they are making it free primarily to attract these top applicants that would get accepted to the Harvards of medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t think they screen. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned that they heard this from an information session
They do not screen. Every single person gets a secondary and every secondary gets reviewed! (I went to an info session)

Reactions: 1 user
For those staying at the hotel Kaiser booked for interviewees, does anybody how it works when checkout is 12 PM the next day when we're at the interview? Does that mean we should bring our stuff with us to the interview?

For those staying at the hotel Kaiser booked for interviewees, does anybody how it works when checkout is 12 PM the next day when we're at the interview? Does that mean we should bring our stuff with us to the interview?
Haven’t gotten an II, but I imagine they’ll have a place for y’all to store your luggage during interview day and you should bring it with you from the hotel. But you could always call them or email them and ask.

Haven’t gotten an II, but I imagine they’ll have a place for y’all to store your luggage during interview day and you should bring it with you from the hotel. But you could always call them or email them and ask.
Very common to take luggage to interview. They should arrange a place to store.

For those of you with IIs, what days of the week were available to interview? I'm thinking of sending in ITA email but I'm not planning on being in the area for very long.

For those of you with IIs, what days of the week were available to interview? I'm thinking of sending in ITA email but I'm not planning on being in the area for very long.
there was only one date available for me, on a thursday

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone's secondary application still say incomplete despite having all materials in? I submitted 7/15

Does anyone's secondary application still say incomplete despite having all materials in? I submitted 7/15

Nope, I submitted later than that and had been marked complete (and complete email) the day after. Is your CASPer in?

FYI, got a response from my ITA email.

They basically politely said they aren’t willing to accommodate.

But they also said my file hasn’t even been looked at yet (submitted secondary 6/30), so there’s definitely still hope for all of us still waiting to hear anything.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 19 users
It’s free tuition. That’s very attractive to many people and some people will likely turn down Harvard/Stanford/JHU to go. My estimate is median GPA will be 3.88 and mean MCAT will be 519

Yes and No-

It's a new school that's working its way through the accreditation process right now. For a person with such high stats getting into one of the top schools, going there may seem like a less risky endeavor. On the other hand, CA University of Science and Medicine is relatively new and has extremely high stats.

I applied because I wholeheartedly trust that this school will rise up into the top 20 in the next decade.

Probably not going to get in either way. Low stats and I'm pretty sure I butchered the CASPER yet again-couldn't type fast enough.

Do you think there’s any chance of getting an interview invite with a MCAT score between 500-505?

I don't think anyone will have that answer until their stats come out for their first matriculant class

Yeah but realistically speaking I don't think they'd accept those kind of stats considering the nature of the competition. I just wanted to get some guesstimates. I'm thinking you'd have to be in the 510-515 range, maybe 508-510.

Nope, I submitted later than that and had been marked complete (and complete email) the day after. Is your CASPer in?

Yeah, I took CASPer July 18th, so they should've received it on August 1st if I'm understanding correctly. I don't really know what else I could be missing (attached is screenshot of status section)... I'll send them an email. :/

Maybe it's because I'm applying MD/PhD?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 5.23.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 5.23.39 PM.png
    145 KB · Views: 116
Yeah but realistically speaking I don't think they'd accept those kind of stats considering the nature of the competition. I just wanted to get some guesstimates. I'm thinking you'd have to be in the 510-515 range, maybe 508-510.

The odds of matriculation to any single medical school is extremely low. That's why we all apply to so many. You just need to weigh if you think the certain cost of the secondary fee is worth the slim chance (not just for you, but all of us) at a free medical education. If funds are tight and it means not applying elsewhere, that's another story. But if you can afford it I say take a shot! Your MCAT/GPA does not define you, and you never know what they are looking for.

Reactions: 2 users
The odds of matriculation to any single medical school is extremely low. That's why we all apply to so many. You just need to weigh if you think the certain cost of the secondary fee is worth the slim chance (not just for you, but all of us) at a free medical education. If funds are tight and it means not applying elsewhere, that's another story. But if you can afford it I say take a shot! Your MCAT/GPA does not define you, and you never know what they are looking for.

I understand what you're saying. I personally am applying at a big disadvantage since I'm taking my MCAT in a few weeks and yes still applying this cycle so that means I would need that much higher of an MCAT score to get in. Having said that, although those two things "don't define you", they are the gatekeepers whether you (or others) agree or not. That's what gets your application actually seen, so if you have a high GPA (my situation), but barely being able to break a 500 on the MCAT (my situation), then it becomes tougher to get in anywhere, let alone Kaiser. I'm trying my best regardless of how much I'm studying, and if I get into any medical school then great, but if I don't, then it's not the end of the world, and it's not meant to be. That's a lesson that you only learn with time through your own personal journey if you're meant to learn that, which is what I am experiencing. Good luck to everyone.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, I took CASPer July 18th, so they should've received it on August 1st if I'm understanding correctly. I don't really know what else I could be missing (attached is screenshot of status section)... I'll send them an email. :/

Maybe it's because I'm applying MD/PhD?

I'm also applying MD/PhD and am still marked incomplete despite submitting early July. I contacted them and they said that my file is indeed complete even though the portal isn't reflecting that. I'd go ahead and send them an email to double check that everything is alright.

I'm also applying MD/PhD and am still marked incomplete despite submitting early July. I contacted them and they said that my file is indeed complete even though the portal isn't reflecting that. I'd go ahead and send them an email to double check that everything is alright.

Great! Thank you!

I understand what you're saying. I personally am applying at a big disadvantage since I'm taking my MCAT in a few weeks and yes still applying this cycle so that means I would need that much higher of an MCAT score to get in. Having said that, although those two things "don't define you", they are the gatekeepers whether you (or others) agree or not. That's what gets your application actually seen, so if you have a high GPA (my situation), but barely being able to break a 500 on the MCAT (my situation), then it becomes tougher to get in anywhere, let alone Kaiser. I'm trying my best regardless of how much I'm studying, and if I get into any medical school then great, but if I don't, then it's not the end of the world, and it's not meant to be. That's a lesson that you only learn with time through your own personal journey if you're meant to learn that, which is what I am experiencing. Good luck to everyone.

Well said, my friend. Good luck!

Totally understand, more just saying if you have a compelling application and have the funds to apply I don't see a downside in giving it a shot! None of us have any idea what their MCAT range will be for accepted students. Just trying to be encouraging to give it your best and apply!

Hi peeps. Just got my secondary today (I submitted primary late and was only verified yesterday). I have a stupid question. For prereqs, does Music Theory count as Humanities? They list things like history, philsophy, and art but I dunno if Music Theory falls under art. Thanks!

Do you think there’s any chance of getting an interview invite with a MCAT score between 500-505?
I went to an info session and their Dean of Diversity and Inclusion, Dr. Conwell (amazing story and very encouraging), said they will be looking at all applications they receive and have trained all readers to look at a person holistically. Now we all know a lot of schools say they do this but still have internal cutoffs (which in my opinion, they are not holistic reviews), but KP SOM does not have any cut-offs and strongly consider each applicant's story and how it has influenced their premed journey.

I personally have a lower than average GPA, but the rest of my application is competitive. KP SOM is one of the schools I am most excited about because of the impression Dr. Conwell made during his presentation on the school. Do not give up hope! :)

Reactions: 6 users
Application completed 7/5 still haven't heard anything, any advice? Thanks!

Application completed 7/5 still haven't heard anything, any advice? Thanks!

You just have to be patient and distract yourself by doing things you love. Try not to obsess about how long it’s been, every school has their own method for reviewing apps and they don’t necessarily go in order. They will get back to you when they have made a decision :)

Reactions: 4 users
The consensus is that kaiser sent secondaries to everyone right?

Hi, so I need some advice from seasoned individuals (preferably Goro, or someone with lots of experience). I won't be taking my MCAT exam until September 6th which means I won't be receiving my score until October 8th. Now the problem with this is is that I have been told to never apply to any schools until you know your MCAT score. However, the deadline for primary applications for Kaiser is October 1st, so that means if I want to even be considered for a secondary application, I would have to submit it before then. However, this means I would have to submit my application WITHOUT KNOWING my MCAT score. What do you think I should do in this particular situation? My primary application has been verified since June, but I haven't submitted it anywhere because again I don't know my MCAT score. Some sage advice would be appreciated. I figure, however, since Kaiser is definitely somewhere I want to be considered at, that I would have to apply there regardless of how I think I may do. I'm not applying next year, it's either this year MD or not at all for MD. Another option is DO or PA, depending on MCAT score. Thanks.

Hi, so I need some advice from seasoned individuals (preferably Goro, or someone with lots of experience). I won't be taking my MCAT exam until September 6th which means I won't be receiving my score until October 8th. Now the problem with this is is that I have been told to never apply to any schools until you know your MCAT score. However, the deadline for primary applications for Kaiser is October 1st, so that means if I want to even be considered for a secondary application, I would have to submit it before then. However, this means I would have to submit my application WITHOUT KNOWING my MCAT score. What do you think I should do in this particular situation? My primary application has been verified since June, but I haven't submitted it anywhere because again I don't know my MCAT score. Some sage advice would be appreciated. I figure, however, since Kaiser is definitely somewhere I want to be considered at, that I would have to apply there regardless of how I think I may do. I'm not applying next year, it's either this year MD or not at all for MD. Another option is DO or PA, depending on MCAT score. Thanks.

Sidenote I am not a seasoned individual... or Goro. Lol.

Depends on your GPA and projected score based on your AAMC full length averages, but frankly, that's really just veering on too late to submit a primary at any school for this cycle. Youll have a much better shot DO-wise but still it's very late for this cycle. However, if this is really your only cycle to apply for med school, you may as well if money isnt an issue, right?

Sidenote I am not a seasoned individual... or Goro. Lol.

Depends on your GPA, but frankly, that's really way too late to submit a primary at any school for this cycle. Youll have a much better shot DO-wise but still it's very late for this cycle. However, if this is really your only cycle to apply for being a physician, you may as well if money isnt an issue, right?

Well I mean I could've submitted my primary to Kaiser back in June but I figured there's no point since I don't have my MCAT score. I have been verified since Mid June for my primary.

Well I mean I could've submitted my primary to Kaiser back in June but I figured there's no point since I don't have my MCAT score. I have been verified since Mid June for my primary.

If anything, Kaiser is the one school to which you may as well crapshoot because its the first year of the school, no data, and it is one of the cheapest secondary fees out there

If anything, Kaiser is the one school to which you may as well crapshoot because its the first year of the school, no data, and it is one of the cheapest secondary fees out there

Would there have been an advantage to submitting my primary to other schools in June? I don't see how besides like you mentioned Kaiser, because without an MCAT score, you're just throwing money at them.

Would there have been an advantage to submitting my primary to other schools in June? I don't see how besides like you mentioned Kaiser, because without an MCAT score, you're just throwing money at them.

Do you have a pre-Med advisor? I know sometimes they aren’t great, but it might be helpful to talk to them about your situation

Reactions: 3 users
Still haven't received a secondary from them and my app transmitted Jul 5th. I sent them an email (albeit through their Contact Us page) August 1st and called today with still no replies.

Anyone have the actual email address to share? I only seem to find the Contact Us page on their site.

Still haven't received a secondary from them and my app transmitted Jul 5th. I sent them an email (albeit through their Contact Us page) August 1st and called today with still no replies.

Anyone have the actual email address to share? I only seem to find the Contact Us page on their site.

I e-mailed them here: [email protected]

I believe Kaiser accepts the September score. They wont consider your app until the score becomes available.

This is a late application for any school. Unless you can realistically score a 518+, your chances of an acceptance this cycle are slim. Many schools require an MCAT before sending a secondary. Some schools may take 4 weeks before sending a secondary. Assuming you submit it day one, it can then take a month to review it. We are now in December, when the vast majority of interview invites have already been sent out. You might be able to get a late January interview date (if high stats), but more likely February or March (I have received an interview where the first available date is 3 months from now) .

As for Kaiser, I believe secondaries are due November 1st. Which means, they need to send you a secondary with 3 weeks (I think they send relatively quick). No one knows how they will select their class, so it may or may not be a good idea to submit).

Did you really not submit to any schools? I thought you had to select one school to submit it.

I'm not sure why you think you have to do it this year, you are better off applying next year. I waited, and I'm in my mid thirties.

DO cycle runs longer, so you might be fine there.

This is a late application for any school. Unless you can realistically score a 518+, your chances of an acceptance this cycle are slim. Many schools require an MCAT before sending a secondary. Some schools may take 4 weeks before sending a secondary. Assuming you submit it day one, it can then take a month to review it. We are now in December, when the vast majority of interview invites have already been sent out. You might be able to get a late January interview date (if high stats), but more likely February or March (I have received an interview where the first available date is 3 months from now) .

As for Kaiser, I believe secondaries are due November 1st. Which means, they need to send you a secondary with 3 weeks (I think they send relatively quick). No one knows how they will select their class, so it may or may not be a good idea to submit).

Did you really not submit to any schools? I thought you had to select one school to submit it.

I'm not sure why you think you have to do it this year, you are better off applying next year. I waited, and I'm in my mid-thirties.

DO cycle runs longer, so you might be fine there.

Okay, so I think I'm miscommunicating here. My primary application via AMCAS has been verified since June 17th since I only applied to one throwaway school for the purposes of verifying my application. Beyond that, I didn't submit to any other schools BECAUSE I WON'T HAVE AN MCAT SCORE UNTIL OCTOBER. From what I've read on these threads by Goro and others, there's no point in submitting a secondary application or even a primary UNLESS you have an MCAT score. We're in August now btw, not sure why you said December lol. I realize the deadlines for Kaiser as I just spoke to them on the phone less than 2 hours ago. I figure I should submit my primary to them specifically but I don't know how long it'll take them to go through it since we're in August now. But, do you think there's even a point in doing that since I don't have my MCAT score yet?

To be frank, I already took the MCAT once before, but this is my 3rd time studying for the MCAT and I have already put off applying for the past 2-3 years and am in my very early 30's. This isn't a 2nd career for me, I don't have much in my savings, and so time is of the essence for me. I'm sure you're okay with "applying next year" or later on, but that's your life experience, which is different from mine. This is the stage of my life that I'm in, and I'm realistic about my patience/abilities/what I'm willing to sacrifice/how much longer I'm willing to wait to get in versus you and everyone else. I have done more analyzing and ruminating than the majority of the pre-med population I dare to say hah. Thanks for the advice.

We're in August now btw, not sure why you said December lol.

August now. MCAT september. Results October. Complete early-mid october and youre in the back of a HUGE pile of people who had their app complete much sooner. By the time they look at you its December or later. Rolling admissions = fewer seats as time goes on.

I'm sure you're okay with "applying next year" or later on, but that's your life experience, which is different from mine. This is the stage of my life that I'm in, and I'm realistic about my patience/abilities/what I'm willing to sacrifice/how much longer I'm willing to wait to get in versus you and everyone else. I have done more analyzing and ruminating than the majority of the pre-med population I dare to say hah. Thanks for the advice.

I'm glad to hear you've taken some thought into this, however, its just a low chance especially if you are not in the financial position to do so. The app itself costs 40 and the secondary is 50. Can you gamble 40 bucks and up to a maximum of 90 if the MCAT score is good? Thats for you to decide brother. I hate to say it, but we arent the ones to make the decision for you.

It's just late as hell for all schools by October no matter MD or DO to where you have definitely handicapped yourself for this cycle.