2019-2020 Kaiser (Tyson)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone know if the new building is finished being constructed? Will interviews take place in the new building?
A representative from Kaiser came to my school to present on their new medical school - said interviews will include tours of the new building, but I remember her saying students will be given a hard hat to wear for this...so im assuming the building wont be done for a while

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Any chance you'd be willing to say if you're URM / ORM and give a brief overview of EC's? I really want an II to this school so I'd like to see how I stand up against those who already have one. :-D
ORM- mostly non-clinical volunteering, little research, PCP interest! (traditional, asian)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
ORM- mostly non-clinical volunteering, little research, PCP interest! (traditional, asian)
It's not looking good for us mediocre volunteering heavy research people o_O

Reactions: 1 users
It's not looking good for us mediocre volunteering heavy research people o_O
Don't lose hope! I know another student at a different college got an interview w/ 50 hours of volunteering but tons of research and good clinical!

I'm actually curious as to what the class profile will look like state wise. this person is from Virginia, i'm from Vermont, and both zero ties to california. we also had opposite applications EC wise which has stumped us as to what this school wants...

This is my first time applying and the #1 thing i've learned is what a crapshoot this process is.

Hey everyone, MS3 at Kaiser willing to answer any questions you might have!

• Haha
Reactions: 20 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A representative from Kaiser came to my school to present on their new medical school - said interviews will include tours of the new building, but I remember her saying students will be given a hard hat to wear for this...so im assuming the building wont be done for a while
The building isn't complete. I visited there in June when I took the MCAT. Lots of work left to finish.

This is actually pretty cool. The fact they have this and a working, smooth, well designed, and descriptive portal is awesome. Oh yeah, free tuition too.
I was hoping a curious bird's attention would be piqued and hilariously occlude the time lapse but it was still cool

does anyone know if the new building is finished being constructed? Will interviews take place in the new building?

I drive by the building almost everyday on my way home from work. It is not completed yet, and you will definitely need a hard hat if "touring" the builinding is part of the interview. On the bright side, it is in an awesome location! Lucky if I'm even considered for it. **fingers crossed**

Any ideas what the post II acceptance rate would be? Is that a bad question to ask at the interview lol

At some interviews they will have presentations by the dean or adcom and talk about this information. You could ask it during that time, but I wouldn't do it during any one-on-one conversations because they probably won't know.

Any ideas what the post II acceptance rate would be? Is that a bad question to ask at the interview lol
My thought is that it'll probably be low, considering the adcom doesn't know what they're going to get in terms of enrollment. They'll probably interview a lot of people to make sure they can fill the class. With only like 50 spots and free tuition who knows what the WL movement will be like either.

Just interviewed today. Signed an NDA so not gonna reveal any content of the actual interviews but staff was very welcoming, Pasadena is beautiful, interactive portions were dope. One of their staff members said they interview “several hundreds” of people. They said they will only have WL movement after April 30th

Reactions: 9 users
Im crying :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

@ayjaystudent were applying to be the first class that KP has ever had :D

He did say any question.
Just interviewed today. Signed an NDA so not gonna reveal any content of the actual interviews but staff was very welcoming, Pasadena is beautiful, interactive portions were dope. One of their staff members said they interview “several hundreds” of people. They said they will only have WL movement after April 30th

Several hundred for 50 spots? Damn.
Congrats on the interview though!

Did you get to see the new building? Any indication of what they’re looking for in an applicant?
Nope no tour. They said they were considering doing a hard hat sort of thing as someone in this thread alluded to but there's too much liability involved so they just showed us the same video virtual tour thats on their website. Everything they're looking for in an applicant is indicated on their website I believe

My application was marked complete on 8/05 and is still in queue to be reviewed. Any idea how long this takes?

Did you find the interview to be super tough or just a standard MMI? I'm sure you did great!

Did you find the interview to be super tough or just a standard MMI? I'm sure you did great!
Thanks brotha! This was my first interview actually so I’m not sure what a “standard MMI” entails but seemed to be consistent with what I was expecting. It’s also a hybrid interview, as they indicate on their website, and I was really grateful for the “traditional” portion and feel like that’s where I shined

@doa718 - Thanks! That's super helpful. I like how they do both types. I'm sure you did shine!

Can anyone give me some leading questions or brain jogging questions for the intellectual curiosity question. Really struggling with it for some reason :(

Can anyone give me some leading questions or brain jogging questions for the intellectual curiosity question. Really struggling with it for some reason :(

Learning a new language, photography, playing an instrument/singing, writing short stories/poetry etc

Is the "intellectual curiosity" the same as the "Lifelong Prompt"?

Nope no tour. They said they were considering doing a hard hat sort of thing as someone in this thread alluded to but there's too much liability involved so they just showed us the same video virtual tour thats on their website. Everything they're looking for in an applicant is indicated on their website I believe
did they discuss more about the curriculum?

did they discuss more about the curriculum?
Yes, although they made it clear that they are still figuring some things out in that regard.
Did they tell you when they would notify you of their decision?
They said they’re making decisions on a rolling basis but the earliest we could hear back is October 15th.

Reactions: 4 users
II received today. Complete 8/10.
LM 74

Edit:

Will they open up more interview dates? 10/10 is the only open date according to their calendar (I even went and checked up to May 2020 - no spots).

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
II received today. Complete 8/10.
LM 74

Edit:

Will they open up more interview dates? 10/10 is the only open date according to their calendar (I even went and checked up to May 2020 - no spots).

Hopefully! I emailed them about it because I have a different interview that day. I’ll let you know what they say.

Edit: they gave me the 17th and the wording seemed very much like “take it or leave it”

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, although they made it clear that they are still figuring some things out in that regard.

They said they’re making decisions on a rolling basis but the earliest we could hear back is October 15th.
Did they mention how many more interview dates they're having?

I know KP is new but does anybody kind of have a sense of the adcom activity trend? When adcom meets and the general turnaround times? you know the days we can expect the Rs to go out:rolleyes:

Does your status actually change? Mine's been complete and ready for review for a long time now.

what is kaiser's admission email address? i can't seem to find it online