2019-2020 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Joplin) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Current 3rd year at the Joplin campus. I'm happy to answer any questions you guys have. Best of luck in your applications!

Members don't see this ad :)

Omg, Im so sorry. Wrong thread. I am using my phone and guess I got my threads mixed up. Please delete that so no one will get the wrong message. Thanks

Hi everyone! Second year at the Joplin campus and happy to answer questions throughout the year. Good luck to those applying!

I'm a Joplin resident and have an interview for their campus next month, so let me know if you have any questions about the town and I'll try to answer

Anyone interviewing tomorrow (9/10) wanna grab dinner afterwards?

Hello, I had an interview at Joplin this week and I thought I'd share a very important tip for your stay!
I stayed at the Economic Inn right across the street from the campus. If you are deciding between Economic Inn or La Quinta, please choose the latter.
I chose it because of the price, however, I've been warned by multiple locals that it is the MOST dangerous motel in town!
I thought I'd drop by and share this info... Good luck everyone on your interviews, you will LOVEEE Joplin campus and the staffs there. Stay safe and have fun :)

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone interviewing tomorrow (9/10) wanna grab dinner afterwards?
CLUB 609, red onion, Woody's (gas station bbq) and infusion are the top recommendations I've heard from the locals!

Interviewed at Joplin last week. You guys, I LOVEEDDDDDD the school. There are SOOO many windows in the building and the whole architecture of that building itself gives a nice positive vibe of the campus. The students were VERY friendly and helpful. We got to try the white coat for sizes at the end of the day and they gave us a free t-shirt. Other than that, we talked a lot about tornadoes, especially the one from 2011. It seemed a lil scary since I am not used to them. In general, the school was amazing and got tons of warm vibes from being there. Joplin was bigger than I thought it would be. There are plenty of places to eat and people are friendly.

Reactions: 7 users
Interviewed at Joplin last week. You guys, I LOVEEDDDDDD the school. There are SOOO many windows in the building and the whole architecture of that building itself gives a nice positive vibe of the campus. The students were VERY friendly and helpful. We got to try the white coat for sizes at the end of the day and they gave us a free t-shirt. Other than that, we talked a lot about tornadoes, especially the one from 2011. It seemed a lil scary since I am not used to them. In general, the school was amazing and got tons of warm vibes from being there. Joplin was bigger than I thought it would be. There are plenty of places to eat and people are friendly.

Free T-Shirt?? Yesssssssss

Edit: Joplin is a great place! Growing up in Missouri, that poor town just gets pummeled with tornadoes. But, they’re a strong group and they always rebuild :) Glad to see the school is great!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone interviewing in Joplin this friday? I'm super excited cause the campus is within walking distance from my house. If anyone has questions about the town (and how awesome it is) don't hesitate to ask:)

I stayed at the Economic Inn right across the street from the campus. If you are deciding between Economic Inn or La Quinta, please choose the latter.
I chose it because of the price, however, I've been warned by multiple locals that it is the MOST dangerous motel in town!

May or may not have seen a drug deal go down there. Definitely have seen the police there. There was definitely a shooting there in the past year. Don't go there. Or do if you want a story.

I'm a Joplin resident and have an interview for their campus next month, so let me know if you have any questions about the town and I'll try to answer
This may sound super random, but I had a question about Joplin that's hard to infer from a google search. Im an avid runner and enjoy small town/ small knit communities where I can feel safe running through major parts of the city. Haven't had much success being a gym runner, and parks can sometimes be monotonous and even more dangerous. What is the crime like, are there many dog parks with frequent visitors, and what can you tell me about local coffee shops for studying?
I appreciate the feedback! @Wing&Aprayer maybe you could also give some insight?

Windows and natural light are vibesss. So excited, can't wait to interview. Being a Texas Resident I am excited my interview is in November and I can get a feel for the fall/winter weather.

Current 3rd year at the Joplin campus. I'm happy to answer any questions you guys have. Best of luck in your applications!
Hi all!

Hi there! I am trying to choose between the Joplin and Kansas City campus, so I am trying to learn more about them. I understand there are differences in the way that classes run (mandatory attendance, dress code, etc.), but aside from those, what else steered your decision to go to one campus (Joplin in your case) over the other? Thanks!

Dress code and attendance policies are the same on both campuses, whoever claimed they are different was mistaken. I'm a Joplin native, which really drove my decision. Also, Joplin has several good quality rotation sites for clinical years.

This may sound super random, but I had a question about Joplin that's hard to infer from a google search. Im an avid runner and enjoy small town/ small knit communities where I can feel safe running through major parts of the city. Haven't had much success being a gym runner, and parks can sometimes be monotonous and even more dangerous.
The local cross country teams run around town and are fine. You'll just need to plan a route that you like and make sure you know traffic conditions.

Accepted to Joplin campus today! Interviewed 9/11. Would love to connect with others who have been accepted as well :)

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Accepted on the 4th!! This is one of my
top choices but I’m just wondering can anyone tell me how long on average students are in class for?

I know western COMPNW only has its students sit in for lecture from 9-12 on average so I’m curious to see if Joplin is like that too.

If it is similar to what it was when I started, expect to be in class all morning (8 or 9 to noon) with labs in the afternoon 2-4 days a week.

If it is similar to what it was when I started, expect to be in class all morning (8 or 9 to noon) with labs in the afternoon 2-4 days a week.
yep, really hasn't changed. Will add weeks with anatomy lab have more lab time during the week then without

Anyone interviewing this Saturday at Joplin?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

If a current student could answer. How are the clinical research opportunities at nearby Mercy and Freeman?

Anyone heard back regarding 10/19 interview?

Hello everyone, first year student at Joplin campus.

@putmeincoach - I have seen a few announcements for various research opportunities in general, but I'm not particularly interest in research myself so I don't have very much insight in this area to share, perhaps another student can offer further insight.

Just a few general thoughts to share off the top of my head.
  • I am thoroughly impressed by the tremendous support first year students have received by upper class-men.
  • As previously mentioned the campus is gorgeous - looking out those beautiful windows this very moment.
  • 95% of lectures are recorded (attendance not required) = tremendous flexibility for a variety of learners.
  • Joplin offers most of the conveniences you would expect from a city (Hospitals, Shopping Mall, Sam's Club, endless food choices), but still has a "small town" feeling to it.
Happy to answer any questions. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone heard back regarding 10/19 interview?

I didn't know they gave Saturday Interviews. If you interviewed 10/19 you should contact the school. They said after 6 weeks you should contact if you have not received word back.

Helllooooo Future KCU- Joplin class of 2024! I'm planning to take a quick trip down to the Joplin campus over Christmas weekend (tentative), however, I was informed there wouldn't be anyone in the admissions office available to lead a tour. Does anyone know any current students that wouldn't mind giving a quick tour of the campus and sharing their experience studying at KCU- Joplin?

I interviewed in Kansas City, and unfortunately didn't digest any information presented about the Joplin campus. I'm somewhat confident that I'll be submitting the deposit, but I'd like to personally see the campus & city before the deposit due date (mid January). If anyone has any contacts they can share from the Joplin campus, that would be much appreciated!

I believe the campus might be closed during that time. There will be in the Spring an Accepted Students Day where you get a tour, and they go over a bunch of the details from interview day that you forgot (because let's be honest, you were focused on rocking your interview and doing well). I am sure there are other days that admissions can do tours as well. Also, most of us will be home for the holidays and/or avoiding school like the plague, since we will have just finished the semester. From my class alone, I am hearing people say they are leaving the day of or day after our last final to go home for the holidays.

Curriculum wise, it is the same between campuses. Location and building are obviously different and I understand wanting to see the area. I am sure many of us can answer questions of the area as well.

@DrLemon&Lime I will be staying in Joplin for break. I’ll check to see if the campus will be open at all.

Well, just paid my deposit

Reactions: 4 users
Well, just paid my deposit
If you don't mind me asking, what locked in your decision to attend KCU over any other school? Trying to weigh the pros/cons for KCU versus another school and its proving to be difficult..

Hello everyone, first year student at Joplin campus.

@putmeincoach - I have seen a few announcements for various research opportunities in general, but I'm not particularly interest in research myself so I don't have very much insight in this area to share, perhaps another student can offer further insight.

Just a few general thoughts to share off the top of my head.
  • I am thoroughly impressed by the tremendous support first year students have received by upper class-men.
  • As previously mentioned the campus is gorgeous - looking out those beautiful windows this very moment.
  • 95% of lectures are recorded (attendance not required) = tremendous flexibility for a variety of learners.
  • Joplin offers most of the conveniences you would expect from a city (Hospitals, Shopping Mall, Sam's Club, endless food choices), but still has a "small town" feeling to it.
Happy to answer any questions. Good luck!
I have some questions regarding KCU (and Joplin).
-What days are most exams on? How often are these exams/how much time in between them during the semester?
- How much time is given for board prep? Are there exams at all during the early time of prep?
- Is there an opportunity for group work within the curriculum?
- Do students start out with all the classes for that semester, or are they eased into the program at all?
- What is the availability of the SIM mannaquins? Are there opportunities outside of the required time to use that resource?
- Approachability of faculty? Availability on weekends if needed?
- What, if any, are the library amenities? Is printing free?
- What is the format of exams? Comprehensive, as in everything from the courses students are in is included on the exam, and then separated into the different topics after the exam? And are the topics separated into blocks, as in GI is learned in lecture and lab, and then Cardiovascular is learned in both after GI, etc?
- What is the dress code in lab?
Thank you! I know that was a lot of questions!

@T_1596 -

My responses in blue.

-What days are most exams on? How often are these exams/how much time in between them during the semester?
Often exams are on Monday, giving us the weekend to study, but not always. Even for weekday exams we typically get one or two open study days before hand. We have 2 types of classes, longitudinal and systems. Longitudinal classes are akin to your low pressure general ed classes in undergrad. They span the entire semester/year, having both mid-term and final exams as well as corresponding practical exams. We have 4 of that type this semester, which all very in work load, none of them are very difficult, however you must pass them all with a C or better. Our systems classes are a whole different story, this is where you will spend the bulk of your efforts and are reflective of the overwhelming aspect of medical school. Systems courses address specific knowledge areas (thus the name), such as anatomy, physiology, neurology, biochemistry, immunology etc. In my opinion the subject matter itself is not any more challenging than what you have likely already experienced in undergrad. What is different is the pace. Imagine condensing a year's worth of undergrad biochemistry AND immunology into just 4 weeks without reducing the actual content followed by a timed exam with 3rd and 4th order questions. This is where the "drinking from a fire-hydrant" analogy comes from, and why you cannot simply cram the night before an exam. Instead it's more like cramming everyday for 3-4 weeks.

- How much time is given for board prep? Are there exams at all during the early time of prep?
We get 2 months of dedicated board prep time at the end of our second year (most students who have already taken boards agree that 8 weeks is just about right for optimal retention). As I understand it, there are no other exams during that time and only minimal school related requirements/activities.

- Is there an opportunity for group work within the curriculum?
Yes, in general there is a tremendous amount of flexibility for various learning styles methods. In any lab setting you will work in groups of 2-6 students. When it comes to studying, most people are so busy trying to cover the material that there is little time left over for group study/collaboration.

- Do students start out with all the classes for that semester, or are they eased into the program at all?
There is no "easing" in. Everyone I know (including myself) struggled the first two or three weeks adjusting their own study method to the pace of medschool.

- What is the availability of the SIM mannaquins? Are there opportunities outside of the required time to use that resource?
Yes, there is designated tutor led time with SIMs any time we have a SIM related lab/exam. Also there are clubs through which you can access SIMs and various optional SIM activities offered during the year.

- Approachability of faculty? Availability on weekends if needed?
I would say the faculty in general is highly approachable and available. One challenging element here is the fact that some faculty are at the KC campus and some are in Joplin. You will have lectures prepared and delivered (live-stream) from both and we do have the ability to ask questions from either location during the lecture (nearly all lectures are recorded for later viewing). Some instructors from both campuses will visit the other campus for face to face questions.

- What, if any, are the library amenities? Is printing free?
In Joplin our library is small, but has a lot of study space. We do not have very many physical books, nearly everyone uses their I-pad or laptops to read and study. Printing is not free, but few people print very much. Keep in mind your study habits will change drastically. In undergrad I printed every set of lecture slides, highlighted, made notes, had a physical copy of each text etc. Now I do all of that on my I-pad. Imagine trying to carry around a year's worth of texts and paper notes for multiple classes with you everyday, that just doesn't work. Get used to using Onenote, Notability or Anki to keep and study your notes.

- What is the format of exams? Comprehensive, as in everything from the courses students are in is included on the exam, and then separated into the different topics after the exam? And are the topics separated into blocks, as in GI is learned in lecture and lab, and then Cardiovascular is learned in both after GI, etc?

Lecture exams are multiple-choice, taken on our I-pads using the Examplify app. They will very in length from roughly 40 to 140 questions with about 70- 90 sec. per question. They are comprehensive for the given section of material. There is some overlap between classes, but you are only tested on material specifically presented in the respective class. Additionally overlap occurs in classes involving labs (anatomy for example) where both lab and lecture material, but the instructors are pretty clear about what they expect you to know for each setting. The format of lab exams varies, in some cases you will perform an activity in front of a grader, in anatomy lab you will type in your answer using your I-pad.

- What is the dress code in lab?
Scrubs plus the provided lab coats, closed toed shoes.

I'll leave you with two additional comments.

One - be prepared to be happy with a C. In medschool you are among the best of the best students. After the first exam some people will be devastated that they didn't make an A. At the end of the semester those same people will be crying tears of joy for after receiving a C. GPA just doesn't have the same value in medical school and more importantly it is NOT highly relevant when it comes to competitive residency acceptance. Other factors such as Step 1 boards scores, LOR's and establishing relationships have far more bearing on residency placements. If you are aiming for a competitive residency, just try to be in the top 1/2 or maybe top 1/3 of your class otherwise just relax and pass.

Two - be prepared to adapt your study method to the pace of medschool. In undergrad I NEVER missed a lecture, I always printed all the lecture notes, highlighted and made hand notes during lecture. Now, out of necessity, I do NONE of that. Due to the time constraint I NEVER attend lecture and I NEVER highlight or write anything on paper. I spend ALL of my time watching recorded lectures (2x speed), reviewing the lecture slides/notes and making notes directly onto Anki cards for reviewing. (For those that are not familiar, Anki is a flash card app utilizing a spaced repetition algorithm for maximum retention). Everyone does it a little differently and many still attend lecture, my point is to emphasize that your study methods in undergrad may change drastically out of necessity to adapt to the pace of medschool.

Reactions: 5 users
Placed my deposit as well! Would love to connect with future students going here too

Reactions: 1 users
Are any of you in the Joplin fb group? I’d love to chat more on there- I am not on here a ton. Also @Datserati thank you for all of that info. It is extremely helpful!!!

Are any of you in the Joplin fb group? I’d love to chat more on there- I am not on here a ton. Also @Datserati thank you for all of that info. It is extremely helpful!!!
I am! DM me and we can connect in the Facebook page:)

Last edited:
Can any current students comment on how clerkships are set up at KCU?
How many are with residency programs (someone told me there is a rule that at least 1 must be with a residency program). Although I'm not really sure what that means to be honest...
Are our rotations scheduled for us while at the core site?
Do we have to pay for rotations?

Can any current KCU students comment on how to rotation sites/clerkships 3rd and 4th year are set up? It wasn't super clear when I was there so I would like some more input if there's much of a difference between KCU's approach and another school I am looking at.

Are the core rotations/clerkships scheduled for us?
Are the core rotation sites based on our selection, or are they a match system similar to residencies?
Do we have to pay for any rotations during the 3rd and 4th year clerkship times?

Can any current KCU students comment on how to rotation sites/clerkships 3rd and 4th year are set up? It wasn't super clear when I was there so I would like some more input if there's much of a difference between KCU's approach and another school I am looking at.

Are the core rotations/clerkships scheduled for us?
Are the core rotation sites based on our selection, or are they a match system similar to residencies?
Do we have to pay for any rotations during the 3rd and 4th year clerkship times?
3rd year you wont need to pay for anything. 4th year likely.

Core site selection is basically you select your list of 15. Most people get their 1st or 2nd choice. You can write an appeal letter for a certain site for financial, medical, or support systems

Interviewed 12/13 and was accepted. Actually surprised because my interview had a rough start

So I have paid my acceptance fee and have not done anything else since then. I also have not heard anything from KCU. What should I be doing? Should I do the background check and immunization stuff? Sorry if this is me being lazy, but how do I go about doing that. Thanks for your help.

So I have paid my acceptance fee and have not done anything else since then. I also have not heard anything from KCU. What should I be doing? Should I do the background check and immunization stuff? Sorry if this is me being lazy, but how do I go about doing that. Thanks for your help.
Get your titers done.

I do recall a long quiet spell, so that's pretty normal. I would carefully comb through any email correspondence you received from KCUMB, following your acceptance, it is easy to miss action items in your excitement. Also, you can always email admissions to verify if they are waiting on anything from you, make sure to be polite and professional.

As magus5454 said you should get your titers done. Most schools (including KCUMB) will require quantitative titers for immunizations such as HepB, Measles etc. At some point you will get a link to set up an account with Sentrymd.com who tracks all that information. If you have not had a Hep B vaccination, you need to start the series right away, it can take 6 months to complete the series which will need to be followed up by a titer. Your local health department or some pharmacies like Walgreen's can be good resources if you are paying out of pocket for immunizations. Also "Any Lab Test Now" will draw for titers without a referral from a doctor if you are going the independent route.

I do recall a long quiet spell, so that's pretty normal. I would carefully comb through any email correspondence you received from KCUMB, following your acceptance, it is easy to miss action items in your excitement. Also, you can always email admissions to verify if they are waiting on anything from you, make sure to be polite and professional.

As magus5454 said you should get your titers done. Most schools (including KCUMB) will require quantitative titers for immunizations such as HepB, Measles etc. At some point you will get a link to set up an account with Sentrymd.com who tracks all that information. If you have not had a Hep B vaccination, you need to start the series right away, it can take 6 months to complete the series which will need to be followed up by a titer. Your local health department or some pharmacies like Walgreen's can be good resources if you are paying out of pocket for immunizations. Also "Any Lab Test Now" will draw for titers without a referral from a doctor if you are going the independent route.
Insurance wont cover titers but all my vaccinations were(hep B, trap, HIB, etc)