2019-2020 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey prospective KCU students! I am an incoming 1st year at KCU-KC. I’ll be on this thread periodically to answer any questions you all have about the application cycle, questions about the school (as I learn more as a student), why I chose KCU over other acceptances, or really anything else you want to know. Good luck! This is a crazy process!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey prospective KCU students! I am an incoming 1st year at KCU-KC. I’ll be on this thread periodically to answer any questions you all have about the application cycle, questions about the school (as I learn more as a student), why I chose KCU over other acceptances, or really anything else you want to know. Good luck! This is a crazy process!
Would you mind sharing your stats? I haven't researched this school enough to know typical accepted data. Do you apply to the main campus and Joplin campus separately or simultaneously?

The average MCAT for both campuses was a 507 and the average GPA was roughly between a 3.5-3.6 if I remember correctly. The Joplin campus tends to have slightly higher stats due to less students being factored into the numbers.

Reactions: 1 users
Would you mind sharing your stats? I haven't researched this school enough to know typical accepted data. Do you apply to the main campus and Joplin campus separately or simultaneously?

In the app, you have to select your campus when you apply. You can put "either" and then they would just assign you to one.

Hey! So I had a 3.5/509. At accepted students day our avg was indeed a 507 and 3.57 as stated above. For timeline, I applied to only the KC campus. I submitted my aacomas 6/5, verified 6/11, received my secondary 8/1, submitted my secondary 8/5, interview invite on 8/28, interviewed 9/20, and was accepted 10/24. I was an early applicant and as you can see it is a long process! Good luck this cycle! If you have any other questions feel free to post them.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all, like Pharmd2MD92 I am also an incoming 1st year at KCU-KC and will try to answer as many questions as possible about the application, interview, ect. so feel free to post questions here or PM me if you'd like. Best of luck to everyone applying!

Freshly minted 2nd year at the Joplin campus. Any questions feel free to ask

Also incoming 1st-year at the KC campus! Happy to help as well with any questions with the application process!

I had a 3.4 cGPA and 3.2 sGPA with a 3.9 in my Master's program with a 505. I applied to both but was interviewed and accepted to the KC campus. You put your preference on the secondary application and I put both.

For the part where we need to explain campus choice, can I simply say both because I would like to maximize chances of admission? I don't really know the differences between the 2 campuses regardless

For the part where we need to explain campus choice, can I simply say both because I would like to maximize chances of admission? I don't really know the differences between the 2 campuses regardless
KC campus is in a bigger city, Joplin has newer facilities, and you could say you want to maximize your chances of an acceptance but you might want to add to that a little

Members don't see this ad :)
Incoming first year at KCU Joplin! Personally, I wouldn't recommend saying you are choosing 'either' to maximize the chance of admissions. It sounds better to say you like specific pros of each campus so much you can't choose. You want to make everything you write personal to you, and if you actually do end up having a preference they will ask you again in your interview.

I dont think I even put anything but glad I got Joplin

Hey! So I had a 3.5/509. At accepted students day our avg was indeed a 507 and 3.57 as stated above. For timeline, I applied to only the KC campus. I submitted my aacomas 6/5, verified 6/11, received my secondary 8/1, submitted my secondary 8/5, interview invite on 8/28, interviewed 9/20, and was accepted 10/24. I was an early applicant and as you can see it is a long process! Good luck this cycle! If you have any other questions feel free to post them.

That's quite a while in between AACOMAS verification and receiving the secondary! Do they do any sort of pre-secondary screen?

That's quite a while in between AACOMAS verification and receiving the secondary! Do they do any sort of pre-secondary screen?
As Magus5454 said, there is a pre-screen. The cutoffs are 3.25 cGPA and sGPA, and a 501 MCAT. In terms of time, that’s pretty typical of KCU. Our orientation is July 15th - 23rd, and our first day of class is the 29th. It seems like they like to completely wrap up one cycle before they start another. I know it can be tough, but it’s worth it! I had my first acceptance (at a different school) 5 days after I submitted my KCU secondary, but I’m happy with how everything worked out! Submit when you’re ready to submit your best application and reap the rewards!

Last edited:
The timing can vary, I submitted my primary app on 8/31, received my secondary on 9/7, my app was marked complete on 9/19, and I received my II on 10/25. In my secondary app email they told me I would have an II decision within 5 to 6 weeks of being marked complete. Also, my stats were cGPA/sGPA 3.85/3.82 and a 505 mcat

Jeez, that sounds incredibly fast. How early did you submit your secondary, and how many days later did you interview?
For KCU that is listed above. But for the school that accepted me on August 10th, I submitted my secondary on June 25th, marked complete July 5th, interview invite July 13th, interviewed August 3rd, and accepted the 10th. Some schools move incredibly fast. Others take their time.

For KCU that is listed above. But for the school that accepted me on August 10th, I submitted my secondary on June 25th, marked complete July 5th, interview invite July 13th, interviewed August 3rd, and accepted the 10th. Some schools move incredibly fast. Others take their time.

Ah, sorry I definitely misunderstood what you wrote. I thought for a second that in the span of 5 days you submitted your KCU secondary, got marked complete, got an invite, attended said invite, and got accepted. But i get what you're saying now haha.

Ah, sorry I definitely misunderstood what you wrote. I thought for a second that in the span of 5 days you submitted your KCU secondary, got marked complete, got an invite, attended said invite, and got accepted. But i get what you're saying now haha.
I see how that can be confusing! Haha. I edited it to make more sense to future readers. Lol

Just got an email from KCU-MB that they'd begin processing applications in July? Does this mean there's no secondary?

Just got an email from KCU-MB that they'd begin processing applications in July? Does this mean there's no secondary?
Can confirm this as well. I think there will still be a secondary, but they might have sent this email as most schools are aware of AACOMAS being slow right now. If so, they might be waiting to start sending out secondaries until July when they're sure the first batch of verified applicants have gotten their apps sent over.

You will definitely have a secondary. This email is just stating they will not start reviewing applications for pre-screen requirements until July. KCU historically does not start sending secondaries until late July.

Side note!! I know it is easy to get neurotic in this process! IF YOU ARE A KC ONLY APPLICANT like I was last year, you will probably be a couple weeks behind others on the interview invite trail and possibly even the secondary invite trail. Don’t get discouraged when others hear back before you. They have thousands of applications to review! Now hurry up and wait!

Reactions: 3 users
Got that email as well just now.

Does anyone know if we will have the option to change our preferred location later on? I selected both because I thought it would help my chances of admission but now realize I probably would only want to attend KC (tons of family nearby plus more job opportunities for SO)

Last edited:

Does anyone know if we will have the option to change our preferred location later on? I selected both because I thought it would help my chances of admission but now realize I probably would only want to attend KC (tons of family nearby plus more job opportunities for SO)
You could try contacting the school about it, or if you are selected to interview you could try to mention that you prefer the KC campus

After your interview, they said you can email them if you want to change but it might not make much of a difference. That's what they told me at least.

The website states:
"Letters must be dated within two years of matriculation year (i.e., if starting classes at KCU in August 2020, letters must be dated no earlier than May 2018)"

So I am restricted to using interolfio letters written in the past 12 months...? Or have to contact the LOR writers, have them reupload my LOR with a newer date to interfolio and specifically send it to KCU?
Any letter is fine as long as it is dated no earlier than May 2018, so if you have letters that are dated before than that (I.e. November 2017) you would have to contact your writers and have them reupload the letter with a newer date

Any idea when secondaries are sent out? I got the email that stated they received my app and started processing in July, but nothing since then.

Any idea when secondaries are sent out? I got the email that stated they received my app and started processing in July, but nothing since then.
same

Does anyone know if KCU-COM accepts Canadian/International students? I can't find any information on the website. Thank you!

Just got an email that they’re now processing my AACOMAS application to determine eligibility for a secondary application!

“Further communication will be forthcoming!”

Just got an email that they’re now processing my AACOMAS application to determine eligibility for a secondary application!

+1 here but I know I’m not getting a secondary because my MCAT is 3 months too old smh

Good luck to everyone else!

+1 here but I know I’m not getting a secondary because my MCAT is 3 months too old smh

Good luck to everyone else!
Yeah I had to retake mine for several schools

• Sad

No email here. Submitted my primary 6/26

The website states:
"Letters must be dated within two years of matriculation year (i.e., if starting classes at KCU in August 2020, letters must be dated no earlier than May 2018)"

So I am restricted to using interolfio letters written in the past 12 months...? Or have to contact the LOR writers, have them reupload my LOR with a newer date to interfolio and specifically send it to KCU?
If your letters were dated before May 18, 2018 then you'll need to contact your letter writers to have them them reload your LOR with a newer date to interfolio or send the updated letter to KCU. I wouldn't send the old (before May 2018) dated letters to KCU in addition to the newly dated letters.

I would love some more insight into what makes each campus distinct and unique. I'm having trouble picking between them. Thank you!