2019-2020 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would love some more insight into what makes each campus distinct and unique. I'm having trouble picking between them. Thank you!
I go to the Joplin campus.

The biggest difference between the campuses is the cities in which they reside. Joplin has a small(ish) town vibe while KC is KC. So if you want a big city experience and a surplus of things to do/places to see then KC is a better option. Also pertaining to the small vs big town is the cost of living-- I lived in a brand new 3 bedroom duplex 5-10 minutes from school last year for 400/month (2 roommates), and I would say this is basically the norm for housing here. KC will be more expensive on average. KC has more accessible travel via amtrak and an airport with more options (Joplin airport did just add some non-stop flights to bigger cities like Chicago though)

The school itself/opportunities-- Overall, KCU-Joplin has newer facilities. It's also all in one building which I like; however, some people are kind of turned off by this. I would say that on average, KC broadcasts more lectures to Joplin than vice versa. Both campuses have early clinical exposure via 'Score One for Health' now. I would say that if you want to get involved in research, you have a better chance at the KC campus (Joplin is partnering with MSSU for local research too) just because of its proximity to more university hospitals. As far as rotations go, Joplin students have the advantage here in my opinion-- Pretty much all of us will be able to rotate at 2 good hospitals in Joplin ("pretty much" because some students opt for one of the other rotation sites in their home state, etc) with residencies in one of those hospitals. I'm unsure if most KC students get to stay in KC or not, so I'll leave it to one of my classmates to elaborate on that.

Weather-- KC area gets much more snow. Joplin area gets more tornadoes. Pick your poison.

Lemme know if you have any other specific questions!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
I would love some more insight into what makes each campus distinct and unique. I'm having trouble picking between them. Thank you!
I am in incoming first-year at the KC campus, still going through orientation right now.

While I can’t comment on specifics of the Joplin campus, because I haven’t been there, I know they have newer facilities, and as another person wrote are located in one building. As far as the KC campus goes, I really like it so far, I like that it is in multiple buildings spread out over the campus, it’s just a cool feel. As far as the city goes, I am from the suburbs of a larger city, so I like downtown KC.

As for cost of living, I’m paying about $600 a month, however, a lot of students pay more than me, some over $1000 a month, but that really depends on how much money you have to spend and what kind of area you want to live in, because if you’re willing to look around for a little bit you can find a pretty good deal like I did.

For rotations I am not 100% sure, but from what I have heard, a little over half of the KC students get to remain in KC, but if any other current students have information on this please correct me if I’m wrong.

I feel that the main differences between the two campuses are really based on the city they’re in. As far as education goes it’s pretty much exactly the same, if you really really want to pursue research, KC would be better, but other than that I really think it comes down to the kind of place where you want to live.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received.
Unable to create account though - Its saying:
"The combination of CASID, First Name, and Last Name does not appear in our system. Contact admissions at 1-800-234-4847 and provide them with this message"

Anyone else having this issue.

Found the solution (from last year's thread).
Capitalize only the 1st letter of both names (1st and last)
How weirdly specific...

I initially capitalized all letters as I do that on ALL forms I fill out, online or paper, for legibility sake.

Secondary Questions @PapaGuava

Changed a bit from last year.

1) What are you currently doing to maintain your academic knowledge?
2) Describe a time when you had a personal failure. How did you move on from that experience?
3) We are often too busy to plan future activities. Describe a time when you were so busy you had to react to situations rather than plan for them.
2500 (~500 words) characters or less each.

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary Questions @PapaGuava

Changed a bit from last year.

2) Describe a time when you had a personal failure. How did you move on from that experience?
3) We are often too busy to plan future activities. Describe a time when you were so busy you had to react to situations rather than plan for them.

Confirmed

It wouldn't take my payment, anyone else have the same problem?

Also, lets see if they're true to their word in the secondary submission email saying I'll hear back in 5-7 business days lol

Also, lets see if they're true to their word in the secondary submission email saying I'll hear back in 5-7 business days lol
I had an interview invite two days after my secondary was turned in

Anytime the school gave me a time frame when they said they would get back to me they always kept too it, for secondary confirmation, pre-II decision, and post interview decision

Wow, as in you’ll get an II or rejection in 5-7 days?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats what they said

Looking through last year's thread, it seems like the first invites went out about 2 weeks after the first batch of applicants submitted their secondaries. So it seems like an optimistic promise, although it may be more accurate for those submitting later on.

Thats what they said
I think that means they will confirm your application is complete in 5-7 business days. When I applied I first got an application complete confirmation email, and in that email they said that I would have an interview decision within five weeks, then got my II about 4 weeks later. But the system may have changed, and I didn’t apply till late September.

For full disclosure, I got my secondary in mid November(didn't get one till new MCAT was scored) it actually landed in my spam box. II late Nov, interviewed Dec 7th, accepted Dec 15th

Did anyone else not get a secondary yet?

Reactions: 2 users
For full disclosure, I got my secondary in mid November(didn't get one till new MCAT was scored) it actually landed in my spam box. II late Nov, interviewed Dec 7th, accepted Dec 15th
I checked my spam folder like 15 times a day because of this. Anytime I saw an email from a school in their it gave me a heart attack lol.

+1 here but I know I’m not getting a secondary because my MCAT is 3 months too old smh

Good luck to everyone else!

Idk if they have rejected you yet, but there is someone in my class (C/O 2023) who took their MCAT in 2015 and they accepted it.

Edit: I know what the website says, and this is anecdotal evidence. But I wouldn’t completely count yourself out yet!

Idk if they have rejected you yet, but there is someone in my class (C/O 2023) who took their MCAT in 2015 and they accepted it.

Edit: I know what the website says, and this is anecdotal evidence. But I wouldn’t completely count yourself out yet!
Got the email about needing additional MCAT yesterday ahh

• Sad
Kind of a long post, but I know people will ask these questions/be neurotic about these topics.

If you are a KC campus ONLY applicant, your cycle will likely move slightly slower in the early stages of the cycle. Last year, the first KC campus interview date wasn’t until 9/20, and the first Joplin campus interview date was around 9/5. Naturally, they need to fill those first interview dates with either no preference candidates or Joplin preference candidates.

Note: if you’re a no preference applicant you can be accepted to either campus regardless of what campus you interview at. If you are a KC only applicant, you’ll interview at KC and vice versa for Joplin only.

Lastly, relax. When interview day comes around just be yourself. When I was on your side, I didn’t understand the new interview format. I immediately thought, well I need to explain myself! I need to do all these things to validate my acceptance! If you’re at an interview, you’re there for a reason! They saw something they liked about you. Having gone through this week of orientation I understand why the questions were what they were. A brief chat with our advisor may have influenced this understanding. NO, I will not discuss any of this with you. My only piece of advice is to be your most genuine self. Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
So anyone else's payment not going through? I've been trying and it won't redirect me to a receipt.

I wish they hadn’t changed the secondary. The first question just seems a little odd—but I get it. Doctors have to constantly be learning on their own. I still haven’t received the secondary, but I’m a KC only applicant. In-state.

I wish they hadn’t changed the secondary. The first question just seems a little odd—but I get it. Doctors have to constantly be learning on their own. I still haven’t received the secondary, but I’m a KC only applicant. In-state.

Yeah I graduate fall semester. What am I supposed to be doing during the spring? Get some academic material? Subscribe to an academic/medical magazine or newsletter? Lol I’m gonna enjoy my last year before going to medical school. Aside from taking a couple of classes fall semester I won’t be doing much. Interested to see how others approach this question.

Yeah I graduate fall semester. What am I supposed to be doing during the spring? Get some academic material? Subscribe to an academic/medical magazine or newsletter? Lol I’m gonna enjoy my last year before going to medical school. Aside from taking a couple of classes fall semester I won’t be doing much. Interested to see how others approach this question.
Yeah, I graduated December 2018, so I was like uhhh I’m just kinda chillin lol. I talked about reading mostly.

anyone still waiting on a secondary?

Reactions: 4 users
Still waiting. KC applicant only.

In last years thread, I think most received by August 1.

Secondary submitted! Last DO school that I received/submitted :) Good luck all!

Anyone else struggling with the first prompt? I just graduated so I’m not currently involved in anything academic-related...:shrug:

Anyone else struggling with the first prompt? I just graduated so I’m not currently involved in anything academic-related...:shrug:
Just say that. Or that you're looking for a job to put what you learned to use. Etc. Its not too bad. Just dont write utter bull****

Im an incoming first year and I didnt get a secondary until mid-September so don't stress if you werent in the first round of secondaries!

OOS, primary verified 5/28, still haven't received secondary

No clue how I'm gonna answer the prompts anyway so not worried yet!

Just got my secondary today!

OOS from California, this school is one of my top choices!

Secondary Received: 7/19
Secondary Submitted: 7/23
App Complete: Today! 7/24

Fingers crossed the turn around time will be as quick. Good luck to everyone applying.

Just got an email that they’re now processing my AACOMAS application to determine eligibility for a secondary application!

“Further communication will be forthcoming!”

+1 Today. KC only applicant, primary submitted mid-June.

Just got an email that they’re now processing my AACOMAS application to determine eligibility for a secondary application!

“Further communication will be forthcoming!”
+2

Just received the link to the secondary. Same day as the email stating they’d see if I met requirements.