2019-2020 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any letter of intent advice for those who are waitlisted?

I currently have a draft written that includes a few updates, thanking the school again, and my intent to attend if accepted. Anything else to include? It's also pretty brief right now.

If you've already written a draft, I'd just finish it up and send it in. If for some reason the last thing left for an ADCOM was "I wonder if this person would accept the offer I send them", you would've already clarified that for them.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
does anyone have any info on the apartments/house options? I have no idea how to find/rent a house when it's so far out. Also, any apartments that are good and/or ones to stay away from? Same with good/bad locations?

I tried to look through some old forums, but they may be dated given the rapid construction of new places

Reactions: 2 users
Honestly, do a lot of students get to do research at KCU or do some go out to UK or UMKC? I was hoping to get onto research in IM or gas or anything really. Also do M1s have the opportunity to get onto said research or is it mostly the summer after M1 and beyond?

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, do a lot of students get to do research at KCU or do some go out to UK or UMKC? I was hoping to get onto research in IM or gas or anything really. Also do M1s have the opportunity to get onto said research or is it mostly the summer after M1 and beyond?

I'm 1st year at KCU. Very few people in our class do research as MS1. We do have research on campus, but they are limited and not necessarily in high quality. Many just choose to do research at KU or Children's mercy hospital (which is a somewhat reputable research facility in the nation). Although the limited research spots for the students may have contributed to such a small body of students getting involved in research as MS1, i think the real reason for not getting involved in a research as KCU student is due to its rigorous curriculum... You probably heard the curriculum at KCU is really bad, yet you probably still think you can manage to do research & do well in school. I thought that too, until I actually experienced how dense the curriculum really is. It almost feels like as if this school really want to make sure we do not do anything else beside studying so we can maybe pass lol. But if you can manage, the research opportunities do exist.

Reactions: 3 users
You can always call or email them, then share your results here too.
A lot of schools including KCUMB sent secondaries though they were done with their interviews. This is a kind of robbery by these schools.

Haven't really looked through the immunization requirements yet but other than a TB test do I need to do any other testing if I have the documentation of vaccinations from my pediatrician?

Also, to the people living in Power & Light or Crossroads, how much do you guys pay and where?

Haven't really looked through the immunization requirements yet but other than a TB test do I need to do any other testing if I have the documentation of vaccinations from my pediatrician?

Also, to the people living in Power & Light or Crossroads, how much do you guys pay and where?

Regardless of vaccinations, you will need to have titer’s to prove that you are negative and also are immune.

Reactions: 1 users

I pay 1400 bucks for a pretty big one bedroom. I live about 4 blocks away from P&L

Members don't see this ad :)
That's kind of messed up. They took money for my supplemental after having finished giving out interviews?

Welcome to the world of applying to med school :/ this happened to me last year. I would still call to verify regarding your application, you never know what they might say.

Does anyone know if they are still interviewing?

I doubt they are still interviewing as they finished interviewing the candidates from the masters program approximately 2 weeks ago. However, this is anecdotal from my friend, so there may be some last minute interviews still.

Are there any current MS1s on the forum that could give me an example of the weekly schedule? Like how many hours per day you have to be physicially on campus. Thanks.

Are there any current MS1s on the forum that could give me an example of the weekly schedule? Like how many hours per day you have to be physicially on campus. Thanks.
There are a couple of posts on the previous page that give the examples you're looking for.

It depends on the block, but expect required lectures for bioethics, OS. Then you have OS lab, PCM lab, and anatomy lab if the block requires it. Then sprinkle in tests, SPs, etc

Withdrew my acceptance, hopefully it goes to one of you guys. Good luck with everything!

Any time frame idea for those from the masters who interviewed on 2/15? Thank you!

For current students at the KC campus, how much do you feel is reasonable to spend on rent for a 1 bedroom? Also, if you know any good places that don't have breed restrictions send them my way.

When is the new simulation lab going to be finished? Have they announced a date?

How do you know this? Asking for a friend who is in the master's program

I guess I should clarify so I don't cause a panic for your friend. It could be as early as this thurs/friday but it probably won't come out this week. The acceptances will go out during spring break or ~3/20. 3/20 seems more likely.

Does KCU host a match day event? Or does everyone just do their own thing that day?

quick question, did those accepted receive like a Sentry MD invite or do you sign up? I can't find where to go through all of that.

quick question, did those accepted receive like a Sentry MD invite or do you sign up? I can't find where to go through all of that.

I got an email a few days after my acceptance with information on how to do the Sentry MD stuff and pay the deposit.

For current students at the KC campus, how much do you feel is reasonable to spend on rent for a 1 bedroom? Also, if you know any good places that don't have breed restrictions send them my way.
800-1100 is pretty much the range for a good place that isn’t over priced. Not sure of places that don’t have breed restrictions but there are a lot of apartment complexes just north of the river that are well priced for what you get.

Hey for current students who use Kcu’s health insurance through BCBS, how much is it monthly and what do the benefits look like? Asking cause I might need a second surgery follow MS1 year

Has anyone else had trouble getting their Varicella titer to go through with Sentry? My primary has ordered three tests, attempting to provide proof that I am immune (which all three have shown this result) and Sentry will not accept the results. All of my other titers for measles, mumps, etc. went through just fine.

Has anyone else had trouble getting their Varicella titer to go through with Sentry? My primary has ordered three tests, attempting to provide proof that I am immune (which all three have shown this result) and Sentry will not accept the results. All of my other titers for measles, mumps, etc. went through just fine.

Is it quantitative results

Congrats to all accepted! Were all you interviewed at the last interview date?

Is it quantitative results

Update: I emailed Sentry and asked for further clarification. They needed a reference range from the lab, so if a "Varicella-Zoster virus DNA, Quantitative real time PCR" is ordered for you and it is rejected by Sentry, that is what they are needing.

Hopefully, this saves someone else a headache! :)

Update: I emailed Sentry and asked for further clarification. They needed a reference range from the lab, so if a "Varicella-Zoster virus DNA, Quantitative real time PCR" is ordered for you and it is rejected by Sentry, that is what they are needing.

Hopefully, this saves someone else a headache! :)

Thank you. I think it says it somewhere on the accepted student page or immunization page that the results have to be quantitative.

Thank you. I think it says it somewhere on the accepted student page or immunization page that the results have to be quantitative.

Yes, they do need to be quantitative, but the result for this test was <500 copies/mL and since the sensitivity for this test is only 500-2,000,000 copies/mL, numbers below 500 can't be obtained. Thus, the need for a reference range lol.

My primary and I have been scratching our heads for a month, trying to figure out the correct test to order. It ended up that the test was okay, but Sentry needed clarification on reference range.

Yes, they do need to be quantitative, but the result for this test was <500 copies/mL and since the sensitivity for this test is only 500-2,000,000 copies/mL, numbers below 500 can't be obtained. Thus, the need for a reference range lol.

My primary and I have been scratching our heads for a month, trying to figure out the correct test to order. It ended up that the test was okay, but Sentry needed clarification on reference range.

Ohhhh I see. Wow that's frustrating. Glad you got it figured out and thank you for the info.

Interviewed mid Feb and still haven't heard back. Is KCU done with interviews for the year? They sure are taking a while to accept/waitlist/reject me haha

Interviewed mid Feb and still haven't heard back. Is KCU done with interviews for the year? They sure are taking a while to accept/waitlist/reject me haha
If you interviewed in mid-February, it's only been 3-4 weeks. Be patient.

Found out I need to redo the HepB series, anyone in the same boat? Website mentions needing to have started these in February by the latest...