2019-2020 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Found out I need to redo the HepB series, anyone in the same boat? Website mentions needing to have started these in February by the latest...

Join the club! Just got my second Hep B shot last week.... My third one is due in August :cryi:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Join the club! Just got my second Hep B shot last week.... My third one is due in August :cryi:

Shoot. I know you can just have the first follow-up vaccine started to meet the May 1st deadline, but does anyone know anything about whether or not it's okay to not have the series finished by matriculation?

Shoot. I know you can just have the first follow-up vaccine started to meet the May 1st deadline, but does anyone know anything about whether or not it's okay to not have the series finished by matriculation?
I remember them saying at my interview that if you just have the series started that's okay, its a long process so I'm sure they will understand. Give admissions a call though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember them saying at my interview that if you just have the series started that's okay, its a long process so I'm sure they will understand. Give admissions a call though.

This is correct and it is stated in the Immunizations FAQ.

"The only documentation we need submitted by the deadline is the negative titer report, at least the first follow-up vaccine(s), and all other vaccine dates to show you are in compliance."

"The only documentation we need submitted by the deadline is the negative titer report, at least the first follow-up vaccine(s), and all other vaccine dates to show you are in compliance."

I found on this page (Health Requirement) it says "Note: The Hepatitis-B vaccination is administered in a series and may take four to six months to complete. Because students will have early clinical experience, this series must be completed prior to matriculation. University policy states that students must provide evidence they have completed the series before they can begin medical school. Applicants applying to medical school may find it necessary to begin the series prior to obtaining an offer of acceptance in order to meet the matriculation deadline. "

I did contact them via email, but they just responded with the May 1st deadline info, and I haven't gotten a response since asking about this policy. I may try to give them a call if they don't respond this week. I just wouldn't want to pester them too frequently in a short period haha

Interviewed mid Feb and still haven't heard back. Is KCU done with interviews for the year? They sure are taking a while to accept/waitlist/reject me haha

You'll probably find out March 19th/20th

Last edited:
Interviewed mid Feb and still haven't heard back. Is KCU done with interviews for the year? They sure are taking a while to accept/waitlist/reject me haha
Apparently not, I just got an interview invite for March 19th! That was unexpected...I'm local so I'll definitely make the trip even though it's a little bit last minute. I was on interview hold for months. Did not think I would still be on the interview trail mid March but I love this school. This is my 10th interview and I can't decide if I'm running out of gas or just getting in the groove :unsure: kind of both. Let's go KCU!

Apparently not, I just got an interview invite for March 19th! That was unexpected...I'm local so I'll definitely make the trip even though it's a little bit last minute. I was on interview hold for months. Did not think I would still be on the interview trail mid March but I love this school. This is my 10th interview and I can't decide if I'm running out of gas or just getting in the groove :unsure: kind of both. Let's go KCU!
hold on tight. i gave up after attending like 5-6. lmao

• Haha

I didn't finish mine till like October because I had to redo it

Reactions: 1 user
I have a titer report from 2015 that shows I’m immune to hepatitis b, will this work or is it too old?

Are there any current MS1s on the forum that could give me an example of the weekly schedule? Like how many hours per day you have to be physicially on campus. Thanks.

Fridays almost never require attendance except for exams. You will have to be on campus for sure every Wednesday and Thursdays 4 hours per day as this is where anatomy lab, OMM lab, PCM lab all get placed. Mondays/Tuesdays can be hit or miss - SP Encounters and PCM practicals get slotted here some weeks. Mondays used to be more skippable but they've started making a lot of the OMM lectures mandatory for some reason.

Reactions: 4 users
I have a titer report from 2015 that shows I’m immune to hepatitis b, will this work or is it too old?
Never mind, I sent the titer in and they accepted it so not too old I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the DO-MBA program available to KCU-Joplin students?

Also, is anyone on here in the MBA program that I could PM?

Is the DO-MBA program available to KCU-Joplin students?

Also, is anyone on here in the MBA program that I could PM?

I am not in the MBA program but yes Rockhurst comes down to Joplin and we have students enrolled.

The immunization paperwork is due May 1st right? I got a reminder email telling me to do it.

How is it with the DO workload?
Honestly not too bad. The really try to work with the school to develop a manageable schedule. The class this semester was scheduled for the second half of the semester for second years. But they opened it early so we could start and finish before dedicated. They try to be flexible too with the DO schedule and we only had to be in Joplin or KC for two weeks in the summer between first and second year and few days between second and third year.

Sent from my SM-G970U using SDN mobile

Honestly not too bad. The really try to work with the school to develop a manageable schedule. The class this semester was scheduled for the second half of the semester for second years. But they opened it early so we could start and finish before dedicated. They try to be flexible too with the DO schedule and we only had to be in Joplin or KC for two weeks in the summer between first and second year and few days between second and third year.

thank you! were you able to do anything between first-second year (travel, work, etc?) and would that mean you had to take your step 1 earlier than the june 30 date?

I want to hear some individual opinions of students currently in med school about how they feel on OMM.

Does it feel like it'll be useful or just another thing you're not going to use in the future?

I want to hear some individual opinions of students currently in med school about how they feel on OMM.

Does it feel like it'll be useful or just another thing you're not going to use in the future?
Some of it is useful, some of its absolute hogwash

Reactions: 4 users
I sincerely hope they don't cancel our accepted students day and instead just postpone it if necessary, but would understand if they did

I sincerely hope they don't cancel our accepted students day and instead just postpone it if necessary, but would understand if they did
yeah i agree. hopefully in a month the rates will decrease. it has been so for japan/china so hopefully we see that for the rest of the world come a month later.

yeah i agree. hopefully in a month the rates will decrease. it has been so for japan/china so hopefully we see that for the rest of the world come a month later.

Hopefully! My university and the other public universities in my state have concluded it best to switch to online-only classes for at least two weeks after spring break and will likely cancel our research conference but alas, it's for the greater good.

thank you! were you able to do anything between first-second year (travel, work, etc?) and would that mean you had to take your step 1 earlier than the june 30 date?
I was able to travel during June and go home no issue. I take boards this summer and I have to do it before the end of June where as the rest of the second years take it by mid July.

I just got an email from KCU saying that campus is off limits and I have to switch to online classes till at least March 31. Does that mean admissions will be delayed as well? I have so many questions. I'm in KCU's masters program that's why I got the email.

I just got an email from KCU saying that campus is off limits and I have to switch to online classes till at least March 31. Does that mean admissions will be delayed as well? I have so many questions. I'm in KCU's masters program that's why I got the email.
Same here!!!

After failing three titers, and enduring the pain of new shots from a medical assistant with what seemed like Parkinsons, I've decided I'm fed up with healthcare. I'm withdrawing my acceptance and, taking heavens sign of my lack of immunity, as direction to go lick some public toilets and wait for the corona to take me.

Reactions: 5 users
After failing three titers, and enduring the pain of new shots from a medical assistant with what seemed like Parkinsons, I've decided I'm fed up with healthcare. I'm withdrawing my acceptance and, taking heavens sign of my lack of immunity, as direction to go lick some public toilets and wait for the corona to take me.

You can always make it big by selling the antibodies your body will make if you survive through COVID-19. Counts as both a medical profession, lots of money, and a big EC.

I could see myself using stuff like muscle energy but a lot of it is just bizarre, and it sucks having to study for it especially at a school like KCU where your main classes keep you so busy already.

Bottom line: if MD is a realistic option, gun for it. If not, DO is better than not being a doctor for sure.

This is what I'm apprehensive about! I've gotten the HepB 3 vaccine series TWICE and I'm still not immune. I'm about to start my 3rd try in the next couple days. What doooooo?

This is what I'm apprehensive about! I've gotten the HepB 3 vaccine series TWICE and I'm still not immune. I'm about to start my 3rd try in the next couple days. What doooooo?
3 times?! I would contact the school.

Sounds like you're naturally an anti-vaxxer

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
They just cancelled my interview because of COVID 19. haha well that was fun for the several days it lasted! They will reschedule, but I mean it’s March...

Reactions: 2 users
They just cancelled my interview because of COVID 19. haha well that was fun for the several days it lasted! They will reschedule, but I mean it’s March...

They just cancelled the accepted students day too

Sorry guys. Both campuses are closing even to students until the 31st at the soonest. lectures will be virtual. They haven't disclosed how anything else will happen like our labs, etc.

Hello all,

Just a little confused. Since I am Canadian, I do not fill out the FAFSA, but I do I fill "KCU application for financial aid". And what forms if any do I need to fill out to receive my scholarship. I am pretty sure I don't have to have to fill out anything but just want to make sure with any other Canadians on here. Thanks!

for current students. anyone know around what time we will start to get information about orientation? i know it lists spring 2020 on the matriculation site but do you remember around what time last year that information went out
also do you have a list of the required medical equipment and how soon we need it by?

for current students. anyone know around what time we will start to get information about orientation? i know it lists spring 2020 on the matriculation site but do you remember around what time last year that information went out
also do you have a list of the required medical equipment and how soon we need it by?

You will get all the details about orientation probably by the end of this month/april. I believe we found out during second look day (sorry you guys' is canceled :(
You can expect it to probably be starting the third week of July. Ours was 1.5 weeks i believe??? I think we started on the 15th and went until the 23rd then started classes on 29th of July. So you guys will prob be about the same.

As for med equipment, there is zero rush. I think they sent out info during the summer but honestly you can just buy a used one from a first or second year for cheap and it will prob include EVERYTHING youll need. For sure you need an opthalmoscope, otoscope, reflex hammer, eye chart, tuning fork, and stethoscope and you can pick any of that up on amazon. The only thing i would recommend is to get a good stethoscope (obviously) and if you plan on doing mission work or work in under resourced areas to get the school's or another nice otoscope/opthalmoscope rather than amazon's because you will prob want to use it. For everyone else, you can find any of it on amazon, in a med store, or can buy used. SAVE YOUR MONEY.
You won't need any of the equipment until like the 3rd week of school and they are usually able to work with you if there are any delays because of money.

You will get all the details about orientation probably by the end of this month/april. I believe we found out during second look day (sorry you guys' is canceled :(
You can expect it to probably be starting the third week of July. Ours was 1.5 weeks i believe??? I think we started on the 15th and went until the 23rd then started classes on 29th of July. So you guys will prob be about the same.

As for med equipment, there is zero rush. I think they sent out info during the summer but honestly you can just buy a used one from a first or second year for cheap and it will prob include EVERYTHING youll need. For sure you need an opthalmoscope, otoscope, reflex hammer, eye chart, tuning fork, and stethoscope and you can pick any of that up on amazon. The only thing i would recommend is to get a good stethoscope (obviously) and if you plan on doing mission work or work in under resourced areas to get the school's or another nice otoscope/opthalmoscope rather than amazon's because you will prob want to use it. For everyone else, you can find any of it on amazon, in a med store, or can buy used. SAVE YOUR MONEY.
You won't need any of the equipment until like the 3rd week of school and they are usually able to work with you if there are any delays because of money.

To reiterate, definitely don't buy it from the campus store. I got all mine off amazon/ebay for literally half the cost of what it is in the campus store.

The biggest clue to the importance of the med kit was the fact that several second years were selling there's (minus stethoscope) to incoming first years.

Sorry for the confusion but is orientation truly 8-6 every day? Or is it just one or two days and some activities throughout the week?