2019-2020 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
class in med school so far that I didn’t get an A in... but with motivation at an all time low and GIGU all online, I have a feeling I may be taking an L in this class. Lol.
If you're willing to have a self defence weapon on you, why not just get an affordable handgun? It'll last for a long time. I'm pretty sure you don't even need a license to conceal carry in Missouri, you can even open carry like a madman haha. Unless, of course, you dont want one cause they do a lot more damage to others, which is reasonable enough.

I suggest this cause you dont have to be up close to use it like pepper spray or a taser, seems safer IMO.
You can't concealed carry on campus though right? You'd have to like leave it in your car so that is kinda out.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
If you're willing to have a self defence weapon on you, why not just get an affordable handgun? It'll last for a long time. I'm pretty sure you don't even need a license to conceal carry in Missouri, you can even open carry like a madman haha. Unless, of course, you dont want one cause they do a lot more damage to others, which is reasonable enough.

I suggest this cause you dont have to be up close to use it like pepper spray or a taser, seems safer IMO.
If I'm on campus and I see a gun, legit or otherwise, I'm calling security.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I'm on campus and I see a gun, legit or otherwise, I'm calling security.
You can't concealed carry on campus though right? You'd have to like leave it in your car so that is kinda out.

yeah i dont think i'll get a handgun. meh we'll see. i might get a rape whistle too

Correct, no license needed to conceal carry a firearm in Missouri.

Reactions: 1 user
You are not allowed to carry a firearm on campus, but you are allowed to have it in your car (when parked on campus). The campus itself is safe, security is all over the place and they will stand on the street by the parking lot during the business times of the day when students are arriving. If you want to carry it would be more for other places around KC, like if you like in a not so great area and have to walk to your car in the morning etc.

You are not allowed to carry a firearm on campus, but you are allowed to have it in your car (when parked on campus). The campus itself is safe, security is all over the place and they will stand on the street by the parking lot during the business times of the day when students are arriving. If you want to carry it would be more for other places around KC, like if you like in a not so great area and have to walk to your car in the morning etc.

Good point of not being able to bring it on campus. I was curious and checked the student conduct policy for KCU for what's allowed on campus (some schools allow you to have firearms), and found this:

1584665508592.png

Doesn't exactly say what they define as "weapons". Pretty sure tasers wouldn't be allowed, and pepper spray technically shouldn't if they're being vague like that, but security gives it haha, so it's fine.

For anyone curious, go to page 40 on this is the link. https://cdn.agilitycms.com/kansas-c...nts/admissions/KCU_Catalog_Handbook_19_20.pdf

Last edited:
Good point of not being able to bring it on campus. I was curious and checked the student conduct policy for KCU for what's allowed on campus (some schools allow you to have firearms), and found this:

View attachment 299083

Doesn't exactly say what they define as "weapons". Pretty sure tasers wouldn't be allowed, and pepper spray technically shouldn't if they're being vague like that, but security gives it haha, so it's fine.

For anyone curious, go to page 40 on this is the link. https://cdn.agilitycms.com/kansas-c...nts/admissions/KCU_Catalog_Handbook_19_20.pdf
Ya I’m not sure what they classify as a weapon, but you can always just ask security about it, I spoke to them during orientation and they told me keeping a firearm in your car is fine.

Just got news that my interview will be Friday the 27th, online. There will be a prompt with a written aspect and then a few one on one online interviews. Crazy.
Should I wear pants? What are we thinking?

Reactions: 2 users
Just got news that my interview will be Friday the 27th, online. There will be a prompt with a written aspect and then a few one on one online interviews. Crazy.

Wear a face mask to show how dedicated you are to safety.

Reactions: 5 users
No pants.

Reactions: 6 users

I’ll be taking my GIGU final without pants on, so I think it’ll be completely acceptable to interview in just your suit jacket. In fact, I haven’t worn pants for a week since we went online. It’s great. 10/10 recommend.

Reactions: 7 users
thank you all for the information! i’m probably not going to buy anything soon but will likely browse online during this social distancing period
anyone have recommendations for stethoscopes? i have looked at the littmann classic iii and cardiology iv, but was wondering if anyone (or the school) has recommendations

Just cancelled my April 18th wedding and I’m trying to keep my mind off that and onto other things. I’m also curious about which stethoscopes people chose and how they like them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just cancelled my April 18th wedding and I’m trying to keep my mind off that and onto other things. I’m also curious about which stethoscopes people chose and how they like them.
I was gifted a Littmann Classic III and I love it. Many have the Cardiology IV and love it too. You cant go wrong.

I also recently discovered that they carry smaller eartips to change out on the stethoscope and has made my stethoscope much more comfortable and easier to use.

Sent from my SM-G970U using SDN mobile

Does KCU have a requirement on the color of the stethoscope or can we chose any color? I see some schools require “professional” colors only.

I have the classic III. As mentioned, some people have the III and some have the cardio IV. I did a lot of research before deciding which one to buy and basically everyone said that the cardio IV wasn't necessary, because as a medical student you won't be able to decipher any of the "extra stuff" you might hear from using it anyways. That being said, if you don't care about spending the money and/or are getting it as a gift, get the cardio.

Does KCU have a requirement on the color of the stethoscope or can we chose any color? I see some schools require “professional” colors only.
No restrictions. People have every color and a lot of people even have the rainbow diaphragm/bell.

How did match day go for KCU?
Pretty good. See the first page of the match thread on the DO student sub-forum for a list of some of the self-reported matches on the Facebook group. We had some very impressive matches, including one into an EM program that has never taken a DO.

How did match day go for KCU?
Check out this thread DO Match List Thread 2020

Some highlights I've seen so far from KCU:

Anesthesia - Cleveland Clinic, WashU, UC Davis

Interventional Radiology - Cleveland Clinic

Dermatology - USF Morsani

Orthopedic Surgery - University of Nevada Las Vegas

EM - University of South Carolina (First DO in the program)

PM&R - Stanford

Overall seems like a really good match for KCU and DO's in general

Reactions: 6 users
Hey! For books/equipment, could we still wait til we get to campus during orientation and still be safe? i don't plan on buying anything early on.

Hey! For books/equipment, could we still wait til we get to campus during orientation and still be safe? i don't plan on buying anything early on.
Don't buy books unless you really want a hard copy, the library will have everything online for you and upper classmates will be able to give you pdf's of all the books you will use. And I wouldn't worry much about not having equipment until orientation, I don't think I bought half of my stuff until orientation

Do any med students have recommendations of stuff that would be helpful to read/learn about before starting? I know people say just enjoy your last few months of freedom before jumping off the deep end and I would be doing exactly that if everything wasn't shut down because of COVID. Nothing crazy intense, just an hour or so per day.

Do any med students have recommendations of stuff that would be helpful to read/learn about before starting? I know people say just enjoy your last few months of freedom before jumping off the deep end and I would be doing exactly that if everything wasn't shut down because of COVID. Nothing crazy intense, just an hour or so per day.

Nah. Do nothing sounds better than studying right now. Spend those time with your family/friends/SO. Time is not something you will have once school starts.

Reactions: 3 users
Don't study it won't do you any good, if anything just learn how to use Anki, get into a good schedule, workout, have fun, enjoy your free time

No. Seriously, nothing will help you. Agree with the above, if you plan on using Anki you can go ahead and download it and figure out how it works but other than that please don't do anything.

Don't study it won't do you any good, if anything just learn how to use Anki, get into a good schedule, workout, have fun, enjoy your free time

Definitely enjoying all the things I get to do during this quarantine period. If anything good has come out of it, I'm getting bare hours of gaming in.

Familiarizing yourself with Anki is never a bad thing. Dont study anything, if anything learn how to be strict about your scheduling, you'll like yourself more while in school

Definitely enjoying all the things I get to do during this quarantine period. If anything good has come out of it, I'm getting bare hours of gaming in.
This. I finally unboxed my PS4.

Reactions: 3 users
I learned sketchy micro and sketchy pharm using Anki during my spare time this year. :horns:
I don’t think I will have regrets about it, I enjoyed it and still had a relaxing year.

anyone noticed the decreasing number of their ortho match? and the two out three are in the school's sponsored program probably because many AOA ortho programs are shut down now

It's funny how a lot of people talk about Ortho, Derm, ENT and judge whole programs based on the numbers of these programs. Truth of the matter is, no matter what you are (MD, DO) it's freaking hard to match into these programs. So unless you're ready to bust your ass and work hard as hell in med school, you should not be worried about these numbers. If you are, you will match no matter what you are (MD or DO). Truth is, 99% of those who eagerly brag about wanting to be in these specialties because they are "competitive" change their mind when in med school because they realize how hard it is to get there and the amount of sacrifice and work that they need to do to get there, so just breath and know that if you want it, you will get it.

Sent from my SM-A530F using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
anyone knows what exactly financial priority deadline means? i don't think KCU has any need-based grant so it is only for those merit-based scholarships?

I might be missing something but I don't see the full class's match in that link, so it's possible there's more ortho than is listed?
yes but definitely less than previous years i think if not wrong KCU used to have two ortho programs but one does not continue the acgme, but still a very good match results

It's funny how a lot of people talk about Ortho, Derm, ENT and judge whole programs based on the numbers of these programs. Truth of the matter is, no matter what you are (MD, DO) it's freaking hard to match into these programs. So unless you're ready to bust your ass and work hard as hell in med school, you should not be worried about these numbers. If you are, you will match no matter what you are (MD or DO). Truth is, 99% of those who eagerly brag about wanting to be in these specialties because they are "competitive" change their mind when in med school because they realize how hard it is to get there and the amount of sacrifice and work that they need to do to get there, so just breath and know that if you want it, you will get it.

This is spot on. Do you know the work it takes to match ortho, MD or DO? There's a very small number of people that do it, and the school you go to literally has zero impact on how well you do it (when we're talking about all DO or all low-tier MD etc). Ortho is about you busting your butt, doing 5+ auditions, crazy networking, research years, killing Step, etc. A lot of people just don't want to do it.

• Love
This is spot on. Do you know the work it takes to match ortho, MD or DO? There's a very small number of people that do it, and the school you go to literally has zero impact on how well you do it (when we're talking about all DO or all low-tier MD etc). Ortho is about you busting your butt, doing 5+ auditions, crazy networking, research years, killing Step, etc. A lot of people just don't want to do it.

I agree. I thought I wanted to do Ortho or ENT throughout the college. And then I experienced the med school madness. Now I would be happy with low-mid tier univ. IM program. Still fairly competitive, but not to the caliber of Ortho/ENT.

yes but definitely less than previous years i think if not wrong KCU used to have two ortho programs but one does not continue the acgme, but still a very good match results
Its self reported so not all the matches are up yet. But still its ortho, crazy competitive and being a DO doesn't help, even if it is only 3 ortho total (one of them being at an MD school) I would say that the other matches so far make it a really good year.

Hi when it is said financial aid awards does that mean Stanford and plus loans? or the school has its own grant award also?
The financial aid award package should contain all the aid allotted to you by the school, which should include any institutional awards you may receive. I've heard that some people are notified of university scholarships with their acceptance letters, so I don't know what the odds are at this point of receiving anything other federal loans.

when did you fill out the Fafsa? do you know what priority deadline means?
The FAFSA priority deadline is different from when the school sends out financial aid awards. Drop the attitude.

To @futuredoctor123456789: Check out Financial Aid Process.
I filled out fafsa awhile back in October when it first came out which I'm guessing was way before any priority deadline/deadline they had. i haven't heard back yet from KCU about fin aid packets so that's why I'm asking

Withdrawing my acceptance to the Joplin campus. I hope it goes to one of yall