2019-2020 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

About the Ads

fldoctorgirl

M2 transplanted from the beach to the midwest
2+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2017
Status
Medical Student
It's funny how a lot of people talk about Ortho, Derm, ENT and judge whole programs based on the numbers of these programs. Truth of the matter is, no matter what you are (MD, DO) it's freaking hard to match into these programs. So unless you're ready to bust your ass and work hard as hell in med school, you should not be worried about these numbers. If you are, you will match no matter what you are (MD or DO). Truth is, 99% of those who eagerly brag about wanting to be in these specialties because they are "competitive" change their mind when in med school because they realize how hard it is to get there and the amount of sacrifice and work that they need to do to get there, so just breath and know that if you want it, you will get it.

Sent from my SM-A530F using SDN mobile
This is spot on. Do you know the work it takes to match ortho, MD or DO? There's a very small number of people that do it, and the school you go to literally has zero impact on how well you do it (when we're talking about all DO or all low-tier MD etc). Ortho is about you busting your butt, doing 5+ auditions, crazy networking, research years, killing Step, etc. A lot of people just don't want to do it.

Azmkv

2+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
This is spot on. Do you know the work it takes to match ortho, MD or DO? There's a very small number of people that do it, and the school you go to literally has zero impact on how well you do it (when we're talking about all DO or all low-tier MD etc). Ortho is about you busting your butt, doing 5+ auditions, crazy networking, research years, killing Step, etc. A lot of people just don't want to do it.
I agree. I thought I wanted to do Ortho or ENT throughout the college. And then I experienced the med school madness. Now I would be happy with low-mid tier univ. IM program. Still fairly competitive, but not to the caliber of Ortho/ENT.

Schwifty

Drinking from a fire hose
Gold Donor
Apr 9, 2018
USA
Status
Medical Student
yes but definitely less than previous years i think if not wrong KCU used to have two ortho programs but one does not continue the acgme, but still a very good match results
Its self reported so not all the matches are up yet. But still its ortho, crazy competitive and being a DO doesn't help, even if it is only 3 ortho total (one of them being at an MD school) I would say that the other matches so far make it a really good year.

Aug 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
does anyone know when financial aid packets come out?

Sephirakra

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Hi when it is said financial aid awards does that mean Stanford and plus loans? or the school has its own grant award also?
The financial aid award package should contain all the aid allotted to you by the school, which should include any institutional awards you may receive. I've heard that some people are notified of university scholarships with their acceptance letters, so I don't know what the odds are at this point of receiving anything other federal loans.

Aug 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
when did you fill out the Fafsa? do you know what priority deadline means?
The FAFSA priority deadline is different from when the school sends out financial aid awards. Drop the attitude.

To @futuredoctor123456789: Check out Financial Aid Process.
I filled out fafsa awhile back in October when it first came out which I'm guessing was way before any priority deadline/deadline they had. i haven't heard back yet from KCU about fin aid packets so that's why I'm asking

Aug 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
About the Ads
Apr 7, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi guys, I pop on here every now and then to see if anyone needs any advice. Feel free to message or reply back.
For those on the waitlist, it's still early in the game. There's going to be a lot of movement May- early July time.
For those who are just waiting for school to start, make some good memories w/ ur family and friends before medical school. You should reward yourself from all that stress and work you did during ur premed years.

Aug 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi guys, I pop on here every now and then to see if anyone needs any advice. Feel free to message or reply back.
For those on the waitlist, it's still early in the game. There's going to be a lot of movement May- early July time.
For those who are just waiting for school to start, make some good memories w/ ur family and friends before medical school. You should reward yourself from all that stress and work you did during ur premed years.
I had so many trips planned before school starts.. looks like everything is just gonna be pushed back til after med school.. yikes lol

Aug 19, 2018
US
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I had so many trips planned before school starts.. looks like everything is just gonna be pushed back til after med school.. yikes lol
Yeah I had plans to possibly travel to Europe to see my family there but yeah, don't think that's happening anytime soon.

Honestly if this pandemic lasts until the fall, how are we going to go about OMM and Anatomy lab, assuming KCU continues online instruction?

Aug 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah I had plans to possibly travel to Europe to see my family there but yeah, don't think that's happening anytime soon.

Honestly if this pandemic lasts until the fall, how are we going to go about OMM and Anatomy lab, assuming KCU continues online instruction?
+1 I had a trip to a few countries in Asia.. and lots of appointments.. #jesushelpus

fldoctorgirl

2+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Honestly if this pandemic lasts until the fall
Not to derail this thread with this discussion (you can find threads dedicated to it elsewhere), but it's highly unlikely that we remain in this situation through the fall. It would mean a total economic collapse, and more people would die from problems emerging from that (not having any money, depression, etc) than from the actual virus itself.

About the Ads
Aug 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical

Pharmd2MD92

MS-1
2+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2017
Status
Medical Student
how is that working with labs if you don't mind me asking?
As of right now, we don’t know. They are currently formulating a plan for this, as the previous plan just had them postponed. We still had 2 practicals for OS, 3 standardized patient encounters, and our clinical skills assessment. For anatomy labs, they were all cancelled and videos of the dissection were released. Our last practical will be picture-based.

Aug 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
As of right now, we don’t know. They are currently formulating a plan for this, as the previous plan just had them postponed. We still had 2 practicals for OS, 3 standardized patient encounters, and our clinical skills assessment. For anatomy labs, they were all cancelled and videos of the dissection were released. Our last practical will be picture-based.
I wish y'all the best of luck and hopefully something will be figured out! :)

About the Ads
Aug 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
hi all! can someone on the health insurance through KCU shoot me a msg? i had a few questions!

fldoctorgirl

2+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Our last practical will be picture-based.
Not sure if to be happy for you cause it's easy to memorize photos if they use the exact same photos they give you guys to study on the practical or cry from you cause it's harder to identify stuff without the bigger picture of the whole body.

Apr 12, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Dude why are you being so harsh. You got to chill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s one thing to be hopeful and say I hope we hear back this week. However, don’t say “you guys will hear back this week” for 3 weeks in a row. It’s obvious gropey_monkey didn’t interview that day. That’s giving other people false information without a source.

Pharmd2MD92

MS-1
2+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Not sure if to be happy for you cause it's easy to memorize photos if they use the exact same photos they give you guys to study on the practical or cry from you cause it's harder to identify stuff without the bigger picture of the whole body.
I’m very indifferent as well. We hardly got any dissection for this, so I imagine that alone will make it more difficult. I do think they’re trying to make it as straightforward as possible given the circumstances, unlike your GI practical last year lol. Who even knows at this point, though. A lot of us feel very lost, as I’m sure your class does as well.

Aug 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
y'all can we drop the negativity? it's really turning me off about this school. thanks, appreciate it :)

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
So I'm interviewing this Friday which is supposedly the last interview cohort. At this point, am I interviewing for a waitlist spot?
At this point in time, no, but just remember Adcoms do get pickier around now. Just be yourself and answer from the heart.

Pharmd2MD92

MS-1
2+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2017
Status
Medical Student
I’m just throwing this out there for anyone to read... if you’re a jerk, you will NOT fit in at KCU. And whatever pedestal you’ve put yourself on, the gauntlet that is medical school will chew you up and spit you out. You survive this place with your KCU family.

Apr 12, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi,

I was just tired of the person for trolling in this thread. Multiple times, the person posted "You will hear back this Friday". I've seen the person post that 3-4 times now. When I asked "how do you know", thinking that he might actually have a source, I did not get a response. But yet, the week after, he's on the thread again telling people, "you will hear back this Friday". In no way am I someone who is a jerk. I was just tired of the same person trolling on here.

Oct 19, 2018
Hi,

I was just tired of the person for trolling in this thread. Multiple times, the person posted "You will hear back this Friday". I've seen the person post that 3-4 times now. When I asked "how do you know", thinking that he might actually have a source, I did not get a response. But yet, the week after, he's on the thread again telling people, "you will hear back this Friday". In no way am I someone who is a jerk. I was just tired of the same person trolling on here.
So I went through the KCU-COM thread and saw when people interviewed and when they heard back. The average turnaround time was about 34 days with people hearing as early as 25ish days and as late as 40ish days. I used that to calculate when people from Feb 15th interview would LIKELY hear back.

34 days from 2/15 is 3/20 so I said it'll probably be the 19th/20th

40 days from 2/15 is 3/26 so I said it'll probably be this week.

TBH I was just doing this to help put you guys at ease but it seemed to rile you up instead so my bad for that. Just be patient and stay calm I'm sure you guys will hear back soon enough. Best of luck to everyone.

Aug 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi,

I interviewed November 22 or something and got the A email like right before/after Christmas ish so its on avg 30 days.

Reactions: aggie19

Pharmd2MD92

MS-1
2+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Hi,

No worries. I'm not directing any of that at you specifically. I've seen a lot of posts on this thread, and elsewhere on SDN, of people spreading negativity. During times like now where we're isolated from everyone, we are realizing how much we rely on our classmates. I more or less posted that for anyone who has any preconceived notion that they are better than anyone else (I am NOT saying that is you) or think its no big deal to spread negativity. If you want to think, "wow, that person is an idiot", feel free to do it. I do it all of the time, I just don't say it. Be kind to others. You never know what someone is going through and how something can affect someone. With that being said, I'm sorry if my post seemed directed at you specifically and offended you. More than ever we want to be surrounded with positivity. I wish you the best of luck!

About the Ads