Sep 7, 2019
Status
Medical Student
Because I haven't accepted the offer I have not been given any information as far as deadlines, when class starts, the status of orientation, if there is still a white coat ceremony... Anyone mind sending me a tentative fall schedule?

About the Ads
Sep 7, 2019
Status
Medical Student
I accepted my seat off the waitlist!

Now a rather silly question. I am scheduled to teach anatomy and physiology during the fall semester as an adjunct professor, online due to covid. (T/Th nights for a total of 3 hours a week). It'd give me an extra $600 a month and it's relevant to medical school. Is this doable? I completed my masters in a program that mimicked med school rigor with cadaver labs and the like and I definitely would have had the time then.

Am I insane for considering this? (I really don't want to leave the college I currently work for hanging).

TheMedicalMystery

2+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2017
Status
Medical Student
I accepted my seat off the waitlist!

Now a rather silly question. I am scheduled to teach anatomy and physiology during the fall semester as an adjunct professor, online due to covid. (T/Th nights for a total of 3 hours a week). It'd give me an extra $600 a month and it's relevant to medical school. Is this doable? I completed my masters in a program that mimicked med school rigor with cadaver labs and the like and I definitely would have had the time then.

Am I insane for considering this? (I really don't want to leave the college I currently work for hanging).
I don't think you're insane for considering this. The extra experience would set you apart for competitive residencies, however I think you mentioned earlier you are looking more into primary care?

Either way, plenty of people do research in their first 1-2 years of medical school which could amount to 10-20 hours/week depending on the specific research position. The only thing I would be weary of is how much time will creating the lesson plan and tutoring (if required) will add on to the hours you spend a week filling this roll. I was a teaching intern in undergrad and did not realize the "2 hours/week" that I signed up for was really 10-15 hours/week with lesson plan and tutoring added in.

I think if you are an organized person who is good with time management, then you should keep the position.

Sep 7, 2019
Status
Medical Student
I don't think you're insane for considering this. The extra experience would set you apart for competitive residencies, however I think you mentioned earlier you are looking more into primary care?

Either way, plenty of people do research in their first 1-2 years of medical school which could amount to 10-20 hours/week depending on the specific research position. The only thing I would be weary of is how much time will creating the lesson plan and tutoring (if required) will add on to the hours you spend a week filling this roll. I was a teaching intern in undergrad and did not realize the "2 hours/week" that I signed up for was really 10-15 hours/week with lesson plan and tutoring added in.

I think if you are an organized person who is good with time management, then you should keep the position.
I have been working for the school since the Spring and there are pre-formed lecture slides given to us from the publishers of the textbook we work with. It wouldn't need that much remodeling and I have one required "office hour" where students can ask questions. We also have instructional associates who work under us to teach concepts that students are having difficulties with. Overall, it wouldn't be an insane time commitment.

I am glad to hear this is a valid consideration. I really wouldn't have this opportunity to teach online if it hadn't been for the covid situation. An extra form of income can definitely make things less stressful.

TheMedicalMystery

2+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2017
Status
Medical Student
I have been working for the school since the Spring and there are pre-formed lecture slides given to us from the publishers of the textbook we work with. It wouldn't need that much remodeling and I have one required "office hour" where students can ask questions. We also have instructional associates who work under us to teach concepts that students are having difficulties with. Overall, it wouldn't be an insane time commitment.

I am glad to hear this is a valid consideration. I really wouldn't have this opportunity to teach online if it hadn't been for the covid situation. An extra form of income can definitely make things less stressful.
Oh I didn't realize it is online too. That saves even more time in not having to travel to campus. As someone who has been a tutor/instructor before, I would 100% take this opportunity because I love teaching and I'm sure you do too. Also the fact that you have the pre-made lectures and associates working under you... it seems like a no brainer in my mind lol. Good luck!

Pharmd2MD92

MS-2
2+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2017
Status
Medical Student

Tbh, first semester I felt like I was drowning. I was trying to go to every class and still study 50+ hours per week. It was exhausting. Once I figured out the most efficient way to study (for me), I had more free time than I knew what to do with. Some times I’d really push it as far as I could and see how little I could study and still swing an A in the class. If you think you have your study method down, especially with everything online, you should be able to pull it off. As others have said, it’s a unique opportunities and will add to your CV.

Aug 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical

i wonder how we go about finding research at KCU during the first semester..

Reactions: pink_floyd

TheMedicalMystery

2+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2017
Status
Medical Student
i wonder how we go about finding research at KCU during the first semester..
What I have done thus far is look up research projects that I'm interested in within Kansas City. I'm going to email the PI's and tell them a little about myself and why I want to work with them. It's worth a shot.

Aug 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey y'all! I'm interested in doing research at KCU but wanted to also make sure that I'm able to handle my course load. would it be smart to start off first semester with a research project? and also, how did y'all go about searching for research for the year? i already got started with finding something for next summer but wanted to match into a competitive specialty so i wanted to get more on my plate.

About the Ads
Aug 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Just accepted off the wait list! Any recommendations on last minute housing/safe areas in the city?
i would say the landing, altitude 970, or union hill! congrats!

indiRanger

2+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2017
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Hey y'all! I'm interested in doing research at KCU but wanted to also make sure that I'm able to handle my course load. would it be smart to start off first semester with a research project? and also, how did y'all go about searching for research for the year? i already got started with finding something for next summer but wanted to match into a competitive specialty so i wanted to get more on my plate.
I would not start first semester with a project. I would wait tilll half way through once you get the hang of things and the pace of med school

Sep 7, 2019
Status
Medical Student
Does anyone know how late classes/labs may be in the fall? I looked at our schedule and it isn't time-specific.
I am contacting my employer today about teaching the online anatomy class I spoke of for the college I currently work for. The class I would teach would start at 6pm and I want to make sure I wouldn't have any scheduling conflicts. Can past students perhaps speak on this schedule?

fldoctorgirl

M3 transplanted from the beach to the midwest
2+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Does anyone know how late classes/labs may be in the fall? I looked at our schedule and it isn't time-specific.
I am contacting my employer today about teaching the online anatomy class I spoke of for the college I currently work for. The class I would teach would start at 6pm and I want to make sure I wouldn't have any scheduling conflicts. Can past students perhaps speak on this schedule?
Never past 5. And never before 8am.

BellaWriterChic

5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Thank you!

On another note, does anyone have a medkit they are trying to sell? :)
I did not see which campus you were accepted to (congrats btw!) but each campus has a Buy/Sell Group. That would be a place to look for anyone selling Med Kits, books, furniture, etc

Sep 7, 2019
Status
Medical Student
I did not see which campus you were accepted to (congrats btw!) but each campus has a Buy/Sell Group. That would be a place to look for anyone selling Med Kits, books, furniture, etc
Thanks! Would you happen to know an acceptable price to purchase a used medkit? I know they can get pretty expensive when you purchase new.

About the Ads

BellaWriterChic

5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Thanks! Would you happen to know an acceptable price to purchase a used medkit? I know they can get pretty expensive when you purchase new.
I think i have seen some selling theirs for around $500 without the stethoscope, which is what most paid when they got it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using SDN mobile

itsreal86

2+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Just accepted off the wait list! Any recommendations on last minute housing/safe areas in the city?
I recently went with The Heights at Linden Square, a little far from campus (15 minute drive) but it fit my preferences and I think it is worth considering. I am an incoming MS1 so have no experience living there tho. CT is very popular and convenient as well for KCU students.

Aug 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I recently went with The Heights at Linden Square, a little far from campus (15 minute drive) but it fit my preferences and I think it is worth considering. I am an incoming MS1 so have no experience living there tho. CT is very popular and convenient as well for KCU students.
i can ditto on this, i loved the heights also! i ended up going somewhere closer to campus but the heights was def on my list!

Nov 2, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey all! I didn't get an email about this but was coincidentally checking the Orientation page, and it looks like they have updated it!
It says we will get a drive-though welcome on the 13th and we'll get a welcome box. It also says we need to do an IT training through the single-sign-on portal before school starts.

BellaWriterChic

5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I prefer blackboard to Canvas; so, part of me isn't looking forward to canvas.

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile
We used to have blackboard but honestly canvas has been much smoother. I had only used blackboard before last year and I am so glad we switched

Aug 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
i didn't get the email about not getting our white coat but i also got the email about orientation and the stuff we had to buy for the OMM thing. kinda upset about our white coat though.

Reactions: LilButterFriend
Nov 2, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
i didn't get the email about not getting our white coat but i also got the email about orientation and the stuff we had to buy for the OMM thing. kinda upset about our white coat though.
Me too! I think we will get more pomp and circumstance by delaying it and having a real ceremony than by doing it virtually, but it still would have been nice! The family wants pictures... :bag:

About the Ads
Aug 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Me too! I think we will get more pomp and circumstance by delaying it and having a real ceremony than by doing it virtually, but it still would have been nice! The family wants pictures... :bag:
Yeah I wish we got our white coats though for the time being until our ceremony

Reactions: LilButterFriend

FrequentFlyer123

2+ Year Member
May 3, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
We used to have blackboard but honestly canvas has been much smoother. I had only used blackboard before last year and I am so glad we switched

I'm biased because I've only worked with canvas, but I've used it on both the student side and the educator side of it this past year when I was teaching and it's amazing IMO, there's a small learning curve but the interface lays out all your assignments so clearly & the support system is great. Even during the pandemic when we switched to remote I was able to reach someone in 15 minutes which was like record breaking.

May 14, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
Can someone help me out here :( I'm trying to decide between living in North KC or Downtown. The tradeoff is larger space vs being close to campus. I am a homebody who studies at home, so my space is super important, at the same time though, I know being close to campus is so convenient. If I lived in North KC, I'd be 15 min away which is nothing to me, but I wonder if down the line I'll regret being further away. Is there any traffic at all? Any insights?

Aug 9, 2018
Can someone help me out here :( I'm trying to decide between living in North KC or Downtown. The tradeoff is larger space vs being close to campus. I am a homebody who studies at home, so my space is super important, at the same time though, I know being close to campus is so convenient. If I lived in North KC, I'd be 15 min away which is nothing to me, but I wonder if down the line I'll regret being further away. Is there any traffic at all? Any insights?
Cool thing about downtown is that it's the downtown of a moderate sized city. If you want the extra convenience of being closer to school plus the fun experience of being down there.

Jun 3, 2019
Status
Traffic is dismal in KC. I would choose north Kansas City myself. But that probably wont happen since I haven't been pulled from the waitlist.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
i chose being away from downtown bc i don't like noise so i chose north KC. and i like walking / running / biking outside and that would be a struggle in downtown. also its cheaper and the space is bigger outside of downtown.

Reactions: Scribbler17
Aug 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical

bioarchaeologist

MS2
5+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2015
The Temple of Zoom
Status
Medical Student
i live 15 minutes away from campus (not downtown) and I love it. My neighborhood is super quiet and safe and I'm close to the grocery stores/restaurants. Traffic isn't a major concern here as it is in other cities. My friends who live downtown complain about being far from decent/cheap grocery stores and the noise during the Chiefs game/if there was anything happening downtown was apparently pretty annoying. I never hear anything other than occasional sirens.

Aug 19, 2018
US
Status
I chose North KC as well because the apartments were generally bigger and my fiancee is coming down with me. So if you're looking to room with someone, it makes sense to get some extra space. I don't mind the 13-15 minute drive to campus since I did it during my undergrad and we aren't required to be on campus 24/7 (even more so now)

About the Ads