BellaWriterChic

5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Good, you guys are talking about driving. How would one who lives OOS register his vehicle in Missouri?
I never changed my registration. My license is still my parents' address as my permanent address. I still drive with an OOS/non-Missouri plate

BobbyKoch

2+ Year Member
May 13, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Good, you guys are talking about driving. How would one who lives OOS register his vehicle in Missouri?

Check and see what your insurance will cost first. My registration was expiring in my home state so I went ahead and got my car registered in MO and my insurance doubled.

About the Ads
Aug 9, 2018

Check and see what your insurance will cost first. My registration was expiring in my home state so I went ahead and got my car registered in MO and my insurance doubled.
How much are you guys paying for insurance? I heard there's some cheap insurance companies like safeco and missouri farm bureau. Any insight? Worried about paying too much because of young driver.

bioarchaeologist

MS2
5+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2015
The Temple of Zoom
Status
Medical Student
I asked the MO DMV about this and they told me that I didn't have to change my registration since I don't work in MO. I kept my registration from my home state and still drive around with my old plate and so does a lot of my classmates. Registration here is a bit of a pain and I was told to pay a third party company to handle it for you by some locals lol.

BobbyKoch

2+ Year Member
May 13, 2017
Status
Medical Student
I asked the MO DMV about this and they told me that I didn't have to change my registration since I don't work in MO. I kept my registration from my home state and still drive around with my old plate and so does a lot of my classmates. Registration here is a bit of a pain and I was told to pay a third party company to handle it for you by some locals lol.
It took me 5 hours and trips to three different places. 10/10 would pay someone to do it

itsreal86

2+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Any Canadian who have gone through the registering process. I plan on bringing my current vehicle, registering it, getting a Missouri license and car insurance, but if there is a way to avoid some of those (I will have to at least get a license and insurance), or go through a simpler process, please let me know. Thanks!

Also, they have posted the textbook list for first year, so can we find most of them online or will the link with all the PDFs be available somewhere when classes start? Thanks to all the current students helping us out, we really appreciate it! :)

Aug 9, 2018
Any Canadian who have gone through the registering process. I plan on bringing my current vehicle, registering it, getting a Missouri license and car insurance, but if there is a way to avoid some of those (I will have to at least get a license and insurance), or go through a simpler process, please let me know. Thanks!
Importing a vehicle is a hassle. Gotta get a letter regarding the car's emissions, possibly pay duty (2.5% on value of car), pay for registration/titling/licensing, get a Missouri drivers license from scratch (dont care you have a canadian one), likely a new american insurance, and probably some more stuff I dont remember from the top of my head. I also believe there's a yearly property tax on vehicles in Missouri.

Your other choice is to simply not import the vehicle and continue using canadian stuff for the 4 years as a student since it's legal to do so in the states, but I dont know if canadian insurances are going to be okay with that.

Reactions: itsreal86

itsreal86

2+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Importing a vehicle is a hassle. Gotta get a letter regarding the car's emissions, possibly pay duty (2.5% on value of car), pay for registration/titling/licensing, get a Missouri drivers license from scratch (dont care you have a canadian one), likely a new american insurance, and probably some more stuff I dont remember from the top of my head. I also believe there's a yearly property tax on vehicles in Missouri.

Your other choice is to simply not import the vehicle and continue using canadian stuff for the 4 years as a student since it's legal to do so in the states, but I dont know if canadian insurances are going to be okay with that.
Thanks for the info! I did get the info you mentioned, but unfortunately, my insurance will only cover me here for 30 days. Looks like I will to go through ll the hassle lol, gonna be a pain to do this during the pandemic, let's hope it's not too bad. :xf:

Aug 9, 2018
Thanks for the info! I did get the info you mentioned, but unfortunately, my insurance will only cover me here for 30 days. Looks like I will to go through ll the hassle lol, gonna be a pain to do this during the pandemic, let's hope it's not too bad. :xf:
Keep in mind that if your vehicle is some sort of "canada specific" version, if something breaks down, getting the part might not be possible in the US without importing the part, and I think because of that, some insurances charge even more for canadian imported vehicles. If it still has any warranty or deal on oil changes, you won't be able to use it in the US.

There's even a decent chance that just getting a vehicle in the US might actually be more worthwhile. Insurance looks a bit pricy in KCMO either way.

Last edited:

itsreal86

2+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Keep in mind that if your vehicle is some sort of "canada specific" version, if something breaks down, getting the part might not be possible in the US without importing the part, and I think because of that, some insurances charge even more for canadian imported vehicles. If it still has any warranty or deal on oil changes, you won't be able to use it in the US.

There's even a decent chance that just getting a vehicle in the US might actually be more worthwhile. Insurance looks a bit pricy in KCMO either way.
Thanks for the info! Unfortunately, I just can't afford to buy a new vehicle at the moment. Just gonna have to go there, get it registered and do the road test there.

Last edited:
About the Ads
Aug 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi everyone! Just got my acceptance letter from KCU today. Is anyone looking for roommates? I'm a female and open to anywhere that's within walking distance to the campus.
congrats, and welcome to the fam!!

liberationacist

5+ Year Member
May 6, 2014
So excited, you don't even know! KCU-Joplin was my first choice, but I feel like I'm so behind compared to classmates at this point with paperwork and scrambling to get things done. Any affordable furniture places in Joplin that y'all know of that's not Walmart/Target? I'm in Boston so a U-Haul is out of the question at this point.

Also, I heard a rumor that students get iPads? Is that the case?

BellaWriterChic

5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
So excited, you don't even know! KCU-Joplin was my first choice, but I feel like I'm so behind compared to classmates at this point with paperwork and scrambling to get things done. Any affordable furniture places in Joplin that y'all know of that's not Walmart/Target? I'm in Boston so a U-Haul is out of the question at this point.

Yes you get ipads! And I am sure admissions knows you will need some time to get the paperwork together.

I used Furniture Row and ordered from a location close to my hometown and delivered it to the Joplin location for delivery. There is also Ashley Furniture and a few local chains i cannot remember off the top of my head, but they had some good pieces too.

Congrats!!

Aug 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
this might be a dumb question but how do you download anki decks? I'm on the reddit page but cant seem to figure out how to download the AnKing deck, lolnotacop etc. can someone DM me?

Reactions: medstudent_2024
Aug 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
this might be a dumb question but how do you download anki decks? I'm on the reddit page but cant seem to figure out how to download the AnKing deck, lolnotacop etc. can someone DM me?
jk i think i figured it out

About the Ads

medstudent_2024

Eager Med Student
Feb 13, 2020
Status
Medical Student

I’m on the Joplin campus and I’m using wayfair! They are working with FedEx so my furniture arrives in a timely manner. They have been great so far.

Aug 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I’m on the Joplin campus and I’m using wayfair! They are working with FedEx so my furniture arrives in a timely manner. They have been great so far.
I'm using amazon but gotta time shipment so stuff doesn't arrive before i get to move in

Aug 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Definitely let me know if you still have any anki questions! I’m working through anki now as well!!
i legit went on the anki lounge on credit and downloaded all the decks! hahaha I'm gonna suspend them all and unsuspend as classes come up.

Aug 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Joplin has a GroupMe and a discord, KC is using slack and I think they have GroupMe? I would recommend joining your campus FB group and you can find all of those links!
yeah KC has a groupme and we use slack. groupme as become very inactive as were all on slack

Jun 30, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I ordered many things via Amazon and ordered my furniture online to be delivered. For furniture, I primarily used overstock, wayfair, and Nebraska Furniture Market in Kansas City. I am only bringing what I can fit in my car.

Jul 30, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I ordered many things via Amazon and ordered my furniture online to be delivered. For furniture, I primarily used overstock, wayfair, and Nebraska Furniture Market in Kansas City. I am only bringing what I can fit in my car.
KC has an IKEA nearby. And honestly all i need is a desk and mattress Walmart has some amazing deals for desk all less than 50 bucks

Aug 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Generally, the basics are best, but I am a notorious over packer! KC also has a Container Store, which is amazing.
i overpack too.... smh. i have 4 luggage of clothes (not including winter clothes)

theletterB

2+ Year Member
May 31, 2018
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
How much are you guys paying for insurance? I heard there's some cheap insurance companies like safeco and missouri farm bureau. Any insight? Worried about paying too much because of young driver.
Safeco is great I’d suggest them. They can tell you what all they consider when they give you your premium estimate and if young driver makes it skyrocket or not

About the Ads