2019-2020 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How much are you guys paying for insurance? I heard there's some cheap insurance companies like safeco and missouri farm bureau. Any insight? Worried about paying too much because of young driver.
Safeco is great I’d suggest them. They can tell you what all they consider when they give you your premium estimate and if young driver makes it skyrocket or not

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone post a link of the 20-21 catalog handbook? Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Have they released a schedule for classes yet or will that be during orientation?

I had to give up my Joplin seat last minute. I hope that makes someone on the waitlist very very happy.

Reactions: 2 users
I had to give up my Joplin seat last minute. I hope that makes someone on the waitlist very very happy.
Whoever you are, thank you! Accepted off waitlist today to Joplin lol

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Kansas City students:
I have a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom apartment in Century Towers (right across from the school) if anyone is still looking! It's on the 10th floor so it has an amazing view of the city skyline. PM if interested.

Since orientation is completely online now, anyone get access to the drive with books? Trying to find them online but it is tough to find a lot of them

Since orientation is completely online now, anyone get access to the drive with books? Trying to find them online but it is tough to find a lot of them
Ask around in your class groupme, I think a few students have one by now

Thanks! Any suggestions on what books we should get that are not on the list or what books we should get a hard copy of?

Thanks! Any suggestions on what books we should get that are not on the list or what books we should get a hard copy of?

The only book that is necessary I think is Olinger's anatomy book, especially if they will use that for lab exams etc. (they did for GIGU block for me, because it was when quarantine started), and I do not know if they will use donor pictures or just Olinger book pictures for your class. Another book that is pretty helpful is BRS physio. other than that, class notes is more than enough to do well. Also, I think getting a hard copy of both books I mentioned is unnecessary. perhaps First aid hard copy is a good to have.

I wouldn't get a hard copy of anything, its nice to be able to search the pdf version, especially for first aid or costanzo physiology

The only book that is necessary I think is Olinger's anatomy book, especially if they will use that for lab exams etc. (they did for GIGU block for me, because it was when quarantine started), and I do not know if they will use donor pictures or just Olinger book pictures for your class. Another book that is pretty helpful is BRS physio. other than that, class notes is more than enough to do well. Also, I think getting a hard copy of both books I mentioned is unnecessary. perhaps First aid hard copy is a good to have.

yeah even Olingers isn't worth buying. One of our classmates made image occlusion anki cards off the pictures on Olingers, and that's really all you need to do well for the practicals - assuming it's based off those pictures.

We're using Slack for C/O 2024 for anyone that has matriculated. The link is in the Facebook group!

I think you can be accepted until classes start, but I don't know anyone who was accepted after orientation started
Someone from our class got accepted the the day before white coat ceremony

Its pretty early but is anyone considering resources like boards and beyond, firecracker or anything like that?

Its pretty early but is anyone considering resources like boards and beyond, firecracker or anything like that?
I liked BnB for most of the first year classes. But most people ended up buying things at the end of first year for the MOD course

there's a drive with all the books. its found under the important links group in the slack channel.

i downloaded all the decks (including lightyear, pepper, AnKing, etc) and I'm gonna unsuspend only the ones i need for the class.
That's too many decks. They all cover the same info, you need to just pick one and unsuspend from that one.

i downloaded all the decks (including lightyear, pepper, AnKing, etc) and I'm gonna unsuspend only the ones i need for the class.
That’s way too many cards, just pick one deck and stick with it, I highly recommend AnKing since it combines multiple decks already

That's too many decks. They all cover the same info, you need to just pick one and unsuspend from that one.
That’s way too many cards, just pick one deck and stick with it, I highly recommend AnKing since it combines multiple decks already
thank you! i didn't know if they were diff so i just downloaded it all hahahah better to be safe than sorry o_O

Hey if there is anyone that needs a house in Joplin I have a room for rent for 400 with your own bathroom and walk in closet!

How do I download the ebooks required from KCU library website?

I see we can’t download the books from the library we can only access them from it. Can someone share the drive for the books on here?

Hi, I'm not sure what documentation we need to upload to waive the school health insurance. Is it a picture of our insurance card or?

Hi, I'm not sure what documentation we need to upload to waive the school health insurance. Is it a picture of our insurance card or?
yep you go to the SHIP website and start an app, fill out your personal info and add a photo of the front and back of your insurance card then wait for approval.

Does anybody know how competitive it is to get a secondary from Kansas City. I have over a 3.5 undergraduate GPA, my graduate GPA is around 3.5 I have a 507 on the MCAT. I have been in the healthcare industry for 4 years with over 1,000 hours of patient transportation, over 500 hours of shadowing, research experience, volunteering experience. Just shocked that I didn't get offered a secondary at this university.

Does anybody know how competitive it is to get a secondary from Kansas City. I have over a 3.5 undergraduate GPA, my graduate GPA is around 3.5 I have a 507 on the MCAT. I have been in the healthcare industry for 4 years with over 1,000 hours of patient transportation, over 500 hours of shadowing, research experience, volunteering experience. Just shocked that I didn't get offered a secondary at this university.

I got it with exact stats (- grad GPA), and basically scribe experience only... I expect something is off with your application if you didn't get anything... also, wrong thread.. there's a 2020-2021 thread i think

hey, current 1st year student here, you should've definitely got something as my stats in terms of MCAT was lower and i didn't have much shadowing (but did a lot more volunteering and some research). i would call the school to see what's going on but not sure if it's too late. when did you submit your primary?

When do you usually hear back after the interviews? I had mine a couple of weeks ago.