2019-2020 Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (Seton Hill)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Complete 7/9, II 7/15, interviewed 9/23.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Those who have interviewed, did you fly in? If yes, what airport did you come into? Everything is so far away and so I am just wondering if there is another alternative.

Those who have interviewed, did you fly in? If yes, what airport did you come into? Everything is so far away and so I am just wondering if there is another alternative.
I flew into Pittsburgh from Boston and it was definitely pretty inconvenient, but I took a greyhound bus to Greensburg then used Uber to get around.

Members don't see this ad :)
I flew into Pittsburgh from Boston and it was definitely pretty inconvenient, but I took a greyhound bus to Greensburg then used Uber to get around.
Thanks, really helpful. So, you took an uber to the station from the airport?

To those who have interviewed, by what time did everything end?

Thanks, really helpful. So, you took an uber to the station from the airport?
No problem! I actually flew into Pittsburgh airport, took the Mountain Line Transit to the Pittsburgh intermodal station where I took the Greyhound directly to Greensburg. Once in Greensburg, I took an Uber around. When heading back to Pittsburgh, I took the Greyhound bus back to the intermodal station and then there was a variety of options for getting back to airport but I chose Uber. :)

Anyone have any strong thoughts for or against LECOM at Seton Hill or the PBL pathway? Deposits are due by the end of October and I'm trying to decide between LECOM, LMU at Knoxville, and KYCOM. During the interview, the students made it seem like OMM was a little overly stressful at LECOM, plus a few things like not having an anatomy lab seemed a little weird at LECOM, but overall it seemed like a good school and Seton Hill has a beautiful campus. Any thoughts?

No problem! I actually flew into Pittsburgh airport, took the Mountain Line Transit to the Pittsburgh intermodal station where I took the Greyhound directly to Greensburg. Once in Greensburg, I took an Uber around. When heading back to Pittsburgh, I took the Greyhound bus back to the intermodal station and then there was a variety of options for getting back to airport but I chose Uber. :)
Hey, when you were in Greensburg, was it easy to get an Uber from your hotel to the school and other places you visited?

Anyone have any strong thoughts for or against LECOM at Seton Hill or the PBL pathway? Deposits are due by the end of October and I'm trying to decide between LECOM, LMU at Knoxville, and KYCOM. During the interview, the students made it seem like OMM was a little overly stressful at LECOM, plus a few things like not having an anatomy lab seemed a little weird at LECOM, but overall it seemed like a good school and Seton Hill has a beautiful campus. Any thoughts?
I honestly really enjoyed my interview at LECOM seton hill and love the idea/cncept behind the PBL pathway- I think the PBL pathway is definitely not for everyone but it is how physicians go about applying the knowledge they have to treat patients. I love that you are applying the knowledge to a clinical situation, which for me it feels like I would be able to comprehend and retain the material better that way. I also am definitely NOT a lecture person. The 2 main drawbacks I saw for LECOM at Seton hill were minimal research opportunities and no cadaver lab (could be a pro or con), I did not feel like OMM was overly stressed, but I could have missed that vibe.

Does the main erie campus have research opportunities?
Yes, the Erie campus has research opportunities. the seton hill campus has minimal research opportunities because of the small undergrad college on campus and it’s a relatively newer LECOM campus

I'm interviewing here next week and am so excited! Can anyone who has interviewed here before shed some light on the format of the interview? Is it one on two? Is there a group portion? Anything special to prepare for?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interviewing here next week and am so excited! Can anyone who has interviewed here before shed some light on the format of the interview? Is it one on two? Is there a group portion? Anything special to prepare for?

for seton hill it is just a group interview!

My interview here is coming up on Decmber 9th. I am so excited and can't wait to see the campus.
This is my first and thus far only interview. It is crazy to think that my entire life might hinge on this one day. Hopefully the moment will not be too big for me!
I am looking forward to meeting everyone with an interview next Monday!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using SDN mobile

Also, I am staying at the Red Roof and I will have a rental car with me, so if anyone needs a ride, just let me know!

My interview here is coming up on Decmber 9th. I am so excited and can't wait to see the campus.
This is my first and thus far only interview. It is crazy to think that my entire life might hinge on this one day. Hopefully the moment will not be too big for me!
I am looking forward to meeting everyone with an interview next Monday!

Btw when I interviewed they said your interview mattered very little in terms of your admissions decision, so don't sweat it too much! Good Luck!

Just interviewed here and loved it! :) Any idea of how long it's taking them to get out the results letters right now??

So, I interviewed here Monday (December 9th) and I have to say that the campus here is beautiful. Greensburg has a lot more to offer than many people realize. They gave out a magazine that exhibits the surrounding area and my wife has been reading it and getting excited about the possibility of moving there. When I showed her the pictures of the campus, she just loved it.

Regarding the people: Everyone felt genuine and caring. The students we spoke with had great insight into their lives at Seton Hill.

Regarding the interview: it was not bad and I could tell that they were not trying to trick anyone or encourage anyone to make mistakes. Just be yourself and don't let your nerves get the best of you. Also, remember that you are also evaluating them as a choice for your ultimate medical school.

Regarding the PBL demonstration: Wow... I already had suspicions that PBL was the best path for me, but this completely confirmed that sentiment. PBL works exactly the way that I best learn and understand concepts. I can see why PBL leads to such great COMLEX pass rates.

As an example of how PBL ranslates into a real world scenario, imagine being a technician visiting a client who has a piece of equipment that you are unfamiliar with and a problem that you have never seen before. You first call upon your existing knowledge and training to ask specific questions regarding the fault and symptoms. Then, you assume that the client doesn't know what they are doing, and verify the symptoms are correct and not user error. Afterwards, you identify the new information that you need in order to properly troubleshoot the failure on this specific equipment and read up on that information. After that, you use your new and existing knowledge to check the systems in order to identify a root cause of the fault or to identify additional information needed. Finally, you make recommendations on how to correct. When you are done, you have learned a massive amount of information on how these systems work and are able to implement the new knowledge during the next service call.
This is the very reason why experience in any field matters. When you encounter a grizzly old tech who has been working in a field for decades, the knowledge and ability that they have is immense compared to a tech who started a few months ago.

If anyone wants to know, they indicated that the turnaround for a decision is 6-8 weeks via snail mail.
Me personally, I am eagerly awaiting that letter and hoping for an acceptance.

Reactions: 2 users
Just wondering if anyone can tell me whether the people are minority friendly. The demographic I see on Wikipedia is slightly scary and might have to reconsider depending on Uber/Lyft.

Just wondering if anyone can tell me whether the people are minority friendly. The demographic I see on Wikipedia is slightly scary and might have to reconsider depending on Uber/Lyft.
Absolutely nothing that I saw on my interview day showed any preference for or against minorities. The students there are very diverse and friendly and the staff treated everyone equally.
Honestly, they seem to just care about whether you will be a good potential physician, not your demographics.

Absolutely nothing that I saw on my interview day showed any preference for or against minorities. The students there are very diverse and friendly and the staff treated everyone equally.
Honestly, they seem to just care about whether you will be a good potential physician, not your demographics.

Hey, thanks for this. I was actually asking about the townpeople since it's such a small town

I attended interview on Dec 6th at setonhill for DO program. Did anybody hear back from them.

Waitlisted... time to prepare my LOI. I absolutely loved this campus, the people were so warm and friendly, and the PBL session was eye-opening. I will not let this one go without a fight.
Anyone else who is waitlisted, don't give up hope. We have nearly 7 months to get off the waitlist!

I actually just checked the portal and it said I was placed on the waiting list. No snail mail received yet.

Hey guys, any idea where we can send updates to the Seton Hill campus? I just received my grades from last semester and wanted to send an update.

Does anyone have any info on when the "folder items" in the portal are marked complete before the interview?

Does anyone have any info on when the "folder items" in the portal are marked complete before the interview?
they can be marked complete on the day of the interview, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I don't remember if my items were marked complete more than right before my interview!

I know this page is used less than just the Erie page, but should we make a facebook group for LECOM Seton Hill Class of 2024??

Hello future classmate! Betsy said one would be created for us in a recent email
I swore I read that somewhere! I just couldn't find it again when I looked through the emails, so I thought I might have been going crazy haha

II today! Surprised this thread is so dead, do people mostly use the main LECOM thread?

LECOM announced that in 2020 all students will be required to take the USMLE. Very impressed with this school

“ The Spring Semester is here, which means every second-year medical student will be preparing for their first set of medical licensure examinations. Traditionally, osteopathic medical students are required to take the Comprehensive Osteopathic Medical Licensing Examination of the United States (COMLEX-USA) Level 1, and allopathic medical students take the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) Step 1. Starting in 2020 at Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM), second year medical students will be required to take both examinations – we know our students are more-than-adequately prepared, and we want them to have every competitive advantage when applying to their choice of residency programs.”
What’s the point of taking the USMLE now that it’s pass/fail

I'm guessing everyone on the alternate list just got that email update?

I got the email regarding whether I am still interested today. I replied within minutes showing my continued interest. 2 hours later, I checked the portal and a decision has been made with a letter due within 14 days. My heart is racing right now. Mail time is going to be a nightmare for the next two weeks.

Reactions: 5 users
I got the email regarding whether I am still interested today. I replied within minutes showing my continued interest. 2 hours later, I checked the portal and a decision has been made with a letter due within 14 days. My heart is racing right now. Mail time is going to be a nightmare for the next two weeks.
hopefully it's good new! and waiting for the letter in the mail is the worst anticipation, but you got this!

Has anyone done the Zoom interview here? Wondering how long that takes and what it looks like?

Anyone who interviewed with Seton Hill on 4/16 hear back yet?
II received 4/13, interview date (info session) 4/16, 5 minute video submitted 4/16 (it was due 4/21), portal status change "Thank you for interviewing at Seton Hill..." 4/21.
I'm afraid of getting ghosted after my interview. Do you also get rejection letters via mail?

Anyone who interviewed with Seton Hill on 4/16 hear back yet?
II received 4/13, interview date (info session) 4/16, 5 minute video submitted 4/16 (it was due 4/21), portal status change "Thank you for interviewing at Seton Hill..." 4/21.
I'm afraid of getting ghosted after my interview. Do you also get rejection letters via mail?
yup. They will send you a single envelope letter regardless if you are accepted, waitlisted, or rejected.

Any updates as far as the WL goes? Been waitlisted since mid March.

Added to the Alternate list for Seton Hill