2019-2020 Loma Linda

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Loma Linda University

Members don't see this ad.

Just got an email that I will receive a secondary in mid-July. Anyone else?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does Loma Linda only accept Christian students? As an agnostic who does not attend religious services, the secondary questions from last year are making me question whether or not I should even apply.

Does Loma Linda only accept Christian students? As an agnostic who does not attend religious services, the secondary questions from last year are making me question whether or not I should even apply.
I don't think they only accept Christians, though you should know that they do require you to attend courses on religion. Also, not only is this a dry campus but they don't even allow caffeine on campus.

I don't think they only accept Christians, though you should know that they do require you to attend courses on religion. Also, not only is this a dry campus but they don't even allow caffeine on campus.
LOL, that's worse than Bob Jones. I'd be like taking shots of 5-hour energy in the bathroom stall. :rofl:

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary received, but realized that I don't want to live in California... good luck to all of you!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys see character/word limits on these prompts? i saw from last year's thread that the responses were 750 characters, but I don't see anything of that nature on my portal. Thanks! :)

Yeah I am interested in this as well!

For my fellow premeds who are interested in Loma Linda, I just called their admissions office and asked what the character count limit is for their essays, and they said there is no limit. But they do expect us to write essays concisely.

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users
For my fellow premeds who are interested in Loma Linda, I just called their admissions office and asked what the character count limit is for their essays, and they said there is no limit. But they do expect us to write essays concisely.
Thank you for calling and sharing!

@PapaGuava
Prompts:

No limits

1. What makes Loma Linda University School of Medicine (LLUSM) particularly attractive to you?
2. Describe the extent and source of your knowledge of LLUSM.
3. What personal attributes make you a desirable candidate for admission to LLUSM?
4. Identify experiences in your life that illustrate your service to others?
5. Discuss how your spiritual origins, development, and experiences have influenced and been integrated into your daily life.
6. Do you regularly attend or participate in the services of a church or religious group? (yes/no)
6a. Please comment
6b. Name of clergy or religious leader
6c. Telephone number of clergy or religious leader
6d. What is your religious affiliation? (drop-down menu)
7. As a Christian educational institution the medical curriculum integrates a spiritual, ethical, and relational issues from a Christian perspective into the practice of medicine. Weekly chapel services and religion courses are part of this program. Please respond to the above as it relates to your personal educational and career goals.
8. Loma Linda University is a Seventh-day Adventist institution that has lifestyle expectations that include abstinence from alcohol, nicotine, cannabinoids, and illicit drugs/substances in all forms. Describe any use of these substances within the past year.
9a. If accepted to LLUSM, are you willing to abstain from alcohol, nicotine, cannabinoid, and illicit drug/substance use? (yes/no)
9b. Please explain
10. If you have already graduated, describe your activities since graduation and your planned activities prior to matriculation into medical school.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
$2000+ a month for a 2bd apartment is a little rich for my blood is all. The weather is nice
True, it's really expensive-- but my family is here so it'd be nice to be in California for the next 4 years haha

I submitted, but oops, I accidentally pasted the same answer to two question (thankfully they are just the ones re: substance use so hopefully its no big deal)
This is to remind everyone to re-read the question and your answers to ALL questions (even when its a yes/no or short/straightforward question)

Don't be like me

@PapaGuava
Prompts:

No limits

1. What makes Loma Linda University School of Medicine (LLUSM) particularly attractive to you?
2. Describe the extent and source of your knowledge of LLUSM.
3. What personal attributes make you a desirable candidate for admission to LLUSM?
4. Identify experiences in your life that illustrate your service to others?
5. Discuss how your spiritual origins, development, and experiences have influenced and been integrated into your daily life.
6. Do you regularly attend or participate in the services of a church or religious group? (yes/no)
6a. Please comment
6b. Name of clergy or religious leader
6c. Telephone number of clergy or religious leader
6d. What is your religious affiliation? (drop-down menu)
7. As a Christian educational institution the medical curriculum integrates a spiritual, ethical, and relational issues from a Christian perspective into the practice of medicine. Weekly chapel services and religion courses are part of this program. Please respond to the above as it relates to your personal educational and career goals.
8. Loma Linda University is a Seventh-day Adventist institution that has lifestyle expectations that include abstinence from alcohol, nicotine, cannabinoids, and illicit drugs/substances in all forms. Describe any use of these substances within the past year.
9a. If accepted to LLUSM, are you willing to abstain from alcohol, nicotine, cannabinoid, and illicit drug/substance use? (yes/no)
9b. Please explain
10. If you have already graduated, describe your activities since graduation and your planned activities prior to matriculation into medical school.

Good luck!
As a Christian who is applying to this school in part, because I like the idea of studying at a Christian university, how are you guys dealing with the insane redundancy of these questions?

Answers:
1. I love Jesus. You love Jesus.
2. You love Jesus. I read about it online.
3. I love Jesus.
4. I serve, because I love Jesus.
5. I have loved Jesus since _______.
6. Yes, I love Jesus.
7. I love learning about Jesus.
8. Not much. I love Jesus.
9. No problem. I love Jesus.
10. Loving Jesus.

Seriously though, I started answering a question, and realized it would be better used for another. Then I moved the answer to another question. Then I realized I could put the same answer for like four different questions. I am stuck on the personal attributes question now. For the Christian applying to a very Christian school, 3 and 5 are identical.

• Haha
Reactions: 16 users
As a Christian who is applying to this school in part, because I like the idea of studying at a Christian university, how are you guys dealing with the insane redundancy of these questions?

Answers:
3. I love Jesus.
6. Yes, I love Jesus.
10. Loving Jesus.

Seriously though, I started answering a question, and realized it would be better used for another. Then I moved the answer to another question. Then I realized I could put the same answer for like four different questions. I am stuck on the personal attributes question now. For the Christian applying to a very Christian school, 3 and 5 are identical.
Hey bluerock, I'm also Christian and I feel you
But they way I approached the questions is through bringing up experiences that demonstrate an attribute that the question asks, and these experiences don't necessarily have to be explicitly a Christian activity
Hopefully that helps with diversifying your answers a bit!

But they way I approached the questions is through bringing up experiences that demonstrate an attribute that the question asks, and these experiences don't necessarily have to be explicitly a Christian activity

I was thinking of this as well and relating to common ground with Christian values

Answers:
3. I love Jesus.
6. Yes, I love Jesus.
10. Loving Jesus.

:lol::rofl::lol:This made my day thanks.

Side note- as a Latter Day Saint filling this out:
Them: do you use alcohol, nicotine, cannabinoids, and illicit drugs/substances?
Me: Homie I don't even drink coffee let's go.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Looks like I missed the first wave of secondaries! I got the "received application" email on 7/10.

LizzyM 70.4, cGPA 3.64, sGPA 3.52, MCAT 515. In-state Christian (not SDA). Very much looking forward to Loma Linda, I feel like I have my best chances here, but we'll see. Hope this cycle will work out. Good luck everyone!

Looks like I missed the first wave of secondaries! I got the "received application" email on 7/10.

LizzyM 70.4, cGPA 3.64, sGPA 3.52, MCAT 515. In-state Christian (not SDA). Very much looking forward to Loma Linda, I feel like I have my best chances here, but we'll see. Hope this cycle will work out. Good luck everyone!
I didn't get them yet either. I just have a bunch of vacay that starts in a week. I'm hoping to be entirely done with secondaries by then. I got a confirmation email from them 7/2.

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I eventually just started digging through their "Spiritual Plan" online, looking for character attributes they value, and writing about how I have pursued them by the grace of God. I don't want to give them the impression that I don't respect the questions, but this is 22 of 25 secondaries and by far the biggest violation to what scrap of humility I have left.

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I eventually just started digging through their "Spiritual Plan" online, looking for character attributes they value, and writing about how I have pursued them by the grace of God. I don't want to give them the impression that I don't respect the questions, but this is 22 of 25 secondaries and by far the biggest violation to what scrap of humility I have left.
Hang in there, 22 secondaries is a lot but with God all things are possible!

Reactions: 3 users
Ok so "concisely" can mean so many different things... What are you guys doing? I'm keeping mine all under 350 words.

Ok so "concisely" can mean so many different things... What are you guys doing? I'm keeping mine all under 350 words.
I did this too. I basically just chose three things to mention for each question. Wasn't sure what else to do. I actually prefer a reasonable character limit so that I have guidelines.

So far, my answers range from 33 words to 488 words. I would keep them all under 500, and ideally below 300, but if you've got a good story or you're feeling inspired, go for it. Just do not bore the readers and do not fluff stuff up.

So far, my answers range from 33 words to 488 words. I would keep them all under 500, and ideally below 300, but if you've got a good story or you're feeling inspired, go for it. Just do not bore the readers and do not fluff stuff up.

This was my mentality as well: succinctly tell good stories with no fluff or wordiness.
I kept everything under 400 words.

When they asked me to upload an ID photo:

Capture.JPG

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
Secondary received at 1 am this morning lol

The question about my usage of any substances within the past year has me scratching my head. Do they want me to tell them that I drink socially? What are your thoughts?

The question about my usage of any substances within the past year has me scratching my head. Do they want me to tell them that I drink socially? What are your thoughts?

That's exactly what they're asking. Personally, I drink very rarely, maybe like one drink every few weeks, but I'll be disclosing that. They're not ignorant; they likely expect that a large majority of their applicants and eventual students at least drink for social occasions. They're more concerned with whether or not you'll be willing to abide by their policy of abstinence from alcohol/substances while a student there.

How you respond to this line of questions indicates to them how well you are going to adhere to their student conduct codes. (The full 200+ page manual is online.) I would answer it truthfully. If you drink at all, you need to explain how you're going to go four years completely dry. If you get drunk every weekend, you're going to need to explain that a little more. Do not lie. They will know. If you sincerely do not drink or use drugs, and you aren't religiously motivated to abstain, it will help to share why as well.

(They won't)

But seriously, this isn't a difficult question. Just be honest and then discuss whether you're willing to abide by their lifestyle requirements. Any applicant can lie, but I assume it wouldn't be a particularly enjoyable 4 years as a student if they get in.

Reactions: 2 users
Someone who does not drink on moral reasoning, but clearly does not come from a conservative religious community is probably being dishonest. If you get an interview, they will find a way to make sure your theology or convictions align with your behaviors. Even if you succeed at tricking them and get admissions, lying about who you are for four years will make you miserable.

Just say you drink socially and will abide by the university policies. They know people drink, it's not gonna prevent you from getting an acceptance. Lying about it might prevent you though.

Secondary submitted 7/19, under review 7/22, got my interview invite today! (7/24) I did apply early decision though, as per the advice of the dean of admissions.
Congrats!! Do you mind if I ask your stats?

Kind of wishing I was a SDA right now lol. LLUSM usually sends out IIs during October right?

As a worshiper of Satan I cannot accurately advise you in your endeavor...

Do we still have to directly send our transcripts to them or are they using AMCAS for that now?