2019-2020 Loma Linda

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone receive an interview yet? If so, when did you submit your secondary?
#stillwaiting
Yeah I've checked last year's thread and the first II for Loma Linda came out October 9! So we got at least a month to wait.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Faith is always about patience, my friends

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I already turned in my application and secondary, but should I get my pastor to write me a LOR if I am very active in the sda church and youth leader in my church? All my letters are for all my apps and are docs and a professor. Does loma linda really appreciate a clergy letter?

If it makes you a stronger candidate, why not?
I already turned in my application and secondary, but should I get my pastor to write me a LOR if I am very active in the sda church and youth leader in my church? All my letters are for all my apps and are docs and a professor. Does loma linda really appreciate a clergy letter?
[/QUOTE

Is it useless to submit a secondary at this point if I live on the east coast and am Catholic but not involved enough to list a religious contact?
They send out the first interviews in mid October so I would say submit it, Loma Linda does everything late. Even without a religious contact, if you have the cash better to try than to not have any chance at all.

Reactions: 1 users
patience is a virtue but this wait is killing me

Reactions: 5 users
patience is a virtue but this wait is killing me

I’ve been dreaming about scary ghosts every day for two weeks now and I find myself praying in the middle of the night.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Is it useless to submit a secondary at this point if I live on the east coast and am Catholic but not involved enough to list a religious contact?
Take this with a grain of salt, but I've heard from a student here that this school isn't super friendly towards Catholics because the SDA church has a history of being pretty anti-Catholic. I'm Catholic myself and ultimately decided not to submit my secondary here. That being said, my application makes it pretty obvious since I'm pretty heavily involved with the church and I have an LOR from a Catholic priest.

However, if you're comfortable with this I would say go for it. You never know unless you try.

Does anyone know if they actually even contact the religious contact that you list on the app?

Does anyone know how many people they interview at a time?

Members don't see this ad :)
My mother retired from Loma Linda med center after 30 years of service. We are catholics. She did not see anything that suggested discrimination or bias against other religions. She Wasn’t a medical student, but new many of them. she would have loved to see her grandson attend med school here. God willing, she will from heaven. Her grandson is applying. Good luck to everyone.
I've read a personal account from an MS2 here who said that the medical school itself tends to be pretty cliquey. Most of the students are either SDA or some kind of Protestant Christian and if you don't fit into that category then you're kind of excluded. So if you're Catholic or anything else outside the box you will be the minority and you'll have to be okay with that. Not saying it's necessarily good or bad, just something to be aware of.

Your mother sounds like an amazing person and I'm sure she accomplished many great things and did a lot of good in her time at Loma Linda.

Did anyone get an "under review" email recently?

I submitted my secondary on August 9th and got an "application in review" email on August 20th, nothing else since then

I did, I was complete end of August and got one a couple days ago. Portal changed slightly from it saying "secondary application complete" with a "test checklist" at the very bottom of the portal, to just the general message of how they review each app individually with no cutoffs and it'll take them some time for them to get back to us (I'm paraphrasing), with an area to add updates at the very bottom.

I did, I was complete end of August and got one a couple days ago. Portal changed slightly from it saying "secondary application complete" with a "test checklist" at the very bottom of the portal, to just the general message of how they review each app individually with no cutoffs and it'll take them some time for them to get back to us (I'm paraphrasing), with an area to add updates at the very bottom.
Mine just says "submitted" and has the whole time...ehhhhh hope I'm not behind.

You guys made me nervous when I got the notifications

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

• Haha
Okay, so I am LDS (Mormon) but pretty liberal in my views and ideals. I like what I am reading about their focus on Christ and especially God's love, but how conservative of an environment is Loma Linda? I live in Utah now and really miss the diversity of Texas (where I am from). How are LGBT people treated? How diverse is the student body and faculty? How do they view Latter-day Saints?

A bit late but got an II Thursday

Last edited:
  • Love
A bit late but got an II Thursday. Called today to confirm Nov 21st as my interview date
Congrats! Would you mind sharing complete date and stats? thanks!!

Just got an II! Dates are in Dec to January. Excited to visit Cali haha

• Love
I was complete on August 9th, and received II today October 16th!

I was notified via email! I am not SDA, but I strongly identify as Christian and was raised in a Presbyterian church. I also attended a private Christian college!

Any other non-SDA interviews get sent out?

Received an II today! Complete 7/27. Christian, but not SDA.

So...now I gotta figure out how to get there all the way from the east coast. Ontario airport?

Received an II today! Complete 7/27. Christian, but not SDA.

So...now I gotta figure out how to get there all the way from the east coast. Ontario airport?

Ontario airport is definitely way closer than LAX. I would forsure try to get a flight there, but if not just be prepared to be in traffic going from LAX to Loma linda area.

Surprised and excited to have received an II today! Also Christian, non-SDA.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
II just now! Grew up in the SDA community with very strong ties to the La Sierra SDA community. Good luck to everybody who has received interview invites already and I’m sure they are coming soon for those who have not!

• Love
Feel free to post stats if comfortable ;)

II just now! Grew up in the SDA community with very strong ties to the La Sierra SDA community. Good luck to everybody who has received interview invites already and I’m sure they are coming soon for those who have not!
II via phone or email?

I'm a little scared to ask, but I submitted my primary before I saw that they have a physician shadowing requirement. I worked in healthcare in my undergrad; in the 14 years since graduation, I've observed many different medical professionals as a patient or friend/relative of a patient, but I have zero actual physician shadowing experience. Is it worth my time to submit the secondary? LLU aligns with my personal values; I have over 1000 hours of volunteer service in my church and lots of teaching experience. My GPA is 3.72 and MCAT is 511.

I'd be concerned about all of your applications. Most schools want some shadowing, like at least 40 hours. The only experience that really doubles is scribe work. MAs, CNAs, and nurses have great experiences, but it's a lot different when you're peering over a doctor's shoulder.

Under review: 10/17
II: 10/29
SDA, public university
First post on here, hoping to help some people out. Excited for the interview nonetheless!