NathanB

2+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey, I am a current student rising into my third year at Loyola. Last year we recorded a podcast interview with the Dean of Admissions, Sunny Nakae, where she talks about her admissions philosophy, common mistakes applicants make, and Loyola's mission in general. We recorded this in November of last year right before she left Loyola for a position at University of California Riverside, however I think the content will still be VERY useful for anyone considering the Stritch School of Medicine. The new Dean of Admissions, Darrell Nabers was promoted internally and his outlook and perspective shouldn't differ much.

You can listen to it by going to this link: Ep03 | Must-Hear Discussion on Medical School Admissions by Medicus • A podcast on Anchor but you can also find it on itunes, google, or any other podcast app by searching for "Medicus" or going to https://medicuspodcast.com/listen/

At the very least you should listen to it during your airplane ride to Chicago if you are invited for an interview because it will be a super high-yield resource to understand the admissions process at Loyola. If you are interested in digging deeper into the culture of Stritch you might consider listening to some of the other episodes as well.

Good luck!

Dec 7, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey, I am a current student rising into my third year at Loyola. Last year we recorded a podcast interview with the Dean of Admissions, Sunny Nakae, where she talks about her admissions philosophy, common mistakes applicants make, and Loyola's mission in general. We recorded this in November of last year right before she left Loyola for a position at University of California Riverside, however I think the content will still be VERY useful for anyone considering the Stritch School of Medicine. The new Dean of Admissions, Darrell Nabers was promoted internally and his outlook and perspective shouldn't differ much.

You can listen to it by going to this link: Ep03 | Must-Hear Discussion on Medical School Admissions by Medicus • A podcast on Anchor but you can also find it on itunes, google, or any other podcast app by searching for "Medicus" or going to https://medicuspodcast.com/listen/

At the very least you should listen to it during your airplane ride to Chicago if you are invited for an interview because it will be a super high-yield resource to understand the admissions process at Loyola. If you are interested in digging deeper into the culture of Stritch you might consider listening to some of the other episodes as well.

Good luck!
I plan to listen while at the gym tomorrow morning. I do have a question for you though. Does your current Dean still look at students who are utilizing reinvention for an interview?

May 10, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical

Good luck!
Thank you!! I find podcasts with Admissions Deans extremely helpful, so I appreciate the link. Good luck to everyone applying to SSOM this cycle!

Reactions: NathanB

rune2h

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
May 2, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Was just checking the stats for the 18-19 cycle and looks like Loyola had the most apps of any school with 15,000. Truly, we are applying in unprecedented times :1oops:

May 9, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical

Good luck!
Thank you so much for this. I do a podcast at my Alma Mater for Career and Writing Services. I know how hard it can be. Great insight thank you!!

Reactions: NathanB

NathanB

2+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I plan to listen while at the gym tomorrow morning. I do have a question for you though. Does your current Dean still look at students who are utilizing reinvention for an interview?
Thanks, I hope it was useful. I'm honestly not sure what you mean by reinvention. I would contact the admissions office if you have any questions that aren't answered on the website. Good luck with the cycle!

aek46

2+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks so much, @NathanB, for the podcast!

Listened to it while brainstorming for the secondary, and definitely connected w/ many of her ideas.

Aug 26, 2018

Good luck!
Thank you for the podcast! This made me even more excited to apply to SSOM, I resonated with a lot of the things Dean Nakae discussed.

Reactions: Applying4Funzies
Aug 10, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
This may have been mentioned elsewhere- but what do people mean by low yield? Thank you!
15000 people applying for 165 spots. Roughly 1% acceptance.

Reactions: trups

rdyotz

2+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't think meepdog was specifically mentioning OOS as low yield (2/3 of the class is OOS), but Loyola in general as low yield. Cornfed summed it up well: 15,015 apps for 165 seats = ~1.1% acceptance rate. Harvard also has 165 seats, but only 7645 apps, so roughly twice the acceptance rate. Granted acceptance rates don't tell the whole story, but it can give you an idea. From the schools I have looked at, private schools tend to have acceptance rates closer to 2%.

Feb 17, 2019
Status
Non-Student
I don't think meepdog was specifically mentioning OOS as low yield (2/3 of the class is OOS), but Loyola in general as low yield. Cornfed summed it up well: 15,015 apps for 165 seats = ~1.1% acceptance rate. Harvard also has 165 seats, but only 7645 apps, so roughly twice the acceptance rate. Granted acceptance rates don't tell the whole story, but it can give you an idea. From the schools I have looked at, private schools tend to have acceptance rates closer to 2%.
This is in fact what I was going for, the school doesn't seem to have much of a preference IS/OOS at all. Thanks for clearing it up.

Zen Arcade

2+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
It should be taken into account though that their the school is not really 'Low Yield' when you are around their median stats. There are a lot of high stat and very low stat applicants who apply that don't really fit the mission or the stat range of the school. So if you took them out of the total 15,000 apps, the acceptance rate is actually a lot more nice. You have to be in their stats range to have the highest chance of getting consideration. People with a 510 have a much better chance at interview than those with 500 or 520. Also, they are a service oriented school, so those with a good amount of volunteer and service work will be more likely to get an interview. I think it is worth it to apply if you have service and have an MCAT from 503-516.

Reactions: trups

Ms. Incognito

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
2+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
It should be taken into account though that their the school is not really 'Low Yield' when you are around their median stats. There are a lot of high stat and very low stat applicants who apply that don't really fit the mission or the stat range of the school. So if you took them out of the total 15,000 apps, the acceptance rate is actually a lot more nice. You have to be in their stats range to have the highest chance of getting consideration. People with a 510 have a much better chance at interview than those with 500 or 520. Also, they are a service oriented school, so those with a good amount of volunteer and service work will be more likely to get an interview. I think it is worth it to apply if you have service and have an MCAT from 503-516.
That holistic review they tout needs to come through lol but seriously though!

rdyotz

2+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
True, but that logic can be used on every school (obviously scaled to their respective stats).