2019-2020 Mayo Clinic (Alix), Arizona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
But I already did...

Hmm, maybe submit another with updates if you have any? Sorry I can’t be of much help, but we all know Mayo is fine with multiple demonstrations of commitment.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
also WL yesterday/Wednesday

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Well... looks like everyone was waitlisted

Possibly. Most people do not post rejections though. Minnesota only had 1 rejection posted (despite multiple occurring), and it occurred after acceptances went out, but before the fiasco occurred.

100% hope, 10% certainty

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone still hasn’t heard anything?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I really think they waitlisted everyone. I called the office and they wouldn’t tell me what the chances were for seeing movement. I even asked how many were waitlisted so I could know my own odds, but they wouldn’t say. How did people know in previous years that it was 150 waitlisted?

Reactions: 2 users
I really think they waitlisted everyone. I called the office and they wouldn’t tell me what the chances were for seeing movement. I even asked how many were waitlisted so I could know my own odds, but they wouldn’t say. How did people know in previous years that it was 150 waitlisted?

They told us the ~150 number during the interview, granted that was before the Minnesota incident.

Edit: MSAR reports 150-200 per campus with 30 coming off the waitlist (presumably split between the 2 campuses).

Going to report that there have been 70 accepted

• Wow
The FB email was sent to 62 people (not bcc'd).

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Those who received financial aid packages, how did you feel about the award amount? More than, just at, or less than expected?

Definitely less than I expected. I thought Mayo was supposed to be extremely generous.
Same.

Their average student debt is supposed to be $80,000. Despite being from a low-income family, which they supposedly consider, my debt would still be MUCH larger than $80,000 before interest.

EDIT: MSAR this year says $100.000, I think it was $80,000 last year. Regardless, my point still stands.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those who received financial aid packages, how did you feel about the award amount? More than, just at, or less than expected?

Somewhere between less than or just at. More or less covered tuition, the rest of CoA will be loans.

Same.

Their average student debt is supposed to be $80,000. Despite being from a low-income family, which they supposedly consider, my debt would still be MUCH larger than $80,000 before interest.

I thought average indebtedness isn't always the best because it counts people who get money from their parents to pay for school or who get obscene scholarships (including full tuition ones like military, Geffen scholars, etc). It skews it significantly down in comparison to your "typical" graduate from their program.

There was a statistic floating around somewhere that many medical students tend to be well off. An even higher proportion of students at top medical schools are well off as well. It's not abnormal for the 200k loans or whatever is leftover to be covered by their family, for instance. Also since tuition/CoL/other expenses rises every year, your indebtedness will always be higher.

Somewhere between less than or just at. More or less covered tuition, the rest of CoA will be loans.

I thought average indebtedness isn't always the best because it counts people who get money from their parents to pay for school or who get obscene scholarships (including full tuition ones like military, Geffen scholars, etc). It skews it significantly down in comparison to your "typical" graduate from their program.

There was a statistic floating around somewhere that many medical students tend to be well off. An even higher proportion of students at top medical schools are well off as well. It's not abnormal for the 200k loans or whatever is leftover to be covered by their family, for instance. Also since tuition/CoL/other expenses rises every year, your indebtedness will always be higher.
You do have a point. But the fact that Mayo has a lower reported indebtedness compared to even schools with generous need-based aid (WashU, Stanford, Harvard, Columbia etc) just made me expect then to be more generous, especially as an applicant with FAP-eligible family income.

But yeah, I guess they're either being misleading or cutting down on offering aid.

• Wow
You do have a point. But the fact that Mayo has a lower reported indebtedness compared to even schools with generous need-based aid (WashU, Stanford, Harvard, Columbia etc) just made me expect then to be more generous, especially as an applicant with FAP-eligible family income.

But yeah, I guess they're either being misleading or cutting down on offering aid.

I don't think they can mislead that number, as AAMC/LCME verifies at least some of that stuff. That being said, I am quite surprised at the lower than expected financial aid considering the recent Alix donation.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say misleading, lol. Just random "convenient" factors that lower the indebtness.

cutting down on offering aid
This would be weird since they got 200 million literally a year ago to, in part, increase scholarship aid from Mr. Alix himself

The most you can get at Mayo is full-tuition - they don’t give any awards to cover any living expenses etc.

The most you can get at Mayo is full-tuition - they don’t give any awards to cover any living expenses etc.

Makes sense, quick search showed all the "full rides" I've seen were all full tuition for Mayo. The full CoA scholarships are gonna scoop some students away lol

Not that I'm doubting, is there a source for this? I just want to look into it more and take that into consideration when negotiating aid.

Not that I'm doubting, is there a source for this? I just want to look into it more and take that into consideration when negotiating aid.
Can confirm, scholarships are tuition scholarships not COA. Not aware of any students except those on military scholarships who receive anything above tuition

I was told this by the financial aid director when I received my financial aid In 2018. It’s possible things have changed - you can always ask.

Does anyone know when WL movement here typically begins?

Anyone know if Second Look is gonna be cancelled or if it's still on for next weekend?

I've only heard about NY, WA, and CA schools canceling, but the less affected states like AZ should hopefully be okay. It seems like Maricopa county hasn't been affected that much (~3 cases) and there's only 50 or so of us. I hope it's not cancelled. :(

While I do not know what they are planning to do with second look (I assume it will still go on as planned, as it is only a week away and they have not mentioned anything), I received this note from volunteer services (Arizona campuses):

Suspend hosting large gatherings
Mayo Clinic has asked that all large group gatherings be suspended including medical conferences and Continuing Professional Development (CPD) events. For now, it is recommended that internal large meetings (more than 20 people) be moved to a streamed/videoconference option.

I would recommend contacting admissions prior to traveling just in case.

• Hmm
  • Wow
So they're really going to call everyone? To be honest, there are a few questions I am not too comfortable asking administration, on top of the possibility I might not get a wholly transparent or relevant answer compared to asking students.

So they're really going to call everyone? To be honest, there are a few questions I am not too comfortable asking administration, on top of the possibility I might not get a wholly transparent or relevant answer compared to asking students.

Do they have a Facebook group? Or you can ask to be put in contact with students to ask them.

My caller said a student will be reaching out, so save those questions for later or the student panel. I think it's surprising but very sweet they're calling us all, and it's a good chance to ask questions students probably wouldn't be able to answer.