2019-2020 Mayo Clinic (Alix), Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have screenshots that could end you Mayo. I remember you begging for me

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Smh, not even an offer of a giftcard?!

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 18 users
**** this response. It is still extremely cold and really not apologetic at all.

Dear Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine Applicant,

On Thursday, February 13, 2020, you received a letter indicating your appointment to the Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine. The letter requested that you accept the offer of the appointment within two weeks.

Due to a technical error the appointment letter was sent to you in error, and Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine hereby withdraws the offer to appoint you to the medical school. We regret that this occurred. The school is still in the process of making appointments through early next week. We will be sure to assist you with any questions or concerns as the situation is corrected. If you have any questions, please contact Zach Huston at 904-953-7897 or Sandy Robinson at 904-953-0557.

Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine Office of Admissions

It is -1˚ in Rochester, but somehow, this letter is even colder. Really wish it was at least more friendly and acknowledging of our emotions...

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 26 users
Wtf I’m not sure if this new email straight up means I got rejected or if they still might call me. but I’m just going to give up hope at this point, it’s been a nice run guys

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
DyqSKoaX4AATc2G.jpg

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 19 users
Ok I'm sure we have smart and creative people here.
How are we gonna make sure it takes Mayo years to live this down? Ideas???

Looking at their "apology" email it's obvious that the plan is to sweep this under the rug. We can't let this happen.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I really, really liked Mayo when I visited, and I found their communications to us throughout this whole process to be really friendly and warm. I'm shocked that this is how they handled this.

"We deeply regret this mistake, and although we are still identifying what went wrong in our system, we would like to apologize for any false hopes it created. We know this is a time of tremendous stress for applicants, so please accept our sincere apology."

That took me 20 seconds to type.

• Sad
Reactions: 39 users

Looking at their "apology" email it's obvious that the plan is to sweep this under the rug. We can't let this happen.
They don’t care because they’re still going to get more qualified applicants than they can accept next year. If anything, AMCAS needs to have sanctions for things like this.

@koalaburrito I’m not saying it’s fair. I’m just saying that’s why they put 0 effort into pretending to be sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 users

1581627737163.png

Reactions: 5 users
*cue conversation with spouse*

Mayo admissions dean: "geez sucks that you messed up on the project. that was huge for your firm..."

Spouse: "Bro. you literally fake accepted hundreds of students at one of the best programs in the country. lay off."

They don’t care because they’re still going to get more qualified applicants than they can accept next year. If anything, AMCAS needs to have sanctions for things like this.
NYT is writing an article as we speak. In my head.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
They should juat tell us out status straight up instead of limbo

Reactions: 8 users
I also hope they didn't fire Teresa or make her a scapegoat. She was nice and really helpful with communication throughout the process. I also doubt she had the power to accept all of us. I assume it was one of the higher-ups who made the mistake.

Reactions: 7 users

@koalaburrito chill I’m not saying it’s fair. I’m just saying that’s why they put 0 effort into pretending to be sorry.
I'm thumbing MAYO down, not you homie!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
We should all show up to first day of class with the acceptance letters printed and when they ask be like "hmm idk why I'm not showing up on your roster, must be another glitch"

• Haha
Reactions: 17 users
Also... Anyone who ends up not matriculating after being accepted... PLEASE TELL THEM YOU ARE REJECTING THEM BECAUSE OF THIS DISASTER.

Reactions: 12 users
I also hope they didn't fire Teresa or make her a scapegoat. She was nice and really helpful with communication throughout the process. I also doubt she had the power to accept all of us. I assume it was one of the higher-ups who made the mistake.

Yeah I agree. Ms. Koski was really friendly, and if it was a technical error it might not even be her domain. Even though I am frustrated, everyone also makes mistakes. This sucked, but I'd feel terrible if she lost her job for it.

Reactions: 5 users
I didn’t even apply, just here for the drama. But in all seriousness, this is horrible, and I feel for those affected :(

• Sad
Reactions: 10 users
They gonna blame it on that Russia hacked their cycle....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
It is -1˚ in Rochester, but somehow, this letter is even colder. Really wish it was at least more friendly and acknowledging of our emotions...
By no means am I attempting to defend Mayo from this atrocious error, but I am sure they refrained from apologizing because that would imply an admission of guilt. From a legal perspective, they were probably counseled to not apologize.

Anyway, I am so sorry to anyone who has to deal with the complex emotions this incident stirred up.

Hi, I'm Michael Barbaro and THIS is the Daily.

Today...hundreds of medical school applicants learned they were accepted to the prestigious Mayo Clinic. But...the acceptances were...a mistake.

• Haha
Reactions: 17 users
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
By no means am I attempting to defend Mayo from this atrocious error, but I am sure they refrained from apologizing because that would imply an admission of guilt. From a legal perspective, they were probably counseled to not apologize.

Anyway, I am so sorry to anyone who has to deal with the complex emotions this incident stirred up.

Yeah, perhaps. I mean they said it was a technical error? So seems like they acknowledged the mistake. Who knows...it's tough. All we can do is hope and try to find some humor in this all.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh no. God, no. I told everyone! I sent the screenshot of my acceptance. We already planned a party tonight. Sweet Jesus, why? My acceptance was rescinded. I withdrew other offers that were “below” Mayo in my priority list. Why didn’t I look on here first? What the hell is this? If I don’t get accepted, I won’t be going to medical school anymore.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 63 users
Oh no. God, no. I told everyone! I sent the screenshot of my acceptance. We already planned a party tonight. Sweet Jesus, why? My acceptance was rescinded. I withdrew other offers that were “below” Mayo in my priority list. Why didn’t I look on here first? What the hell is this? If I don’t get accepted, I won’t be going to medical school anymore.
Can you email your other offers ASAP and explain the miscommunication from the Mayo admissions office? Say something like “you were hoping to free up a spot for another student since Mayo was one of your top choices”. It might be worth a shot before they process your withdrawal.

Reactions: 24 users